Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I've got a Necromunda Books question for those in the know.

I recently picked up Ash Wastes which has a neat hardback rulebook, and it feels more complete and up to date than the dark uprising book I've had before. I've not read the older hardback necromunda rulebook however - is there anything in that which isn't present in the ash wastes book? I'm guessing the OG book might have some campaign stuff in that may still be relevant, as the wastes book's campaign isn't really useful for an underhive campaign.

I've noticed the free trading post PDF on GW's site, which is cool, but i'd like to know what other campaign resources besides Cannibalism and Mad Max are out there, and where they're published - especially if there's a sort of default/basic campaign, which might be good for newcomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Texmo posted:

I recently picked up Ash Wastes which has a neat hardback rulebook, and it feels more complete and up to date than the dark uprising book I've had before. I've not read the older hardback necromunda rulebook however - is there anything in that which isn't present in the ash wastes book? I'm guessing the OG book might have some campaign stuff in that may still be relevant, as the wastes book's campaign isn't really useful for an underhive campaign.

I've noticed the free trading post PDF on GW's site, which is cool, but i'd like to know what other campaign resources besides Cannibalism and Mad Max are out there, and where they're published - especially if there's a sort of default/basic campaign, which might be good for newcomers.

Ash Wastes has the most current version of the rules to date. That, plus an update document that includes errata for the rest of the Necromunda library (it's somewhere in Warhammer community) is the newest, shiniest version of the game.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Texmo posted:

The original Necromunda Rulebook has general background info focusing on the hives (just like first part of the Ash Wastes book focuses on the Outlands lore) and general underhive campaign rules/scenarios. So it's still worth picking up for those items if that's what you're looking for.

The first Gangs of the Underhive books has been superceded by the respective House books detailing the gangs in greater detail. It also had the Trading Post rules but those are now available in the online .pdf and the recent Book of the Outcast. The only rule items left in that book that's not available elsewhere are some of the special bounty hunters (though if you order their models from Forge World you get a copy of their fighting card with the model) and the Carytid Exotic beast stats.

quote:

Each of the Book of... books has a combination of gang rules and a variant campaign and/or scenarios. For example, the Book of Judgement has rules for a Palatine Enforcers gang and a "Law and Misrule" campaign with some new scenarios and the Book of Ruin has rules for Chaos and Genestealer Cult gangs and 18 new scenarios.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anything come out about next month's WD gang, badzone enforcers? What would they get that regular enforcers don't?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

A vehicle allotment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Texmo posted:

The Dominion Campaign is usually the default campaign mode - it's in the regular Necromunda Rulebook. That being said, NM is kind of a clusterfuck - rules are all over the place, they're contradictory and unclear, and there are so many drat books. However, unless you can get it extremely cheap or find :filez: I would not recommend buying the NM Rulebook just for the campaign rules.

IMO, it's pretty messed up that GW is still selling the rulebook while also selling the Ash Wastes set which includes an updated rulebook. I don't know what their plan is there, other than to confuse people and squeeze a few more bucks out of players who just don't know? The fact that the original book is not on a "limited time remaining" status makes me think that they plan on selling both side by side, keeping Ash Wastes locked behind a $300 paywall. Probably just me being :tinfoil: but who knows - they're already killing a lot of digital support for their games, so why not that too.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Last night I found this gem in the ash wastes rulebook:

(See the Necromunda rulebook), GW? Really??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now, is that just poor editing and the rule really is explained in the current book ooooor :ohdear:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I don't see that rule in the ash wastes book. IMO, that's pretty lovely of them. Quite honestly, that makes me just want to bail and just go back to the yaktribe version.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is there an "official" rulebook for Inquisimunda? We've been wanting to mix in more 40k weirdos into our games, but I'm not sure if this is a thing where there's one recognized source for this or if it's more "just find whatever rules you can and make up the rest."

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Anyone here willing to give me some rundown of aeronautica imperialis? I like little ariplane models and it seems reasonably cheap to get into

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there an "official" rulebook for Inquisimunda? We've been wanting to mix in more 40k weirdos into our games, but I'm not sure if this is a thing where there's one recognized source for this or if it's more "just find whatever rules you can and make up the rest."

Well, I know there's Inq28: https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2018/12/02/inq28-an-introduction/

Nothing's official, of course.

E: I did find some Inquisimunda rules! https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/inquisimunda-unleashed.909/

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 9, 2022

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Anyone here willing to give me some rundown of aeronautica imperialis? I like little ariplane models and it seems reasonably cheap to get into

There's not a whole lot to explain - you buy a force, based on the amount of points you're playing; set up on a hex grid; and try to accomplish the mission you're playing. During the game, you set up maneuvers in advance (based on what your flyer can pull off) and hope you made the correct decision and didn't leave yourself exposed to your opponent.

