Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Tenshin/Takeru happen this month?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 18.52%
Why would you hurt me this way 22 81.48%
Total: 27 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> After an hour she is less than a quarter-pound over, so Nina brings out scissors to chop her hair off. They cut enough off to get her down to 126.

Unironically love “do you wanna be a loving fighter" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

kimbo305 posted:

> After an hour she is less than a quarter-pound over, so Nina brings out scissors to chop her hair off. They cut enough off to get her down to 126.

Unironically love “do you wanna be a loving fighter" moments.
Screenshot I took of how much hair she had to lose

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

An important update from the z-leagues
https://twitter.com/Matysek88/status/1534241408453844995

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Jiri is now Agent 47.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This but the guy is on a bus and 47 is throwing a trolley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6do1-cmcQHE

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jiri would never break bus

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
he would kick it until it's destroyed like a bonus stage in street fighter

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Some of these fights might have some juicy odds this weekend. I need to help the spirit of Jase live on.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Road to UFC starts at 2:30 AM ET the next two days (i.e. in three hours) so if you have Fight Pass you’ll have 10 fights to watch each of the next two mornings when you get up. Records on the fighters look mostly solid too, hopefully the shows should be pretty good and they represent the first round of some kind of 8 fighter tournament in each of four weight classes.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Road to UFC Day 1 Catch-Up:

Show 1:
Zhang vs. Tokkos great
Maimaitituoheti vs. Kazama good
Kashimura vs. Ki pretty good
Yi vs. Sasu good

Show 2:
Etchell vs. Uchida pretty good
Hong vs. Matsushima great

Best fight was Hong vs. Matsushima and you should go out of your way to see it. Overall two very easy to watch shows, worth your time on a Thursday.

Best finishes:
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1534835852525850625
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1534788415601971200

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
whadda fuk

https://twitter.com/bareknucklefc/status/1534983343225221120?t=_ygyi449xyH7NQOMn8QYXA&s=19

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
BKFC rules. Giving us the fights we didn't know we wanted

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lmao I would say good luck to Mike's brain health but

It's gonna be hilarious when they can't get sanctioned because of Triller's fuckery

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 9, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Did MVP quit Bellator after one decision loss? Or I guess his contract could have been up and BKFC gave him crypto investor PVZ money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does MVP have hands-only skills to deal with Perry? I contend not.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mike Perry is going to knock MVP out and it's going to be hysterical.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Someone give me the rundown on MVP

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nordichammer posted:

Protected standup fighter with good evasion and in-and-out movement, succeeds in baiting people into coming in and countering them at the edge of his long reach. Very much a counter fighter who struggles leading. Had some highlight reel kos but was never gonna be the real deal against not handpicked competition.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nordichammer posted:

actually pretty legit karate guy from the UK who has fought like 17 times in Bellator but mostly against bin men so he gets big KOs and Bellator hypes him as a p4p great

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

nordichammer posted:

Bellator declared him their New Anderson Silva due to being a flashy* British Kickboxer with no ground game. Once literally caved in Cyborg Santos' ex husband's♤ skull and celebrated by throwing a pokeball at him while he screamed in career-ending agony on the mat.

*Cannot do anything cool against anyone who does not suck absolute poo poo

♤Also named Cyborg Santos

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

Once literally caved in Cyborg Santos' ex husband's♤ skull and celebrated by throwing a pokeball at him while he screamed in career-ending agony on the mat.
This is my main memory about MVP, for some reason.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Big John McCarthy once argued that MVP, victor over fighters like lesser Cyborg and Nah-Shon Burrell, had faced better opposition and proved himself better than Anderson Silva. When criticized for this, he doubled down by saying he meant at those respective points in their careers, because at that point Anderson had been can-crushing in Japan while MVP was fighting the best in the world. MVP was 32 at the time, so that was comparatively right about when Anderson destroyed Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson.

MVP would go on to get a title shot three fights later and get wrestled to death by a guy he had half a foot on.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Bellator declared him their New Anderson Silva due to being a flashy* British Kickboxer with no ground game. Once literally caved in Cyborg Santos' ex husband's♤ skull and celebrated by throwing a pokeball at him while he screamed in career-ending agony on the mat.

*Cannot do anything cool against anyone who does not suck absolute poo poo

♤Also named Cyborg Santos

Okay I guess I am a fan.

