Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

hes a pizzaboy w/ a failure radlib podcast. imagine being friends w/ two major podcast (groups? What do you call a group of podcasters?) and managing to have that big of an l.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im a leftist vet plz center me and pay attention to me

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Smythe posted:

he’s fine and probably not even a sex pest

Man with zoomer gf defends man who messaged underaged Twitter user. :magemage:

This has once again reinforced my belief that cis men should not be allowed on the internet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Looks like poo poo op

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Varinn posted:

adult converts to catholicism should have their brains studied by scientists and never be allowed near microphones or cameras until we can figure out if its contagious

nah protestant to catholic conversions should be tolerated as a form of harm reduction

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theyre the same thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The current state of Matt Taibbi

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1534605012457996293?s=20&t=-6FiqoFZQb4G2JCScZ_ALw

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Gets paid in the one thing mods crave the most—unhinged PMs generated by six hour probes

im not sure that's correct

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

You wonder if he's really pudding brained or if he's just doing it to pay the bills since faux outrage sells

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Smythe posted:

he’s fine and probably not even a sex pest

wow huge shock that you're defending him, why don't you post some more about your girlfriend

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

You wonder if he's really pudding brained or if he's just doing it to pay the bills since faux outrage sells

I think he’s gone full on contrarian and decided that since he got shut out for being right about russiagate then everyone else being shut out deserves to have their voice heard too, regardless of how stupid. All discourse is important. Idk. Could also just be cynical grifting. He’s apparently pulling in a ton of money on his sub stack and he might have just decided to chase the payday. Maybe a blend of both?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

When I was a physically smaller idiot, I read Griftopia and was like "dang this dude has it all figured out" lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think he’s gone full on contrarian and decided that since he got shut out for being right about russiagate then everyone else being shut out deserves to have their voice heard too, regardless of how stupid. All discourse is important. Idk. Could also just be cynical grifting. He’s apparently pulling in a ton of money on his sub stack and he might have just decided to chase the payday. Maybe a blend of both?

Being paid for being dumb is a very powerful signal to get dumber

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

if you look at Taibbi's career arc vs. Mark Ames, I think it involves a lot of conscious and unconscious decisions that are rewarded with turning on a huge money faucet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zmej posted:

if you look at Taibbi's career arc vs. Mark Ames, I think it involves a lot of conscious and unconscious decisions that are rewarded with turning on a huge money faucet

Specifically I think it’s important to keep in mind his being one of the very early voices pushing pack against russiagate, getting iced out, and then when cancel culture boiled over into mainstream discourse in 2020 jumping hard into that trend as well as some decidedly lovely takes on the Floyd protests. I’m not sure it’s even worth trying to figure out how much is authentic and how much is reactionary contrarianism and how much is cynical grifting. It’s just a sad arc, because (and I haven’t checked in on him for a while so maybe this has changed) he still has useful and interesting stuff to say about finance sector and corporate greed and government-wall street

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't think he's written about any wall street stuff in a while, it's all just culture war crap.

I though this quote from Ames about Taibbi was pretty prescient, it was for an article in Vanity Fair about the eXile, and of course Ames and Taibbi don't like each other so keep that in mind:

quote:

Shortly after Ames returned to Moscow, in early 2002, Taibbi left for Buffalo, New York, to start a new paper, The Buffalo Beast. Ames says Taibbi made it clear he didn’t want Ames’s help. According to some, it was Taibbi’s plan all along to parlay the Exile buzz into Stateside success. “[The Exile] gave him the Western platform he always wanted,” says Andrew Meier. Ames agrees. “I never thought I’d get anything of mine read. Matt never suffered from that worry. It was his birthright to be read,” he says. “He wasn’t ever comfortable with his own anger. Matt’s fate all along was to end up in a privileged space. He knew that and realized that if he could take an unconventional route there it would make him much more interesting once he arrived.” Ames claims that while he was gone Taibbi mismanaged The Exile, running it into debt and embroiling it in a libel lawsuit with Russian hockey star Pavel Bure after Taibbi ran a prank story claiming Bure’s then girlfriend, tennis player Anna Kournikova, had two vaginas. Ames says Taibbi pushed him to take on Bure, a hero among some of Moscow’s less humor-inclined underworld figures, knowing that it might endanger The Exile and Ames’s safety, even his life. “He wanted out of The Exile and he wanted out of my shadow. He was pretty clear that he wanted The Exile to go down,” Ames says.

