Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Registers for Classic Natural to suffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, as a first time player, I picked whatever option said regular run 'cause I thought that was the "correct" one. Guess not?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, as a first time player, I picked whatever option said regular run 'cause I thought that was the "correct" one. Guess not?

Regular is fine for a first run

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

#Reg is fine, it's the default way to play the fiesta and a certified classic.

#Natural blows because it doesn't let you mix and match jobs, each character gets a single job and can never change.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Registered for Team375 - I dig it because the party will feel a bit more "balanced" than random.

Also I think I've talked my wife into joining this year too, she likes the charity part and has only ever played FF4+6 on the SNES but she loves them and I think she's sold on trying out the middle entry.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Arzaac posted:

#Natural blows because it doesn't let you mix and match jobs, each character gets a single job and can never change.

Welp.

I used the site to pre-register and apparently not having those choices very clearly labeled got me this result:

@ff5forfutures #reg #natural #BERSERKERRISK

Should I continue with this or make another account? If it's doable and not ridiculously grindy then I don't mind if it's not as exciting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can just send another registration tweet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You can just ignore the natural bit, gilgabot has no real way to confirm you did that afaik

E: or that

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

You can just send another registration tweet.

Thanks! Didn't know that was a possibility.

I'm now just: #reg #BERSERKERRISK

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I slightly take back being annoyed about The Run having White Mage and Beastmaster again. It's a fun party. I just have The Void left. Time and White are so much fun together (until the enemy casts dispell). I'll be interested to see what the runners come up with since they'll have a couple options for some of the bosses.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I think I've settled in to Random being my favorite mode. Chaos is fun but the chance for dupes isn't, and PureChaos replaces dupes with Free/Mime, which I'm not sure I want to play with at this point.

Also, once you've finished the entirety of World 1 with four Geomancers once the appeal kind of wears.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

IIRC, in either last year’s thread, the general FF megathread, or the LP, there was a nice post detailing the different modes, but I can’t seem to track it down. Anybody happen to have that handy?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think I've settled in to Random being my favorite mode. Chaos is fun but the chance for dupes isn't, and PureChaos replaces dupes with Free/Mime, which I'm not sure I want to play with at this point.

Also, once you've finished the entirety of World 1 with four Geomancers once the appeal kind of wears.

Yeah I think I'm the same way. I do also like chaos, but I refuse to do it with Berserker Risk just for the chance of my first two being something like Samurai/Berserker and then have to Quadzerker for entirely too long. :v:

And yeah, I guess theoretically Pure Chaos is fun but the last one I did I got both Freelancer and Mime, and it kinda sucks effectively only having half the number of classes.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I've picked up enough Zerks randomly on my own to bother with ZerkerRisk, honestly. Maybe if I could manage more than one run per summer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MagusofStars posted:

IIRC, in either last year’s thread, the general FF megathread, or the LP, there was a nice post detailing the different modes, but I can’t seem to track it down. Anybody happen to have that handy?

The help page does a pretty good job, and we can answer specific questions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mega64 posted:

New to the Fiesta, or FF5 in general? Don't know what all these weird commands are? I'll fill you in!

Best Modes for Beginners

Normal - Gives you a Wind job at the Wind Crystal, a Water job at the Water Crystal, Fire at Fire, and Earth and Earth.

It's the default for a reason! It gives a good mix of jobs, starting you off with simple jobs and building you up to more complex stuff. You'll likely have at least one reliable job, and there's plenty of job synergy to go around to make all your jobs feel useful!

Random - Gives you a Wind job at Wind Crystal, a Wind or Water job at Water Crystal, Wind or Water or Fire at Fire, and Wi or Wa or F or Earth at Earth.

This ends up being generally easier than Normal, as it gives a greater chance of rolling jobs that are both powerful and simple-to-use, like the various mage jobs or Knight. It does mean you might miss out on later jobs though, which can be fun as well to use.

Popular - Gives you a completely random job in each crystal, but weighted towards the results of popularity polls RK did several years ago.

Naturally, the most popular jobs are the most powerful. The downsides are a risk of duplicates (I think...?) and possibly having to wait awhile to use certain jobs if you don't roll anything usable at Wind or Water. Otherwise, should be simple enough.

