Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I never understood why the fans loved him so much and would always chant his name, prompting him to get up from the desk and wave like a royal or something.

Was it just that he was a later stage WCW guy and they latched onto him, or a thing of fans doing it once or twice so then everyone kept doing it because other fans had already done it?

I just never saw the appeal he had as a commentator except maybe that he was the one person at the desk who would willingly fight nWo guys?

He was working on angles with Bischoff and Hall which meant he got to be one of the few WCW guys who actually stood up to the nWo and look strong against them. So he seemed really cool, this old, curmudgeonly guy getting right in the bullies face. Did he say a lot of silly things about the cruiserweights, sure. But if you have a guy, you tell us he was a big star and let him act like a bad rear end people will think he's a cool grandpa even if he's only in his loving 40s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

He was working on angles with Bischoff and Hall which meant he got to be one of the few WCW guys who actually stood up to the nWo and look strong against them. So he seemed really cool, this old, curmudgeonly guy getting right in the bullies face. Did he say a lot of silly things about the cruiserweights, sure. But if you have a guy, you tell us he was a big star and let him act like a bad rear end people will think he's a cool grandpa even if he's only in his loving 40s!

Yeah, that's like the only real appeal I could see as someone who didn't grow up on him. I grew up on WWF, so I always loved Heenan even though (because?) he was a total coward and would run whenever the nWo would show up. Larry, as others mentioned, would routinely talk down people on commentary and just seemed like a dick and an old grandpa talking about his golf game or whatever. He seemed very far up his own rear end, but did have that thing of actually standing up to the nWo which no other announcer would do. Kind of like Lawler would sometimes step in and fight people despite being a commentator. It always got a big reaction, I guess because if you've been enough of a dick that even an announcer wants to fight you then the people are going to want to see you get your comeuppance from whoever is willing to dish it out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I barely knew anything about the AWA when I was a teenager, but I just had the notion that Larry was an old-school guy. When I was sick of the nWo crapping all over everything all the time, I kinda sympathized with anyone who was seen to be standing up to them.

Except Flair. He got humiliated so often and so thoroughly that I started to feel bad seeing him.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Lid posted:

Am I the only one who hated Zybysko? As a kid i could not understand why they kept calling him The Living Legend and he was always so smarmy. He was ostensibly the face colour guy but he undermined everyone and had this holier than thou attitude to everything. Whenever Heenan showed up it was a relief.

You are not alone, he was not good. How many times can you say the phrase "game of human chess" in relation to wcw wrestling and continue to take yourself so deadly serious.

According to him no heel tactic would ever work on him, he would single-handedly take on and defeat all 50 people in the new world odor if only someone would ask

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Larry refused to stand down to the NWO by leaving the announce desk, JUST LIKE DAN RATHER WHEN THE CHALLENGER EXPLODED, AND BODIES WERE FLYING EVERYWHERE

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm disappointed we never got a commentary team of Booker T and Stevie Ray.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't mind Zybysko. Cole has proven he can be decent when he doesn't have a particular person in his ear. Lawler, despite having a lot of issues could be good at times. Art Donovan was a one off and a terrible booking choice, plus his whole thing was kind of adorable in a way.

Mark Madden however is a horrible human being who seemingly runs purely on spite and added nothing of desired value to the role. Plus he cared more about putting himself over and being what he considered a "cool heel" commentator which was just unpleasant.

Worst team for me would be him, Vince, and Disco Inferno.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mark Madden would also reference CRZ live on air while insisting that he was an internet nobody.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

What did you think of Hardcore Holly?
I was old enough by then that the magic had worn off. Though, as always,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKc7M7QQKSs&t=7s

Also about Mark Madden, it drives me crazy that I cannot remember why I hated him before he started commentary on Nitro. I remember when my friends heard he was being hired a few of us were like WHAT THE gently caress WHY WOULD HE GET THAT JOB but looking at his Wikipedia it basically is like "he was born, told Hank Aaron that Bill Watts was racist, and then was hired to do commentary on Nitro" but I am 100% sure I both did not know about the Hank Aaron thing nor would I have had anything but love in my heart for him in that situation, so... no clue.

