Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It sounds like this thread needs some sort of Hoe Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

run on sentience posted:

Do you get upset that you're not supposed to call people the r-word anymore as well?

You can take "revanchist" from my cold, dead hands.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

It sounds like this thread needs some sort of Hoe Union.

My [1? Witch] thread [0-99 Porpoise] has unionized

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not if you're distinguishing different types of sex work, which is relevant in this context. If you've got a better term for "sex worker who picks up clients at bars to have sex with them for money", I'm all ears, though. A few minutes of googling didn't come up with anything more appropriate than "prostitute".

Full Service Sex Worker, often abbreviated to FSSW, is what you mean. Sex workers vary in what they offer, and all of them are still sex workers regardless. A cam girl/boy/person may not offer penetrative or physical intimacy services, while someone else is just fine unionizing with other sex workers to offer physical, in service services out of a shared airbnb.

Yeah I might be taking the bait here, but the more you know, workers of the world unite, etc. And to note for this conversation, I'm not a SW, but sex workers shouldn't be the only ones clarifying and defending their hard work. Now go visit a strip club and throw hundies at the hunnies.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Tarkus posted:

And he didn't. The dying person asked him to.

dying people don't have to cheat on their partners either

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

When you think about it it's basically like denying a dying child his wish to see spider man.

And you monsters want to take that away from her

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Bonster posted:

We're getting into cultural differences here. Everyone in grandpa's culture would have known exactly what it meant, so it was direct communication. You're not from the same culture, so it doesn't make sense. We all do hundreds of gestures of indirect communication every day when we're out among people. Should we be continually narrating our lives because someone might misunderstand something?

IOW, it's just a part of living in a multicultural society. People would be fine if you said "that was wonderful but I can't eat another bite," but leaving two peas said the exact same thing without needing words. Manners differ across society.

Low context versus high context societies in nonverbal language.

Yeah but it's weird how between leaving food on your plate being good or bad, no amount of food left on your plate ever means "that was wonderful, I enjoyed it so much that I couldn't leave a morsel on left on the plate but I couldn't eat another bite either; it was the perfect amount of food"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

value-brand cereal posted:

Full Service Sex Worker, often abbreviated to FSSW, is what you mean. Sex workers vary in what they offer, and all of them are still sex workers regardless. A cam girl/boy/person may not offer penetrative or physical intimacy services, while someone else is just fine unionizing with other sex workers to offer physical, in service services out of a shared airbnb.

Sure, that seems reasonable. I'll edit that into my post.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

rain dogs posted:

When you think about it it's basically like denying a dying child his wish to see spider man.

her mistake was not going through the make a wish foundation to gently caress the married guy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rain dogs posted:

I'll do it if she dresses up as spider-man for it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I thought we were going to be discussing the probability that she was lying to him about her illness to try and steal him away.

The ethics of loving someone without telling your partner, predicated on how soon that person will die, is probably a bit too heavy for this thread.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

He did it in the dumbest way possible, but ultimately it's clear he felt stuck between a rock and a hard place and panicked, and ended up losing both people he cared for, which is a shame.

He was going to lose one of those people regardless, seems like it'd be an easy play to not lose the other one.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I might be taking the bait here, but the more you know, workers of the world unite, etc. And to note for this conversation, I'm not a SW, but sex workers shouldn't be the only ones clarifying and defending their hard work. Now go visit a strip club and throw hundies at the hunnies.

Thank youuuuu!!! This is well worth knowing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you cereal person.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If my choice was to lose one love interest between the two I'd probably lose the dying one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If my choice was to lose one love interest between the two I'd probably lose the dying one.

Oh but you could have em both as long as you don't mind engaging in and living with your deceit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for having rules for my bridesmaids to follow for the wedding?

quote:

I'm not really sure about this so let's get it over with.

I'm getting married in early September and I've picked my bridal party. One of my bridesmaids is my sister. My sister has a completely different style than me. I am following this clean girl but also glam girl kind of style but my sister is that type of egirl/alt style. She has light pink hair, a nose ring, multiple earrings and she's also got sleeve tattoos on both of her arms and also her neck and chest. My sister's appearance was something that always troubled me regarding her being a bridesmaid.

I've set rules that apply to all bridesmaids but some are specifically about my sister. First of all I set a specific budget I expect them to spend for the bachelorette party. I gave them the choice to hire their own makeup artists and hairstylists but I requested a specific kind of hairstyle and makeup. They'd also pay for their own dresses. All of that is very common and nobody complained.

