Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^I like these effort posts^^^

You mentioned how real pro wrestling didn't automatically translate into an entertaining thing to watch.

Didn't the UFC have similar issues early on? Like, what started out as a no holds barred, no DQ, no weight class thing rapidly devolved into two dudes just laying on the mat for a half hour waiting for a counter opening or a submission? And that led to standing them up, labeling some tactics illegal, weight classes and a rounds system? They also got rid of that bracket thing because, by the third fight, usually a dude couldn't continue even though he'd won and had advanced.

Turns out legit fighting someone is exhausting and doing it multiple times a day is very difficult. If you'd like to know about the history of MMA as a sport, the guys at Secret Base have done a fascinating two hour documentary on it. Wrestling, Boxing and MMA all share particular parts of their DNA, and the methods and actions they have taken to resolve issues or deal with problems are, in their own way, a fascinating look at he similarities and differences of these three sports.

Wrestling, obviously, has the advantage of not actually being an athletic competition. This allows it to sidestep many of the obvious pitfalls, such as weight or 'incorrect tactics' or 'cheating'. Conversly, of course, it loses credibility. As much as it's not true, wrestlers are not considered 'legit' fighters, and this in turn means people discount wrestlers, despite many of them being accomplished amateur wrestlers in their own right, as well as all of them being people who make a living out of both being strong enough to throw hundreds of pounds of weight around and being tough enough to continue working after being slammed into all manner of objects, most of which have very little give.

MMA and Boxing, of course, are considered the more vicious and dangerous of the trio, given that what they offer is a legitimate account of what is only pretended at in a wrestling ring. In this way, they gain legitimacy and respect as 'genuine', but suffer from significantly more stringent rules and regulations as well as an inability to ultimately create the same narratives that run through the heart of Wrestling. Only the most depraved and insane actions taken during the events of a wrestling show match up to some of the injuries that are sustained by MMA fighters or boxers as a matter of a normal match, to say nothing of the freak events that have occured, such as the breaking of Anderson Silva's leg, an event that many remember and I will spare from most people's sight as a mattter of taste.

In turn, these three sports borrow heavily from each other, each in different ways. Wrestling enjoys bringing over former MMA talent, both as starting workers and obviously those people who wish to make the jump from the top of either sport. The WWE currently employs both 'The Beast' Brock Lesner and 'The Baddest Woman on the Planet' 'Rowdy' Ronda Rousey, both former World UFC Champions, whose credentials mark them as badass, given them an air of 'legitimacy' lacking in wrestling and immediately shoving them to the main event competing for the most prestigious titles of wrestling.

MMA and Boxing, obviously, borrow more heavily from the 'entertainment' side of Wrestling's 'sports entertainment', but also gains in a similar mentality. Not to be about it, but while the Gracie Family may have been legitimate fighters and BJJ is a fighting art, they (and Dana White, current President of the UFC) are, if you'll forgive the rude language, carny as gently caress. MMA has become their golden goose and ticket to continued fame and fortune and they're ready and willing to wring every inch and ounce of money and fame they can out of it. This has manifested with continued escalation and emphasis of outside-the-octagon drama as a means to create narratives that draw in people more than a focus as a definitive sporting competition, making them more like wrestling, specifically the pageantry of WWE's style, something that they would have seen for large portions of their life.

Boxing, meanwhile, has had Floyd 'Money' Mayweather Jr., a definitively excellent boxer considered to be perhaps the greatest, pound for pound, of the last 25 years. Much like Hogan in the 80's, he has sat at the peak of the sport for most of his career spanning 1996 to 2017. Unlike Hogan, however, Mayweather understood and accepted his position at the top and his general style of boxing to be unpopular, and has thus chosen to, in the parlance of wrestling, 'play the heel', using people's general disdain for himself and his 'cowardly' counterboxing as a marketing tactic to drive sales, many hoping that the erstwhile competitor would finally do what many had tried and failed and put Mayweather down for a victory.

It's not hard to see why all three of these sports have begun to somewhat converge as time has gone on. In this current day and age of Capitalism, the trio relies on Pay-Per-View buys as a major revenue stream, and if you're a legitimate sport, and adding a little drama gets you more buys, why not play up the animosity? And if people don't think you're legit, why not hire some actual no poo poo fighters to both round out your roster and draw in more casual fans who know the name?

Time remains to see how closely they converge, or if they spiral off into further unknown territory.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

In terms of people who were there for both, reminder that Minoru Suzuki fought Bas Rutten in Pancrase, which even predates UFC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVb_EcJrz0
(complete with Bas narration)

Still showing up on AEW shows to scare wrestlers and to get the fans to sing in Japanese.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm also now remembering Dan Severn bringing his NWA title to the octagon in order to pose with the UFC and NWA titles simultaneously, and I'm doing a little lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeA263yU3w

and no, the NWA belt was not a prestigious belt in 1995

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Torchlighter posted:

Turns out legit fighting someone is exhausting and doing it multiple times a day is very difficult. If you'd like to know about the history of MMA as a sport, the guys at Secret Base have done a fascinating two hour documentary on it. Wrestling, Boxing and MMA all share particular parts of their DNA, and the methods and actions they have taken to resolve issues or deal with problems are, in their own way, a fascinating look at he similarities and differences of these three sports.

Thanks for the link and also your cool, very thought out and well written post.

The documentary was OK and very interesting in parts but I'm not sure about the overt political commentary and over reliance on photoshop filters and the over the top abundance of effects. As an historical look at the history of...whatever you call it..."Bloodsport" I guess, it does a really good job and the seedy underbelly of any fight game - from wrestling to boxing to MMA - is always fascinating to me. Probably more interesting than the sports themselves. As I age, I find myself having less and less interested in combat sports.