Edit:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mark Madden would also reference CRZ live on air while insisting that he was an internet nobody.
oh my god is THIS WHY? DID HE HAVE A FEUD WITH CRZ??? That would 100% explain it, I loved CRZ and still think "it's [NAME] and he's WALKING!" sometimes when I see backstage segments

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

oh my god is THIS WHY? DID HE HAVE A FEUD WITH CRZ??? That would 100% explain it, I loved CRZ and still think "it's [NAME] and he's WALKING!" sometimes when I see backstage segments

The mass spectrum of wrestler name puns on the internet have always sucked and objectively the only difference is I was a kid at the time but "Raymond Stereo" has stuck with me for multiple decades.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Whomst or whatst is "CRZ" in this context because I'm guessing its not the old Honda model

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CarlCX posted:

The mass spectrum of wrestler name puns on the internet have always sucked and objectively the only difference is I was a kid at the time but "Raymond Stereo" has stuck with me for multiple decades.
I wish I did not understand completely. If she were still around I am sure "CHYNA ALL THE WAY TO NEW YORK!" would still pop into my head every time I saw her thanks to it being so mindblowing at the time that a wrestling recapper was familiar with Tori Amos' back catalog

Also he is singlehandedly responsible for me knowing the extremely important wrestling move name "Okie blow" thanks to the infamous "DOUBLE DOUBLE OKIE BLOW!!!" recap when Benoit and Malenko did said move twice each to someone simultaneously

Basically I hope CRZ can see this and knows he is loved, even though of course like all 1990s Internet personalities he is probably a terrible libertarian

projecthalaxy posted:

Whomst or whatst is "CRZ" in this context because I'm guessing its not the old Honda model
Christopher Robin Zimmerman, I think that was right anyway, a recapper in the late 1990s who my friends and I at least thought was basically the only "consistently good" one whose opinions were not incredibly stupid and slobbered all over every recap. I also remember liking the Online Onslaught guys, not that I remember who they were

Was it Scott Keith who was the world's biggest piece of poo poo and lied about pops if he did not like the person getting them and hated literally everything about wrestling?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah at least CRZ would sometimes find a wrestling thing he really liked and gush about it. You couldn't impress Scott Keith unless Benoit was wrestling

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Scott Keith unless Benoit was wrestling

Yeah, but he gave us this.

quote:

Retire now, you crippled, has been, slow-moving, fried-food eating, motorcyle-riding, no-selling, tobacco-chewing, no-money-drawing, talentless piece of selfish poo poo. Kurt Angle is the future, you are NOTHING. Deal with it. And take Kane with you when you go. I’m sure the idiot rubes will cry and Ask the Rick where you went again for six months the next time you leave, but I’ll be happy to see you gone for good, where you can’t drag down any more PPVs.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
man i stuck with scott keith for way, way too loving long, in retrospect

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

D.N. Nation posted:

Dave as color commentator.

"Um, wait, Maggle, I heard that, you know, wait a second, I heard that Edge had some words for Judgment, that new faction, the new faction, Judgment Day, I got it in my notes somewhere" (papers rustle for the rest of the show)

I legit want Dave + Bryan or Bryan + Vinny to commentate a match now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"1, 2, you know, actually, if he gets the three here, it'll be--"
"Dave, I think--"
"Just let me finish, if he gets the three here, that'll actually be, well you know not the actual first time," *match ended 30 seconds previously* "but the first time since, I want to say the first time since his brief heel run back in 2013 that he actually got him down for even a long 2, let alone" *commercial break starts*

edogawa rando posted:

Ask the Rick
:stare:

RICK SCAIA

THE MEMORIES AHHHHHH NOOOOOO MAKE THEM STOP FLOODING BACK

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember Hyatte was a pretty good writer before he went insane/faked his death

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, but he gave us this.

Huh, turns out Scott Keith was right about something? Wow

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was old enough by then that the magic had worn off. Though, as always,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKc7M7QQKSs&t=7s

In Holly's book he talks about Steve Blackman getting into a fight with a drunk JBL which is admittedly a good story, where Steve getting his leg caught on something is the only thing from him murdering JBL but it gets hilarious when Holly talks about how 'dangerous' the car was because he rode with Blackman and Ken Shamrock. "Yeah, two-thirds of it is... oh, you're including yourself, Bob. Luh-mao."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Hyatte was a pretty good writer before he went insane/faked his death

He faked his death? I thought he died a few years back but he faked that?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember one of the early Adam Ryland booking games, I think EWR, used to present in game show reports in the style of Scott Keith, CRZ and maybe a few others.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He faked his death? I thought he died a few years back but he faked that?

Yeah everything I read was that he died of some kind of terminal cancer after stopping treatment.

But TBH nothing would surprise me.

Eric S of 411mania and Mr Tito’s Phat Daily Column were some of my must reads during that 99-01 period where I wasn’t watching wrestling but was following it via the sites.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

reality_groove posted:

I remember one of the early Adam Ryland booking games, I think EWR, used to present in game show reports in the style of Scott Keith, CRZ and maybe a few others.

The Scotsman too.

Matt Hardy married a McMahon in my game, just as I booked Matt Hardy V1 to win the WWE title.

I made a Team Canada faction led by Bret, with Benoit, Edge, Christian, Test and Don Callis as Benoit's manager.

