Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, the idea of two road types is really cool for those distinctions. I just want to nitpick because, at least where I grew up, concrete was the more expensive to lay but far more durable option, laid down during the postwar boom and still extant with a few asphalt patches on certain major roads when I was learning to drive, while asphalt has been the quick-and-easy patch or connector that's eventually subsumed everything in an orgy of short-termist "when we knock out the road for an entire season in five years to repave, it'll be the next mayor's fault!"

Ask me about 20km at 130kph on striated asphalt every 2 weeks to go shop because our local arterial's been pulled up and they could get the mechanism to mill it down in early April but it's June and still no sign of actual pavers. I'll describe it once I find the rest of my teeth. :skeltal:

Interesting point with concrete tramways, though--since they're tram-only no autos, wouldn't putting one in the middle of a road, like say if you had a platform in the center of town and had 10-20m of concrete tramway in front of it, automatically forbid ALL through traffic? I don't believe we had any option to do that yet, only discourage it by type, weight, or max speed. Yet you'd visually, and for sidewalk purposes, keep the street continuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I would assume that it might also be using prefab panels instead of full-on concrete, and would thus allow you to build tier 3 roads (tier 2.5?) without specialized equipment like pavers and rollers (open hull + crane might be enough)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or even just using mixers, not having to use special equipment would be quit helpful.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Welp, I just learned I should deliver coal directly to the plant because dumpers are slow enough in the winter that it can't keep the heating plant up and running. Time to replace all my dead people 😂

Is it worth putting an aggregate loading or unloading station on a single aggregate storage?

For example, should I have an aggregate unloader to a small aggregate storage hooked to my heating plant. Or just storage connected to plant?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Agreggate unloaders for trucks aren’t strictly necessary. They aid in unloading speed but that’s pretty rapid for trucks. My heating plants, I tend to connect one just because I like having dedicated “parking spots” for dump trucks with coal, leaving the vehicle spots on the heating plant for buses to arrive.

I don’t tend to have an ag storage connected to the plant anymore, I just try to design my supply chain such that the buffer offered by the parked dumpers is plenty before they have to run off anywhere to get more coal. Whether or not you want a storage connected right to the plant just depends on your system.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Agreggate unloaders for trucks aren’t strictly necessary. They aid in unloading speed but that’s pretty rapid for trucks. My heating plants, I tend to connect one just because I like having dedicated “parking spots” for dump trucks with coal, leaving the vehicle spots on the heating plant for buses to arrive.

I don’t tend to have an ag storage connected to the plant anymore, I just try to design my supply chain such that the buffer offered by the parked dumpers is plenty before they have to run off anywhere to get more coal. Whether or not you want a storage connected right to the plant just depends on your system.

Right now I just have the heating plant supplied by my distribution office, but maybe I'll set up a dedicated dump truck for it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

...leaving the vehicle spots on the heating plant for buses to arrive.

wait what. you can designate buildings as stops???

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Demon_Corsair posted:

Right now I just have the heating plant supplied by my distribution office, but maybe I'll set up a dedicated dump truck for it

This is what I do. For just starting out, I'll have one/two dumpers assigned to the plant, set to fully empty. The trucks themselves act as a coal buffer. If you're using a distribution office, or you'll need to use more coal per month than the trucks can handle, I would suggest that you add aggregate storage to be the buffer since you are not using trucks as one.

punishedkissinger posted:

wait what. you can designate buildings as stops???

Yes! This is how your did vehicles before distribution offices.

Bear in mind that if you set the vehicle stop as "wait for empty / full" you may cause deadlock as one vehicle waits for the output that can't be provided before the next vehicle drops people / product off.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i've been building a LOT of unneccessary bust stops god drat it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Just try thinking about baseball

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Another tip- any type of passenger station can act as a stop, both for pickup and drop off, for road vehicles. So, say you have a train station in the center of town that you use to get your workers out to your factories. You can set busses to pick up passengers from the train station, or set it as a source of passengers for your construction offices.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

My suggestion would be to put a small aggregate storage directly next to the plant and connect it via conveyor. That will allow you to stockpile a lot more coal that the plant can use directly (it will need a little bit of electricity to do this) and you can drip feed it over the summer when it's not using much. You don't need loaders or unloaders for this, generally I only use loaders anyway as ASA said, trucks unload aggregate fairly quickly, but loading, especially for gravel construction material, can take some time and is greatly accelerated by the use of a loader.