--- Team 750 - A modifier you can add to Normal, Random, or Chaos. 750 refers to the cost of rods, so this limits the job pool to the ten mage-like jobs. Magic jobs are generally more powerful and versatile than physical jobs, and while there's plenty of awesome physical jobs that can kick rear end, you'll likely have an easier time doing 750. It's not necessary, and does exclude half the jobs in the game though. Plus a good mix of physical and magical jobs is never bad.

Good options for Players with a couple FF5 runs or Fiestas under their belt

Pure Chaos is no dupe jobs and includes Freelancer and Mime, which is sweet. This is my personal favorite.

Chaos is like reverse Random, biased toward later jobs, and also may have dupes. Nice for a change of pace, but the focus is on more difficult jobs.

Advance is basically Normal, but shuffles the jobs so that three of the jobs added in the GBA version are added to the Earth pool, even though you normally can't get them until the end of the game. Thus you'll be rolling three jobs for the majority of the game. Also not really usable for those playing the SNES or PS1 versions. Still nice if you want to play with those jobs, they're pretty unique!

--- Team No750 is the other modifier, more difficult than 750 but there's still some solid options in there. If you just want to stab things this is a good way to go!

--- Upgrade is a tricky one where you start with all four people in one job, then once you choose to upgrade, you switch to the next job and can no longer switch back to older jobs (though you can still use their abilities). It's a mode for people who love to gamble, as you may get some great abilities only to be stuck with Berserkers who can't use them! Or you might get Freelancer and destroy the end game. Who knows?

--- Fifth Job replaces the Earth job with a new one near the end of Act 2, making you abandon the Earth job. If you really want to play with as many jobs as possible, it's an option. Not my cup of tea, but some love it, and it's not really a bad option to have. A nice curveball if nothing else.

--- Forbidden randomly eliminates one of your jobs once you enter the final dungeon, meaning you can no longer use that job or its abilities. A nice challenging curveball if you want to live on the edge.

Don't use these modes

Natural makes each character stuck in one job without being able to mix-or-match abilities. This robs much of the fun of the fiesta, finding fun synergies between jobs and abilities. Things end up much duller when playing in this mode, so it's generally discouraged.

Classic is Natural but with just FF1 jobs. This is actually an improvement over plain Natural as you'll definitely have some jobs that can be self-sufficient, but otherwise it has the same flaws as Natural.

Wait and see

Winner. This ends up being the four jobs that are voted to be used for The Run. This may be a solid team, but is generally more difficult than anything. Hold off on this option for now, and maybe in general unless the winning jobs appeal to you.

Haven't updated this yet, so my opinion probably changes on Winner, and I'd probably put 375 under Good for Beginners.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Haven't updated this yet, so my opinion probably changes on Winner, and I'd probably put 375 under Good for Beginners.
Yes, that's the post I was vaguely remembering. Really helpful, thanks. :)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

If it wasn't it's now fixed.

I do see 29 unfun morons on the list as well.

Then I think something much be wrong with my Twitter settings. I'm not seeing me on the list.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maigius posted:

Then I think something much be wrong with my Twitter settings. I'm not seeing me on the list.

It's not just you, I'm also having trouble getting my registration to happen. Gilgabot was not designed for an event as big as the 4JF has become.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Isn't there some way to register on the website without sending a tweet?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Advance is basically Normal, but shuffles the jobs so that three of the jobs added in the GBA version are added to the Earth pool

This should be clarified, I think, that Advance replaces the Earth Crystal jobs, rather than are added to the existing pool. At the very least, I rolled Advance on Carby for a while and it seems like every time Earth was a GBA job.

Which actually makes this option really unattractive to me. If Earth was rolling from seven jobs, the normal + GBA, it'd be super neat because you might get a GBA job or you might not, just all how your luck is. Making it only the GBA jobs just makes it feel boring, even if the jobs are powerful.

e: Someone might post while I'm editing this but looking at what I rolled on Carby what I said doesn't seem to be true either exactly, since it was giving me Dancer/Chemist/Samurai at fire. I'm not entirely sure how it rolls now but it seems like (and I may still be wrong) it rolls the earth crystals into fire and then guarantees a GBA job at earth. If this is the case, I guess in some ways this is a bit of a boost since it means that fire has a much stronger pool and reduces the odds of Geomancer. I still think I'd have preferred to roll the GBA jobs into earth and make that a pool of seven jobs, especially since if you want to Fiesta "the right way" it really reduces your options since you might be stuck with two jobs all the way to the earth crystal, and then you're always stuck with three until world 3.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 7, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Isn't there some way to register on the website without sending a tweet?
There was for a bit, but it seemed to be broken from the start (I certainly didn't have any luck), and it's not there any more.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

There was for a bit, but it seemed to be broken from the start (I certainly didn't have any luck), and it's not there any more.

