Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I was planning on removing the OE lines so we shouldn't be too close to the exhaust. I'll look into those options, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

I use the cheap Evil Energy brand Amazon sells. Yes yes yes it is cheap knockoff stuff but I have used it for trans fluid, oil and fuel on multiple projects and it has only had issues when I was learning how to do it or like the fuel lines on the C10 I gently caress up.

Don’t bother with the cutters that are sold just use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel then a grinding wheel and out the hose in a vise with electrical tape around the end to stop it fraying. Then use one engine oil or trans fluid on the threads of the connection to help lube the hose so it slips into the connector all the way to the stop before screwing the other half in. Also make sure you use the right stuff for the application as in nylon braided hose isn’t for fuel and you will want the tool to open the front of it up before pushing the compression side of the connector in.

You've convinced me. I had 3 of the 10AN Aeroquip fittings I needed so I ordered the final one and some Aeroquip line today. I'll start with oil, I don't trust myself to remake the two fuel lines in 6AN yet. :v:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Attempted to pressure test the injector cups and discovered that my heater core return hose has a tiny little leak from the crimp at 15 psi.

Released the tester a little fast and also discovered that the residual gallon or so of coolant that doesn't come out with the block plugs is still enough to make a mess. I guess I should have seen that coming but it was a long day.

Didn't see any bubbles in the silicone spray I put on the cups or hear anything with a stethoscope. I guess the fact that there was enough residual coolant in the heater core to make a microscopic red dribble probably means there would have been enough to leak out of the cups, too.

Still could have sealant failure after a couple heat cycles but there's only one way to find out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

You've convinced me. I had 3 of the 10AN Aeroquip fittings I needed so I ordered the final one and some Aeroquip line today. I'll start with oil, I don't trust myself to remake the two fuel lines in 6AN yet. :v:

I'm using Fragola push-lock for fuel on both the C10 and TJ and honestly I'll never go back. The process for AN is different, but the end result is so much better.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm using Fragola push-lock for fuel on both the C10 and TJ and honestly I'll never go back. The process for AN is different, but the end result is so much better.

Word of warning, above 90psi you can blow the push locks off in a hot engine bay. We ended up having to go back and SS wire wrap them. This happened when using the vice method and the Koul tools fixture.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Fixed the high setting on my van's blower fan, a big need before a road trip. Also got my rear door to stop opening too wide.
That feeling when you hit the switch for high and it works... ah. This is why I love cars sometimes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

Word of warning, above 90psi you can blow the push locks off in a hot engine bay. We ended up having to go back and SS wire wrap them. This happened when using the vice method and the Koul tools fixture.

Fair enough. The TJ's regulated to ~49 PSI if I remember correctly, and the C10 is at 58, though I suppose hot fuel immediately post-shutdown might allow that to creep a little?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I'm avoiding pushlocks for that reason. I used them on my catch can lines and they were great but looking at the logs I see oil pressures over 110psi and fuel pressure is 60psi.

I'd rather not have a fire incident. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd rather not have a fire incident. :)

Have you considered installing a fire system? Not sure if the group you race with requires it but it's reasonably cheap insurance. Put a couple nozzles in the engine bay, one at you and one at the fuel system.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Reverted the engine bay of the GTV back to factory look. Previous owner had been in there with a rattle can. Apparently the Ferrari badges on the fenders didn't cut it for him.

Stripped the red paint off the aluminum cover for the front bank:

Finished product:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the S2000 inspected and also gave it a real bath for the first time in probably a year. $20 Walmart.com foam cannon seems to be working pretty OK.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have you considered installing a fire system? Not sure if the group you race with requires it but it's reasonably cheap insurance. Put a couple nozzles in the engine bay, one at you and one at the fuel system.

I have an AFFF Novec 1230 Lifeline system in the car now. Three nozzles in the engine bay, one nozzle on the surge tank setup in the trunk, and another two nozzles on driver/passenger.

Hoping I don't have the privilege of using it :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 8, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Update from transmission shop. Trans is fine but the starter is too long and hitting the flexplate when it flexes under load. They are going to replace the starter as they won't mess with mine and get it spaced correctly and swap the water pump which is weeping. They are doing me a solid since it wasn't cheap for the new trans and one of the guys wanted a the serpentine setup from the engine I wasn't going to be using. Will get it back tomorrow and they are confident it is cobbled together crap but it is derivable.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I ordered all my AN fittings from racetronix. I did the external pump on my corvette in AN, and it was easy. I prefer the efi fittings that screw together, so you don't have to worry about them coming off. I got 8 AN PTFE, and it was pretty easy. My cousin has his turbocharged 6.0L done in 10AN. It's easy and the PTFE holds up well to fuel.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 8, 2022

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tuner is finally done with the car. Going to pick it up Monday because I work weekends. Did pretty much what I'd hoped. 600 rwhp on 93, 660 on e85.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 9, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That looks healthy :eyepop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Healthy" isn't the term I'd use. "Turn your eyebulbs and internal organs into mush the moment you stomp the throttle" sounds a bit more accurate.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Assuming the tires don't instantly turn into puffs of smoke, that is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

Tuner is finally done with the car. Going to pick it up Monday because I work weekends. Did pretty much what I'd hoped. 600 rwhp on 93, 660 on e85.

