Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Constitution has always set age limits for how old you had to be to hold office and said that this age is too young. I do not see why you could not set an age limit for being too old in the same respect.

Also, term limits should not be needed because elections are so regular but we have a population that likes “consistency” more than anything else.

It's because age is only a protected class for those over 40. Discrimination against anyone under 40 is cool and good according to US law, but putting any kind of limitations on those over 40 is monstrous and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Lager posted:

It's because age is only a protected class for those over 40. Discrimination against anyone under 40 is cool and good according to US law, but putting any kind of limitations on those over 40 is monstrous and evil.

WOO HOO! Today is my 43 birthday! *becomes drunk on power.*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Constitution has always set age limits for how old you had to be to hold office and said that this age is too young. I do not see why you could not set an age limit for being too old in the same respect.

Also, term limits should not be needed because elections are so regular but we have a population that likes “consistency” more than anything else.

The constitution gets away from it because it also gets to decide what laws do and do not count.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Illinois redux: privacy settlement #2.

http://www.googlebipasettlement.com

This time it's for Google photos instead of Facebook.

Looks like Illinois has done well in at least being willing to take on social media with privacy laws.

I wonder how many social media companies will get slammed and whether Illinois sets the tone.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 1, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here is more info about Illinois effecting biometric privacy concerns.

https://capitolfax.com/2022/05/31/on-at-least-one-issue-illinois-leads-the-rest-of-the-country/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like a good political move is to put in place strong privacy laws and then have your citizens get checks when these companies inevitably ignore them. Like everyone on both sides seems pretty stoked about getting a $400 check from Facebook.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It seems like such an easy win.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Still can’t believe we got that much money from FB. Every other massive class action suit is like $20. Hope google pays up the same. Glad to see something good from Illinois actually have a national reach.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Still can’t believe we got that much money from FB. Every other massive class action suit is like $20. Hope google pays up the same. Glad to see something good from Illinois actually have a national reach.

Looks like the Google suit is $100 mil, as opposed to the $650m Facebook payout. I dunno if it'll see more people sign up or less.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I spent about 10 minutes this afternoon trying to convince my mom to sign up. I don't think she's going to because "It just doesn't make any sense."

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What did she say about the Facebook money?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

With this google settlement, I am only expecting around $50 at most.

But I will say that that Facebook money was nice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

With this google settlement, I am only expecting around $50 at most.

But I will say that that Facebook money was nice.

Yeah my husband refused to sign up for it thinking it'd b e a few bucks at most, so when I got my check he was bummed.

Luckily I signed up for him and his came a few days later :D

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Oracle posted:

Yeah my husband refused to sign up for it thinking it'd b e a few bucks at most, so when I got my check he was bummed.

I had a lot of friends who didn't bother with it. I would've felt bad about it but I had told them that it looked like it'd be big and encouraged them to sign up. I couldn't do much more to push them.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh missed the Facebook one completely. At least all the money went out yeah? Assume it was a split between everyone who signed up or something.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ugh missed the Facebook one completely. At least all the money went out yeah? Assume it was a split between everyone who signed up or something.

Yep. That's how class actions typically work: the defendant agrees to a settlement and it's split across however many plaintiffs are in the class. Facebook paid the full $650 mill though I'd assume they'll get a tax break or some accounting voodoo for it.

It's partially why a lot of class action suits are for chump change: there are more class members than anticipated and it cuts down on the per-person payout.

Jows
May 8, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

What did she say about the Facebook money?

I don't think she ever signed up for it. She's got Boomer brain rot. Facebook is our friend and all that. It took her a good year after I ditched FB to fully grasp that no, I didn't see that post from my uncle about whatever.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

I could have sworn that I signed my wife up but she did not get anything and I cannot find the confirmation email in her inbox. I guess she just missed out on the ZuckBucks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I could have sworn that I signed my wife up but she did not get anything and I cannot find the confirmation email in her inbox. I guess she just missed out on the ZuckBucks.

I couldn't find my husband's either, check your email account maybe?

Who're we rooting for for sec of state now that 'served in that position longer than we've all been alive' Jesse White is retiring? The only name that looks familiar to me is Giannoulias and IIRC he was some banker failson...

Also what is a state central committee person and do I need to care?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much is the state going to have to spend to remove his name from all facilities and document templates?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

I couldn't find my husband's either, check your email account maybe?

Who're we rooting for for sec of state now that 'served in that position longer than we've all been alive' Jesse White is retiring? The only name that looks familiar to me is Giannoulias and IIRC he was some banker failson...

Also what is a state central committee person and do I need to care?