You are all great. Thank you.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dont forget him getting knocked out by Lima that was just the perfect timing on a kick punch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhmg5s5bNCk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

Dont forget him getting knocked out by Lima that was just the perfect timing on a kick punch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhmg5s5bNCk

I'll never forgive Douglas Lima for this because it made me watch his successive fights which were all dogshit bad and each worse than the last

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of karate weirdos:

CARL'S FIGHT BREAKDOWNS, EPISODE 19: OLD GUNS

PRELIMS 3:30 PM PST/6:30 PM EST VIA ESPN+ | MAIN CARD 7:00 PM PST/10:00 PM EST VIA PAY-PER-VIEW

We've arrived at our pay-per-view for the month. We've got one title eliminator, two championship matches, an Australian with three names and a slate of surprisingly promising fights. Prepare for UFC 275.

eventually Fialho will be on every single card

MAIN EVENT: I WOULD TRANSLATE JIRI'S NICKNAME BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO PROBATE MYSELF
:piss:LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT: Glover Teixeira (33-7, Champion) vs Jiří Procházka (28-3-1, #2):piss:
Sometimes destiny is deferred. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth the king of light-heavyweight was Chuck Liddell, and inbetween destroying Alistair Overeem, humiliating Tito Ortiz and repeatedly crushing Randy Couture he gave interviews about how a young, unknown training partner of his named Glover Teixeira was going to hold his belt one day. Glover was supposed to join the UFC back then thanks to his destruction of soon-to-be-world-renowned Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, but visa troubles that were supposed to be resolved in a few months wound up kicking him out of America for half a decade.

Sometimes destiny is deferred. Glover Teixeira joined the UFC in 2012 at an impressive 17-2, and within a year he was 22-2, had a victory over a former champion in Rampage Jackson and a top contender in Ryan Bader, and looked like a monster. His hands were heavy, his recovery was impressive, his wrestling was solid and his top game was terrifying. He could outgrapple Ricco Rodriguez, outpunch Fabio Maldonado and outwrestle Ryan Bader, and if you successfully hurt him he would take a moment, recover, and hurt you more. He may not have been in his young, athletic prime, but time had seasoned his strength and his skills, and in his mid-thirties, he was ready to fight for the belt.

Sometimes destiny is deferred. Jon Jones was a brick wall for the entire world and Glover Teixeira was no different. A 50-45 shutout sent him down the line and another domination by Phil Davis saw him lagging even further behind, and for the next four years he found himself banished to the middle of the pack. Choke out Ovince Saint Preux; get knocked out by Anthony Johnson. Outwrestle Jared Cannonier; get destroyed by Alexander Gustafsson. Ground and pound a still-vital Misha Cirkunov; get outwrestled by Corey Anderson. By the dawn of 2019, Glover Teixeira was an afterthought. He was 27-7, he hadn't strung two wins together in three years, he was entering his forties. His time was up.

Sometimes destiny is deferred. Right around his fortieth birthday, instead of retiring, Glover Teixeira went on the best run of his life. He was suddenly submitting prospects and contenders and grinding down people who were supposed to destroy him. Just two fights after Anthony Smith went the distance with Jon Jones, Glover Teixeira stopped him by beating him so severely Smith had to hand the referee his teeth for safekeeping. On a five-fight win streak Glover Teixeira was given his second crack at the championship Chuck Liddell had promised him almost twenty years earlier, and despite coming in as a heavy underdog, Teixeira ragdolled Jan Błachowicz and choked him out in just two rounds. After traveling through perdition and exile, Glover Teixeira, a young man of 42, became the champion of the world.

And now he has to defend that legacy against Jiří Procházka. Jiří has taken the path of the madman. He was introduced to martial arts through Tekken, and cites the 2008 schlockfest Never Back Down alongside videos of Mirko Cro-Cop as integral to his journey into the world of combat sports. Where other fighters of the era were studying mixed martial arts for its academic athleticism, mastering different aspects of the sport and applying them in a careful, judicious blend, Jiří Procházka eschewed balance and modernity. He named himself The Czech Samurai. He followed the principles of Bushido. He studied the blade.

