Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which is why they keep registering new accounts, so their IR is as low as the other newbies. if you just race rookies like normal you'll get matched against other people of your level (not rookies).

Its the people constantly making new accounts to kill rookies that are pretty shameful.

Not surprising at all that people 'smurf' in iRacing as well. Anything to not compete against people of your own skill level I guess.

Speaking of not winning much, the only win I have in iRacing was with my lovely old 360 controller before I got a wheel. It was an mx5 race and people kept crashing and rage quitting. My car was damaged too but I always finish my races regardless of what happens so I ended up first. :v: Too bad my iRating is still sub 1000 last time I played iRacing. I had a saftey rating of B at my peak in Ovals and C in road I think but I channelled James May every time I raced evidently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
they should kill their irating the same way i do, which is by: just playing non-rookie series and naturally sucking

i can somehow get up to like 1600 in vees but anything else i float around 1100 lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah when I did a lot more iracing there was some guy that I'd race against in every race who had something like 3500 races in 3 years. I feel like lots of times.he would just start and park to tank Irating.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

tater_salad posted:

Yeah when I did a lot more iracing there was some guy that I'd race against in every race who had something like 3500 races in 3 years. I feel like lots of times.he would just start and park to tank Irating.

That's protestable now, intentionally taking irating. Doing it repeatedly by signing up for races that you don't run is super obvious and a slam dunk protest.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fellblade posted:

No matter how good you get at sim racing, there’s always an alien who is way faster.

Obi wan kenobi (padawan helmet sim racing): theres always a faster 14 year old on a 10 year old laptop and g27

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There's always a faster eastern European at his kitchen table using a mouse to steer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am usink teelt controls!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boar It posted:

Not surprising at all that people 'smurf' in iRacing as well. Anything to not compete against people of your own skill level I guess.

Thing is, I’m not stuck in the split with them. They’re stuck in the split with me.

:unsmigghh:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Try looking at Twitch streamer Summit, who got into iRacing and loved it but once he got out of rookies he found he couldn’t reliably win races any more so months after starting iRacing he’s still exclusively racing rookie Mazdas when he could’ve easily been C class and running advanced by now if he could just handle not winning.
The reality of this situation is actually a lot funnier: He was beating his head against top split Miatas for like a month straight while practicing 8-10 hours a day. He would rarely win because the drivers in that split are insanely good at Miatas, but he was incredibly frustrated that he couldn't will his way into winning a lot.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The dude spent all his time hot lapping in practice and not much actual racing. He even had real life racing drivers coaching him and saying he needed to work on his racecraft.

Nope. Just doing more hot lapping.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Then he tried Ferrari fixed and lost all his iRating so ran back to rookie MX-5s.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s really funny to see professional head clickers try their hand at racing and eat poo poo.

Winning warzone rounds doesn’t translate to racing, turns out

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The problem is he's actually astoundingly good for a fresh out the box simracer, unfortunately he can't wrap his head around each car being a whole new ball game and irating not being a real ranking system as most games would have you understand it. The jump from 'here is a car I am good at' to 'here is a car I am bad at' with seemingly no correlation to irating is impossible for him to grasp as a normal thing to be worked through, every other game has taught the lesson that your rank is your rank and you'll be matched 'fairly' based on that.

It's like: he's not bad at *driving* so much as he's bad at encountering progression systems that don't reward you every step of the way.

e: can't wait for the next xQc simracing adventure where it's just this but 100x less patience and 100x more chat bans

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 8, 2022

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
There should be 20 MX-5s in the rookie cup at all times, I'm loving the carnage and not being all alone if you eat poo poo on the first lap.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I am weirdly enthralled by the Brazilian stock cars in Automobilista 2. Something about the short, winding tracks and a bunch of Toyota Corollas bumping butts and buzzing all over the place seems so fun to me.

It's just odd the things that still aren't in or working right - no voiceover for the spotter/engineer calls (you can turn them on, but without also turning on radio subtitles, they never seem to talk), and I can't for the loving life of me figure out how to actually SELECT an option while using the G923's d-pad to move around the menus, so I have to keep leaning forward to use the mouse. It sure is excellent in VR, though, and I just set up CrewChief for the calls which seems to work fuckin gangbusters.