Here's the problems with the game, IMO:

1) Extremely small playerbase - hardly anyone plays the game. GW did a poor job of marketing and support and it kind of suffered.
2) Play surface is too small. GW recommends a larger play surface than they actually sell. It would be one thing if you played on a standard table, but you don't - you play on a hex mat.
2a) Because the surface is too small, you can be severely handicapped if you don't go first. When the game came out, my Ork opponent was consistently right on top of my planes on their first move. Doesn't make for a fun game when you can't maneuver for position.
3) Frigging cards. Unless you want to photocopy a bunch of cards out of the books or write down lists, you have to buy the faction decks.
3a) You can't get the cards anymore!
4) You can't get the books anymore! (Unless you buy digital)

Problems aside, if you can find someone to play, you could probably get past those problems. It's a shame the game didn't really go anywhere, because the models are amazing (albeit a bit expensive) and paint up really, really nice. I know why GW went to a hex for the game - the original version used a turning key, and was prone to fudging by players, as well as issues if you weren't playing on a flat surface (wobbly model syndrome.) Facing is really important and the hexes facilitate that. Recommending a playing field size then not actually proving that to people was weird though.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 9, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CHAMPION. Thanks very much!

If you're in the states, I've got a starter of this+aces cards I'd let go for a reasonable price. My son and I played it a couple of times and I like it; it's basically X-Wing with a Z axis (the thing keeping X-Wing from being being great in my mind) but I don't have time to play my regular games, let alone the peripheral ones.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Few players does not bother me that much since I would likely play with friends anyway. However, it is kinda bad that cards/books are unavailable and small playmats sound kinda bad.

EdsTeioh posted:

If you're in the states, I've got a starter of this+aces cards I'd let go for a reasonable price. My son and I played it a couple of times and I like it; it's basically X-Wing with a Z axis (the thing keeping X-Wing from being being great in my mind) but I don't have time to play my regular games, let alone the peripheral ones.

Sadly (in more ways then one) I'm in Poland. Hmm being x-wing like sounds good tho (I reject x-wing because I dislike star wars)

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 9, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Texmo posted:

Last night I found this gem in the ash wastes rulebook:

(See the Necromunda rulebook), GW? Really??

Reviving a 1998 game in 2018, but using company-in-2008-level stupidity to ensure its downfall. :eng99:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Few players does not bother me that much since I would likely play with friends anyway. However, it is kinda bad that cards/books are unavailable and small playmats sound kinda bad.

Sadly (in more ways then one) I'm in Poland. Hmm being x-wing like sounds good tho (I reject x-wing because I dislike star wars)

Well, the game engine is really cool regardless. I don't really like modern Star Wars for the most part, but love the OT to death, which makes the game really cheap by just sticking to that stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Well, I know it's not relevant to GW, but you could always try the historical answer to X-Wing: Blood Red Skies. I played X-Wing for ages back throughout the first edition days. I switched over to BRS for my plane action though, and actually like it quite a lot!
It also doesn't use hex mats or movement templates like x-wing, so although there are still obviously movement restrictions, the little bit of extra freedom you get with plane movement felt refreshing to me, after using x-wing's rigid system for so long. (And I imagine Aeronautica is even more rigid in that department, seeing as they use a small hex mat)

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Played a match of BFG in our local nerd event, was quite fun. Lamenters vs Thousand Sons servant fleet:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Tw8hn2n

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have my first Kill Team game tentatively scheduled with a dude I met while observing a local 40k tournament. He's interested in learning Kill Team and we're going to meet up next weekend.

Things I'll have:
A selection of Kill Teams, the Core Rule Book, Dice, tape measure.

Things I think I'll need to craft/proxy:
Some cards? I actually have some blank playing cards used to homebrew board games, so I could craft up something nicer than index cards or scrap paper.
Tokens? I also have blank tokens, so ditto.
Any arm list off of battle scribe?

My physical rulebook hasn't come in yet, but it should be in by next game, and of course I can study things online through PDFs.

Any major components I'm overlooking? If it's army dependent, I plan on bringing a Tactical Squad, Skitarri, and Sisters of Battle (a "regular" squad, my Novitiates aren't assembled)

Edit: Goddamnit, I only skimmed the Skitarri Roster and only now do I realize that the 10 model box I just purchased doesn't make a full kill team because it should be 11 models, not 10. Bleh, I'm getting pretty sick of owning most of like four Kill Teams.

I hadn't read the "Hunter Clade" rules, which seeeem to be one leader and 9 troopers? So my box is good?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have my first Kill Team game tentatively scheduled with a dude I met while observing a local 40k tournament. He's interested in learning Kill Team and we're going to meet up next weekend.

Things I'll have:
A selection of Kill Teams, the Core Rule Book, Dice, tape measure.

Things I think I'll need to craft/proxy:
Some cards? I actually have some blank playing cards used to homebrew board games, so I could craft up something nicer than index cards or scrap paper.
Tokens? I also have blank tokens, so ditto.
Any arm list off of battle scribe?

