Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Al really lost something when he ditched the glasses and mustache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Al really lost something when he ditched the glasses and mustache

I'm glad he's still around and hell I saw him in concert last month, but yeah, I also prefer his classic look.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
More color

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
ELO is alright.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
"Four Little Diamonds" is the best ELO song. :colbert:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff Lynne is a good proof that ugly guys can get pretty far in show biz

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
As I wait for the repairs on my turntable to be completed, it’s probably a good time to get some basic things for operation and maintenance.

Any recommendations on a static brush, sleeves (I think I saw mofi was preferred), entry level cleaning stuff, etc.?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

Jeff Lynne is a good proof that ugly guys can get pretty far in show biz

The only negative things I've ever heard about him were business-related with bassist Kelly Grocutt over royalties and later with drummer Bev Bevan over buying out 100% rights to the band's name.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Game-Blouses posted:

As I wait for the repairs on my turntable to be completed, it’s probably a good time to get some basic things for operation and maintenance.

Any recommendations on a static brush, sleeves (I think I saw mofi was preferred), entry level cleaning stuff, etc.?
Any carbon fiber brush should be good. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DWG4C8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had good luck with this weird gel goo stylus cleaner, but many just gently drop their stylus onto a piece of magic eraser.

Mofi sleeves are the bees knees, but these sleeves are nearly as keen (and cheeper, like the budgie):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV42DNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to clean records, Spinclean is probably your best bet without breaking the bank. I have a “Vinyl Record Washer" like this one that works just as well, but if you buy off-brand you need to ditch whatever cleaning fluid that comes with it and buy Spinclean's stuff, so it might be worth your while/cash to just go full Spinclean.

Edit: I forgot outer polyethylene sleeves. These are good.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 10, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

ELO is alright.

But have you heard the Move?

https://youtu.be/2I5kH0klENs

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JwVZYa1KSk

Pre-shades Jeff!

Also:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Here is a new thing I am working on for my mixcloud page. Too bad shrinking it down to the proper size loses a lot of the detail.

Edit: Haha holy poo poo. I have never seen a new record so dusty. Quick wipe down and it was fine but I was a little worried for a sec.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 10, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My Google-fu is failing me, maybe someone here can help: I stumbled across a site last year that recorded vinyl releases and had some sort of rating system to let you know if the pressing was garbage or not. Anyone know off-hand what that site is? Can semi-sorta-kinda accomplish the same thing checking releases manually on Discogs but this other site was way faster to use.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sheep posted:

My Google-fu is failing me, maybe someone here can help: I stumbled across a site last year that recorded vinyl releases and had some sort of rating system to let you know if the pressing was garbage or not. Anyone know off-hand what that site is? Can semi-sorta-kinda accomplish the same thing checking releases manually on Discogs but this other site was way faster to use.

White Hot Stampers

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I need to put the brakes on my vinyl collecting. I'm at the point where if I see a record available that I want, I buy it out of fear its going to go out of print, or become hard to get. I don't have that kind of budget to shop like that. I just got like 7 records last week, and I think I have another 6 or so in the mail.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

I need to put the brakes on my vinyl collecting. I'm at the point where if I see a record available that I want, I buy it out of fear its going to go out of print, or become hard to get. I don't have that kind of budget to shop like that. I just got like 7 records last week, and I think I have another 6 or so in the mail.

Commit to only buying records at thrift stores

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Commit to only buying records at thrift stores

That's one way to stop, as I'm probably not going to find any records I actually want there since I mostly go for indie rock from the last 20 years.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've got no real advice for you Nihonniboku since I'm having trouble learning to prioritize all my collectibles myself. Most things I've scaled way back on in general and have learned to not buy the stop gap items at least. These are the also ran, it's good enough, I sort of like it, it was there, sort of items and when ever I get something I've justified like that inevitably a week later I hear about a holy poo poo type item that I'd instabuy. I still do the instabuy but it doesn't lessen the feeling like a moron as I do it.

Also helps to not have any modern bands I'm completely obsessed about that aren't AWOL (plz make another album Temples).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just ask myself "is this an album im going to like in the moment or long term" because those in the moment ones I dont end up returning to and then they just take space up in my shelving when I would've been happy with the handful of singles just loaded on my phone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, I had a bunch in my shopping cart last night, and then removed most of them. I managed to pick up Takk by Sigur Ros, which I thought was out of print, and Abattoir Blues / the Lyre of Orpheus by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

I need to stop thinking of, "what albums would help round out my library," and focus on the instabuys as you said. The one I desperately want right now is You Forgot it In the People by Broken Social Scene. It's out of print right now it seems, but since they're doing the 20 year anniversary tour later this year, maybe they'll rerelease it again then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I had a bunch in my shopping cart last night, and then removed most of them. I managed to pick up Takk by Sigur Ros, which I thought was out of print

I got super lucky that Takk came out on its original pressing when I was scoping my local store, and even though I wasn't huge into them at the time I picked it up because it just seemed such a nice edition. Ended up loving the album and the price of it absolutely soared (less so when they did represses).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a select few albums that I like but absolutely don't want on vinyl because I've listened to them backwards and forwards over the years and don't need vinyl anymore to do it. Like London Calling.

technically listening to them backwards is the one thing I do need them on vinyl on to do

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dorium posted:

I just ask myself "is this an album im going to like in the moment or long term" because those in the moment ones I dont end up returning to and then they just take space up in my shelving when I would've been happy with the handful of singles just loaded on my phone.

This is my general approach but I also try to not buy any legacy favorites that I know I'll never listen to, which is why I don't have DSOTM or Legend or Sgt Peppers or whatever the gently caress.