It looks like it shows up when you log in via twitter. Using it just goes to a blank page though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Twelve by Pies posted:

This should be clarified, I think, that Advance replaces the Earth Crystal jobs, rather than are added to the existing pool. At the very least, I rolled Advance on Carby for a while and it seems like every time Earth was a GBA job.

Which actually makes this option really unattractive to me. If Earth was rolling from seven jobs, the normal + GBA, it'd be super neat because you might get a GBA job or you might not, just all how your luck is. Making it only the GBA jobs just makes it feel boring, even if the jobs are powerful.

e: Someone might post while I'm editing this but looking at what I rolled on Carby what I said doesn't seem to be true either exactly, since it was giving me Dancer/Chemist/Samurai at fire. I'm not entirely sure how it rolls now but it seems like (and I may still be wrong) it rolls the earth crystals into fire and then guarantees a GBA job at earth. If this is the case, I guess in some ways this is a bit of a boost since it means that fire has a much stronger pool and reduces the odds of Geomancer. I still think I'd have preferred to roll the GBA jobs into earth and make that a pool of seven jobs, especially since if you want to Fiesta "the right way" it really reduces your options since you might be stuck with two jobs all the way to the earth crystal, and then you're always stuck with three until world 3.

It spreads the jobs more evenly than that. There's I think one Water job that can be on Wind, and one or two Fire jobs that can be on Water. All GBA is on Earth.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Whether I play my first run on Pixel Remaster or GBA depends on what jobs I roll for my 375 run.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Any word on who the runners will be this year?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ace Transmuter posted:

Any word on who the runners will be this year?

The usual suspects from what I understand

bowie, yaga, DD, elmagus

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Jose Valasquez posted:

The usual suspects from what I understand

bowie, yaga, DD, elmagus

Well, three of those four have been streaming The Run routing the past few days.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Well, three of those four have been streaming The Run routing the past few days.

I hope DD doesn't route at all.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Just signed up for a Reg run. Looking back through my otherwise desolate twitter this will be my eighth run. Wild.

Thought about trying a Random or Chaos run but I don't really want dupes and left to my own devices I lean on the earlier jobs so being forced to use the later stuff is better/harder. Looking forward to getting started!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Since RK sucks at promoting, apparently the run is going to start tomorrow morning at 4AM, EST, since all the runners this year are European.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Time for the yearly reminder: RK is in Japan, so the Fiesta officially starts when RK wakes up and manually kicks it off, which is usually a few hours after The Run ends. (though with this year starting...8 hours earlier? than usual we might get a far more punctual Fiesta start...)

Also Gilgabot gets throttled by Twitter almost instantly, but the website works regardless of whether the tweet goes out; check the site if you don't get a tweet for your #Water job or whatever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

oldskool posted:

Time for the yearly reminder: RK is in Japan, so the Fiesta officially starts when RK wakes up and manually kicks it off, which is usually a few hours after The Run ends. (though with this year starting...8 hours earlier? than usual we might get a far more punctual Fiesta start...)

Also Gilgabot gets throttled by Twitter almost instantly, but the website works regardless of whether the tweet goes out; check the site if you don't get a tweet for your #Water job or whatever.

Put this info in the OP.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I tried again, and registration through the page seems to have worked. Hopefully my jobs synergize well the year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We need a name toxx so here goes y'all:

:toxx:
$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

We need a name toxx so here goes y'all:

:toxx:
$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

Not only is this super generous, you've also ensured at least fifty Butzes with extremely funny names. Props!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The Run starting:
https://twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love name toxxes that let me be creative about how to fulfill it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DD won thanks to some clutch Flirt strats and Yaga getting wiped to Almagest.

PR Dancer OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
our hero, dd