Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i say swears online posted:

all I did was basic and my hearing is hosed

i was still in shock about how am i still alive after being in a room full of idiots with live frag grenades unsupervised during my conscription

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I will be mildly interested to see what kind of 3d printers the us mic will trial, license, procure, and use to produce these items. And at what final cost per unit.

I suppose the other strategy would be to make the recipe freely available and let the free market compete to produce the highest quality item at lowest cost. Yeah, that's probably what will happen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

palindrome posted:

I will be mildly interested to see what kind of 3d printers the us mic will trial, license, procure, and use to produce these items. And at what final cost per unit.

I suppose the other strategy would be to make the recipe freely available and let the free market compete to produce the highest quality item at lowest cost. Yeah, that's probably what will happen.

look at this chinese spy

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why didn't they just design the new rifle to shoot steel cased ammo? The three piece cartridge seems unnecessarily complicated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why didn't they just design the new rifle to shoot steel cased ammo? The three piece cartridge seems unnecessarily complicated.

weight

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Maybe they should have done something about the weight of the fuckin gun then christ.

If the US Army is really so worried about defeating body armor with whatever their new infantry rifle and MG combo is, because that is all I can imagine this thing is for with a cartridge hotter than 7.62x51, what I don't understand is why they didn't adopt a more aggressive steel core penetrator for the 5.56x45, even if they had to redesign the gun around a hotter case? This stuff has been around from at least the 70s and it was proven to be effective as recently as the early 2000's, so why the shift? It really reeks of american cultural caliber war bullshit and fat headed generals bringing their machismo into the procurement process. I mean I'm willing to be proven wrong and this larger caliber is the only way to reliably defeat modern body armor at 500 meters or whatever but does any of that actually matter compared to suppressive fire and heavy weapons? It just seems really half baked to go back to battle rifles.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
someone should make an M4 but chambered in 30-06

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the average accuracy of infantry hitting their intended target that is shooting back at 300m is 0%

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GoLambo posted:

Maybe they should have done something about the weight of the fuckin gun then christ.

If the US Army is really so worried about defeating body armor with whatever their new infantry rifle and MG combo is, because that is all I can imagine this thing is for with a cartridge hotter than 7.62x51, what I don't understand is why they didn't adopt a more aggressive steel core penetrator for the 5.56x45, even if they had to redesign the gun around a hotter case? This stuff has been around from at least the 70s and it was proven to be effective as recently as the early 2000's, so why the shift? It really reeks of american cultural caliber war bullshit and fat headed generals bringing their machismo into the procurement process. I mean I'm willing to be proven wrong and this larger caliber is the only way to reliably defeat modern body armor at 500 meters or whatever but does any of that actually matter compared to suppressive fire and heavy weapons? It just seems really half baked to go back to battle rifles.

fancy new bullets mean someone gets to wet their beak

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They have tried different types of steel and carbide penetrator bullets on 5.56, but at the end of the day it's a pretty tiny bullet and loses energy quickly at range. The length of the bullet is also a limiter for penetration. Bigger bullets and the higher pressures mean the .277 has almost three times the muzzle energy.

The body armor missile gap seems like BS, I am not buying it. But this round will be way more effective at shooting things like improvised suicide bomber cars that are 500 meters away and closing. That seems like the main thing the XM5 was actually designed for.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Jun 8, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

so who is sending suicide bomber cars at yank troops rn? You're describing the use case for these weapons during the 2030s US balkanization wars right?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's hard to predict where we fight next, it will probably come down to which resource lobby group spends the most $$$ in congress? In any case yeah I still think it's more likely they are shooting at people living in poverty who build IEDs rather than shooting at professional troops with fancy body armor.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Or the Venuzuelan occupation

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

fancy new bullets mean someone gets to wet their beak

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The VA is going to be wetting some beaks aka doing facial reconstructive surgery when these bad boys start exploding. The US can't procure a boat that doesn't rust and they want us to believe their high powered round of the future isn't going to grenade these guns left right and center.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The VA is going to be wetting some beaks aka doing facial reconstructive surgery when these bad boys start exploding. The US can't procure a boat that doesn't rust and they want us to believe their high powered round of the future isn't going to grenade these guns left right and center.

you talk as if the VA (and cops) aren't already outspending the entire PLA

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i assume if a contractor is compensated in a fixed % per round, they will be incentivised to answer ridiculous procurement requirements with the most expensive solution

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea we can uh, 3d print um, a million of these things over the next two years, yea a million no problem, just pay us now

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

what was that cool silenced rifle from the stalker games? Just use them duh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why don't they just make silent bullets

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

why don't they just make silent bullets

They do, lol

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Does a suppressor even do anything if you're not using subsonic ammo? the muzzle velocity of the Spear is around Mach 3.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Retromancer posted:

Does a suppressor even do anything if you're not using subsonic ammo? the muzzle velocity of the Spear is around Mach 3.

yes it substantially lowers the decibel value of the report even if the bullet is supersonic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It also makes it harder to locate the weapon- the bullet doesn't sound in the same position as the gun

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1534770264164147202

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1534771534815952897

it turns out that war manufacturing is quite involved and requires a wide industrial base

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
its almost like liberals get surprised everytime when reality bites them in the rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

osprey down. 5 killed in southwest.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Unnecessarily complicated means you get to bill for more consultants. The waste is entirely the point.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

:d2a: one bird full of marines at a time o7

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1534770264164147202

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1534771534815952897

it turns out that war manufacturing is quite involved and requires a wide industrial base

the best thing about the 3d printing is its easy to do onshore manufacturing. build a factory floor, stock with 3d printers and technicians, and you have a domestic supply of manufactured suppressors.

i assume the printers are made in china lol

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

the best thing about the 3d printing is its easy to do onshore manufacturing. build a factory floor, stock with 3d printers and technicians, and you have a domestic supply of manufactured suppressors.

i assume the printers are made in china lol

3d printers don't work like that. Besides some fringe cases, raw parts from a 3d printers are still going to require a ton of machining and post processing in order to achieve any kind of tolerances that can be used.

anyone that wants to actually make money with 3d printing will be using a chinese 3d printers

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They really want to believe in the promise of 3D printing: the output of industrialization without any of the workers.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bar Crow posted:

They really want to believe in the promise of 3D printing: the output of industrialization without any of the workers.

It's just another machine tool.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1534792411179896834

just small botes atm but i wonder how far away from the coast these can be used

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

this is a lie I see two people on the deck of that boat

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1534792411179896834

what is this "unmanned" bullshit there are clearly people on that boat

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
mechanical turk rear end navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Rutibex posted:

this is a lie I see two people on the deck of that boat

Foo Diddley posted:

what is this "unmanned" bullshit there are clearly people on that boat

Those are women obviously.