I've been catching up on the discourse on AMS2, and they just expanded their big physics rework to a bunch of the Formula cars so I think it's a nice time to be getting into it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

I am weirdly enthralled by the Brazilian stock cars in Automobilista 2. Something about the short, winding tracks and a bunch of Toyota Corollas bumping butts and buzzing all over the place seems so fun to me.

It's just odd the things that still aren't in or working right - no voiceover for the spotter/engineer calls (you can turn them on, but without also turning on radio subtitles, they never seem to talk), and I can't for the loving life of me figure out how to actually SELECT an option while using the G923's d-pad to move around the menus, so I have to keep leaning forward to use the mouse. It sure is excellent in VR, though, and I just set up CrewChief for the calls which seems to work fuckin gangbusters.

I've been catching up on the discourse on AMS2, and they just expanded their big physics rework to a bunch of the Formula cars so I think it's a nice time to be getting into it.

Does AMS2 feature online AI? Barely any games seem to support that. Me and a friend bought rFactor 2 dirtcheap in order to race with AI but it is such a hassle to set up that we sort of lost momentum on that front.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It does! When you create a new online race, the opponent options let you set how big the grid is, how many human players to allow, and if you want to fill the rest with AI and their skill/aggression levels.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

It does! When you create a new online race, the opponent options let you set how big the grid is, how many human players to allow, and if you want to fill the rest with AI and their skill/aggression levels.

Oh nice. I wonder if that is due to AMS being based on rFactor code? So they sort of carried that over perhaps. I'll have to check it out once it goes on sale.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boar It posted:

Oh nice. I wonder if that is due to AMS being based on rFactor code? So they sort of carried that over perhaps. I'll have to check it out once it goes on sale.

AMS2 is not based on rfactor, it's based on Project CARS 2, which also has AI available in online races.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GutBomb posted:

AMS2 is not based on rfactor, it's based on Project CARS 2, which also has AI available in online races.

Ah I had no idea. I could have sworn that I heard AMS 2 (or maybe AMS 1?) is based on rfactor. Thanks for the info.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Boar It posted:

Ah I had no idea. I could have sworn that I heard AMS 2 (or maybe AMS 1?) is based on rfactor. Thanks for the info.

AMS1 is, Reiza was born as a loose collection of rF1 modders (the Formula Classic and Stock Car were both originally rF1 mods) so when they made the original Game Stock Car it was entirely on the rFactor engine and it remained like that up until AMS2. When you look back it's kinda ridiculous how much they were able to squeeze out of that engine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooooooh the 24 Hours of Le Mans is tomorrow! Does anyone know how you can actually watch it online though?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Ooooooh the 24 Hours of Le Mans is tomorrow! Does anyone know how you can actually watch it online though?

If you're in the US I think you have to use the Motortrend+ streaming service

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah motortrend even has a 7 day free trial so you can cancel it before you get billed the 5 bucks

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
In years past, many individual teams had onboards on YT or their team websites as well so you could watch all their cars zooming about. Think there's also a free radio broadcast and the official timing site to build a decent picture of what's going on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah motortrend even has a 7 day free trial so you can cancel it before you get billed the 5 bucks

Bonus is I think it forgets you after awhile. I went to sign up this year for something else and I feel like I got another free trial.

I do need to sub for it although I'll be busy doing all kinds of poo poo up to and including mayr local track watchin.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I got a G29 a few weeks back and tried iRacing for the first time this past weekend. This is so much better than AI racing holy poo poo. It's also really letting me know just how slow I am compared to people with more experience.

I managed my first race with only 1 incident but my second one I had 9 incidents by the 2nd lap because I qualified higher and was part of the huge pack of MX-5s going 8 million wide in the first turn. I feel like I learned more from that experience than I did from most of the first race, though since I actually got to spend more time around other people.

I hadn't played any racing games with a wheel since GT3 on my PS2 and I hate that I waited so long to try it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Abisteen posted:

I got a G29 a few weeks back and tried iRacing for the first time this past weekend. This is so much better than AI racing holy poo poo. It's also really letting me know just how slow I am compared to people with more experience.

