Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kamala did nothing wrong with wanting to go to a con and her parents were insanely overprotective. Maybe if she was like 10 or something but 16 year olds can go to things with their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah I really want to know why this family has a bangle in a box that gives super powers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

She fell out of a tree and lost her bike, for starters...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Her escape plan involved jumping bikes in tandem onto the roof of a moving bus. Her mom is extremely correct in trying to reign her in.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Dad's gonna get the belt

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s probably cultural. My mom gave me car keys at 16 and said I was free to do whatever as long as I was home by 11, I had friends who weren’t allowed to have sleepovers with friends if they had a brother because their parents didn’t want her sleeping in the same HOUSE as a boy her age.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

pik_d posted:

Her escape plan involved jumping bikes in tandem onto the roof of a moving bus. Her mom is extremely correct in trying to reign her in.

I think she was joking about that - well, the bikes on the roof of the bus.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was kind of impressed that she went through with the "leap head first out of a first floor window" part of the plan though.

Actually maybe I'm with Kamala's mom on a few things.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, those are 2 pretty realistic, shockingly reasonable parents raising a super-hero-obsessed kid in an area that keeps getting its poo poo kicked in by intergalactic magic aliens and international super-terrorists.

And that's even before you get to the cultural aspects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pik_d posted:

Yeah I really want to know why this family has a bangle in a box that gives super powers.
Who doesn’t?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Was I the only one who wanted to scream at the TV when Bruno stopped in the middle of the street, at night, on a busy intersection, to text Kamala? You're going to be loving street pizza, kid.

Also, she wasn't forbidden to go to the Con, she was allowed to go to the Con with some supervision. Her mother's insistence on the costume thing was unfortunate and unfair, but Kamala didn't even try to thread the needle on that by explaining that she'd already made a costume, she just escalated straight to lying and sneaking out without telling anyone, which was dumb.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Well that was a fun little show!

Wondering how the parents hit to someone with a similar background, because I can't help but see them as almost completely unsympathetic -- they seem loving but also ridiculously oppressive and controlling. The mom's attempts to guilt Kamala at the end fell completely flat for me because of it, even though I was supposed to feel like Kamala was upset at disappointing her. Maybe that's not who Kamala wants to be! She's old enough that it just seems completely inappropriate to treat her like that.

Families are all up in each other's business in this type of culture (I come from a Somalian Muslim background instead of Pakistani, though it was a bit of trip to understand some of the language they were using). There are cons and benefits, with more of an emphasis on the con if you're a girl. Your parents, well, really mother (mothers tend to be the dominant force at home) being intensely interested in what you do while being judgemental and afraid of the new environment they brought their kids into is married with the fact that family bonds tend to be more intense and connected than I'd experience from my non-immigrant friends families. Like the mother taking Kamala with her during errands and trying to convince the driving instructor to let her pass (after spending who knows how long teaching her) is just the unstated supposition that of course their lives are going to twine with each other, regardless of whatever standard of family might be inculcated by American media and culture.

And then there's this thing that happens when you turn 15 or 16, when you're just designated as an adult. I saw that happening there. The mother didn't say you're grounded or punished. She asked Kamala if this is the person she wants to be, while showing the sadness she would feel if Kamala didn't choose her desired road of continuing to be intensely connected to her family. There's a constant fear by immigrants of a culture they don't quite understand (especially if they're not drinkers) and are afraid their children will get sucked up in. It's a fear of the unknown, and quite powerful.

Kamala is going to have the make the decision to balance the Old World values of family togetherness and working as one unit versus the individualism and freedom offered by the American experience. I've seen it happen again and again, and like her brother said, she could be a bit smarter about it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Necrothatcher posted:

I got a bunch of Edgar Wright energy from this, so had a v good time.

I was so thinking of Scott Pilgrim while watching this, especially with some of the imagination leaking into reality effects.

Other thoughts, I really loved her family.

Dad was great with the homemade Alexa and his Indian Hulk suit. I wish she took him up for his offer to go.

Brother was oddly supportive and kind, while being really devout. Somehow I assumed he would be the antagonist in the family.

Mom was the best though, and reminded me of my mom. When her mom brought out a full meal for her friend, I kept thinking of that Swedish thing about not feeding guests that is on social media now.

Also, did she do a "Bruno, no no no" joke with her friend Bruno?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably cultural. My mom gave me car keys at 16 and said I was free to do whatever as long as I was home by 11, I had friends who weren’t allowed to have sleepovers with friends if they had a brother because their parents didn’t want her sleeping in the same HOUSE as a boy her age.

I hate to bring this in, but it also depends on gender. My mom let me as a boy do whatever I want, but my little sister couldn't even date till she was 18, and they were way overprotective (which ended up backfiring on them).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm halfway through and just totally in love with the design and production of everything.

A thousand little things. All done so well.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AgentHaiTo posted:

I hate to bring this in, but it also depends on gender. My mom let me as a boy do whatever I want, but my little sister couldn't even date till she was 18, and they were way overprotective (which ended up backfiring on them).

Other than the fact that I would have been the one who bought my daughter the tickets to the convention and gone myself, I have learned from media that being overprotective of teens is just bad.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, did she do a "Bruno, no no no" joke with her friend Bruno?

"Silencio, Bruno" has really gotten overshadowed. And it's from the better movie.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

twistedmentat posted:

I want to hear Rudd in character shill for Hello Fresh or Casper mattresses.
gently caress that. I want Manscaping all the way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Great show, really enjoyed it.

Getting review bombed to hell on IMDb by racists, though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

live with fruit posted:

"Silencio, Bruno" has really gotten overshadowed. And it's from the better movie.

I knew there was more of us out there!! :unsmith:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Jaxyon posted:

Great show, really enjoyed it.

