Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Cacator posted:

I've got 50 points each in STR and FTH, and I've leveled up Blasphemous Blade, Avatar's Staff and Malekith's blade to +10 and am just about to start my run through Ashen Capital after taking care of Malenia. Any other somber faith/strength weapons I should max out?

Golden Halberd and Godslayer's Greatsword are the only two I can think of. Swing them around and see if you like the movesets and L2s.

I fuggin' love halberds in this game. Currently level 200 on my NG+ and not leveling more. 2x bleed scaled Nightrider Glaives, full bull goat except night cavalry helm and medium rolling with no equip load talismans. 65 str 63 endurance 30 arcane and feeling pretty drat strong. Finally ready to try some PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Golden Halberd and Godslayer's Greatsword are the only two I can think of. Swing them around and see if you like the movesets and L2s.

I fuggin' love halberds in this game. Currently level 200 on my NG+ and not leveling more. 2x bleed scaled Nightrider Glaives, full bull goat except night cavalry helm and medium rolling with no equip load talismans. 65 str 63 endurance 30 arcane and feeling pretty drat strong. Finally ready to try some PvP.

Golden Halberd got me through a good chunk of the game but it doesn't scale well into the end game. I beat the giant pot man's spawns in Caelid with it though. You're right about haldberds, nice balance of reach and speed compared to the colossal weapons I've been using. I totally forgot about the Godslayer's greatsword, that looks like fun.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm gonna regret freeing Lautrec, aren't I?

Eventually you'll feel like hugging yourself, the armor is so good. Well, both the armor sets you get are great in different ways. It's a cool quest line too.

I hope ER has an equivalent to Lautrec and Yurt but I doubt it, feels like From stopped with that kind of quest after the first 2 games.

E: Those loving fingerspiders in Caria Manor. Ewww. First time I used a shield, getting chain staggered by a mob of those things was no fun. Maybe the second time I did an Ash summon for other than a boss. Engvall staggers better than them.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 9, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

He's a friendly guy who likes to laugh. Who doesn't love laughing? Never met a guy who loves to laugh that I couldn't trust.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lautrec did nothing wrong

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

hazardousmouse posted:

naaaaaaaaaah

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cacator posted:

Yeah I've got the black blade. Only have the small and medium sized dooters though. I assume I've gotta farm the big boys for the large one?

The greathammer one is the best of the three (smaller one is a hammer, biggest is a colossal one). The medium sized doot is the best one as it has the rain of DOOT that does multi hits on big targets (it obliterates dragons and everything up close).

Aaaand 2nd playthrough (frenzied flame) finished today, left the last two bosses for today and was a one-shot with godskin incantations spam for Radagon (mimic aswell) and spamming pest threads on Elden Beast. I almost got killed because of being greedy+ loving elder stars that spawned next to me and couldn't outrun it. Mimic died when Elden Beast had something like 10% hp left that was just two pest threads.

60 Faith, 32STR by endgame with a +25 godslayer seal brutally murders everything from midgame once you get past 40 faith. I upgraded the Sacred Relic sword to +10 and proceeded to murder Albinaurics to test it. Fun farming weapon, aim and forget. Just need the "normal" ending now for platinum but I think I'll take a small break after 300ish hours of Elden Ring and play some other stuff now.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

White Light posted:

Why does Margit the Fell show up twice in this game, and why does he spawn twice in this game? Feels weird seeing him as a wild spawn in Altus Plateau this run when I haven't even encountered him the first time round.

You may or may not realize the answer after you encounter Morgot for his boss fight (I did not and had to have someone else point it out)

(Remember how ranni introduced herself as renna the first time around?)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/chara_betty/status/1519233054618832900

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Luckily it actually plays well this time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They used their 8 years of subsequent experience to pull off the impossible and make a good DS2

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Main thing is to not give a poo poo about dying. Only thing you lose is some souls. If you go to a new area and it's kicking your arse, then don't forget this important advice:

https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1507469197198213125?t=APFZezALOeYu4gvfqHWl9g&s=19

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lol at all the people who get in the elevator and then forget how they got to the volcano. Buddy that’s not the games fault, that’s you. Sorry that’s how you found out you were going hollow.

So I guess there were no DLC announcements at Geoff’s game fest?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2 is fantastic you dorks
the famous narrative trope, "woman moment"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Just finished my first blind play through. How people beat this in a week is beyond me

e: I guess now I’ll find out. My NG+ will be just a bee line through the game to see how much shorter it is

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 9, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that ds2 tweet sucks so drat bad. everything's obvious and not some kind of revelation then the last thing is weird and embarrassing

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I've been doing my second playthrough and I just got the cold affinity for my uchigatanas.

Holy poo poo this is strong. You get the frost proc, then a bit later you get the bleed proc. OP OP.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"females"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

dodgeblan posted:

I've been doing my second playthrough and I just got the cold affinity for my uchigatanas.

Holy poo poo this is strong. You get the frost proc, then a bit later you get the bleed proc. OP OP.
Much like DS2 freely lets you stack elements, ER lets you stack statuses. Good games

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

dodgeblan posted:

I've been doing the same thing but not on an uchi but smaller weapons (claws right now, but I started with dual knives)

Here's the Margit fight from that character, it's always a fun one but I don't think I've had an easier time with him yet (this is from my fourth playthrough)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5-46FTBOE

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got my hug on my NG+.

