Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

how is this poo poo on scrambled eggs? good, bad?

It's good on eggs, but so is pretty much any decent hot sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

just like Tuna, eat it now while you still can!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:rubby:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I've been going down a little Colorado river rabbit hole (lakes Mead and Powell specifically) and was reading an article in some AZ newspaper that was saying that no one has been doing any projections past 2026 on the impact of drought in the Colorado River.

And I just thought what the gently caress. This is a super useful thing to do. Millions of people will be impacted. I would love to work on this poo poo.

Sitting here making this tableu dash with like every possible granular event of consumer behavior so my company can sell people slightly more of things they don't need and can't afford. Yet, when the biggest reservoir in the country is on a crash course for depletion it's like "who cares whatever".

Would be cool if we just mobilized people to do things that mattered. I'm looking at job postings and maybe 1 in 20 is something people actually need. I'm Thomas the tank engine over here just wanting to do something useful and yet our economy is a malevolent AI gaming it's reward function by devouring the biosphere of our only planet.

Almost makes me mad enough to vote.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You don't get much climate change gallows humour anywhere else because these gallows are especially grim. But CSPAM delivers.

in all seriousness, I agree with this I unironically. This forum, and this thread in particular, has helped me crack-ping safely and in mostly good company. I really appreciate this place and very much hope the weirdos in QCS do not get their way.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
He that bdelloid in me shall have eternal lmaos

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

hekaton posted:

realtalk ive been having major brain problems trying to finish my phd and this forum/this thread are unalloyed good forces in that they provide some confidence that my misgivings about everything being terrible and noone paying attention to it is not because i personally am insane. also this little guy basically provided enough impetus for me to try doing something vaguely creative and fun which i sorely needed, so thank you thread

heck ya complete that PhD!!!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I've been going down a little Colorado river rabbit hole (lakes Mead and Powell specifically) and was reading an article in some AZ newspaper that was saying that no one has been doing any projections past 2026 on the impact of drought in the Colorado River.

And I just thought what the gently caress. This is a super useful thing to do. Millions of people will be impacted. I would love to work on this poo poo.

Sitting here making this tableu dash with like every possible granular event of consumer behavior so my company can sell people slightly more of things they don't need and can't afford. Yet, when the biggest reservoir in the country is on a crash course for depletion it's like "who cares whatever".

Would be cool if we just mobilized people to do things that mattered. I'm looking at job postings and maybe 1 in 20 is something people actually need. I'm Thomas the tank engine over here just wanting to do something useful and yet our economy is a malevolent AI gaming it's reward function by devouring the biosphere of our only planet.

In all seriousness are you expecting there to be water in the reservoirs and/or river after 2026?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

mawarannahr posted:

lol …it looks like poo poo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Oglethorpe posted:

it owns its basically sparkling ketchup

depending on your heat tolerance i mean

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Complications posted:

In all seriousness are you expecting there to be water in the reservoirs and/or river after 2026?

Not much lol, but there's a pretty good chance of deadpool happening more in the 30s. Also, the impacts to the Midwest communities will play out over the course of decades in terms of everything from agriculture to human migration and that's what the article was talking about.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oglethorpe posted:

it's ok, but i prefer to eat good scrambled eggs without condiments

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm mad at my job for preventing me from going and seeing the American southwest before the Water Knife started

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Car Hater posted:

I'm mad at my job for preventing me from going and seeing the American southwest before the Water Knife started

Same, let's start a drought impact consulting firm. You can canoe around lake Mead with a ruler and I'll pick out the color scheme for the tables dash.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Car Hater posted:

You've got a year or maybe two left to see it without much hassle. right now things are largely still BAU and no one has looked down that they're no longer standing on solid ground. motels and everything still have running water, stores still have supplies, national parks are still open with running water.

Zion/Bryce Canyon is beautiful, hell, utah has a lot of really great nat parks like arches, capitol reef, a bunch of wavey sand tunnels, topaz mountain, especially if you're a geology nerd like me. northern Arizona/NM/parts of NV is really cool, and has some nice places like mt wheeler, red rock canyon, lehman caves and ichthyosaurus state park, colorado glenn canyon region is gorgeous and there's always mesa verde which is a trip (also our future)

i wouldn't put it off, 2 weeks isn't a long time if you have that amount in vacation days but you could bang out a decent portion of it. it's genuinely a gorgeous region, it's just no one should live there

i would honestly love to do a goon hiking/tour trip. it's fun to see even by yourself or with a partner, but it's a lot of fun with more people.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Jun 10, 2022

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
lmao that lake mead video gained like a million more views

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkMaslin/status/1534828968951570433

surely political will can reduce CO2 emissions?

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jun 10, 2022

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Xaris posted:

You've got a year or maybe two left to see it without much hassle. right now things are largely still BAU and no one has looked down that they're no longer standing on solid ground. motels and everything still have running water, stores still have supplies, national parks are still open with running water.