Infrastructure resiliance is a big part of the game, storage generally can help to overcome a lot of issues and you will likely find it useful to spend time just making storage solutions and vehicles to shuttle things around between storages, because having what you need where you need it is generally very helpful.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 6, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Again, not necessarily. Buses that stop at an industry will only let off at that industry, and the bus and industrial vehicle slots are shared. As such, it's frequently a good idea to run a bus line to a stop instead of to a building directly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The world war might be over, but the real war (building that city in the background) is about to start.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone have a good guide on how to build a rail network?

It doesn't have to be w&r specific, just general stuff like how to organize a rail network, how to merge in and off the main line etc etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have a good guide on how to build a rail network?

It doesn't have to be w&r specific, just general stuff like how to organize a rail network, how to merge in and off the main line etc etc.

There's an absolute wealth of information for rail for OpenTTD, which is applicable to W&R for the most part, including the signaling fortunately.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I just wish you could signal snapped rails properly/easily.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Firos posted:

I just wish you could signal snapped rails properly/easily.

There’s a tool for parallel lines I thought?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Under Mixed signals, there's a Double Semaphore option.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Under Mixed signals, there's a Double Semaphore option.

Lol, lmao.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Reinstalled after a long time and lost my old meticulously industrialized save. I was playing on Rossokhov & Volomas, and while there's more than enough space on that map to start somewhere entirely different, I was wondering if there were any more recent maps which are the same nice mix of visual realism and compressed scale/varied terrain?

Also, definitely not a fan of workshop items no longer being integrated into the category UIs. Very easy to forget entirely that I even have, say, a smaller hospital.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

Reinstalled after a long time and lost my old meticulously industrialized save. I was playing on Rossokhov & Volomas, and while there's more than enough space on that map to start somewhere entirely different, I was wondering if there were any more recent maps which are the same nice mix of visual realism and compressed scale/varied terrain?

Also, definitely not a fan of workshop items no longer being integrated into the category UIs. Very easy to forget entirely that I even have, say, a smaller hospital.

I’ve enjoyed playing on the island map Kaugsaare quite a bit. It’s mostly flat, but there’s some gentle rolling hills and a good coastline you can follow.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a way to see what buildings require electricity? And what the penalty is for buildings not being connected.

The big two I'm wondering about right now are construction offices and gravel quarries. Construction offices seem to work just fine without power but is there something I'm missing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure for things like that, also things like technical services, I just slap a little wind turbine near remote buildings like that just in case.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The excavator vehicles require fuel, if you supply power & fuel to the building, the excavators will restock at the quarry thus won't need to go to a refueling station

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Somewhat related question - was there ever any mention of why Distribution Offices are limited to serving only 20 buildings? I usually end up with 2 or 3 DO's dedicated to fuel which just seems silly.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to see what buildings require electricity? And what the penalty is for buildings not being connected.

The big two I'm wondering about right now are construction offices and gravel quarries. Construction offices seem to work just fine without power but is there something I'm missing?

The simplest way is just to hover like you're going to place it downtown; overlays on the map would be real nice, my hex-gridding is basically an effort to make my own overlays from roads, but the hover will give you your yellow/red/blue/brown lines for power/heat/water/sewage, linked approximately to the point on the building they officially terminate at, and then you just have to make sure that where you actually plop also has all the same lines.
Or if you've got a built example already and just don't remember, you can check for voltage/steam tank/pressure/cleanout meters, or the menu bar of the building for the "hover to display connection" options.

My guess is that the nonobvious power takers like COs/rail COs/etc have different rates of unloading/loading fuel or materials based on whether they can power a pump/conveyor, but I'm not entirely sure and it's not entirely easy to see with how fast those operations complete anyway.
Meanwhile, no water for 8 hours at a worksite just doesn't perceptibly damage health, and no heat for 8 hours at an individual worksite does but not badly enough for a clinic not to be able to catch up given that there aren't fixed jobs so you're getting different agents each day.

Wandering Orange posted:

Somewhat related question - was there ever any mention of why Distribution Offices are limited to serving only 20 buildings? I usually end up with 2 or 3 DO's dedicated to fuel which just seems silly.

