Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, is her big thing GMing for hire, really?

Their website talks about events they host at their house and also an upcoming 4 day event at a North Carolina mansion. They also apparently have done D&D cruises as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, is her big thing GMing for hire, really?

She does that, and other content creation stuff, she does live streams, and I think other consulting things behind the scenes.

But yeah, GMing for hire can be pretty lucrative.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I think I've seen her only in LA by NIght and in some stuff on Good Time Society but not as a gm. She does d&d stuff for wotc right?

She also had a series for Geek & Sundry about GMing advice. There were a couple episodes where she brought on :zak: as a special guest, but those videos were hidden after the abuse allegations came out.

Arrrthritis posted:

Of course this happens in all other avenues of twitch as well, not just TTRPGs.

Twitch streaming/influencing does tend to self-select for certain personality types that crave the clout and don't really care about or respect the feelings of others. This isn't to say everyone's that way, just that like getting really big means dealing with a lot of people watching and judging you, and how you deal with all those people interacting with you like they know you can really beat you down.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 9, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

So help me, I keep reading her name as "Saltine Phoenix."

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Cessna posted:

So help me, I keep reading her name as "Saltine Phoenix."

I was trying to explain this drama to a friend today and auto-correct would not let me type anything else.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tsilkani posted:

Their website talks about events they host at their house and also an upcoming 4 day event at a North Carolina mansion. They also apparently have done D&D cruises as well.

Anyone trying to sell cruises in 2022 is already awful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

It's going well.

Copyright me do not steal

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Free monitor at booth... what is that... 525? 585? I guess they are in aisle 800. Whatever. Supplies are limited.

Kinda surprised that they didn't take that banner with her pic on it, but they must have been in that huge of a rush to get the gently caress out.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Free monitor at booth... what is that... 525? 585? I guess they are in aisle 800. Whatever. Supplies are limited.

Kinda surprised that they didn't take that banner with her pic on it, but they must have been in that huge of a rush to get the gently caress out.

Honestly I'm genuinely surprised they left anything, because doing so made that photo practically a guarantee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hashtag last minute

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Word is she's still around somewhere. Dunno if he's been sighted. He may have just hosed off back home or something so she can do her own very sad redemption tour.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

Yeah. Essentially they do 'luxury gaming.' Do you want to drop a few grand to play with Satine in a castle? Or on a cruise? Hell no. Of course you do!!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I mean unless they changed the dates on their hotel and flight they might just be avoiding the convention and enjoying all the other sites to see in *reads from card* Columbus, Ohio

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

A buddy of mine is actually there. I told him to go by and grab the monitor.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Essentially they do 'luxury gaming.' Do you want to drop a few grand to play with Satine in a castle? Or on a cruise? Hell no. Of course you do!!

This is just such a bizarre business model to me because she feels like such a sub d-list celebrity? Like, prior to this controversy dropping I had absolutely no idea who this woman was and still have very little idea as to what she's actually popular for besides "Appearing adjacent to some D&D-related projects" and "Used to be an adult actress".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

Word is she's still around somewhere. Dunno if he's been sighted. He may have just hosed off back home or something so she can do her own very sad redemption tour.

His lawyer warned him about the "throw you under bus" clause in the prenup, but did he listen? Noooo

Gerund posted:

I mean unless they changed the dates on their hotel and flight they might just be avoiding the convention and enjoying all the other sites to see in *reads from card* Columbus, Ohio

Flavortown, babeh!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Gerund posted:

They're in a hotel room somewhere with a gaggle of name-tier sycophants, plotting their next move. I'm neither famous nor an abusive business partner, but at conventions I almost always end up holed up with other creators at about our level because it's the most fun thing to do and you don't get to do it very often.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Columbus actually has really, really good restaurants. (I’ve gotten food around Origins in years before the Plague.)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

His lawyer warned him about the "throw you under bus" clause in the prenup, but did he listen? Noooo

His lawyer might come from the "a husband and wife can't be charged with the same crime!" school of law.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200?s=20&t=Lk6TCRNB2WjHafsg68mQCg

Comments disabled is a nice touch too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad she found some nice random stranger to take that picture for her!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't think we need to rubberneck what Santine is doing in lieu of apologizing or disappearing into the night or talk about how someone should steal a computer monitor off a con table. Surely there's more amusing ways to riff on this if we must.