There’s Giannoulias who lost the Senate seat to Mark Kirk in 2010. He’s the rich failson of parents who owned a mobbed up bank that went under. There’s Anna Valencia, city clerk of Chicago. She wants to put our information on the blockchain (:wtf:) and her husband’s a lobbyist. They seem dirty as poo poo. And then there’s David Moore, an alderman with something like $36k in his campaign bank account.

I know the least about Moore, so I voted for him. :shrug:

Oh there’s some business owner out of Joliet who’s also on the ballot. I think his last name is also Moore.

As for state central committee, I’m pretty sure that’s a party thing, not government. Vote for who you want, but I’d advise voting for people who have won campaigns versus people who run quixotic loser campaigns in areas the other party dominates. Just my opinion.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
State Central Committee controls most of the IL Dems money. It was how Madigan wielded his power so it's more important than it sounds.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

There’s Giannoulias who lost the Senate seat to Mark Kirk in 2010. He’s the rich failson of parents who owned a mobbed up bank that went under. There’s Anna Valencia, city clerk of Chicago. She wants to put our information on the blockchain (:wtf:) and her husband’s a lobbyist. They seem dirty as poo poo. And then there’s David Moore, an alderman with something like $36k in his campaign bank account.

I know the least about Moore, so I voted for him. :shrug:

Oh there’s some business owner out of Joliet who’s also on the ballot. I think his last name is also Moore.

As for state central committee, I’m pretty sure that’s a party thing, not government. Vote for who you want, but I’d advise voting for people who have won campaigns versus people who run quixotic loser campaigns in areas the other party dominates. Just my opinion.

The blockchain? THE loving BLOCKCHAIN!?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

The blockchain? THE loving BLOCKCHAIN!?

Straight from her own website:

quote:

Implementing Blockchain Solutions to Protect Our Data

Data breaches are eroding trust in government. Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm with countless data breaches over the past decade. Blockchain has many benefits that allow for safer and faster transactions, encryption that makes it extremely difficult for hackers to corrupt, and allows for the tracking of real-time records which limits fraud. Anna will implement these new technologies to ensure our data is safe and secure.

Like, isn’t the point of the blockchain that everything’s just… out there for everyone else to see? I’m assuming she just doesn’t know what it actually means.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Like, isn’t the point of the blockchain that everything’s just… out there for everyone else to see? I’m assuming she just doesn’t know what it actually means.

This is such an incredibly dumb idea.

Yes, a blockchain works by making all transactions upon it public at all times, and then uses those transactions to encode the next block. It's self-described use case is trust in a trustless world. IE, you and I making a purchase without having to trust a company like visa to provide you funds when I swipe my credit card.
A government, of course. IS A TRUSTED SOURCE.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus, ok. So its Battle of the Moores. Quick, to the google-mobile!

Sidney Moore's (the 'Joliet businessman') website is giving me:
509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

LOL, if you can't even make your campaign website work you are NOT being trusted to run the sec of state's office, I don't care if you're Jesus. Next.

David H. Moore
At least his website works and looks slick.
"Alderman Moore spent his childhood in the Robert Taylor Homes, before moving to the Englewood and Auburn-Gresham communities. Upon completing Simeon Vocational High School, he graduated from Western Illinois University with a dual major in accounting and operations management. He earned an MA with emphasis in government studies at Loyola University-Chicago.

Moore established a successful accounting career in the private sector at several Fortune 500 companies, as well as with Chicago’s Department of Aviation, Chicago Housing Authority and he served as an assistant to the commissioner of the Cook County Board of Review, coordinating the Faith-based and Community Initiatives."

I like his endorsements, I like his policies, now for the true test of any IL pol:
google "David Moore" indictments alderman

He got punched by a prostitute in 2015 after breaking up a wild party in his district. That's some hands-on aldermanning...

In May...

quote:

"The Chicago Board of Ethics warned Ald. David Moore (17th Ward) not to not use his aldermanic Facebook page to promote his campaign for secretary of state.

Ethics Board Deputy Director Lisa Eilers warned Moore that if he did not separate his activity on social media as alderman of the West Side ward from his political efforts to win statewide office by the end of the day on Monday, he could face “enforcement and fines.”

“This mixing is not permitted under the Governmental Ethics Ordinance,” Eilers wrote. “Our board’s opinion states that political/campaign content cannot be posted to an official city social media account, in this case, an official ward Facebook page.”

“I make it a point to abide by the rules … I hope we can all work together to ensure that everybody follow the rules,” wrote Moore, 55, who is in his second term as alderman.

In addition, Moore suggested to Eilers that the board had singled him out, noting that other Chicago elected officials use their official titles on non-official Facebook pages.