It's exploitative and shady on the one hand but, on the other, it's hard to argue that it doesn't offer opportunities for certain people that don't exactly have a ton of them or viable avenues to explore. You gotta have loving balls of steel to get into a wrestling, boxing or MMA ring and I think what always appealed to me back when I used to watch these things a lot was the idea that you are utterly on your own with thousands of people watching you succeed or fail against an opponent just as determined as you are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Playing the heel in boxing iirc isn't new at all, Muhammad Ali apparently got the idea from wrestling, figuring it'd work to sell tickets for a real sport as it would in a fake one. And he was correct.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lmao

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I was a regular listener of both the Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge shows on SirusXM from 06-08. Bubba would have Hogan on for at least an hour a day while he rambled about his divorce from Linda.

IIRC, over the years they basically made it clear and Hogan's reality show was a total farce in how his marriage was portrayed and the show was mainly to promote his daughter's album. Just curious if anyone has more info on that or what. I know Hogan is way up there as far as rank but I'm shocked no one has every brought any of this stuff up when cutting a promo or just in general.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I was a regular listener of both the Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge shows on SirusXM from 06-08. Bubba would have Hogan on for at least an hour a day while he rambled about his divorce from Linda.

IIRC, over the years they basically made it clear and Hogan's reality show was a total farce in how his marriage was portrayed and the show was mainly to promote his daughter's album. Just curious if anyone has more info on that or what. I know Hogan is way up there as far as rank but I'm shocked no one has every brought any of this stuff up when cutting a promo or just in general.

Nobody disrespects the immortal Hulk Hogan, brother.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bonzo posted:

Hogan is notorious for re-writing history to either insert himself in moments he wasn't involved in or to color himself in as positive a light as possible.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Playing the heel in boxing iirc isn't new at all, Muhammad Ali apparently got the idea from wrestling, figuring it'd work to sell tickets for a real sport as it would in a fake one. And he was correct.

That part, I heard of. It was specifically Gorgeous George, and it was a pretty direct influence. Ali didn't just watch his shtick from the sideline and borrow the idea, they met in person early in Ali's career.

"A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth."

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Actually, according to Hulk Hogan, Muhammad Ali was primarily inspired by Hulk Hogan.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was actually Hulk Hogan who introduced Muhammad Ali (then Cassius Clay) to Islam.

edit: B-b-b-b-b-b-brother

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 9, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's a list floating around of Hogan's biggest lies and if I can find it I'll post it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's a list floating around of Hogan's biggest lies and if I can find it I'll post it

yea, wikipedia

Billed height 6 ft 7 in (201 cm)[4]
Billed weight 302 lb (137 kg)[4]

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Starting to think those pythons might not even be 24 inches, brother. :smith:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Finally had time to search for it

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1437040427568410628?lang=en

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Starting to think those pythons might not even be 24 inches, brother. :smith:

Next you'll tell me that the Pontiac Silverdome didn't collapse into a rupture in the space/time continuum, that was formed when Hogan bodyslammed a 100,000 lb Andre the Giant in front of 43 billion screaming Hulkamaniacs, brother

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Next you'll tell me that the Pontiac Silverdome didn't collapse into a rupture in the space/time continuum, that was formed when Hogan bodyslammed a 100,000 lb Andre the Giant in front of 43 billion screaming Hulkamaniacs, brother

When society finally recovers from the soon total collapse of modern civilization, this will be taught in school like Greek Mythology

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I have to go to Hogan’s Hangout. $20 chicken fingers, brother.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Szyznyk posted:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Szyznyk posted:

Don't for get the limited edition python mug for $29.99

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I will never not laugh about Pastamania. Imagine looking at Hulk Hogan and thinking, "Hey, I feel like Italian food for dinner.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hulk Hogan is, in fact, Italian.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I am now being informed that Hulk Hogan, in fact, invented pasta.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bonzo posted:

When society finally recovers from the soon total collapse of modern civilization, this will be taught in school like Greek Mythology

Sing to me, oh muse, of the wrath of the macho man, son of the miser

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hulk Hogan also inspired Wesley Willis to tell his demons to "Suck a male camel's dick".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Sing to me, oh muse, of the wrath of the macho man, son of the miser

One gem of the Bubba show was how they parodied Macho's rap album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvU64Y6IUU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Hulk Hogan also inspired Wesley Willis to tell his demons to "Suck a male camel's dick".

Rock over London
Rock over Chicago
Hulkamania is running wild

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bonzo posted:

One gem of the Bubba show was how they parodied Macho's rap album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvU64Y6IUU

If those are the gems, I don't wanna see the dumps

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i am hulk horgan

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

If those are the gems, I don't wanna see the dumps

That would be his constant on air fights with Honky Tonk Man.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
bumping this so when he dies the title can be changed to vince mcmahon is dead. he cant have that long surely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At this po8nt I'd bet HHH goes first.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

bumping this so when he dies the title can be changed to vince mcmahon is dead. he cant have that long surely

His mom just died in January at the age of 101. He still has another 25 years to catch up to her.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Here's a video where some of them are discussed, not the list but an entertaining watch while we're on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7WTm-6JSds

The best is Hogan saying he worked 400 days in a year because of the number of times he travelled over the International Date Line.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Justin Godscock posted:

worked 400 days in a year because of the number of times he travelled over the International Date Line.

:thunk:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

We'd have to change the name to "vince McMahon is dead".

R.L. Stine posted:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

i already assumed someone else made the joke. please forgive me

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Apparently Vince is shopping for a book deal for his "memoirs". Can you imagine how much bullshit will be in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He could become a legend and just tell the truth about everything right before shuffling off this mortal coil.

"And then I helped Jimmy Snuka murder his girlfriend, pal! HA HA HA!"