And he knocked out a million motherfuckers. He's won 28 times: 25 of those wins came by knockout. Punches, flying knees, head kicks. When he entered the UFC in 2020 he made it exactly two fights before dusting two-time title contender Dominick Reyes with a Chris Jericho spinning elbow. He's only let a fight go to a decision once in his career, and it turned out he'd torn his knee apart in the first round. He is so deeply, effectively violent, and has so thoroughly internalized the philosophical lessons of Never Back Down, that his primary method of defending against strikes is punching the other guy first, and his primary method of recovering from being punched is to punch back, but harder.

You do not need me to tell you Jiří Procházka is most likely going to win this fight. He almost won Rizin's grand prix. He DID win Rizin's light-heavyweight championship. He punched his ticket to title contendership faster than almost anyone in UFC history. He's fighting a world champion on a three-year, six-fight winning streak and the champion is the universal betting underdog. He's a brutal knockout artist fighting a man who gets wobbled constantly. Jiří Procházka has been preparing for this spotlight for his entire life. He is a master of martial arts. He's a promotional dream. He was meant for this sport, and is destined to be champion.

But sometimes destiny is deferred.

Jiří Procházka is a wildman who can knock out anyone on the planet and he's also reckless. He got hurt by Volkan Oezdemir. He got hurt by Dominick Reyes. He got hurt by loving CB Dollaway. He is such a successful striker specifically because he throws fearlessly and recklessly, and that's gotten him thrown on his head repeatedly--including by Reyes himself. Jiří hasn't had to fight out of a bad, commanding position in a very long time, and that's let him do things like throw lazy front kicks and leave himself unable to stop a takedown here and there. That's fine against some fighters. Glover Teixeira has been destroying people from those openings for twice as long as Jiří Procházka has had a martial arts career.

It is entirely possible I just want this to happen and am trying to will it into existence. But I think Jiří gets reckless, and I think Jiří gets taken down, and I think Glover Teixeira wins by submission. It took twenty years to get here. I don't think he's ready to leave just yet.

CO-MAIN EVENT: AT WHAT POINT IS A TITLE SHOT A PUNISHMENT
WOMEN'S FLYWEIGHT: Valentina Shevchenko (22-3, Champion) vs Taila Santos (19-1, #4)
You know how I just wrote one thousand words about an ostensibly easy-to-pick championship fight? I will not be doing that this time.

Valentina Shevchenko is Valentina Shevchenko. Where names like Anderson Silva and Matt Hughes get free-associated with immaculate striking or wrestling, Valentina Shevchenko is cursed by being known not so much for her skills as for the massive loving chasm between her skills and those of her competitors. She's been in the UFC since 2015 and she's 11-2 in that time, and both of those losses were against Amanda Nunes, the greatest women's mixed martial artist of all time and a champion at a weight class twenty pounds above Valentina's, and the second fight was a split decision that could easily have gone either way.

She doesn't just defeat her opponents, she destroys them, and she destroys them in multifaceted ways. In her last fight she outlanded the legendarily tough Lauren Murphy 132 to 19. She took one of the most strongest wrestlers and grapplers in the division in Jéssica Andrade, someone who outwrestles featherweights, and went 7 for 7 on takedowns against her. She gave Holly Holm, one of the most sound defensive strikers in women's combat sports, the second-most lopsided striking loss of her career. She holds a submission victory over current bantamweight champion Julianna Pena. There is no safe place in a Valentina Shevchenko fight. She will follow you to your strongest point and break you atop it.

By contrast, Taila Santos, it can be definitively stated, is a fighter who exists. She is present, and has attributes. On occasion, she has defeated people. She was in the second wave of Contender Series winners, and her first UFC appearance was a fairly one-sided loss to Mara Romero Borella (that was inexplicably given a split decision, which it absolutely should not have been), who could go on to lose four straight fights and get quietly cut. Her title shot comes on the back of victories over two of the top women in the world: Roxanne Modafferi, who retired one fight later, and Joanne Wood, who has a UFC record of 7-8.

It would be deeply disrespectful to say Taila Santos cannot win this fight. She's a very capable fighter with notable skills. Her trips and throws out of the clinch are solid. Her top game may not always produce finishes, but her control is very difficult to break. Joanne Wood's chin can attest to the power she carries when she connects cleanly, and in twenty bouts, no one's managed to stop her. She's tough as nails.