Actually, as an amusing laugh break from all this heavy poo poo, how about we check in on how mainstream media outlets are handling a wider awareness of video games and tabletop RPGs?

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1534586362678153216

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 9, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think we need to rubberneck what Santine is doing in lieu of apologizing or disappearing into the night or talk about how someone should steal a computer monitor off a con table. Surely there's more amusing ways to riff on this if we must.

Actually, as an amusing laugh break from all this heavy poo poo, how about we check in on how mainstream media outlets are handling a wider awareness of video games and tabletop RPGs?

:lmao:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Apparently one of the stretch goal writers hasn't been paid at all yet.

https://twitter.com/GeekyPinup/status/1534974266352889856

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

The real victim here: the possibly abandoned computer monitor. How low can goons go?!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I expect there to be lengthy blog post now about how this attack on the couple was all an orchestrated hate campaign from the goons at Something Awful. The idle threat of old monitor theft will be mentioned and highlighted.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

honestly this was a nice change from people describing RPGs as "Witcher 3 except it's all in your head."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been reading this and all it reinforces to me is that there are sooooo many people who are suuuuuper famous that I've neeeever heard of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I've been reading this and all it reinforces to me is that there are sooooo many people who are suuuuuper famous that I've neeeever heard of.

You are probably like most of us here, not breathlessly waiting for a person who is famous for playing D&D with a different famous person to release a boring 5e campaign setting. You would be surprised how many people are, though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

The real victim here: the possibly abandoned computer monitor. How low can goons go?!

I don't understand what you're trying to get at here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m making fun of you acting like us joking about stealing the monitor is tasteless or problematic.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m making fun of you acting like us joking about stealing the monitor is tasteless or problematic.

It’s not problematic it’s just not funny. But go ahead and impress me with a good joke about the monitor if you want to talk about it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Magnetic North posted:

"suuuuuper famous" does not describe any of the people this thread has been about today.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

You are probably like most of us here, not breathlessly waiting for a person who is famous for playing D&D with a different famous person to release a boring 5e campaign setting. You would be surprised how many people are, though.

I mean, I think "famous" is all relative. Satine has 1/13th the followers of Matt Mercer, and Mercer is barely a well-known name in what is still a fairly niche community. And Jamison is more of a behind-the-scenes guy, so no one really knew who he was.

The better takeaway is how little power it takes for someone to be able to behave like an absolute shitheel and get away with it for a long time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

It’s not problematic it’s just not funny. But go ahead and impress me with a good joke about the monitor if you want to talk about it.

We were, without your permission. I’m sorry. I’ll make sure to tell Robert Facepalmer to run their jokes by you first next time.

admanb posted:

The better takeaway is how little power it takes for someone to be able to behave like an absolute shitheel and get away with it for a long time.

Yeah, an audience/influence and some (stolen) money is a fast lane to a god complex for these types.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 9, 2022

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

They cancelled their Inclusivity panel lol

https://twitter.com/RobertGReeve/status/1534988197050064896

And Satine's assistant resigned.

https://twitter.com/MitigatedText/status/1534989283735511041

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

admanb posted:

This is more or less the lesson i'm taking from all this satin phoenix stuff. Just a tiny bit of power is enough to turn someone into an absolute shitheel.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

We were, without your permission. I’m sorry. I’ll make sure to tell Robert Facepalmer to run their jokes by you first next time.

2/100 and this is after I’m giving you extra credit for putting your name on the quiz. Your license application is not approved.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nuns with Guns posted:

T-t-t-turn off your monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

2/100 and this is after I’m giving you extra credit for putting your name on the quiz. Your license application is not approved.

Your whining about the monitor jokes is also adding nothing.