My physical rulebook hasn't come in yet, but it should be in by next game, and of course I can study things online through PDFs.

Any major components I'm overlooking? If it's army dependent, I plan on bringing a Tactical Squad, Skitarri, and Sisters of Battle (a "regular" squad, my Novitiates aren't assembled)

Edit: Goddamnit, I only skimmed the Skitarri Roster and only now do I realize that the 10 model box I just purchased doesn't make a full kill team because it should be 11 models, not 10. Bleh, I'm getting pretty sick of owning most of like four Kill Teams.

I hadn't read the "Hunter Clade" rules, which seeeem to be one leader and 9 troopers? So my box is good?

Things you need for Kill Team:

* Core rules (book or digital)
* Rules / data cards for your team(s) (book or digital)
* Models for your roster(s)
* Tokens (order tokens, injury tokens, APL tokens, etc.)
* The measuring doodads (which you can replace with a tape measure, but they are nice to have)
* Tac op cards (two sets)
* Board to pay on (22"x30")
* Terrain to put on said board.
* Some D6 to roll
* Some dice to mark wounds

And yeah, a Hunter Clade team is a leader and nine other operatives, so 10 models is all you need.

A couple videos on how to put down good terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqhBexa2XE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmw5z1qUfpQ

Rules that get messed up all the time:

* Vantage points only work on people in LIGHT cover.
* You need to be more than 2" away from heavy terrain to be obscured by it.
* The "No Cover" rule doesn't actually remove cover; it takes away the auto save that cover give you. (the "Indirect" rule actually removes cover)

Have fun!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I glued the incorrect Skitarri torso pieces together and now seven out of ten of the models might be ruined.

Edit: Well, some of them have wonky stances and a few even have chopped hips, but I think they'll work out OK.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 12, 2022

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Trying to decide if it’s worth printing out the Soul Forge Studios Ork Space Hulk - it’s about 70 hours of printing, will use a liter of resin (after hollowing!), and is a lackluster enough ship for BFG that I’m more likely to just stock my fleet with Kroozers and some of the named Battlekroozers, but goddamn, the thought of slapping that monstrosity down for a game is highly appealing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hedningen posted:

Trying to decide if it’s worth printing out the Soul Forge Studios Ork Space Hulk - it’s about 70 hours of printing, will use a liter of resin (after hollowing!), and is a lackluster enough ship for BFG that I’m more likely to just stock my fleet with Kroozers and some of the named Battlekroozers, but goddamn, the thought of slapping that monstrosity down for a game is highly appealing.

How big is the BFG scene where you live?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How big is the BFG scene where you live?

Absolutely nonexistent!

Trying to get things going, and having a proper Space Hulk may make it easier to draw people in.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Print that poo poo

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

worst case, you have a loving awesome display piece

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Absolutely nonexistent!

Trying to get things going, and having a proper Space Hulk may make it easier to draw people in.

I agree. This is mine.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm (finally) gonna build up my Krieg dudes for KT; any tips on building them straight from the box?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

chin up everything sucks posted:

I agree. This is mine.

Yoooo da DEFF STAR.

This makes me not want to sell my BFG I have had in a box for 10 years and never touched.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've had the BFG rulebook on my shelf for twenty years now and never really thought about it much but all of a sudden I have a hankering to play it. Here's my first ship.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

I agree. This is mine.

yooo this loving OOOOWNS

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm (finally) gonna build up my Krieg dudes for KT; any tips on building them straight from the box?

There is only one arm 73 in the box and 3 different units that use it, so just be mindful of that. I think it's the Plasma gunner, the melta gunner, and the Confidant, but I could be misremembering that last one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Has there been any word on the price of the Cargo-8 hauler?

I'd like to snag one, but if it follows the pricing scheme of the Ash Wastes terrain it's going to be laughably high.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Refind Chaos posted:

There is only one arm 73 in the box and 3 different units that use it, so just be mindful of that. I think it's the Plasma gunner, the melta gunner, and the Confidant, but I could be misremembering that last one.

Yeah I found that out reading some dude's guide; thanks! I decided to just build them from the recommended guide on Goonhammer then pick up a second box if I need more.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Refind Chaos posted:

Is the arm absolutely vital, or can you get away with doing some creative posing to get away with using the "wrong" arm on two of the 3?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Randalor posted:

Is the arm absolutely vital, or can you get away with doing some creative posing to get away with using the "wrong" arm on two of the 3?

I think it's the left arm that attaches to the weapon at the wrist and the gun has the hand molded on. On a part that small, I can probably get away with using some Oyamaru and making a dupe. Or just getting a second box.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So big brain energy is comming to underhive https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/13/dominate-the-underhive-with-the-psychic-powers-of-the-delaque-spyker

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

These are the Cthulhu deep folk guys right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That looks... decidedly unpleasant.