She was also getting lit up by Joanne Wood until she landed that bomb. She was also getting repeatedly scrambled and threatened by Gillian Robertson to the point that her offense dwindled to nothing and she nearly got submitted. It may still be disrespectful to say Taila Santos is getting this fight because women's flyweight is a graveyard full of corpses Valentina Shevchenko lovingly planted, but it doesn't make it not true. Valentina Shevchenko by decision. There are a whole bunch of ways she can win this fight and none of them would be a surprise.

MAIN CARD: KAPE OF GOOD HOPE
:piss:WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT: Zhang Weili (21-3, #2) vs Joanna Jędrzejczyk (16-4, NR):piss:
Hoo, boy, this fight.

The UFC was really, really happy about Zhang Weili winning the strawweight championship. At the time of their aggressive attempting at courting the difficult but ridiculously lucrative Chinese market they just happened to have the good fortune of one of the best strawweights in the world being an exceptionally scary Chinese woman. She hit like a truck, she not only had a great backup plan in her wrestling but was very good at mixing it into her striking, and she jumped on openings with a viciousness unseen in the division. Then-champion Jéssica Andrade is one of the toughest fighters not just in the division but in women's MMA history, a warrior across three weight classes who's fought some of the absolute best of the best. Leading into her title defense against Weili in 2019, Andrade had only been stopped on strikes once, and it was a dominant wrestling performance by Liz Carmouche that was less about accumulated damage than her inability to escape three straight minutes of ground-and-pound. Zhang Weili dropped her into the fetal position in forty seconds.

But her career-defining performance would come next. Women's strawweight is a very young division, but Joanna Jędrzejczyk is its unquestioned greatest of all time. Carla Esparza may have been the inaugural champion, but the UFC had its eyes on this aggressive Polish Muay Thai champion, and obsessive fans were already fairly certain what would happen when they met. Joanna butchered Carla Esparza in one of the most one-sided beatings in UFC championship history. Her fast, nearly continuous combination striking was an entire level above everyone in the division and for several years she made herself look nearly unstoppable. There have been eight successful title defenses across the seven UFC strawweight champions: Five of them are Joanna's, and no one else has more than one. When she was tapped for Zhang's first title defense, no one argued.

And they beat the poo poo out of each other. The fight ran away with every fight of the year award in 2020 and is firmly and deservedly ensconced as one of the best fights of all time. Joanna's overwhelming combinations, Zhang's brute strength and accuracy, their mutual willingness to walk straight through visibly damaging, staggering strikes to hurt one another, the way they would each get hurt, seemingly wilt, and instead catch their breath and begin swinging back even harder--it was an incredible fight that left both women battered and swollen to near-unrecognizable states. (Joanna much more, though. Don't google it. Or do.)

After a genuinely insane combined 366 strikes landed, Zhang Weili took a split decision. And then both women fell off the top of the ladder. Zhang lost her title one fight later in a shocking knockout loss to Rose Namajunas and lost a narrow decision in the rematch. Joanna Jędrzejczyk took a hiatus from the sport altogether. She'd been fighting nonstop since she was 16, she was frustrated about a decision she felt she should have won, she was frustrated by insufficient pay and she didn't want to fight until the pandemic was over.

Fortunately for all of us, the pandemic is over and everything's fine now. And that means it's rematch time. Who gets to very obviously defeatthe next shot at Carla Esparza?

Zhang Weili takes a decision. I am, to be clear, extremely not confident in this pick. Anytime a top fighter disappears for literal years their condition on return is a diceroll. Sometimes they're rejuvenated and healed and fired up. Sometimes they're older and slower and less motivated. Joanna could look better than ever. But this fight is also three rounds rather than the five they fought previously, and that means Zhang Weili can be much less conservative with her energy--and given how much trouble her strength and aggression gave Joanna two years ago, given a tighter focus, I think she'll take the fight to her and deny her the space to settle into her striking game.

:piss:FLYWEIGHT: Rogério Bontorin (17-4, #8) vs Manel Kape (17-6, #14):piss:
I'm sure this will shock you, but flyweights are good. Rogério Bontorin looked like a contender early in his UFC tenure thanks to a mixture of heavy leg kicks, a granite chin and some impressively scrambly grappling, but he hit the wall of the top ten pretty hard. He's lost three of his last four fights, which is not at all difficult to do in a shark tank like flyweight, but it has left his future in question. He's still a deeply dangerous grappler and an extremely tough out--he's only suffered two stoppages in his career, and the only stoppage by strikes belongs to next title contender Kai Kara-France--but his ability to implement and enforce his gameplan in fights has been missing.