Where I heard complaints though was when I presented some rules specifically for my sister. I told her she'd have to buy body makeup and cover up the tattoos. I also told her to remove her nose ring and most of her earrings and only keep the normal earrings. And I told her to dye her hair a natural color at least for the wedding festivities such as the bachelorette and the actual wedding. The bridesmaids dress really classes with my sister's image and she's going to look really out of place with all the tattoos, piercings and hair with that dress.

She told me she won't do any of it and I tried to beg her to do it for me, her sister and how happy it would make me. She told me that my happiness shouldn't depend on making her change her style and be someone else to fit my aesthetic wedding. I told her people make sacrifices for weddings and how many people might be uncomfortable or sad they have to follow certain rules but they still do it out of love and respect for the couple getting married. She said no and that if I'm not ok with this she'll drop out. I got very pissed she started holding it against me and I don't want her to drop out but I wished for her to make this one time thing for me work.

My mom and dad surprisingly sided with her and they don't usually do that. My fiancé is on my side and believes my sister is an entitled brat. But my parents siding with her really made me question whether I'm TA.

(any moment now, AITA is going to decide "bridezilla" is a slur.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It doesn't insult immature or rapey men, so it's never going to be a problem for AmITheAsshole's mods.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bltzn posted:

Yeah but it's weird how between leaving food on your plate being good or bad, no amount of food left on your plate ever means "that was wonderful, I enjoyed it so much that I couldn't leave a morsel on left on the plate but I couldn't eat another bite either; it was the perfect amount of food"

That's the "logic" behind leaving a couple peas or whatever else is a non-zero amount of food while being insignificant. Leaving more means you didn't like the food, eating it all means you want more. Down the same etiquette rabbit hole, the host will then be obligated to give you more food, even if it means they won't have enough food for their next meal. And you turning it down once they offer would be insulting to the hosts, implying you didn't like it enough to want more even though you are clearly not full (see the empty plate) or that you don't think they can afford to give you more.

A lot of etiquette rules are about saving face around poverty, or doing the same for the people around you. Even as most western countries are seeing obesity epidemics, especially among poor populations, a lot of those social norms are not so simple to bury.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She's allowed to set any rules she wants, but she shouldn't be surprised or upset if anyone declines to be in her bridal party or honestly cuts contact.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

rain dogs posted:

Make a wish but for getting laid.
Wonder if John Cena would still hold the record for most wishes granted...

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My mom and dad surprisingly sided with her and they don't usually do that

Wow, that's a whole story in one sentence :ohdear:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

quote:

First of all I set a specific budget I expect them to spend for the bachelorette party.

what. is that even a thing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I guess it depends on who is paying

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i expect you all to spend at least $100 each on this party you're throwing for me. i will be collecting reciepts

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

It's been popping up lately in buzzfeed articles and crazy bride stories.

Usually some expected minimum gift (like $500 or more), or expense and if they are too cheap they are told they aren't wanted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm glad I don't have friends go to weddings

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Foo Diddley posted:

I've never seen it phrased that way, but I have seen situations where everyone in the bridal party is expected to cough up their share of the AirBnB / restaurants / entertainment prices ahead of time so reservations can be made for the bachelorette party.

Usually bridesmaids are expected to cover the cost of their own bridesmaid dress. It's rarer but not unheard of to expect the bridesmaids to pitch in on a shared service like the hairstylist hired to do everyone's hairstyles. I've been in weddings where all the bridesmaids were expected to have matching updo hairstyles where it would be difficult if not impossible for the women to be able to do them on themselves, so the bride hired a stylist for the day. In that situation the bride paid.

I've never heard of requiring bridesmaids to hire their own stylist or makeup artists.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
BAD rear end: THE FORMATIVE YEARS

quote:

Age 9.

Once I spent the night at a friend’s house. We were gathered around the table for dinner and as we sat there eating, my friend’s older sister came to the table. She was wearing a fleecy tracksuit. As she sat down, I pulled the chair from underneath her. Her rear end dropped like an anvil, and she landed with a thwack on the tile floor. The way down she had a puzzled look on her face. Sprawled on the floor in her tracksuit, she looked as if she had just finished break-dancing.

Everyone at the table stopped eating and stared.

I waited for her to laugh and tell me what a funny trickster I was, but instead she started to cry. Between sobs she swore at me, before scampering off to her bedroom. After she was gone, the family stared at me. I waited for them to burst into laughter and tell me what a funny trickster I was, but none of them did. Not even my friend.