Your name is in this pic if it matters to you

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mustang guy typically but couldn’t help myself after a drive

Unsure where to post and god knows I’m dying to so I’ll do it here. Upgraded to mid engine

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's a mid engine car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Your name is in this pic if it matters to you

Way to dox STD Smoother

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Touche

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mustang guy typically but couldn’t help myself after a drive

Unsure where to post and god knows I’m dying to so I’ll do it here. Upgraded to mid engine

I am so jealous.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Assuming the tires don't instantly turn into puffs of smoke, that is.

I bought Toyo R888Rs, so we'll see how it goes. Prior to tuning, it did manage to keep me from spinning at about 55mph when I shifted hard. I'm hoping they do well. It's either that or running my drag radials on the street.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Also holy poo poo the number of people who think they can trick you into installing one on a manual. I worked in a shop that did NOT do stereo etc work. We would and could but it was more a custom fab and performance place. Every loving winter.

Rinnnng ring
Hello?
Hey yeah my buddy said you can install remote starters?
Not on a manual.
(Suprised) what uh why does that matter?
You'll sue me when your car drives over some kid
I wouldn't sue you! I know the risk I'm taking.
You will after your lawyer asks if you want to be liable for running over some kid vs me.
Come on wtf man
Everyone else told you no too for a reason.
gently caress you *click*

My wife's manual 2016 mazda 3 has a remote starter. The procedure for enabling it is that you have to enable it at the end of your drive, and it's ready to go for the next time you use it. Procedure is car in neutral, foot on brake, pump parking brake 3 times and the indicators flash, leave parking brake on and exit the vehicle. The remote starter turns off the car, and you're good to go. Can't enable it with the clutch in, so you can't leave it in gear. If you open the door without remotely starting it, the remote start is disabled.

So, it's definitely possible on manuals.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
So today I installed a new bigger radiator with big fan and wired it with a relay to my ignition on and 14v alternator source. It never went above a quarter temp even after an hour of driving hard in florida.

Before that I think sun and mon I went through like 4 used fuel pumps before finally getting a walboro 255 and wired that in to a 14v as well.

Running super rich even at full boost.

Still need to wire the head lights and tail lights tomorrow and will tidy up everything with zip ties. Got an antique plate for my hatch as well now, 30 years! Things are looking good.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TrueChaos posted:

My wife's manual 2016 mazda 3 has a remote starter. The procedure for enabling it is that you have to enable it at the end of your drive, and it's ready to go for the next time you use it. Procedure is car in neutral, foot on brake, pump parking brake 3 times and the indicators flash, leave parking brake on and exit the vehicle. The remote starter turns off the car, and you're good to go. Can't enable it with the clutch in, so you can't leave it in gear. If you open the door without remotely starting it, the remote start is disabled.

So, it's definitely possible on manuals.

That's actually brilliant. I got out of cars for a living 10 years ago so my experience is out of date.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

So this week has been fun. Trying to thrash to get the C10 ready to leave Saturday and drop it into the place that worked on the transmission to check on some noises and adjust the kick down etc…

Turns out the noise was the starter being hit by the flex plate when it flexed. It didn’t do that when I had the engine out of the truck and was running it on a test stand so only happened when it was bolted up. Ok so the starter is adjustable so we can sort that out easy. Oh the water pump is weeping so ok fine lets swap that out when you have it there. Go to start it up today and the neutral safety switch falls apart. Ok fine replace that I am at work don’t have time to do it myself.

Call me today after it had been there for 4 days that the EFI wasn’t working and pissing gas everywhere. They pull the plugs to let it evaporate away but the oil is full of gas as well so it needs an oil change. I just tell them to have it towed back to my place while I cancel my hotels and all that because I won’t be taking my trip.

It gets towed back to my place and I plug in something they had unplugged and forgotten about and the EFI boots up fine. Couldn’t start it due to the gas in the oil but it doesn’t matter now as it doesn’t need to go anywhere soon. Still taking a week off and will probably work on it and go take a few days to take the Porsche to stuff I want to see in AZ.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
At least it was just a dangling plug and not a bricked ECU. Sucks that the shop that you apparently trusted is staffed by buffoons, but I don't think missing the Power Tour is necessarily a bad thing. Like kastein said in the other thread, this'll give you some time to actually see what shakes loose when you have an opportunity to go through it and not just seeing what rattles off on a 4000 mile (or whatever) cruise.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Programmed a longer range, smaller, and not busted remote start fob.