Manel Kape is not in the mood to be controlled. "Starboy" entered the UFC with a massive amount of hype, having just knocked the poo poo out of Japan's second-best bantamweight, Kai Asakura, and taken Rizin's world championship home with him. The world expected greatness, and so did the UFC, which is presumably why he had to fight top five contender Alexandre Pantoja immediately, who pretty soundly controlled him, and why instead of a tune-up he was next given top prospect and now-#7 Mateus Niolau, who took an incredibly close split decision from him. Just as quickly as the hype train had risen, it dissipated, and Manel Kape was consigned to the endless bucket of imports proven to be non-UFC calibre. And then he flying kneed Ode Osbourne and shoeshined Zhalgas Zhumagulov and took them both out in one round, and now the hype train is back, because we, the punchsports fans, are human goldfish.

Manel Kape by TKO. Rogério Bontorin is good, and his grappling is a definite threat to Kape on the ground, but he has to get him there first. Alexandre Pantoja did it, but Pantoja is a very, very good offensive wrestler. Bontorin is somewhat closer to 'pretty okay,' and a lot of his grappling advantages come from reversing opponents who take him down. Manel Kape is not going to take him down. He's going to punch him, and he's going to punch him a lot, and he's going to do it much faster than Bontorin is used to, and I think he'll wilt under the fire.

:piss:WELTERWEIGHT: Jack Della Maddalena (11-2) vs Ramazan Emeev (20-5):piss:
I'm a little surprised by this fight, to be honest. Jack Della Maddalena is the precise kind of fighter Dana White loves to developmentally coddle: Contender Series baby, highly-touted international prospect, disdains the philosophical concept of takedowns, focuses on throwing punches so he never has to worry about defending them. He's a stand and bang elemental who can sell extra tickets in Australia. And, weirdly, they don't really seem to care about protecting him. He wound up with an absolute jobber fight in his debut, but that's only because the genuinely good Warlley Alves had to pull out at the last minute.

There's no injury replacement this time around. Della Maddalena is booked to meet Ramazan "Gorets" Emeev, another standby in the seemingly endless procession of irritatingly tough Russian fighters who like to wrestle but are pretty good at everything. Emeev's 5-2 in the UFC after five years, with those only two losses coming against the deeply unjustly cut Anthony Rocco Martin and the solid if inconsistent Danny Roberts. Wrestling is the center of Emeev's game, but he's willing and able to trade punches and kicks and has more than once won fierce, mouthpiece-biting fist-wars.

Which is probably bad, here. Jack Della Maddalena punches people a lot. He has very, very good boxing for MMA, along with one of the most consistently irritating jabs in the sport, and while he almost never uses his judo background offensively, it makes it very hard to keep him grounded. Ramazan seems to have the better kicking game, and his best path to victory is using those kicks to keep Della Maddalena at bay between shooting doubles, but Jack's got almost half a foot of reach on him and Emeev has issues with getting sucked into brawls. I think those issues cost him this fight. Jack Della Maddalena by TKO.

PRELIMS: YOUR CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED ANNUAL JAKE MATTHEWS APPEARANCE
MIDDLEWEIGHT: Jacob Malkoun (6-1) vs Brendan Allen (18-5)
Jacob Malkoun has this inexplicable reputation as a banger of a fighter and I have to assume it's some level of national stereotyping as an Australian, because he's 2-1 in the UFC, both wins were dreadfully grinding grappling affairs that left the crowds showering him in boos. He likes to clinch against the cage and throw chipping shots, he likes to drag fights to the ground and hang out in half-guard, and he likes to win without getting hurt or taking much damage. Brendan "All In" Allen is a much more multifaceted fighter, with an array of striking, submission and wrestling victories under his belt, and he's much more experienced. His UFC tenure alone is longer than Malkoun's entire career.

On paper, Allen should win this fight. He's got better striking, he's a seasoned grappler and he's half a foot taller. He should be able to punt Malkoun in the ribs all night. But he's also overaggressive and has gotten taken down and controlled in the clinch by several fighters, and that's Malkoun's entire game. Jacob Malkoun wins by decision because it's been too long since we've been reminded that wrestling ruins everything.

