Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

more falafel please posted:

Good call, that works for the tailstock! Unfortunately I can't extend the headstock, and it looks like it's bottoming out about 1/8" before it would seat:

Anything I can do short of grinding some metal off the end (I'm probably not going to do that)?

I'll definitely want this to mount in the tailstock for drilling holes, but what I want to use it for now is to mount a mandrel for turning handles for things with threaded inserts, so I need to do that in the headstock. I guess I could use a spur center in the headstock and mount the mandrel in the tailstock and just turn it that way with a bit of waste on the headstock end?

edit: tried to go at it with a hacksaw after seeing folks on turning forums talking about grinding the tang off. 5 minutes in and it's basically just a scratch.

Angle grinder will sort that out in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

His Divine Shadow posted:

Angle grinder will sort that out in no time.

Yeah, I don't have one, but I did remember that I have a Dremel. Not sure I'd call it "no time", but I got it cut off and it fits well now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Edit: whoops, late with the answer.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Making a table for my Ooni pizza oven, will live outside on my patio exposed to the sun/rain 24/7.

Had some buggy poplar I bought a few years ago. I had tossed this stuff behind the firewood pile and forgotten about once I saw all the beetle tracks in it (FYI don't buy cheap air dried lumber off Craigslist). Hit it with the pressure washer and it cleaned up pretty good, was surprised it hadn't rotted.

Got it planed up and dry fit:

Lumber yard is closed on Sunday so I paid a premium for some cedar at home depot

Got it glued up, used dowels for alignment. Still needed cauls because the boards were practically cupping as I watched.

Now you're all caught up, I need to figure out a finish. I'm thinking I want to paint the poplar black and clear coat the cedar with something. My HD (and all local places) doesn't have spar urethane. Any other suggestions? I'd like it to be food safe (for prepping dough) so leaving it bare is out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the home depot cedar is still wet (you mentioned cupping as you watched), I suggest don't seal it yet. You want the wood stable before you seal it up. If it's gonna sit outside, the best sealant is spar urethane: any sort of deck or fence sealant will also work, for a bit less cost but also less or no UV protection.

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so maybe buy one of these boys and make the table compatible with it? (I'm planning to turn part of my bench into the router table)

https://trenddirectuk.com/trend-rt-fence-a-router-table-back-fence.html

Yeah I don't know UK brands or anything but that price seems reasonable and that's the sort of router fence I'm talking about, with the adjustable opening and split sides.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Is there anything more satisfying then semi winging a project and having it actually line up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
There is not.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ddiddles posted:

Is there anything more satisfying then semi winging a project and having it actually line up.

I know that miter gauge. That is a good miter gauge.

*channels Chris Isaak* ~Best I've ever seen~

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

I know that miter gauge. That is a good miter gauge.

*channels Chris Isaak* ~Best I've ever seen~

Its great, I actually like using the miter on the table saw now

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Got the frame for th pizza oven table glued up. Pretty frustrated, my saw must have been out of square because the stretcher ends have big gaps. Luckily I'm painting the base so I can fill them easily. Also stupidly added a roundover where I shouldn't have.

The top came out great, happy with that.

Preview

Been reading a lot about finishing the cedar top, might go with a simple BLO and wax finish. No film, easy to maintain. Might keep the wood from checking too badly, food safe.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A know poplar is usually a painting wood, because it doesn't take stain well, but the wood on that frame does look awfully pretty.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Alright, what chuck should I buy for my lathe? Nova? Barracuda?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

more falafel please posted:

Alright, what chuck should I buy for my lathe? Nova? Barracuda?

OneWay

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

A know poplar is usually a painting wood, because it doesn't take stain well, but the wood on that frame does look awfully pretty.

Poplar takes stain quite well in my experience :shrug:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

I have had frustrating experiences staining poplar where the heartwood and sapwood absorb stain wildly differently. The heartwood takes stain well, but the white sapwood soaks up twice as much or something and winds up darker than the heartwood. It's worse with dye-pigment stains work okay-which is extra frustrating because dye is usually better at getting a consistent color.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Poplar is definitely underrated

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

El Spamo posted:

Poplar is definitely underrated

It's neither popular nor unpoplar.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wallet posted:

i'm not a huge fan of stains anyway but compared to, like, white oak or something where you just slap it on and forget it poplar doesn't take the stain consistently, and softer woods like that are much much harder to sand so smooth that they won't show a billion scratches as soon as you put a stain on them.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

If poplar kept its natural color with age it would rival black walnut in popularity and price.

Fight me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it keeps that cool smoky grain at least, purpleheart turns into grayish-brown nothing within like a month of finishing it and people still think it's super fancy

but it'd still get beat to poo poo using it for an actual work surface so eh

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 8, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One of the foot rests that I made and gifted to my folks last year broke and my mom is calling in a warranty claim from me. Dang it!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uthor posted:

One of the foot rests that I made and gifted to my folks last year broke and my mom is calling in a warranty claim from me. Dang it!
Honestly this is kind of your fault for not just filing for bankruptcy and forming a new LLC right after finishing the project.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I don't know UK brands or anything but that price seems reasonable and that's the sort of router fence I'm talking about, with the adjustable opening and split sides.

It wound up being about £100 more to buy the whole router table than it was for just the fence, and that included the T slots, scales, clamps etc, plus the adapter plate since it's the same company I got my router from. So I did that and I'll just leave the legs off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slugworth posted:

Honestly this is kind of your fault for not just filing for bankruptcy and forming a new LLC right after finishing the project.

Solid point.

I just got done planing 18 sticks of red cedar. I love the way it looks, so I'm going back for more tomorrow while he still has it.