The house was quiet. They continued to stare. I thought, it was supposed to be a joke, people.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for “ruining” my cousins wedding by planning a trip that same weekend after I refused to attend?

quote:

Some good ole family drama and I (28M) need a verdict. My cousin Emily (27F) is getting married in a few months. Our family is a large American-Italian family. I’ve been dubbed the “ring leader” by my uncles/aunts because I’m the oldest. Most of my cousins are 18-28 and we are all really close besides Emily. We didn’t have a ton in common and she made 0 effort to ever hangout with us. We always tried including her but she just sat on her phone or read. We all played sports and she wasn’t about that.

Emily got married 3 years ago. We all went and formed a bond with her then husband. My girlfriend Chloe and I have been together 5 years, so she is close with all my cousins. To save a whole long backstory. Me and Chloe got close to Emily’s husband. Emily out of nowhere asked for a divorce. And within 2 weeks is moved in with another dude. Obviously it was the family gossip but we were all told that “family is first” so we needed to not mention it. A few months later we find out that the guy she was moved in with was married at the time. He left his wife and kids for Emily. It was a total poo poo show. Me and Chloe decided that we weren’t about it and so when the wedding invite came we declined it. My cousins reached out to us and said they heard rumors (my mom) that I wasn’t going. They asked why and we told them that we just weren’t about this wedding. And that only people that support a wedding should attend. Our plan was to get out of town that weekend to Chloe’s parents beach house. Chloe is best friends with 2 of my girl cousins so she invited them along and this started an avalanche. Slowly all my cousins started reaching out, saying they felt obligated to attend but didn’t want to go. Some were in the wedding but didn’t want to be. Most already took off work and wanted to come with us to Florida. I reached out to Emily’s ex husband and told him if he wanted to get out of town he was welcome, he is ecstatic and is bringing his new “friend” (he likes her and I’m excited to meet her).

When the rsvps came back no. The older generation flipped out. I started getting calls from uncles/aunts/grandparents asking what the hell I was doing. I said that we already weren’t going and our generation felt obligated. We didn’t force anyone to not go. Just gave an open invite. Emily and her fiancé called trying to strong arm me. I said “listen you two, have a wonderful wedding. I just don’t support it and think it’s better that I’m not there.” Well my mom and aunt (Emily’s mom) showed up at my house and told me how I’m fracturing the family and ruining the wedding. I told them that we were never going in the first place. Eventually I asked them to leave and haven’t been fielding anymore calls on it. All the cousins have already booked flights and a group chat has been made. I really don’t see how I’m being an AH because I didn’t force anyone. Emily/her fiancé made their decisions and we made ours. But I’m getting called an AH. AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugh. I did that once, and it was to someone younger, not to mention it was while staying with their family who was kind enough to host us for a few weeks' vacation. A big instant realization exactly when it was too late of "there's no way this is going to be anything but mean, why the gently caress did I even think of doing it?!"

Still one of the things I cringe hardest over, a good 25 years later :/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for “ruining” my cousins wedding by planning a trip that same weekend after I refused to attend?

Family family family family WELL WHAT ABOUT THE FAMILY COUSIN EMILY RUINED, EH, OLD FARTS?!

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Not their family, not their problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They're Italian-American and Emily's ex doesn't have puttanesca running through his veins.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Heartwarming that there's a whole new generation of that family (minus Emily) that is just giving the previous generations the fica in mano.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for not wanting to learn Japanese for my Japanese girlfriend?

quote:

My girlfriend is from Japan and we've been together for about a year now. She's often trying to convince me that I should learn Japanese. According to her that would help if I got to talk to her parents, and help me gain points with them. Also she said if we want to live in Japan later it would be very beneficial, and also when we have kids later they would be learning Japanese so I should be able to understand them too then.

But I don't really want to learn it. Japanese seems very complicated and apart from nerds who watch Japanese cartoons I don't think anyone really has any use for it. I understand that her parents don't speak English but she can just translate for me. And I don't want to live in Japan anyway, since the work and living conditions there are quite terrible. And for our children, I mean of course they'll also be learning English and German so talking with them won't be an issue and they can talk Japanese with their mother.

I told my girlfriend about it and she claims I'm just making excuses and am lazy. She even got me some practice books and says if I don't practice for 40 minutes every day she'll practice the vocabulary and grammar with me herself. AITA for not wanting to learn it? She learned German too but it's much easier for her, since she's highly gifted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't know who's the rear end in a top hat here but I can't imagine dating someone, having them offer me to teach me their language, and not whooping and yelling some "hell yeah"s.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know who's the rear end in a top hat here but I can't imagine dating someone, having them offer me to teach me their language, and not whooping and yelling some "hell yeah"s.

何?!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Dude is living the weeb dream and is a stupid lazy gently caress.