:piss:FEATHERWEIGHT: Seung Woo Choi (10-4) vs Joshua Culibao (9-1-1):piss:
It's a battle of embattled prospects. Seung Woo Choi is a real fun kickboxer who used to train by climbing mountains and dreamed of joining the real fighters out in K-1 before deciding to graze on the lesser prairies of the UFC instead. He's 3-3 in the UFC, which is a little more understandable when you see those 3 were Movsar Evloev, Gavin Tucker and the always-tricky Alex Caceres, but the core likeness there is grappling deficiency. This is presumably why he's facing Josh Culibao, a featherweight champion out of Australia who has only attempted one takedown in the UFC, and that was after breaking his ankle in mid-fight and panicking. Culibao likes leg kicks and right hands, most preferably in that order. His first three UFC fights were also a loss, a draw and a win, creating a beautiful 1-1-1 that will tragically have to be destroyed.

And it's probably going to be replaced with a 1-2-1. Both men are totally capable of sparking one another, but I think Culibao tends a bit more towards brawling, and his tendency to punch out of clinch range could get him hurt by Choi's elbows in the pocket. Or they could just leg kick each other all night and get a decision no one is happy about. Either way, Seung Woo Choi gets a decision.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Steve Garcia (12-4) vs Hayisaer Maheshate (6-1)
Hayisaer Maheshate is yet another Contender Series winner, a Kazakh-by-way-of-China fighter who fits a 6' frame into the 155-pound weight class and likes punching but not grappling and is very happy for this opportunity from Dana White. Commentary on the Contender Series referred to him almost exclusively as just Maheshate, so my billing may be off. Maheshate actually got repeatedly lit up by his trial opponent, but said opponent was a real impressive undefeated striker and Maheshate wound up beating him thoroughly for the rest of the fight. Steve "Mean Machine" Garcia won a violent Contender Series knockout back in 2019 but that apparently wasn't enough to sign him yet, then they snatched him up the following year where he promptly got dominated by Luis Pena and nearly knocked out by Charlie Ontiveros like three times before winning a ground-and-pound victory anyway.

If you can figure out why the UFC is matching the chinny guy they didn't want against the long-punching marketable-in-China fighter they did, take a moment to reward yourself with the cool, relaxing sounds of Kenny Rogers. Hayisaer Maheshate by KO.

WELTERWEIGHT: Jake Matthews (17-5) vs André Fialho (16-4)
Jake Matthews has had a weird loving career. "The Celtic Kid" has been wrestling the poo poo out of people in the UFC since the Obama administration, and after nearly a decade and fifteen fights under the banner that have included things like outwrestling ADCC champions and dominating top ten fighter Li Jingliang and ending the legendary tenure of one Diego Sanchez, no one really knows who the gently caress he is. I theorize this is because people at one point saw him as a championship prospect, and upon realizing it was not to be, decided thinking of him at all was simply too painful. And thus, the UFC is attempting to cast him aside in favor of one of their shiniest new toys. André Fialho is trying his damnedest to be Donald Cerrone, preferably minus the bigotry. Fialho made his UFC debut as a late replacement at the end of January and this will already be his fourth UFC fight. He is a punchman. A really, really good punchman. His kicks and his jiu-jitsu are present and are summoned when necessary, but his money comes from his hands, as indicated in his two consecutive first-round knockouts.

This fight hinges entirely on Fialho's ability to sprawl. Jake Matthews is an indefatigable wrestler and will chain takedowns together all night, and make no mistake: He is fully aware he needs this fight on the ground. Matthews is by no means bad on the feet, but he's at a visible disadvantage here. We haven't seen Fialho have to really defend a prolonged wrestling assault yet, and Matthews was able to make a wrestling match with Kevin Lee competitive, and as much as I'd like another punch-based knockout, I have a bad feeling Jake Matthews wrestles his way to a decision.

BANTAMWEIGHT: Kang Kyung-ho (17-9) vs Danaa Batgerel (12-3)
Look at that, another striker vs grappler battle. Kang Kyung-ho is almost nine and a half years into his UFC tenure and has floated around the periphery of the top fifteen at bantamweight for the entire period, grappling and bothering the poo poo out of people with a high-control, low-offense style that has led to five of his ten UFC fights ending in split decisions. Danaa Batgerel is a Mongolian kickboxer with some terrifyingly crisp combinations and has a violent knockout over Brandon Davis by way of a 16-strike combination that included four elbows and a flying knee. He hits exceptionally frequently and he hits exceptionally hard.