Gonna make some adirondack chairs. :toot:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

So here's some pictures, first is the hole where the threaded insert has fallen through, second is one where it's still in place (though I doubt it will last forever) and fourth is what it looks like when it's all put together.

https://imgur.com/a/fRbOKje

If I filled it I wouldn't want to fill the whole thing, just like a 2"x2" square in each corner (I've drilled each hole 1" from the edge). What I'd envision (and I don't know if such a compound even exists) is something with the consistency of thick caulk that I'd just squirt into the hole until it looked like I'd gotten a good amount around the hole, that wouldn't flow too far before it set up, and that I would either put the threaded insert into while it cures, or it would be firm enough after it cures for me to drill it out and install the threaded insert. Would some kind of wood filler fit the bill here? I see Minwax wood filler says it can hold nails and screws.

I've just sort of been winging it at the hardware stores for parts, currently I've got 10-24 socket head screws because at the time that's what I could find enough of at the store. I'm considering getting some "connector bolts" instead since they've got a bigger flatter head and I think I prefer the look of that more. Since if I get some jack nuts I'd have to order those on amazon regardless, I don't feel bad also getting the bolts from amazon as well. But I do have some 6mm threaded inserts and corresponding connector bolts that I picked up on a whim at a hardware store yesterday as well, if I do decide to stay on the "threaded nut" approach.

I was so proud of myself for getting all this figured out, I even practiced on a scrap piece of particle board, and then my heart sank when I drilled into the top and I found out it was hollow. I think I've got a cheap ikea desk somewhere, or maybe an unused lack table that I know will have hollow-core construction that I can sacrifice for testing.

So, bring this back around, I finished this a while ago and forgot to post but didn't want to leave anybody hanging. I got the jack nuts and they're probably overkill, but they work just fine. The plexiglass holds on just fine. If I press against it with my feet while I'm sitting down, between the friction of it being on the puzzles, and the jack nuts, it doesn't move. And now we can display our completed puzzles, and easily take the top off to put in new puzzles.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Workshop coming together. It wasnt until I had raised and moved the main bench that I figured out I forgot to put any glue in it, so its slowly coming apart ahaha. I want to move the router table next to the table saw anyway, time for bench #3 at some point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was all ready to do some grinding on chair parts today. I got another 20 sticks of red cedar, found some perfect clear grain pieces for the arms, cut the first piece to length, went the the bandsaw and... the motor just hummed. Wtf? So I loosened the blade tension and no change, still extremely difficult to turn the wheels. Took off all tension to the blade and then I could spin the wheels a bit, but the motor is still binding hard.

Opened the hatch in the base and found this on the ground underneath:

Obviously that goes somewhere, and could be part of my problem, but looking at a parts list, I can't identify what it is or where it goes.

Do any of you recognize it? I's off of a 70s Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw 28-200

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It's just a bracket that holds the upper pulley guard on. Time to dig deeper and find why this thing is jammed.

Edit 2: Found that problem, too. Somehow the blade got off track in the lower blade guide and jammed. Cleared and it's properly chooching again.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 10, 2022

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I want to stain and poly a desk in my bedroom, but I don't really have a good place to do it (it's raining all weekend, I don't have a garage, and getting the desk into my basement will be a pain in the rear end). If I just stain and poly in the bedroom, will I have to worry about the odors or anything possibly staining my clothes/sheets/etc? There's only one window in the room and I'd have a fan blowing towards it. I hope this isn't too naive or dumb. Obviously I would not sleep in there for 1-3 days.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

yoohoo posted:

I want to stain and poly a desk in my bedroom, but I don't really have a good place to do it (it's raining all weekend, I don't have a garage, and getting the desk into my basement will be a pain in the rear end). If I just stain and poly in the bedroom, will I have to worry about the odors or anything possibly staining my clothes/sheets/etc? There's only one window in the room and I'd have a fan blowing towards it. I hope this isn't too naive or dumb. Obviously I would not sleep in there for 1-3 days.

There are water-based stains and polys that have almost no odor at all. The main problem you'll have in a crowded bedroom is not touching it while it dries.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Use a water based stain and it should be fine.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Drop clothes (beware of seep-through) will handle any stain physically getting loose.
The vapors though, they'll getcha. I did something similar staining a door in a relatively well ventilated room and got high as balls. Definitely killed a few brain cells, walking outside taking a break was a revelation when all of a sudden my mind cleared and I got a lot more aware.
So, ah, don't gently caress around with poly/stain vapors. A vapor respirator can help a lot, if you're kinda stuck doing this in a smaller and/or not super well ventilated space then you should wear one, and just wearing one without condition is a good idea too. I mean, you probably won't die, just trying to save you a few brain cells.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Thanks. I'm less worried about the actual stain getting on anything, I'd clear out anything I need and put a tarp down under, I'm mostly just worried about the odor and vapors. I've got an oil based stain and a water based poly. I've already killed enough brain cells as it is so a respirator is a good call.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Make sure the respirator filters are rated for organic vapors. Some filters are for particulates only. In the 3M system the particulate ones are pink, the vapor ones are grey, and some filters can do both and have both colors accordingly.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I bought a cnc machine, cant decide if it was a good idea or a great idea.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ddiddles posted:

How much did that rig set you back?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ddiddles posted:

loving awesome sign

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ddiddles posted:

You are going to sell so many of those things on Etsy.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It sure is a table.

I hate cedar so so much. This happened while sanding the top:

I just gouged it out and kept going. Pissed. Whatever, if it fails in a few years it'll be firewood and I'll make a concrete top.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I don't care for cedar either, but that is a fine looking table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ddiddles posted:

Can you do tombstones?

NomNomNom posted:

I hate cedar so so much. This happened while sanding the top:

I just gouged it out and kept going. Pissed. Whatever, if it fails in a few years it'll be firewood and I'll make a concrete top.

That would be a real trick to glue.