“Over the last year, I saw this being ignored many times,” Moore wrote. “It is my hope that I will not be the only one held to this standard and held accountable.”

Without Moore’s decision to publish the warning from the Ethics Board, it may never have become public, since ethics officials are prohibited by city ordinance from revealing ongoing probes or consultations.

Amusing anecdote:

quote:

Committee chair Far South Side alderman Howard Brookins Jr. then invited assistant CDOT commissioner Tom Carney to present a “substitute ordinance” that Carney said would better clarify that only the outer lanes of Lake Shore Drive would be impacted by the name change, so that most addresses would be unaffected.

Moore responded by angrily calling CDOT substitute ordinance, presented just before the scheduled committee vote on Moore’s legislation, a “last day game plan,” and “some racist b——-.” A few more aldermen chimed in arguing that the department’s ordinance seemed reasonable.

“That’s f—in’ b——!” Moore eventually shouted. Other aldermen condemned him for his language and called for a recess. Someone ironically played “Kumbaya” on their phone."

He's pissed off Lightfoot with his renaming of LSD for du Sable (just the outer bits, the inner ones would remain Lake Shore Drive in order to not upset the bougie address-havers) .

The shadiest thing I can find him doing is showing support for indicted Alderman Carrie Austin (she's pleaded not guilty and retired).

So yeah, given the competition I'm thinking David H. Moore is the way to go.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 9, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

State Central Committee controls most of the IL Dems money. It was how Madigan wielded his power so it's more important than it sounds.

Yeah its a sinecure for big donors/volunteers/connected party apparatchiks. They better start coughing up some drat dough for locals like they say they want to.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

(David Moore stuff)

:sigh:

Godammit, why is every candidate for this so drat whack?!

It’s not like Republicans are running candidates for Sec of State positions across America whose goals are to destroy voting…. OH SHI-

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:sigh:

Godammit, why is every candidate for this so drat whack?!

It’s not like Republicans are running candidates for Sec of State positions across America whose goals are to destroy voting…. OH SHI-

Dude, comparatively, that guy's a loving choir boy in Illinois politics.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

Dude, comparatively, that guy's a loving choir boy in Illinois politics.

I already voted for him and mailed in my ballot, so... :shrug:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So is there like a goon endorsement list?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lammasu posted:

I generally go with Girl I Guess https://docs.google.com/document/d/11diBlRiahHsCkHHpV1lt2fHHxgRwQpz-G0t9iGeBCtI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kina Collins, a 31 yr old endorsed by the Justice Dems, is running for Danny Davis' congressional seat representing the west side of Chicago.

Davis is old-school IL pol, and has held the seat for a quarter century. He's also 80 years old.

I'm sure Pelosi et al. will ensure that Collins loses, but she's fundraising at an impressive clip, and facing fewer challengers than she did the last time she challenged Davis:

quote:

In the last fundraising quarter, Collins outraised Davis — $127,570 to $66,840 — though Davis still maintained a cash-on-hand advantage of $543,981 to Collins’ $125,217.

Also, lol at the Davis quotes about him passing out walking-around money from his local "campaign fund":

quote:

Most notably, Davis not only collects contributions for his federal campaign fund to spend on reelection to Congress, he also still collects — and spends money out of — a local campaign fund even though he hasn’t run for a local office since he unsuccessfully ran for Chicago mayor in 2011.

Rules governing local campaign funds are much looser than those for federal campaign funds, including allowing corporations to contribute. Federal and state campaign records show Davis pays campaign workers from both accounts, raising questions about whether he has used his local campaign fund to augment his federal reelection bids.

But Davis said that in addition to his work as a congressman, he’s also an elected member of the Democratic State Central Committee, which governs the state party, and money from the local funds can be used to pay for state central committee work. He said he doesn’t use one fund to augment the other but often gives people jobs and work to help them financially when they’re facing tough times.

“I use them to kind of help people and if that adds to their feeling about me, I guess it probably should, some of them it don’t,” Davis said. “I’ll give them $50, $60 and they walk out the door and call me a m-----------. ‘Ain’t nothing I can do with no $50.’ But they never give it back.”

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

xzzy posted:

How much is the state going to have to spend to remove his name from all facilities and document templates?

They'll have to consult with Chicago about the cost of replacing Daley's name on everything.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lammasu posted:

We can probably make one, though local races will have to be spoken for (like aforementioned state central committeefolks, assuming there's any competition. The 13th's female spot for instance has LaToya Greenwood vs. Pam Monetti. I went with Pam because unions and claiming she wants to make more money available for local races).

I'm going to skip all the non-contested races since its the primary, and also assume everyone here is voting Dem because lol gently caress you do your own homework if you're voting Republican, they're all loving loons anyway.

