Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm glad I don't like racing games cause the naming system of those games is out of control

I'm partial to the Japanese names of the Fast and Furious movies.

Wild Speed
Wild Speed X2
Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift
Wild Speed MAX
Wild Speed MEGA MAX
Wild Speed: Euro Mission
Wild Speed: Sky Mission
Wild Speed: Ice Break
Wild Speed: Super Combo
(ed: Hobbs & Shaw!)
Wild Speed: Jet Break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I decided to reinstall Slay the Spire and have been having fun with it, but I'm starting to get bored with the same encounters over and over. Any good card battlers out there like it?

I just tried the demo for Inscryption and the actual game play seems like it could be fun, but everything else surrounding the game just seemed tedious. I'm not looking for a Card Game Simulator where I need to press buttons to make my character lean over the table to see what my opponent played...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sab669 posted:

I decided to reinstall Slay the Spire and have been having fun with it, but I'm starting to get bored with the same encounters over and over. Any good card battlers out there like it?

I just tried the demo for Inscryption and the actual game play seems like it could be fun, but everything else surrounding the game just seemed tedious. I'm not looking for a Card Game Simulator where I need to press buttons to make my character lean over the table to see what my opponent played...

Everyone loves Monster Train, so definitely look at that. I like an old one called - I think Spectromancer.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sab669 posted:

Not what you asked for, but did you try the free mod that adds a ton of classes? I don't play it much, but the wife does, and it's hilarious to see her play as the slime boss and fight merchants and player classes, as well as other mob reactions such as slimes going "OMG IT'S THE BOSS". My head got wrecked later when she played as Snecko vs another Snecko. :psyduck:

For an alternative, Fights in Tight Spaces is a lot of fun, but doesn't feel as catchy as StS.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

I vastly preferred Monster Train to StS

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 9, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Monster train is the closest alternative I've seen in terms of overall quality. It is still a very different game, play with the volume high because the music and sounds are half the fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I got really hooked on Griftlands for a few weeks, an StS-like by Klei.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/601840/Griftlands/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neon White releases June 16th

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Remember Routine? Apparently it isn’t dead! This is so old that I think it might’ve gone through Greenlight.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I enjoyed Griftlands but it had no staying power. With Slay the Spire and Monster Train I had fun trying to beat higher ascension levels. Every Griftlands campaign was a one and done for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sokani posted:

I enjoyed Griftlands but it had no staying power. With Slay the Spire and Monster Train I had fun trying to beat higher ascension levels. Every Griftlands campaign was a one and done for me.

It held my attention for a while. There’s a fair amount of variability in how things play out, both in terms of your choices and random events, even if the endings always converge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge releases on June 16th as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
We are in the era we’re we are gonna start getting remakes for games that don’t really need it but will get you money.

RE4 is more proof of that than last of us tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmm looks like Humankind is mixed on Steam and it really feels like nobody talked about it a week after release, what's the deal with that game anyways?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sab669 posted:

Gordian Quest is a take on the genre with heavier RPG mechanics. It's really solid and leaves Early Access later this month.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordja posted:

Hmm looks like Humankind is mixed on Steam and it really feels like nobody talked about it a week after release, what's the deal with that game anyways?

As someone who really likes it a lot, its main culture picking gimmick is a double-edged sword and it's even more solvable than other 4Xes because of it.

Also the multiplayer is borked but that's the same for any of that dev's games.

E: If there were a way to semi-randomize what cultures you had access to, and if they did more than just add a single unit and building each tier, the game would have more feet, but as it is the gimmick isn't enough to stop each playthrough from feeling kind of samey. Which is a shame because there's a lot of really neat ideas, like the entire Neolithic Era phase.