It's probably just to encourage building more than one. Though 2-3 just for fuel sounds really high; remember, it just means that they act as gas stations for their assigned mechanisms, so most DOs (which by definition are ordering around decently speedy road vehicles) and COs (aside from those with mechanisms or heavy dumpers, or those as the first building in a new remote settlement) don't hugely benefit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wandering Orange posted:

Gonna go with game balance reasons over technical ones for this. You're abstracting goods into several rather than hundreds/thousands of categories, just assume that the logistical limitations make sense as "I guess have every shop mail you every week with an update on exactly what their inventory is, and your clerks having to update actual paper spreadsheets, and maybe someone will call if they're running low on 12cm steel U-bends or whatever.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Just noticed a neat detail: When buildings are burning, the firetrucks actually target the fire and not just randomly shoot water.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What the gently caress, the default small bus platforms aren't drive through? There is a road on either side of if, but each road end terminates.

Took me forever to figure out why no one used the nice gravel road.

So I guess is there ever a reason to use a small bus platform over a bus stop? They have identical stats, but one won't gently caress up all your traffic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to put a bus stop at the end, or on the side of a road you would use a platform.

Different platforms can also hold different numbers of passengers but I can't remember if there is a difference between the small platform and the stop.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s a lot of good mods for stations - some of which are arguably “unbalanced” for the amount of people they can serve, but they often fit much more nicely within your cities aesthetically.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What's the best way to manage long range bus routes in the early game? I was having a problem where buses were consistantly running out of gas and just driving through the bus stop to get gas. So I added a bus depot to gas them up before doing the long drive, but now it's horribly backed up.

Should I just accept that I need to build a city by my mining area?

Maybe I just need to restart again and not make my starter town so big and spread out more.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If I have distant things like a mining outpost I give them a gas station too.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

This is also a good use case for trains.

I mean, I say that about everything, but a distant, permanent job site requiring lots of labor (like a mine) is an ideal destination for a passenger line.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Log082 posted:

This is also a good use case for trains.

I mean, I say that about everything, but a distant, permanent job site requiring lots of labor (like a mine) is an ideal destination for a passenger line.

I was trying to spin up at least a little domestic steel before going hard into trains.

I guess I could run a little line and work it in later to a proper network.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Networks are great, but shuttles aren't half bad either. Especially considering the integration concerns that once you introduce any sort of bidirection lines or junctions or god forbid junctions of bidirection lines you need an overall loop/construction resilient and self detouring design while a shuttle just is, and keeps being by definition.

Also consider that a worker demand is pretty constant and in one place and the network starts looking like the cargo trains' problem.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there any good breakdown of production ratios anywhere? Like roughly how many coal and iron mines / processors do I need to run s steel mill or pumps for a refinery.

I know it can vary a lot with deposit quality, but even having ballparks to start with would be super helpful.

Also, how bad of an idea is having my coal and gravel aggregate stores feed into the same train loader?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there any good breakdown of production ratios anywhere? Like roughly how many coal and iron mines / processors do I need to run s steel mill or pumps for a refinery.

I know it can vary a lot with deposit quality, but even having ballparks to start with would be super helpful.

Also, how bad of an idea is having my coal and gravel aggregate stores feed into the same train loader?

1) Not really. W&R isn't a game where you want to be too concerned about production ratios anyway; actual consumption varies so much with labor and demand that they're very ballpark. Just embrace the fact that you don't give a poo poo about Just In Time logistics and build storages everywhere. The individual buildings will tell you what they'll output at full production, if that helps.

2) You'll probably be fine as long as you make sure your aggregate storages are set to accept only the RIGHT aggregate, which is an option somewhere on the building popup. If you don't do that and just rely on a starter load and the game not mixing, you've guaranteed you'll run one storage down to zero while you're not paying attention and have your gravel storage start filling with coal or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think this is still accurate and is useful for planning purposes https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2419120517

Ratios are ultimately less useful than import/export trimming but when in doubt overbuild on the downstream side, not the upstream. Especially if you get a good domestic construction industry it costs less to build too much than the opportunity cost of for example not using the full output of your mine but its literally only making dirt that needs processing to be at all valuable.