Zion/Bryce Canyon is beautiful, hell, utah has a lot of really great nat parks like arches, capitol reef, a bunch of wavey sand tunnels, topaz mountain, especially if you're a geology nerd like me. northern Arizona/NM/parts of NV is really cool, and has some nice places like mt wheeler, red rock canyon, lehman caves and ichthyosaurus state park, colorado glenn canyon region is gorgeous and there's always mesa verde which is a trip (also our future)

i wouldn't put it off, 2 weeks isn't a long time if you have that amount in vacation days but you could bang out a decent portion of it. it's genuinely a gorgeous region, it's just no one should live there

i would honestly love to do a goon hiking/tour trip. it's fun to see even by yourself or with a partner, but it's a lot of fun with more people.

I gotta second this. if at all possible go see Utah before it dries up and blows away. my favorites were Goblin Valley and the surrounding weird-rear end moonscape and Canyonlands. the latter is simply breathtaking. stunning. pick your superlative - it is apt and not an exaggeration.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkMaslin/status/1534828968951570433

surely political can reduce CO2 emissions?

unfortunately there are more pressing issues than CO2 emissions, such as the high price of gasoline, that require more use of fossil fuels

don't worry, we'll get around to reducing it eventually

just without taking any measures that reduce the expansion of the global energy supply or make energy more expensive

as soon as the political capital builds up

maybe another decade or two

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

source some medicinal grade leeches before everything goes to poo poo and you're desperately trying to collect bog leeches from sewer runoff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lordshmee posted:

I gotta second this. if at all possible go see Utah before it dries up and blows away. my favorites were Goblin Valley and the surrounding weird-rear end moonscape and Canyonlands. the latter is simply breathtaking. stunning. pick your superlative - it is apt and not an exaggeration.
i dont think ive ever been to goblin valley but im sure ive driven past it, but yeah canyonlands is also cool.

something like this (presuming you'd fly into LAV, tho its missing a bunch like grand canyon b/c im out of google destinations to add) is something that was really quite an experience. we did a fair amount of roadtrips back in the 90s/early 00s but i havent been in a couple of decades, it'd be fun to revisit some before its impossible.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Reading about droughts, found some cool maps
https://www.drought.gov/current-conditions

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

T-Paine posted:

Go get married and have kids

Spergin Morlock posted:

I DONT KNOW HOW

here's what i've found:

if you want a man, you get a cane and a top hat. men are easy to please--just get "fancy"

to woo a woman, you need look warm and durable. leather jacket, greatcoat, scarf, bandanna, bonnet, any combination of those.

after that just do what comes natural

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Complications posted:

unfortunately there are more pressing issues than CO2 emissions, such as the high price of gasoline, that require more use of fossil fuels

don't worry, we'll get around to reducing it eventually

just without taking any measures that reduce the expansion of the global energy supply or make energy more expensive

as soon as the political capital builds up

maybe another decade or two

maybe the people who have their futures in a decade or two will do something?
https://twitter.com/angryteensNFT/status/1533854896948142080
ah! well. nevertheless,

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/angryteensNFT/status/1533854916023828481

These people need to be beaten senseless via wiffle bat.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lordshmee posted:

in all seriousness, I agree with this I unironically. This forum, and this thread in particular, has helped me crack-ping safely and in mostly good company. I really appreciate this place and very much hope the weirdos in QCS do not get their way.

agreed. bad things are coming, whether you learn about it or not, and personally? id rather know how bad things are and crack-ping in advance, at my own pace, with plenty of jokes. it’s a hell of a lot better than burying your head in the sand until you’re throwing your family in the car to flee, that’s the kind of abrupt shattering crack ping that really breaks people.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

we've got an update video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5OyaAxr-o

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Oglethorpe posted:

pretty alright but also what everyone else said.
personally i either dedicate the next 12 hours to a mystery poop using seven-pot pepper (mostly because it's a brighter and fruiter heat) or dig into picante/tobasco (because i essentially grew up in waffle houses). i go through a giant bottle of that, a medium tub of shark sauce and a tub of chili paste around once every two months. also a 22 pack/year smoker so maybe i don't taste things so good.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

silicone thrills posted:

They're missing all the glorious bird chat in this thread. Shutting themselves out of love.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

birds, leeches, crustaceans, rotifers...

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

birds, leeches, crustaceans, rotifers...

I prefer uncrustables

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm Thomas the tank engine
same tbh

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/angryteensNFT/status/1533854916023828481

These people need to be beaten senseless via wiffle bat.

I'm pretty sure turning your dog vegan is animal cruelty

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Anyone worried about the Huy Fong Sriracha shortage should try making their own Sriracha. It's relatively simple. I do mine based off this recipe, modified a bit to be with whatever peppers I'm growing (usually Fresno's, serranos, and cayennes).
I haven't bought a bottle of Huy Fong in well over a decade cause homemade tastes so much better.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm at a Salesforce conference today and there's a talk in a few hours called "How salesforce can save the planet"

Stay tuned for some major lols.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The sheer magnitude of the mistmatch between the huge amount of critical work that needs to be done, and the trifling bullshit almost everyone is forced to spend their labor on instead, is the biggest crack ping of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm at a Salesforce conference today and there's a talk in a few hours called "How salesforce can save the planet"

Stay tuned for some major lols.

OK the first lol comes from the pamphlet and it's a quality lol.

The talk takes place in the James Watt room. Yes that James Watt.