Edit: I just remembered the Mattitude stable led by Matt Hardy that I made also had Maximum Jeff-ort Hardy, Shannon Moore, Shane Helms and Crash.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 10, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not really related but this reminded me of how I made Bob Ryder in WWF No Mercy, a fat bald man who did nothing but head drops, crazy ranas and the Blue Meanie dance.The ideal wrestler.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

reality_groove posted:

EWR definitely did this

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is exposing "the metal turnbuckle" (is it actually metal?) illegal? My memory is that heels do it behind the ref, or if the ref sees it they yell at them to knock it off, but I've never seen a disqualification over it.

Is it because it's part of the ring? But so are the steps and I'm pretty sure hitting somebody with them is a DQ

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I would think willingly tampering with the ring by exposing the turnbuckle would be illegal but I dunno if anyone has actually been DQed for it.

Hitting a part of the ring with a person is legal but hitting someone with a part of the ring is illegal is how I always interpreted that. This also applies to stuff not part of the ring such as the barricade or announce table. For this reason you can slam their head into the steps or use the ringpost but you can't pick up the steps or rip out the ringpost and use them as a weapon or whip someone with the ropes like you're Omega Red from Marvel vs. Capcom.

I'm not sure if hitting your opponent with an audience member is illegal or not.

And a turnbuckle really is metal. It's a device that is used to tighten the ropes (also used for fences and such) and needs to be pretty robust to handle a lot of tension.

Has anyone tampered with the turnbuckle so the top rope sags comically low so it's easier to throw people over the top in a royal rumble? Or to prevent Big Show from entering the ring since he can't do his step-over-the-top-rope entrance like some kinda trick to avoid the wrath of a yokai?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 10, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dunno, but the spot where Dan Lambert took down the top rope so Hangman couldnt do the buckshot was, in my opinion, the best use of ring destruction to serve a purpose. Any other examples of dudes modifying the ring to cut off a finisher? Like when nakazawa baby oiled the top rope to sabotage a SSP.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

There was that time they used magic to break the ropes so Finn Balor couldn't hit his double stomp

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It wasn't the ring but now I'm remembering that time Eddie Guerrero undid his shoelaces so when Kurt Angle went for the anklelock he only got his boot

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

DeathChicken posted:

It wasn't the ring but now I'm remembering that time Eddie Guerrero undid his shoelaces so when Kurt Angle went for the anklelock he only got his boot

It also allowed him to twist his boot around and pretend Angle broke his foot!

Its the Mania 20 match if you want to see the GOAT at work

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So I was listening to B&V and they referenced a previous falling out with AEW and New Japan and I was unaware of this. I knew about the ROH/New Japan fall out stemming somewhat from their joint show, but what happened with AEW?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

So I was listening to B&V and they referenced a previous falling out with AEW and New Japan and I was unaware of this. I knew about the ROH/New Japan fall out stemming somewhat from their joint show, but what happened with AEW?

AEW started & signed up The Young Bucks & Kenny & Hangman & Best Friends who were all regulars in New Japan (even Cody was used frequently, as poor a fit as he was) & were a huge part of the US expansion plans. So Harold Meij threw the toys out of the pram & decided they weren't going to do anything with AEW.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there wasnt really a significant falling out with roh, njpw was still theoretically loyal to roh through the first couple years of aew's existence. its just that coincided with covid and the irrelevance of roh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

there wasnt really a significant falling out with roh, njpw was still theoretically loyal to roh through the first couple years of aew's existence. its just that coincided with covid and the irrelevance of roh

Nah, there was some heat with the ROH partnership that didn't really turnaround until Marty Scurll took over as ROH booker & Delirious was demoted. And then Marty got Me Too'd but by that point the relationship was in a better place. And then COVID.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan also thought Tony Khan and AEW was a money mark promotion at launch and didn't quite get how key TNT was to making it succeed. Add in they had the MSG show with ROH and Meiji being stubborn and whelp you get the companies not working together

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

IWGP <whatever> are the NJPW belts, right?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yes

Also the NEVER titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

IWGP <whatever> are the NJPW belts, right?

Mostly, yes. But there are also the NEVER Openweight & NEVER 6 Man Tag Titles which aren't "sanctioned" by the IWGP. NEVER was a sub-brand of New Japan, which ran shows in the small Shinkiba 1stRING venue, & was a place for their youngers to get some more time in the ring & face some outsiders. Except by the time the NEVER Openweight Title tournament was over (won by Masato Tanaka), they would never run another NEVER show again. The shows look super fun on paper,

Also, it's an acronym. "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal", and "Radical". Yeah, I dunno either.

I wish they'd run those shows again, them or the later iteration, Lion's Gate Project. Made for some really cool little shows.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 10, 2022