Nihonniboku posted:

I need to stop thinking of, "what albums would help round out my library," and focus on the instabuys as you said. The one I desperately want right now is You Forgot it In the People by Broken Social Scene. It's out of print right now it seems, but since they're doing the 20 year anniversary tour later this year, maybe they'll rerelease it again then.

This one gets periodically restocked, or at least has a few times in the past year. I'm not sure of the actual print status though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve always bought physical media so buying records isn’t any different from buying CDs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Barry posted:

This one gets periodically restocked, or at least has a few times in the past year. I'm not sure of the actual print status though.

Yeah, a friend said that, it's just that all the vinyl manufacturers are way backed up, so a new release has been delayed. But, effectively it's out of print for the time being.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of buying a release b/c I'm afraid it'll go out of print - I'd be shocked if these were not one and done repressings that release today:

Das Efx - Dead Serious

Beauty and the Beat - Edan

2 classic hiphop albums, way overpriced, but they'll be pricier in a year i bet

edit: 2000 by Grand Puba is out next week too. I dunno why this good poo poo is getting repressed all of a sudden but i like it

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 10, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Walrus posted:

edit: 2000 by Grand Puba is out next week too. I dunno why this good poo poo is getting repressed all of a sudden but i like it

Everybody wants money with low effort and they're releasing their old poo poo especially if it got popular on the internet. See: game companies rereleasing old retro games and bringing over previously japan only games that got popular on the internet and therefore pricey. I am also all for this as I don't have to buy am expensive physical or hunt down roms, easy access is good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Das Efx - Dead Serious

gdi, didn't want to buy any more records this month but that was one of my faves in HS

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Nihonniboku posted:

Try to stop looking at things that have new release info - unsub from any label/artist newsletters, discogs notifications, etc. This worked for me when I was getting carried away a couple of years ago.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

The Walrus posted:

speaking of buying a release b/c I'm afraid it'll go out of print - I'd be shocked if these were not one and done repressings that release today:

Das Efx - Dead Serious

Beauty and the Beat - Edan

2 classic hiphop albums, way overpriced, but they'll be pricier in a year i bet

I’ve seen some classic hip-hop albums recently as well. Is there a good way to check these out? I’ve been trying to reference UPC numbers (if available) on discogs, but I’m totally new to all of this!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It begins

I've also got a couple of online orders on the way but am trying to limit myself to albums I know I love front to back and will get regular listens.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Secret Records is reissuing Snakefinger's Chewing Hides the Sound with pre-orders going up next Friday. If you like some wild-rear end guitar tones, Snakefinger's got 'em.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pretzellogic posted:

Any carbon fiber brush should be good. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DWG4C8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had good luck with this weird gel goo stylus cleaner, but many just gently drop their stylus onto a piece of magic eraser.

Mofi sleeves are the bees knees, but these sleeves are nearly as keen (and cheeper, like the budgie):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV42DNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to clean records, Spinclean is probably your best bet without breaking the bank. I have a “Vinyl Record Washer" like this one that works just as well, but if you buy off-brand you need to ditch whatever cleaning fluid that comes with it and buy Spinclean's stuff, so it might be worth your while/cash to just go full Spinclean.

Edit: I forgot outer polyethylene sleeves. These are good.

I'm told that Mr. Clean magic erasers leave some kind of residue behind that can gently caress up your records. That could be total horseshit but I'd personally not risk or advise risking it. It's much better to spend the 20-40 bucks for the goo thing. They can be cleaned and last for years.

I don't know anything about those sleeves you recommended but I like these because they can easily accommodate double LPs and will even hold triple LPs (though that's a tighter fit). I've also discovered after years of using the MoFi inners that the various knock offs of them are pretty much the same.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/4185/12-record-jacket-sleeve-font-colorredno-flapfontbr12-34-x-12-34-b-2-milb-polyethylene

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 11, 2022

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Be poor, very easy not to buy 7 records a week!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo one of my favourite hiphop records ever is finally getting a repress - only 300 copies too. I already tracked down a copy messaging randoms on discogs a couple years back but I picked this up as well esp since I've never given the artist any money

https://www.lonestar-recs.de/you-got-the-choice/shop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54e5pJKTFJU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
found something neat in a church basement this morning. click through if you want to see some prices.

https://twitter.com/langhuck/status/1535716123227918336?t=8BPhJJ37wA4qSvonn1yQnw&s=19

here's a teaser:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/langhuck/status/1535756646860967937

Boy would I love to see a $5 copy of Electric Warrior. Odd that it doesn't list Dandy In the Underworld, which came out in 1977.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Boy would I love to see a $5 copy of Electric Warrior. Odd that it doesn't list Dandy In the Underworld, which came out in 1977.
There's a lot of odd little blind spots, I'm guessing because it was compiled across '76/'77. Like the first couple Ramones records are listed there, and Elvis Costello, and the Sex Pistols, and the Dead Boys, and the Dictators, but no Clash, or Damned, or Talking Heads, or Meat Loaf. There's no Rush at all, despite them having five albums out!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That would be the first pressing mono version of Meet the Residents which has a couple extra minutes of music but sounds like it was recorded underwater. :eng101:

Currently a grand on Discogs sealed. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If you adjust for inflation that's about 25 bucks. Dandy in the Underworld was probably too new it include in the book. I'd still love to pay some of those other prices even when adjusted for inflation.

Moe_Rahn posted:

There's a lot of odd little blind spots, I'm guessing because it was compiled across '76/'77. Like the first couple Ramones records are listed there, and Elvis Costello, and the Sex Pistols, and the Dead Boys, and the Dictators, but no Clash, or Damned, or Talking Heads, or Meat Loaf. There's no Rush at all, despite them having five albums out!

Keep in mind that most of those debuted in 77 or 78.