And he's unfortunately fighting a considerably larger grappler who's been neutralizing strikers in the clinch for fifteen years. Kang Kyung-ho by decision.

WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT: Ni Liang (19-5) vs Silvana Gómez Juárez (10-4)
This is, in all likelihood, our UFC housecleaning fight for the night. Silvana Gómez Juárez wasn't an intentional talent scouting, but rather a last-minute replacement signed in 2021 thanks to COVID, and she promptly lost two straight UFC fights by first-round armbar. The UFC is matching her up with a marketable Chinese prospect in "Dragon Girl" Na Liang who has six wins by armbar. The logistics are not difficult to figure.

Juárez isn't a bad fighter, she's good at fighting long, forcing opponents to come to her and catching them as they try to engage. But that doesn't work well on the kind of pressure fighters and grapplers you find in the UFC and it especially doesn't work well when your opponent has almost half a foot of reach on you. Na Liang gets the submission.

WOMEN'S FEATHERWEIGHT: Ramona Pascual (6-3) vs Joselyne Edwards (10-4)
These women are 1-2 and 0-1 respectively in the UFC, which makes them top ten fighters in the UFC's women's featherweight division. This is particularly impressive for Edwards, who has never fought at 145 before. Despite being the fighter who HAS traditionally competed at featherweight, Ramona Pascual is giving up 4" of reach and, just, man, why are we here. I would love for women's featherweight to be real, but it's not and no one's investing the money into getting people to make it real. Ramona Pascual is a real women's featherweight and she's only actually beaten one person with a winning record, and that record was 2-0. Women's featherweight is so not real that when Joselyne Edwards gets controlled twice in a row at women's bantamweight she doesn't think "maybe I need to move down," she thinks, "I should go up a weight class, where the competition is easier." Women's featherweight is heavyweight if heavyweight had even less talent than it already does.

Joselyne Edwards by decision.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009

CarlCX posted:

But sometimes destiny is deferred.

Well now I'm pulling for the old man

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Glover Teixeira - old man strength in a young man's game.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
These pre-fight writeups are really drat good. Thanks for doing them so I can learn more than I ever wanted to know about women's featherweight.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

They really are. You're doing God's work, CarlCX!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think it was always crystal clear that MVP was a can crusher and any journeyman wrestler would hold him down for 15-25 minutes.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it was always crystal clear that MVP was a can crusher and any journeyman wrestler would hold him down for 15-25 minutes.

Didn’t he also get wrassled by Paul Daley, of all loving people?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

FishBowlRobot posted:

Didn’t he also get wrassled by Paul Daley, of all loving people?

thats how i remember the fight, but i sure as hell ain't gonna rewatch to confirm

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

just found out kape vs bontorin is off due to weight management issues for bonty

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Glubber

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That destiny bit was good writing and I appreciate your breakdowns a lot, my dude.

I’m here for the old man Glover reign. One of my former coaches was the fitness and conditioning trainer at The Pit before Chuck was a real big deal, and ended up having to leave because they were so skint that they had to let someone go just to stay afloat. He ended up building a z-league team in Montana, but he was always hype on Glover when we’d get together to watch tape or PPVs or whatever. Seeing him finally get the belt was neat :unsmith:

Then again, my other coach was a Sexyama superfan who also gave Sean O’Malley his stupid nickname. MMA is weird.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This randomly came up on my feed

https://twitter.com/DovySimuMMA/status/1535260394633273344?t=

"That's how stupid you are. Why would you do that." LMFAO

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
HOT SAUCE FOREVER

I dunno if that was the actual last line, or if it got cut off weirdly, but I’m sticking with it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

HOT SAUCE FOREVER

I dunno if that was the actual last line, or if it got cut off weirdly, but I’m sticking with it.

I'll spoil it since your head canon is better but dustin was yelling HOT SAUCE FOR EVERYBODY! :haw: cuz dustin rules :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Road to UFC Day 2 Report:
Eh.

Show 3
Horiuchi vs Kiwram pretty good
Lee vs Xie 36 second sub

Show 4
Adajar vs Kim good

Two shows combined total 3:08 to air 9 fights, so it's a fast watch. Only fight that was truly bad today was Seo vs. Knutsson which was the first fight of the night. But nothing was particularly great compared to the few of them that I enjoyed yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1535169683174866946