Getting review bombed to hell on IMDb by racists, though

I gave up on user reviews a long time ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Was I the only one who wanted to scream at the TV when Bruno stopped in the middle of the street, at night, on a busy intersection, to text Kamala? You're going to be loving street pizza, kid.

Also, she wasn't forbidden to go to the Con, she was allowed to go to the Con with some supervision. Her mother's insistence on the costume thing was unfortunate and unfair, but Kamala didn't even try to thread the needle on that by explaining that she'd already made a costume, she just escalated straight to lying and sneaking out without telling anyone, which was dumb.

Yeah, Aamir apparently did an excellent job of negotiating with her parents for her. Kamala just reacted so harshly to the costumes (which her mom seemingly stayed up all night making for them) and supervision that she literally made her dad cry. Her parents are protective but not evil or irrational, and she hurt them very badly.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The family was great. I don't even know that their behavior was a cultural thing, it's just her family. No one came across as being false or playing off a stereotype. I'm from the midwest but I know families like this.

Her parents are trying to figure out how much freedom to give their child and it's the same thing parents have debated for centuries.

I remember an illustration about child rearing involving a spring. If you hold it too tight you eventually destroy it's strength and wear yourself out. If you release it suddenly it flies off. The trick is to release your hold slowly at a reasonable pace that allows the spring to reach it's full length but to not fly off. It's the same with the freedom you give a child as it grows up.

Every step along the way requires thought and care and the show has done a good job at showing that internal debate, even within it's first hour.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

I had to look it up because Iman Vellani actually looks like a 16 year old in this show as compared to Stranger Things where everyone looks 30 and, drat, they're the same age. I still don't know why everyone in that show looks 10 years older than they are.

Because they've been high profile for too long and their parents/managers/Drake are all intent on sexing them up for more money NOW

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

poo poo thank you, I forgot about this specific part but my daughter actually pointed it out so we reworded and watched it again. We loved it so much.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also this show's big bad will probably be Bruno confessing his long-boiled teen boy crush on his best friend at the same time as Kamala having a Cosmic Marvel thing to do

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AgentHaiTo posted:

Brother was oddly supportive and kind, while being really devout. Somehow I assumed he would be the antagonist in the family.

In the comics he's more conservative and is more of an antagonist but still is family so he's not really bad. His mentioned fiancee is cool as hell though and I hope that continues in the show.

Mameluke posted:

Also this show's big bad will probably be Bruno confessing his long-boiled teen boy crush on his best friend at the same time as Kamala having a Cosmic Marvel thing to do

It's gonna be Mike.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 9, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6nxoRTgZs

fictionaldarling is a good reaction channel, because she's a longtime comics and MCU fan (specifically Kamala Khan) and pauses the videos to analyze what's going on and find connections back to older works. Something that hits her especially hard is that Mr. Khan actually seemed incredibly excited to go to AvengersCon as the Hulk and the entrance pointedly has a Hulk facade that would have been the first thing he saw. Kamala really did a number on him by freaking out at him wanting to go with her.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mameluke posted:

Bruno and Kamala definitely have a cursed romance thing going on in the comics, but my guess for the ultimate villain is Kamran

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

howe_sam posted:

Bruno and Kamala definitely have a cursed romance thing going on in the comics, but my guess for the ultimate villain is Kamran

And of course the main overall real life villain is rear end in a top hat bigotry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6nxoRTgZs

fictionaldarling is a good reaction channel, because she's a longtime comics and MCU fan (specifically Kamala Khan) and pauses the videos to analyze what's going on and find connections back to older works. Something that hits her especially hard is that Mr. Khan actually seemed incredibly excited to go to AvengersCon as the Hulk and the entrance pointedly has a Hulk facade that would have been the first thing he saw. Kamala really did a number on him by freaking out at him wanting to go with her.

Oh yeah, that channel is fun, I followed it for Hawkeye.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Rewatched that first episode and holy poo poo it's just so drat charming and sweet and funny and has so much unique style. Just a perfect 45 minutes of TV.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Rewatched that first episode and holy poo poo it's just so drat charming and sweet and funny and has so much unique style. Just a perfect 45 minutes of TV.

Absolutely! :3:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I didn't see captain kirk at all in this thing, horrible 1/10

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I'm actually having a hard time getting through it because I have to stop every 30 second to Squeee and/or Awwwww.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I'm actually having a hard time getting through it because I have to stop every 30 second to Squeee and/or Awwwww.

Oh my god my daughter and I were doing the same thing. Also just giggling like we lost our minds in our little living room tent I made for us for the premier. I couldn’t believe a four year old was so into it but she was glued to the TV.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Why couldn't Kamala just go to the con during the day? Are night cons a thing? I went to a lot of conventions around that age with my friends (and family, when I was more like 14/15). I'm used to hearing a variety of different family's views on whether they're okay with it, cause if we wanna bring all our friends we have to get all the parents on board, right? Some would be super conservative/strict like this, some would wanna know there's a parent involved for supervision and then they're fine, some would just be totally laissez-faire.

And, yeah, you had to work together with your friends and maybe even other family members to try to negotiate conditions where you and your friends get to go to the nerd party. So it felt contrived that that they had to go at night for some reason. Felt like her mom would have been a lot more open if it was a during the day thing.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh my god my daughter and I were doing the same thing. Also just giggling like we lost our minds in our little living room tent I made for us for the premier. I couldn’t believe a four year old was so into it but she was glued to the TV.

This is the best and cutest thing ever

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

XboxPants posted:

Why couldn't Kamala just go to the con during the day?

She specifically was going for the costume contest, which apparently is held at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I have no clue how she was imagining to be home more than two hours earlier when that costume contest was the last thing she did before leaving. Maybe everyone left in a hurry, making the bus traffic collapse so they were stuck there for hours.