Hahaha does Melina let you have it after you take on the flames. Whatever lady let it burn.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Hi Goons, this is the best video game I ever played. I am now on my 5th play through going with a INT/DEX build. MY wife is all most done with her first playthrough. I helped her with Mogh last night, I never had so much fun in a video game than comet azuring Mogh with my wife and watching him drop without him doing anything.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Regal Ancestor Spirit is actually a pretty cool fight if you're melee only.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Forgot what a step up in difficulty some of the dlc stuff is for DS2. That fuckin fight against the three dudes...rough. I beat it but it was a lot of kiting. I imagine that fight is a lot easier as a caster. My miracles cast too slow to be much use there. Most of the fight was me trying to thin them down while the Havels guy chased me down like the god damned terminator.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Forgot what a step up in difficulty some of the dlc stuff is for DS2. That fuckin fight against the three dudes...rough. I beat it but it was a lot of kiting. I imagine that fight is a lot easier as a caster. My miracles cast too slow to be much use there. Most of the fight was me trying to thin them down while the Havels guy chased me down like the god damned terminator.

Its the same as a caster, a fuckload of scooby doo running

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Started a randomiser run.

Sweet, well that's the ending sorted.

gently caress the Ulcerated Tree Spirit of Godrick though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Been using the crystalian ash as a summon and lol this thing is tough. Melania can't crack it so she only does like 23 damage per swing. I don't think I've seen it lose even 50% of its HP. The most damage it took was from a fall. It can't attack worth a drat and does no damage but it's my version of a shield.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Started a randomiser run.

Those Who Live In Their Mother's Basement are hunted by the Golden Order as abhorrent.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Not a fan of these banished knights en route to the Godskin Duo, but at least there are only two of em. As for the duo themselves, it seems like the plump sort is more dangerous (he catches me off guard more often at least), so my strategy has been to hit him with two sleep pots right away (though I think I got it to proc with one pot last time - more research required) and then beat up the skinny one. Mixed results so far: sometimes the big one will hit me with a black flame before I can get a pot out, one time I tried summoning Bernie and he started attacking the sleeping one, and the skinny one is fast enough to interrupt my incantations and special attacks.

Taking a break from that, I tracked down Astel, Naturalborn of the Void, and I’m pretty sure I could have got it second try if not for the teleport > grab attack. Super weak to Starcaller Cry, but it has an annoying habit of disappearing between the gravity pull and the follow up smash.

Also, is there a trick to using pest threads? It doesn’t seem to do as much damage as I was hoping for - slightly less than a lightning spear, far less than frozen lightning or ancient dragon lightning. Do I need a special talisman or seal?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man people are really, really appreciative of help beating Niall. Been putting a sign down for the fight to give myself structured breaks while doing some work stuff and it's a really fun fight where the host is just super happy to be done with it like none of the others I've camped to co-op before lol. It's a tough fight but not what I'd call hard, coming into it at level 95ish and a faith build (third time around, admittedly). Just run right to draw out the two swords guy and burn him down, at which point it's relatively trivial.

Funniest thing is half the time my doing this fucks up some wizard trying to comet azur him. Sorry fucko that only works like half the time tops whereas I'll beat him every time, hope you're ready to actually fight instead of just cower in the corner like a huge nerd. Unga bunga supremacy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh poo poo I just realized I'm about to hit Ordina without my beloved jar cannon, how the gently caress am I gonna deal with those archers? hmmmmmmm much to ponder

edit - false alarm, I can wield it with just 1 more point in strength, should be good

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 10, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
After 12.5 days of playtime across five characters I finally got one to Radagon. Nearly 100% everything else I believe. Level 180 dual curved sword bleed build with some dragon incants to support. Managed to get him down to about 35-40% once. I think mixing in some dragon claw and maw may help out.

Incredible game and I can't wait to dig into all the lore to better understand wtf is going on. I THINK the reason you go to cfa is to get the rune of death so you can actually kill Rad?

Also poor Alex.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Radlord is immune to bleed so swapping your weapons to Occult might be all the extra damage you need.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Before ER I would've said my favorite Souls music was Gaping Dragon but that Godskin boss song is so loving good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mustached Demon posted:

I got my hug on my NG+.

Hahaha does Melina let you have it after you take on the flames. Whatever lady let it burn.

In my last playthrough I took on the Frenzied Flame before killing the Fire Giant so that Melina thinks I'm uncool and leaves, then I used Miquella's needle after burning down the erdtree myself and did Ranni's ending so I guess Melina will have to take up basket weaving or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wish melina had special dialogue if you "just a prank bro" it with miquella's needle after burning yourself instead of her at the forge

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I wish melina had special dialogue if you "just a prank bro" it with miquella's needle after burning yourself instead of her at the forge

"You didn't have the runes to do it, bitch"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Vandar posted:

I just switched from the Winged Scythe to the Blasphemous Blade.

...yeah I'm sticking with this and not looking back. Holy butts what an upgrade.

Winged Scythe remains pretty great for NPC invasions. You may also want to go back to it for Fire Giant, as BB unsurprisingly just tickles him...

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Got to EB with Wing of Astel. Plan is to use the weapon art to knock the beast on its rear end. It's great, works on all sorts of big enemies. Problem is, Elden Beast is immune to Nebula. Completely immune to the damage portion, but can still be knocked over from the stance damage so I know it hit em. This is such a strange esoteric quirk I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and I'm wondering if it's because he's immune to his own attack of the same name and the code reads it that way, or if there's a lore reason considering the make-up of the beast itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Honestly kinda bummed they didn't think of this as a possible plot path, it's pretty ingenious.