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 9, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mordja posted:

It’s…fine, there are just way better options for 4x games. It had a decent buggy release that was slow to be fixed and just feels kind of meandering and aimless and flavorless to play. I haven’t played in awhile so maybe some of that stuff has been addressed, but it was a number of good ideas and a number of bad ideas all smooshed together at launch with excellent presentation, as you’d expect from Amplitude. They’ve been slowly working away at it and I hope they eventually make it more than fine, because it’s such a beautiful game to 4x it up in. And the combat is inexplicably fun.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mordja posted:

Some half-baked features at launch, like pollution, took some time to fix (?). That and people REALLY hate that you switch from culture to culture throughout the game, as well as war having a limit that stops you from conquering all the land you want unless you had previously laid a justifiable claim to it as part of your casus belli.

And then there's the usual camp that thinks it's literally white genocide because it has black people in it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Competing with a behemoth like Civilization was never going to be an easy ride no matter what. The Civ crowd will just keep playing Civ x while complaining loudly that it's poo poo, unlike the absolute masterpiece that was Civ x-1. And then they'll buy Civ x+1 instead of your game.

You really have to get everything perfect for it to work out, and some of Amplitude's best skills were in narrating the weird universes they created. The historical context doesn't play to that strength.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Det_no posted:

And then there's the usual camp that thinks it's literally white genocide because it has black people in it.

Oh yeah those guys can go gently caress themselves

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anno posted:

It’s…fine, there are just way better options for 4x games. It had a decent buggy release that was slow to be fixed and just feels kind of meandering and aimless and flavorless to play.

This is how I felt too. It's a shame because I want to see more takes on the Civ formula (especially less boardgame-y) but it's just mushy mediocrity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best possible remake of RE4 is porting the Wii version with the motion controls to VR

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlestheHammer posted:

We are in the era we’re we are gonna start getting remakes for games that don’t really need it but will get you money.

RE4 is more proof of that than last of us tho

RE4 has a treasure trove of scrapped and cut content, a lack of cohesiveness between its three main regions plus the chapter breaks, an over reliance on QTEs (hey I love them but they are a lot and horrible for accessibility) and a select few poor encounters (water room, anything with Novistadors). Oh, plus the extremely dated visuals which the HD project does a lot to help with, but it's still not perfect. The RE4make trailer is clearly showing that they're using a lot of content from the RE3.5 Hookman beta which is extremely exciting and could add a lot to a few of the dangling subplots of RE4 that were never used, like Leon and Ashley being infected with Las Plagas.

The Last of Us looks literally identical to the PS4 remaster of the first game but slightly prettier. Remakes are good for when technology has advanced massively, or if you're doing something very different on the same framework. TLOU Remake seems like neither thus far.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The best possible remake of RE4 is porting the Wii version with the motion controls to VR

RE4 VR exists, it's on the Quest.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

RE4 has a treasure trove of scrapped and cut content, a lack of cohesiveness between its three main regions plus the chapter breaks, an over reliance on QTEs (hey I love them but they are a lot and horrible for accessibility) and a select few poor encounters (water room, anything with Novistadors). Oh, plus the extremely dated visuals which the HD project does a lot to help with, but it's still not perfect. The RE4make trailer is clearly showing that they're using a lot of content from the RE3.5 Hookman beta which is extremely exciting and could add a lot to a few of the dangling subplots of RE4 that were never used, like Leon and Ashley being infected with Las Plagas.

The Last of Us looks literally identical to the PS4 remaster of the first game but slightly prettier. Remakes are good for when technology has advanced massively, or if you're doing something very different on the same framework. TLOU Remake seems like neither thus far.

Eh we will see the last remake the did 3 actually cut content from the game. I wouldn’t doubt if this Judy ends up being similar to the demon souls remake which is demon souls but prettier.

Which was pretty disappointing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RE4 had so much cut content they made entire new franchises out of it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mordja posted:

Had the same issues mentioned previously, personally I found the culture switching to be very odd in practice and kind of a negative. If you're into Civ-type games I would recommend checking out Old World for sure, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh we will see the last remake the did 3 actually cut content from the game. I wouldn’t doubt if this Judy ends up being similar to the demon souls remake which is demon souls but prettier.