When I used to read Freddie de Boer's substack he posted about how media crit stuff always drew a significant amount more attention than any post about serious topics that interested him like education and testing, and if your desire is to be read these days clearly the thing to do is to cover every author who gets social media pushback or whatever with a bunch of dumbass opinions. Taibbi knows how to do good journalism, I don't think there were many other journalists who sat through endless boring court hearings concerning home foreclosures to discover than banks had committed fraud on a massive scale that was never going to be punished, but he did and it made his work that much better for it.

But journalists clearly have no ability or interest in discerning who has good ideas and who doesn't, they instead understand all ideas and opinions through how much clicks and social media buzz they generate, that's the only value that matters anymore.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jun 9, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

taibbi getting hired at rolling stone in '04 is a major reason I'm a leftist today lol. he sucks so bad

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

PawParole posted:

hes a pizzaboy w/ a failure radlib podcast. imagine being friends w/ two major podcast (groups? What do you call a group of podcasters?) and managing to have that big of an l.

i'm sad you don't have your dasha av still. instantly recognizable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

it's definitely both

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Taibbi was great during the Bush years, but you could see this stuff seeping into his podcast with Katie Halper (he's on a long sabbatical from it) where he'd talk about cancel culture far too often. Not surprised to see him interviewing TERFs on his substack.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

Man with zoomer gf defends man who messaged underaged Twitter user. :magemage:

This has once again reinforced my belief that cis men should not be allowed on the internet

smythe is virgil
virgil is smythe

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Taibbi was great during the Bush years, but you could see this stuff seeping into his podcast with Katie Halper (he's on a long sabbatical from it) where he'd talk about cancel culture far too often. Not surprised to see him interviewing TERFs on his substack.

Yeah he’s writing a book about the government Covid spending which hopefully focuses on the financial grift side and stays far away from culture war stuff but I’m not sure I’m hopeful

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao at Dansky getting into it in the replies

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HashtagGirlboss posted:

He's tried for years to break into the mainstream lib media world only to have the exile poo poo used against him every time one of his projects gets some traction.

Now that he's gone contrarian, I wonder how he feels about his paycheck ultimately coming from the same establishment ghouls he used to rail against.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nothus posted:

He's tried for years to break into the mainstream lib media world only to have the exile poo poo used against him every time one of his projects gets some traction.

Now that he's gone contrarian, I wonder how he feels about his paycheck ultimately coming from the same establishment ghouls he used to rail against.

Why would he care? Still spends the same.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

If anything describes his trajectory to me it’s that in the last year or so my boss, a libertarian leaning conservative who is equally anti trump and mainline republicans, has really gotten into him

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Maybe we don't need to justify the he-TERF whose entire thing is just asking questions about social issues

"He was good in the bush era" also applies to John Stewart you dorks

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Maybe we don't need to justify the he-TERF whose entire thing is just asking questions about social issues

"He was good in the bush era" also applies to John Stewart you dorks

:ok:

I don’t know that people are justifying so much as talking about a topic they find interesting

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nothus posted:

he seems pretty happy about it!

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1534588191944200192

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dead naming your enemies on twitter and defending people who pimp out children because the child "had no other options" is bad even if your favs do it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
All that tells me is that he's intentionally oblivious to where the "donations" actually come from.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

not surprising from the guy who wrote ironically about having sex with teenagers all the time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

dead naming your enemies on twitter and defending people who pimp out children because the child "had no other options" is bad even if your favs do it

Imo it’s worse because they should very much lose that ‘my favs’ status immediately over that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

In conclusion death to everyone who lives on media consumption or hot takes. Podcasters, """journalists""", greenwald etc.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

In conclusion death to everyone who lives on media consumption or hot takes. Podcasters, """journalists""", greenwald etc.

but we live on those things

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tokin opposition posted:

You

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Fly Molo posted:

Not unless you're getting paid for posting friend

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

Not unless you're getting paid for posting friend

emptyquotes are the most precious currency on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU