Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Love that every thread is an argument about weekly vs full season drops when none of us have any impact on it.

What's clear is this: weekly releases are probably back to stay. All the streaming companies going back to it is not something that happened accidentally.

I'd love for big movies to come out on streaming day 1 like the height of the pandemic too, but sadly we don't get to call the shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Antony Starr has the best American accent of all time for a non-American actor.

To be fair, his natural accent is very slight, as is Urban's.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 9, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ubersandwich posted:

I think it's a moot point anyhow. The Boys switched from an all at once to a weekly release and even after a review bombing tantrum, the show stuck to the weekly schedule. That leads me to believe that weekly schedule brings more viewers. Even Netflix who is famously clinging to an all at once philosophy is now splitting releases into parts. If it makes more money it's the way it's going to be.

I just figured it's more about keeping people talking about the show for longer with a weekly release. Plus it keeps them coming back to Amazon each week -- a whole store and not just a video streaming platform.

I suspect Netflix is splitting their shows up to try and get an extra month's subscription out of folks like me who just subscribe for one or two months per year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These guys have almost perfect viewership data and that's telling them that the staggered release schedule is better for sub retention. Why, I have no idea, but with the kind of metrics they have access to, they - theoretically - are going to make release decisions that maximize subscriptions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

These guys have almost perfect viewership data and that's telling them that the staggered release schedule is better for sub retention. Why, I have no idea, but with the kind of metrics they have access to, they - theoretically - are going to make release decisions that maximize subscriptions.

The "why" seems pretty obvious imo. If you dump a season at once people subscribe to watch it then dump it a month later. If you stagger it out to 13 weeks or whatever that's another couple of months baked in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

christmas boots posted:

The "why" seems pretty obvious imo. If you dump a season at once people subscribe to watch it then dump it a month later. If you stagger it out to 13 weeks or whatever that's another couple of months baked in.

That makes sense, but if we are talking about a population that's highly sensitive to when content is on a particular platform and cancels/uncancels based on that, then why wouldn't these penny pinchers just wait until the whole season is out before subbing.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Of course it's better for the streaming companies, and I'm under no illusions that they'll change. It's just a shame we went from a brief period of proper on demand back to a TV style schedule. See also: the fact that there are now a million different streaming services.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Of course it's better for the streaming companies, and I'm under no illusions that they'll change. It's just a shame we went from a brief period of proper on demand back to a TV style schedule. See also: the fact that there are now a million different streaming services.

Still way better than ad-supported cable. I mean, there wasn't ever going to be a platform offering everything you might want to watch at a low, low price. That was never going to be the long-term state. At least now we have actual ala carte options and don't have to subsidize HGTV and Spike or whatever.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't mind the weekly schedule because it allows me to read this thread and enjoy the discussion without having to watch the entire season first.

There's also more discussion about individual episodes and smaller moments when there's not an entire season of content to crowd out or overlook things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

That makes sense, but if we are talking about a population that's highly sensitive to when content is on a particular platform and cancels/uncancels based on that, then why wouldn't these penny pinchers just wait until the whole season is out before subbing.

They don't want to wait. I don't think it's as strategic as you're assuming. People want to watch the show and they'll subscribe to do so and then unsubscribe when the show is over.

(I also think writing for a binge release created a series of shows that are just poorly paced but that's a whole other thing)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

We waited 2 years to watch Top Gun: Maverick even though it was already finished. Waiting 10 weeks for episodes to trickle in is a piece of cake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prime is unique because many (most?) sub for a whole year at a time, and it comes as an add-on for Prime delivery. I'd be interested to see how many are on month-to-month vs yearly plans.

But obviously the streaming services agree with you, I'm just surprised that people are that sensitive to a $10-$15 monthly charge that they sub and unsub constantly to save money. I'd assume under that paradigm, you'd have just as many people waiting to sub as you do people who sub when a show drops, but the streaming services don't agree and they have access to much better data than I.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

He was literally made by vought from childhood. My guess is some flavor of brain implant bomb put in when he was little and weaker and being tortured by Dr. Nazi

Can't we just be subtle and nuanced about this and say that implant bomb is a metaphorical bomb that is made up of his dependence and need of the only parents he's ever known?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I feel like it's pretty obvious Stan has nothing but disdain for most, if not all, of them - except maybe Black Noir who seems to be the most ideal, loyal, soldier sort of the current batch but even then is prone to loving up in big ways if incidental conversations in the show matter. Also there seems to be a fan theory now that they're brothers so who knows.

Vought's main interest seems to be politics and/or military contracts; in the comics, for what that matters, that was always their explicit goal, they had a long history really bad military contract poo poo and the whole super hero thing was, mostly, how they kept in business after the colossal failure of the original attempt at integrating soldier boy and his crew into the military which led to Mallory swearing he'd do everything in his power to stop them thanks to a scene similar to the flashback in the show not to specifically have their people on the front lines or in the white house, but to be the people behind the scenes pulling the strings of those people. The whole super heroes in the military thing is a bad idea from the outset because as The Seven have shown, it takes a massive amount of media circus just to keep them presentable; they're every day celebrity trash fires, only instead of having a public meltdown and drunkenly screaming about the jews, they're likely to blow up half a city block or tear a reporter in half, and they're too hard to control to stay profitable in the way Vought wants.

One of the best things, if not the best thing, the comic Boys did was focus on Vought's neptness yet continuing essential role in the military industrial complex. Hope they continue to focus on that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I'm just surprised that people are that sensitive to a $10-$15 monthly charge that they sub and unsub constantly to save money.

I would not notice the $180/yr a sub would cost me to just keep active all the time, but I simply just don't watch that many shows. The last show I gave a poo poo about was Game of Thrones, and then Breaking Bad before that.

So if I'm actively not using it, why bother paying for it? Most of my viewing habits are watching youtube channels or Simpsons reruns while I eat dinner or as background noise while doing chores.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
As someone with very little leisure time between work & kids, I'm grateful for weekly releases because it means I can still participate in discussions about the show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

We already had this derail in the better call saul thread and I'll never understand why people defend the weekly release schedule. If you want to watch it weekly you can still do that even if it all drops at once! Less consumer choice is always bad.

Actually giving people bad choices is worse than giving them fewer choices

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

oh jay posted:

We waited 2 years to watch Top Gun: Maverick even though it was already finished. Waiting 10 weeks for episodes to trickle in is a piece of cake.

"Us waited 2 years to watch Top Gun"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

oh jay posted:

who's we buddy

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

who's we buddy

Tom Cruise?! Here?!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shageletic posted:

One of the best things, if not the best thing, the comic Boys did was focus on Vought's neptness yet continuing essential role in the military industrial complex. Hope they continue to focus on that.

I think they might if just because the show seems to be taking the good ideas from the comic, polishing them up, then throwing most of the garbage aside. Like what they've done with Marvin, who was a cool character in the comic but absolutely everything around him was beyond awful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I am absolutely enthralled by the amount of external media (I'm sure there is a word for this) that is being produced for The Boys. Earlier this morning I read that they filmed several extended sequences for a fake in-world movie from the 80's starring Soldier Boy, and the Vought twitter account just dropped this:

https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1534901817917718529

ARG I think. They did it a lot for Cloverfield as well.

God, that clip, it's like he's channeling Jaden Smith. Whoever writes these lil behind the scenes things has got the tone loving nailed.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

new episode is supposed to be out now-ish, right? midnight gmt?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

new episode is supposed to be out now-ish, right? midnight gmt?

It’s up for me, I’m in Canada tho so ymmv

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

apparently there’s a problem getting it pushed to all users

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah idk i can't see episode 4 in prime video

i hate living in joe biden's america

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

where’s my fuckin episode jeff

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn’t see it until I clicked on it in Apple TV.

Stuff definitely happens in this episode:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm kind of getting "Homelander turning a big dial taht says "Culture War" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right vibes.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

We already had this derail in the better call saul thread and I'll never understand why people defend the weekly release schedule. If you want to watch it weekly you can still do that even if it all drops at once! Less consumer choice is always bad.

Eh, at least here I've noticed binge shows have a life span of usually a week, a month tops. And then interest craters. Banter, whether here or irl is about not only content but space to think and digest

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
An hour and a half past when it's supposed to be out and it's not on any of my devices

Thanks Jeff Bidenbama

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

GIVE ME MY SLOP!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

thank you scene group for getting the new episode to me faster than the streaming service I’m actually paying for

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

davidspackage posted:

There is a change though, before he was 'behaving' because he felt he needed to do that to earn the people's adoration. Now he's convinced he can drop the mask and still be adored.

We're definitely getting some "I didn't think the leopards would eat my face" from his fans this season.

It really seems like there should narratively be a final showdown with Homelander soon at the rate things are going. They could even make that work and remaining seasons would focus on Edgar and Neuman as the big bads.

But they can probably get another decent season out of chuds gobbling it up each time he doubles down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thundercracker posted:

Eh, at least here I've noticed binge shows have a life span of usually a week, a month tops. And then interest craters. Banter, whether here or irl is about not only content but space to think and digest

Weekly shows do, too. That's the entire point; you string people along to the limit of their interest and then drop a new episode in front of them, repeat until you run out of episodes. At this point it's almost purely done because it's more favorable for the company in terms of netting them more money because it keeps people talking about their product longer. It's basically the same effect you get when you jingle keys in front of a child. If you jingle them for a minute straight the kid's going to get bored. But you jingle them for three seconds, then hide them, the kid will spend a few extra seconds wondering where the keys went then eventually get bored allowing you to pop the keys back out and jingle again before hiding them again and prolong that minute's worth of key time to like four minutes with all that space between.

Wheeee posted:

thank you scene group for getting the new episode to me faster than the streaming service I’m actually paying for

I hope you're excited for ads coming to streaming services you pay for soon!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Anecdotally, this thread has done more numbers than the Stranger Things Episode 4 thread in equal time and there's nothing left to talk about there until June.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Anecdotally, this thread has done more numbers than the Stranger Things Episode 4 thread in equal time and there's nothing left to talk about there until June.

you're welcome

butcher is an example of toxic masculinity

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wheeee posted:

where’s my fuckin episode jeff

I blame W I D E . E D G A R

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stan Stretchgar

where's my episode you sons of bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I personally am an impulsive piggy who will gobble up content when it's available even though I always enjoy weekly shows more so I'm glad for a model that protects me from myself.

Edit: also Netflix's new preferred release schedule of 1st half---> [Exactly 2 months and a day]----->2nd half is extremely bullshit and the worst of both worlds.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 10, 2022