I managed my first race with only 1 incident but my second one I had 9 incidents by the 2nd lap because I qualified higher and was part of the huge pack of MX-5s going 8 million wide in the first turn. I feel like I learned more from that experience than I did from most of the first race, though since I actually got to spend more time around other people.

I hadn't played any racing games with a wheel since GT3 on my PS2 and I hate that I waited so long to try it.

yeah you'll need to learn not only how to race the track but pay attention to other drivers and anticipate their stupidity etc. I can honestly say that iRacing has increased my ability to drive on the road because I've gained some defensive driving skills of looking at other drivers and anticipating if a driver ahead is driving like a moron identify they are a risk to my wellbeing.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Never focus on the bumper of the car directly ahead of you or you will just follow them and do what they do. Look ahead where you want to go, be aware of what's going on 5 cars ahead of you so you can spot the wreck early and avoid it. Took me a long time to learn that and apply it consistently.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Surviving Rookies is as applicable now as it ever was

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm still trying to find the balance between racing too hard and tagging someone and meekly waving everyone through as soon as they shape to overtake. I'm at SoF ~1400 so people are noticeably better at racing than in the ~1250 rookie zone where just staying out of everyone's way and waiting for the wreck is a decent tactic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I'm still trying to find the balance between racing too hard and tagging someone and meekly waving everyone through as soon as they shape to overtake. I'm at SoF ~1400 so people are noticeably better at racing than in the ~1250 rookie zone where just staying out of everyone's way and waiting for the wreck is a decent tactic.

I think if your pace is close and you aren't making mechanical mistakes, just defending the inside and forcing people to take a horrible line through the corner is generally enough to prevent a lot of passes or at least give you the time for someone behind them to start making their life complicated. On the offense I still think filling the mirrors, waiting for a mistake, and parking it on the apex are valid strats.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I’ve never driven manual transmission in a racing game but want to get into iRacing. Any good beginner resources?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You can just start with autoclutch if you don't want to deal with heel-toe right away. I still use autoclutch because even on my CSPv3 I don't find the clutch feel convincing, plus my ankles are hosed and the sideways heel-toe movement hurts too much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

what’s a clutch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’ve never driven manual transmission in a racing game but want to get into iRacing. Any good beginner resources?

Most cars in iRacing only need you to shift up and down with maybe only a lift or blip of the throttle. Just jump in and start wheeling things around.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GhostDog posted:

You can just start with autoclutch if you don't want to deal with heel-toe right away. I still use autoclutch because even on my CSPv3 I don't find the clutch feel convincing, plus my ankles are hosed and the sideways heel-toe movement hurts too much.

I've driven manual for ~26 years now, and every car I've owned during that time (except one I had for a short bit) has been a manual transmission. I still can't shift properly with a clutch in sim racing, the feel is just wrong.

Plus at this point I only have my rally shifter and paddle shifters, and aside from using it just for starts, it feels super hosed up to me to use a clutch with paddle shifters. I would agree there's no shame in autoclutch, even if you (probably) lose some minor amount of performance.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I dunno if there's a good 'how to shift ' mode in any racing sim. Lots of cars are sequential (even Mazda is now) or just require the clutch to get moving. Mostly it's blipas and shift. I'm sure there's some good beginners guides to manual shifting for iracing.

Keep in mind you'd need to send many hundreds of dollars on a pedal that comes even close to driving a manual transmission road car, it's a lot more about 'feel' of the clutch which isn't easy to do on a computer.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Even in the cars that need it, which is basically none, there's no complexity to it. Push the pedal in, tap/pull the paddle, release pedal.

e; also be in the discord and we can explain everything you ever wanted to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There are a handful of things that are useful to know about shifting in iRacing but for the most part it's "put it on auto clutch and press shift up/down as needed".

Specifics: most cars don't shift with a clutch anyway so it doesn't matter. Next level down of assistance is Auto Blip mode which takes care of just the required rev matching when downshifting: some cars again handle this themselves, but otherwise it's just "if your engine speed is too high the downshift won't go" and you'll probably pick it up as you go along.

There are a couple of cars where you can go full on heel+toe-I-have-three-effective-feet but that only matters if you want to be a true god tier esports guy or specifically want "the experience". I haven't used a clutch in sims in years other than for standing starts.