Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bonded with one of my best friends when we met at the board game cafe and I was playing early Mastodon in the kitchen. We would listen to tons of eclectic stuff together; he'd expose me to other metal I'd never heard before, some classic poo poo that I should have known more of like Deftones, we found another common interest in bro dubstep which i'd use as an excuse to drop some drum & bass or classic electronica like Chemical Brothers, also loads of hip-hop (I still hate Kanye but Yeezus is a masterpiece that we listened to a lot). When To Pimp a Butterfly came out I pirated a copy and we listened to it like four times in one shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BiggerBoat posted:

Should have blasted that poo poo

Quick question: if you're a dishwasher, are you typically allowed to wear ear buds?

"allowed" will depend on the kitchen but I'd say it's a bad idea in general during service - you're talking about a crowded environment where people are moving around with various hot/sharp objects, and expensive/perishable foods. Situational awareness is important. For end of the shift cleanup, I don't see an issue.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Quick question: if you're a dishwasher, are you typically allowed to wear ear buds?

Absolutely not during any kind of time where there are other people in the kitchen. If you're there after dinner service at the end of the night maybe but probably not then. It's just too dangerous amd also a lot of communication needs to happen. Would be curious if this is different in other goon kitchens.

The other reason is we all want to know what you're listening to so we can make fun of it tbh.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The younger guys at my place never want control of the Bluetooth speaker and just keep one (never two) earbud in all day long. Don't know if they're listening to music or podcasts or streamers or what. It's kind of annoying because it keeps them off in their own little worlds all day long but me and one other lady get to hog the speaker so :toot:

I listen to all kinds of stuff but mostly KEXP or Bagel Radio and she likes El Bueno, La Mala y El Feo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Earbuds in the kitchen is absolutely insane to me. Even if it were allowed I wouldn't have done it when I was working dishpit, for all the reasons listed above. I first encountered some young dishwashers wearing earbuds at the board game cafe. "You can't be listening to earbuds at work, it's dangerous." "Chef [who is my uncle] said I could." I fought it but it went nowhere because that place was largely toxic and that chef was an incompetent nepotistic rear end in a top hat who already hated my guts.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
We allow one earbud before open/after close (and unofficially during the last hour or so, once we slow down to a trickle of tickets nobody cares anymore), and the bluetooth speaker is just run by whoever gets around to it. The genre varies wildly, the other night it was 70s music (started with Gloria Gaynor radio), last night it was 00s rock. Lots of rap, sometimes newer sometimes older. One cook has been on a mid-90s rap kick.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Earbuds in the kitchen is absolutely insane to me. Even if it were allowed I wouldn't have done it when I was working dishpit, for all the reasons listed above. I first encountered some young dishwashers wearing earbuds at the board game cafe. "You can't be listening to earbuds at work, it's dangerous." "Chef [who is my uncle] said I could." I fought it but it went nowhere because that place was largely toxic and that chef was an incompetent nepotistic rear end in a top hat who already hated my guts.

Yeah it's wild. I've worked in construction, factories, kitchens, machining, and healthcare using needles/etc and I saw more workplace injuries in the kitchens than anywhere else. It's literally not a very safe place even when everyone is trying to make it safe so anything stepping away from safety seems crazy.

What does DP Adam listen to?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah it's wild. I've worked in construction, factories, kitchens, machining, and healthcare using needles/etc and I saw more workplace injuries in the kitchens than anywhere else. It's literally not a very safe place even when everyone is trying to make it safe so anything stepping away from safety seems crazy.

The difference is that most places where workplace safety is a real consideration (like all the places you listed above) - there are very specific protocols for most jobs, and the more dangerous the job, the more likely you need additional training to do it or are required to take additional precautions. "Lock out, tag out" is one I can think of immediately, but also all the little things like running a lathe in a machine shop (don't wear gloves or long sleeves), the sharps boxes at every medical facility, etc.

Meanwhile kitchens are "Here's your duel 50 lb. fryer, set the timer every time you put food in there, and try to remember not to reach in if you drop anything." It's a dynamic environment in a confined, uncontrolled space with multiple other individuals, most of whom are handling or carrying something hot, sharp, or both.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Most well run kitchens will allow one ear in the dish pit. A competent team can really do whatever they want, cover each other for breaks, etc. Perks are always a huge benefit in that role.