Nice voter guide here when you can hear the candidates in their own words from NPR.

Governor:
Pritzker was a no-brainer for me, regardless of your opinions on his job performance (which I've personally been pleasantly surprised by from when I voted for him) because its gonna take a billionaire to beat a billionaire and the alternate candidate is a private sector loving business-friendly nurse.

Secretary of State:
David H. Moore. Not even close the rest are jokes or corrupt.

Contested Congressional Races:
1st District:
Bobby Rush's old district. He's retired, so its pretty competitive and wide open (17 candidates!). Whoever wins the primary wins the general.

Rush has given his endorsement in the crowded field, giving his thumbs-up to Karin Norington-Reaves.

I'll let someone from Chicago take this one, I am not going through the pros and cons of SEVENTEEN freaking candidates.

3rd: no incumbent (see below) due to redistricting. Four Dems running:
State Rep. Delia Ramirez has won support from New Mexico Congresswoman Teresa Leger Fernandez and the Mijente PAC, which supports Latinx candidates. Chuy Garcia also backs her. Very pro-choice (co-sponsored the bill that passed after news of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade leaked). Ramirez, the daughter of Guatemalan immigrants, is a progressive whose endorsement from García reflects her connection to the Southwest Side, an area known for its Mexican community, where progressive ideals and the fight for immigrant rights are at the forefront.

Alderman Gilbert Villegas (Puerto Rican) secured endorsements from Congressman Brad Schneider, Cook County Commissioner Bridget Gainer and Firefighters Local 2 , which represents some 5,000 Chicago firefighters and paramedics. Was picked by Lightfoot to be her rep on the city council floor, resigned halfway through. Moderate wing. Shady ComEd ties via his lobbying firm and contractor Industrial Fence and will probably get caught up in that whole investigation.

Iymen Chehade (artist and college professor)
Juan Aguirre (registered nurse)

6th District:
Sean Casten (Incumbent) - beat Peter Roskam and Jeanne Ives. Huge rap fan. Pretty fly for a white guy. Big on climate change (his dad owned a renewable energy company). Was a Republican as a kid because Tipper Gore pissed him off with her warning labels on music. Very science-oriented. Cons: thinks New York pizza is superior to Chicago pizza, and isn't afraid to say so out loud.
Charles Hughes: nobody. Also ran in 2020 in the 3rd.
Marie Newman (Incumbent) - she's the one who knocked off Dan Lipinski and pissed off the state Dem establishment who drew her into Casten's district. Most known for putting a trans flag outside her office (she has a trans daughter) which is across the hall from Marjorie Taylor Greene's. and allegedly offering a political rival a job if he agreed to run against her, in writing, then reneged leading him to sue her *facepalm*.

While I like Newman that own goal tilts me in Casten's direction on this one.

IL-7
Danny K. Davis, Incumbent - been in this seat forever (over 25 years) surprisingly progressive record. Probable winner.
Denarvis Mendenhall - lifelong West Side resident who served in the military before returning home to work as an investigator for the Food and Drug Administration
Kina Collins - also West Side. Austin. Anti-gun violence advocate/organizer. Backed by Justice Dems. (see Willa's post, above).

IL-13 - no incumbent
Nikki Budzinski - establishment's pick. Strong union background. Quit as Biden's Chief of Staff at OMB to run here. Former senior advisor to Pritzker (she lived in Chicago and DC for the past five years got her voter registration suspended when her ballot was returned as undeliverable in Springfield. She's since bought a house there.) Self-proclaimed moderate, bipartisan, reach across the aisle etc. Wine moms love her.

David Palmer - Black 6'9" former Iowa Hawkeyes player and current financial advisor who lives in Champaign and has for the last 20 years. Political neophyte. Big on crime (former Boys and Girls Club Director, worked with a lot of the kids in the middle of gun violence today)

I lean towards Palmer but we all know Nikki's gonna win.

IL-17
6 candidates running here. Cheri Bustos' old district. I'll let someone else handle this as well.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 10, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Newman is also better than Casten on Israel which is why she has my vote.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They only want to put your social security number, address and birthdate on the blockchain. What's the worst that could happen?

- probably a quote from these shitters already

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Casten is a pretty generic replacement level dem.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Newman is also better than Casten on Israel which is why she has my vote.

The guy she promised a job to so he wouldn’t run against her then reneged was Palestinian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

The guy she promised a job to so he wouldn’t run against her then reneged was Palestinian.

:laffo:

Seriously, I like Newman, I never lived in her district, but I kicked some money to her primary campaign in 2020, but what she did was so cringe and haphazard, it’s hard to feel that upset about the Dems loving her over.