My old one was too big, had 3/4 redundant buttons (my stock key does everything), and went dead from too many swims.

I held out getting a new one thinking it was gonna be a trip to the installer to program -- NOPE! On my base spec one way system the process is literally 3 steps on a card with no codes needed

• turn key on
  • press and hold button on car receiver (or x 2 and hold to clear old)
  • push and hold your remote start

Stupid simple.

Last summer sucked without remote start in the desert, and we already had a couple 100+ F days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

honda whisperer posted:

That's actually brilliant. I got out of cars for a living 10 years ago so my experience is out of date.

They were doing that when I was doing mobile electronics 25 years ago... Jesus Christ, it's been 25 years?
It just wasn't common. I knew of only one or two manufacturers that would do it. The disadvantage, and TrueChaos mentioned it, is that you disable remote start if you open the car up to get something out, for example. You'd have to reset it afterward by going through all the shutdown steps.
I wanted to build a shifter position switch that could tell if the shifter was in neutral (for a car that didn't have a neutral switch already) but never got around to it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

It gets towed back to my place and I plug in something they had unplugged and forgotten about and the EFI boots up fine. Couldn’t start it due to the gas in the oil but it doesn’t matter now as it doesn’t need to go anywhere soon. Still taking a week off and will probably work on it and go take a few days to take the Porsche to stuff I want to see in AZ.
That's some fuckin bullshit, I hope your alternate plan works out nicely. :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks, thus far it has been make all my AC hoses that I was due to do earlier in the week but the idiots sat on the thing for days before loving it up. New plugs will be here today and I will change the oil tomorrow and get it up and running.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

That's some fuckin bullshit, I hope your alternate plan works out nicely. :)

^^ This. That's a really loving weird failure mode too, one that could have ended so much worse (if, say, whatever was disconnected happened to fail at highway speeds and caused it to chuck a rod). What was left disconnected?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

In-line fuse for a relay that switches the ecu on. So you can power the fuel pump and if the ecu is not working it just dumps gas into the throttle body which yeah isn’t great.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Rode over to the Ford dealer this morning and picked up my heater hoses. I made a joke about the never ending project and the parts counter guy asked me if I was working on a 6.0.

Hoses on, replaced degas bottle, passed pressure test. Blew out fuel and oil rails, injectors installed. Still gotta put on the new hpop hoses, lines to fuel rails, turbo, load single shot tunes to hydra, etc but the part that was really killing my back is over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I haven't done gently caress all to my car today but yesterday:
- swapped power steering pump to a brand new remanufactured one. I didn't really want to spend the money but I couldn't find a cheap core or good used unit locally and need it to hold together no matter what for a while.
- did the front brakes as well. The pedal has gotten spongy over the years and I knew the right rotor was hosed from rust buildup on the inboard face. The driver side rotor is seized onto the unit bearing so I just pad slapped that side for now and will be replacing the bearing and rotor soon I guess.
- oil change, since it was both low and due.
- totally disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt the original power steering pump. It was 15 dollars in parts and I'd never done it before, figured it will make a good roadside spare.

BigPaddy posted:

In-line fuse for a relay that switches the ecu on. So you can power the fuel pump and if the ecu is not working it just dumps gas into the throttle body which yeah isn’t great.

It's really weird that they don't have the fuel pump commanded by the ECU, and that the default position on the injectors is open. I'm used to fuel pumps being controlled by the ECU and the injectors being normally closed.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 12, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

It's really weird that they don't have the fuel pump commanded by the ECU, and that the default position on the injectors is open. I'm used to fuel pumps being controlled by the ECU and the injectors being normally closed.

Okay, so it's not just me who was super confused by this. And you actually know what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Other thing to keep in mind is that as I found out today they were unplugging and messing with the wiring to the point the wire to trigger the ECU and the coil no longer had the correct voltage on it. Reading posts on the Holley forum there appears to be lots of weird things they happen due to low voltage. Tomorrow I am aiming to separate the ignition and ecu wiring entirely as it is only together since the PO had messed with adding another wire to the ignition coil wire to run the crappy electric pump and trying to get the thing running I reused it.

Putting in a fuse block under the hood to be able to fuse the ECU 12v trigger, alternator exciter wire and leave room for anything else that needs an ignition trigger in the future. This whole thing is a perfect example of how electricity betrays you when you are not looking.

Also my understanding of what happened only comes from the mechanic working on it and let’s be honest they could have hosed something else up while messing with it that made the gas go everywhere and not telling me the whole story.

Edit: here is a thread with someone having the same injectors staying open issue https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?22640-Searching-For-ECU clearly there is a not uncommon electrical failure state that causes this they isn’t great.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 12, 2022