Which was pretty disappointing

They kicked off the team who did the remake of 3 off of 4 and gave it back to the team who did 2. Besides, I don't mind if they cut some other content out so long as the new stuff is good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I don't understand the idea of saying RE4's remake is more egregious than a TLOU remake. Tlou has a ps4 remaster when it was a PS3 game. While RE4 has a hd version when it's a ps2/gamecube game. To me it just seems like a waste of resources for Naughty Dog but I guess they need something out with the HBO show and anything TLOU will print money anyway. This just seems like a low effort high reward decision by ND. Not much downside, some people will complain but most will buy it and they get to have another big game for fall.

I definitely like them releasing this on PC before they release TLOU2. For some reason with Uncharted they decided to release 4+expansion instead of doing the collection first.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They kicked off the team who did the remake of 3 off of 4 and gave it back to the team who did 2. Besides, I don't mind if they cut some other content out so long as the new stuff is good.

I don’t think they added anything I think 3 is just shorter than the original for some bizarre reason.

I sincerely doubt we will see any new content but well, we will see

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

Monster train is the closest alternative I've seen in terms of overall quality. It is still a very different game, play with the volume high because the music and sounds are half the fun.

Meh, I played one run and will definitely be muting it and watching/listening to podcasts simultaneously.
Fun concept for a game though! I like it so far

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Gordian Quest is a take on the genre with heavier RPG mechanics. It's really solid and leaves Early Access later this month.

Generally not a fan of Rogueli*es so the fact that this isn't sounds pretty sweet. I assume there will be a price hike after EA? Maybe I'll just snag it now...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
MFE has a demo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390410/Midnight_Fight_Express/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like I've asked this before, but is there a way to easily make a list of everything I have in my humble account, or would I need to manually list everything? because over the years I have accumulated...a lot

that's pages of bundles, not individual items

I want to sell the stuff I've not used/have dupes of, and it'd be great if there's an easier way to make a list besides manually doing it one by one.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Can't speak for it, but would this be something to look into?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sab669 posted:

Tainted Grail is another really cool one based on a really twisted Arthurian boardgame that's got a very Dark Soulsy aesthetic and it has an honestly incredible soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8swcbM1WRU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think they added anything I think 3 is just shorter than the original for some bizarre reason.

I sincerely doubt we will see any new content but well, we will see

They expanded the Raccoon City streets, they totally altered every Nemesis and encounter, extended the Carlos section, added more of the initial moments of the outbreak… they kinda did put in a lot of original content. It’s a totally different game than the original. Yes, it’s shorter and doesn’t have the multiple choices and the Gravedigger fight or the clock tower area, but it’s still a completely different game. It’s disappointing when compared to the superior RE2make but is otherwise a very good game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They expanded the Raccoon City streets, they totally altered every Nemesis and encounter, extended the Carlos section, added more of the initial moments of the outbreak… they kinda did put in a lot of original content. It’s a totally different game than the original. Yes, it’s shorter and doesn’t have the multiple choices and the Gravedigger fight or the clock tower area, but it’s still a completely different game. It’s disappointing when compared to the superior RE2make but is otherwise a very good game.

Eh I found 3 pretty mediocre especially after two but with the info we have I can’t say it definitely won’t happen so will wait to see

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tight aspirations posted:

Can't speak for it, but would this be something to look into?
it seems to only have 9 ratings, not sure I want to entrust these to something like that, it could just make a list of the codes and send it off to whoever, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game seems cool as hell, not really going to spend a ton of time with this demo but I am absolutely wishlisting this one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is Cyberpunk worth the $20 or whatever it is with the epic coupon now? Even if the open world sucks, I'm kinda interested in the main missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chas McGill posted:

Is Cyberpunk worth the $20 or whatever it is with the epic coupon now? Even if the open world sucks, I'm kinda interested in the main missions.

Yea