VelociBacon posted:

Last five on Tidal played were

Marian, Sisters of Mercy
Spellbound, Siouxsie and the Banshees
Poison Lips, Vitalic
Тоска, Molchat Doma
Cry Little Sister, Marilyn Manson

At Canlis we had a chef who blasted Joy Division and Bauhaus during prep. I might have been one of a half dozen who went along with it, others were quietly like "what cemetery did we portal into"

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I was washing dishes in a planned community at a new restaurant that suffered badly from lack of BOH talent

We got this very quiet guy, Greg, late 20s, who could fry fish flawlessly but always burned saute pans. I'd give him coaching but none of it worked and he always gave me carbon stains to scrub. He was heavily marked in oil burns on both arms, but the most distinctive thing about him was a bright red "Stephanie" tattoo along his his left forearm.

At some point, a server conducting intense interrogation discovered that Stephanie was a former girlfriend of Greg's but apparently received no further information. A few days later, that same server told me Greg confined to her that Stephanie had died after Greg got the tattoo, and that she killed herself. I kept this to myself.

It was another month before we got Greg comfortable enough to open up a little, and talk about this Stephanie he deared so much to stain her name on his body

"That was the girl I was going to lose my virginity to," he said, about this girl who died 10 years ago

I personally reacted in stunned silence like the other cooks, and our sous chef very curiously laughed and asked "What did you do for the girl you did lose your virginity to?"

And Greg, full of embarrassment, without answer to this burning question, withdrew even further and never spoke to any of us again beyond the absolute essential communications.

He'd still bring me burned saute pans, burned aluminum pasta boilers used to caramelize onions, whatever kitchen equipment he wanted to abuse, I'd silently scrub without scorn. I just left him alone until I left the place entirely, mystery hanging. Whoever lays this guy is going to get a Taj Mahal, I swear

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mithross posted:

We allow one earbud before open/after close (and unofficially during the last hour or so, once we slow down to a trickle of tickets nobody cares anymore), and the bluetooth speaker is just run by whoever gets around to it. The genre varies wildly, the other night it was 70s music (started with Gloria Gaynor radio), last night it was 00s rock. Lots of rap, sometimes newer sometimes older. One cook has been on a mid-90s rap kick.

This is how I run my kitchen. No earbuds during services, feel free to throw one in during the afternoon slow period/when we're cleaning up after dinner, but if it's loud enough that when I call your name at a reasonable volume you can't hear me, all privileges will be revoked. I haven't had to revoke them yet.

And the bluetooth speaker is on or not depending on who's in the kitchen/who gets around to setting a playlist, other than friday/saturday services because that poo poo is long and I don't want to have to call board even louder than normal for the busy services.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
We had this new hire and on his first day he had both earbuds in and apparently so loud that he couldn't hear people shouting his name from 2 ft away in an otherwise quiet kitchen. He didn't last a month. He was cocky, moronic, and carefree, it must be utter bliss.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

WITCHCRAFT posted:

What music do you play in the kitchen, and what music do you find to be the most accepted genre/style in your kitchen?

When I started at this place, my chef at the time said, "Meester Mother, we are going to listen to some music now. We are all kind of from the 80's, right Meester Mother? So we are going to listen to some 80's music, okay?"

If you'd told me this guy moonlighted as a werewolf, I would have believed it. Covered in tattoos of demons and such, sides of his head shaved and a four foot long jet black ponytail, scars all over and probably not from kitchen injuries, more like mosh pits or motorcycle accidents. I assumed he was a big heavy metal guy. In fact, I was almost certain he had mentioned exactly that. So I was ready to rock out.

His playlist began.

And it was ALL stuff like that. Soft pop rock, the entire day. At first I thought it was a gag, but it continued week after week. I mean, it was pleasant to listen to, but... I'm still suspicious it's a long-running practical joke at my expense.

Nowadays we only play Ranchera.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

When I started at this place, my chef at the time said, "Meester Mother, we are going to listen to some music now. We are all kind of from the 80's, right Meester Mother? So we are going to listen to some 80's music, okay?"

If you'd told me this guy moonlighted as a werewolf, I would have believed it. Covered in tattoos of demons and such, sides of his head shaved and a four foot long jet black ponytail, scars all over and probably not from kitchen injuries, more like mosh pits or motorcycle accidents. I assumed he was a big heavy metal guy. In fact, I was almost certain he had mentioned exactly that. So I was ready to rock out.

His playlist began.

And it was ALL stuff like that. Soft pop rock, the entire day. At first I thought it was a gag, but it continued week after week. I mean, it was pleasant to listen to, but... I'm still suspicious it's a long-running practical joke at my expense.

Nowadays we only play Ranchera.

I clicked that link and uh they're playing a show here in 6 days.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'd lose my drat mind in this job if I didn't have an earbud to listen to podcasts during the slower times. Our prep cook uses a speaker to listen to podcasts, the Hamilton soundtrack and what I call "baby music with gently caress words."

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Republicans posted:

…Hamilton soundtrack and what I call "baby music with gently caress words."

Mother of God

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Unfortunately but I’m sure it’s happened to people before but god drat, dealing with a mass shooting on the street Saturday into Pride Sunday is not a lot of fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Unfortunately but I’m sure it’s happened to people before but god drat, dealing with a mass shooting on the street Saturday into Pride Sunday is not a lot of fun

gently caress.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Skwirl posted:

gently caress.

Yeah accurate response. Kind of expecting the city to put a curfew on our street for the summer which will completely gently caress us. It’s all really lousy. At least four separate shooting incidents since Memorial Day, a car drove into a store and ran someone over in the process. Normal summer craziness in philadelphia but turned to 11 already

Wizard Mannequin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 6, 2022

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was gonna guess Philly…Really sorry to hear that, just tragic poo poo you shouldn’t have to deal with. My sister lives a half mile away from there. Incomprehensible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Prep was always high energy punk and thrash metal for me. Lots of Dropkick Murphys because the other BoH opener liked them too.

The bakery was a different vibe I spent like a year there on a 90's country kick because that was the only radio station that would come in clearly and we didn't have wifi.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
California passed a law starting this month about single use stuff like forks and straws but also condiments. I've said nuts to enforcing that cause my wages didn't increase and I'm sure Newsom wont be giving me a tax break.

And then a new button has shown up on the register

gently caress me they want to keep loving records on this poo poo?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Just Smile and Suggest the Combo Meal

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In one of the provinces the government did a soda tax overnight and our POS supplier couldn't update their 1990's spaghetti code fast enough so hundreds of restaurants had to do that poo poo by hand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leal posted:

California passed a law starting this month about single use stuff like forks and straws but also condiments. I've said nuts to enforcing that cause my wages didn't increase and I'm sure Newsom wont be giving me a tax break.

Tag yourself I'm Yellow Sweetner

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Tag yourself I'm Yellow Sweetner

I'm Done.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Leal posted:

drat you’re a badass

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sticking it to the man, one ketchup packet at a time

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I bet they don’t even smile when they try to sell the combo meal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Michelin Guide announced star recipients for Florida tonight for the first time.

Orlando 1 Stars:

quote:

Capa, Soseki, Kadence, and Knife & Spoon

Miami 2 Stars:

quote:

L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon Miami

Miami 1 Stars:

quote:

Surf Club, Stubborn Seed, Los Félix, Le Jardinier Miami, Hiden, Elcielo, The Den at Sushi Azabu Miami, Cote, Boia De, Ariete

As usual, they completely ignored anything Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Middle Eastern and Mexican.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm curious what a miami robuchon looks like

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Isn't Los Félix Mexican?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Rumor goes that Michelin guide is hitting PNW for the first time this year.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Canada too, can't wait to find out that there are restaurants in Montreal and Toronto

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

Canada too, can't wait to find out that there are restaurants in Montreal and Toronto

Joe Beef finally gets a Michelin Star? :allears:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

Joe Beef finally gets a Michelin Star? :allears:

lol, "a" star

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

not your job to enforce that nonsense

gently caress it throw handfuls of poo poo in there if they ask, takes longer to count them and you got better poo poo to do

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Look, can any Frenchman born in France truly appreciate la cuisine de chez nous

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

i got a star id like to show them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Well...

- Allegedly the owners (a couple who live together) got into a physical altercation at the restaurant yesterday. Not the first time it’s happened, according to others.
- My fellow sushi chef told me she borrowed money from our tip jar to pay her drug dealer.
- Someone signed our Pride flag with “free Palestine.”

Ya know, restaurant things.