Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Love release launch base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also the vanilla 3 ending credits, if they give 3 different credits than &Knuckles this time around.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lawsuits are an expensive and time-consuming process, so there may not be a 100% specific legal reasons for Sonic 3 to have spent a decade+ in a weird limbo. One threats of litigation picked up, sega just figured it wasn’t worth the effort.

With Origins requiring a lot of work anyways to rebuild Sonic 3 in the new engine, and prototype music as ready replacements, it’s not a stretch to think they took a bit of extra effort to replace the songs just to be safe.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The unfinished super sonic theme from 3 is a banger and I hope they put it in the game

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm one of the people who won't buy it without the original music. These games, especially 3, were my childhood and I played them over and over. This is like re-releasing Super Mario and then going oh whoops we have to replace the underground music with something else, sorry. It's a big part of the experience, it's what I know :(

At least sonic 3 AIR still exists.

edit: and to add I think the release Carnival Night music is bad, but I still want it because thats the one I grew up listening to

Overbite fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 10, 2022

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sega has published games with music they didn't finish clearing the rights to before, like some early copies of Sonic Spinball having the original Sonic 1 theme, which is also not owned by Sega. It really could have been another screw-up they only fixed in the PC version.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Carnival Night
Ice Cap
Launch Base

Mm. These three go hard, but if that’s the extent of it then I don’t mind.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The credits music was Stranger in Moscow and apparently the Competition menu music was also MJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWSnhmftzk

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s it? It may not be as big of a loss as I thought then. Ice Cap kicks rear end but the other 2 are some of the lesser ones imo.
It’s also

Knuckles’ Sonic 3 Theme
Sonic 3 Miniboss Theme
Competition menu
Credits

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I have just seen that it is 60AUD to repurchase some old 2d sonic games with a few QOL romhacks added in but some of the good songs missing

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I have just seen that it is 60AUD to repurchase some old 2d sonic games with a few QOL romhacks added in but some of the good songs missing

It's a native port, not a ROM hack. The widescreen support especially needs to be as such given how dependent the genesis game was on it's camera position and dimensions. You can't just ROM hack that (not cleanly anyway, people have but it never comes out quite perfect), and even with code that's a lot of work to do for S3&K.

On top of that, it looks like they've improved the animations in the S3&K cutscenes (angel islands intro has knuckles animate a lot more for example), plus they have entirely new animated cutscenes linking the games together (serving as intros/outros) in the anniversary mode, with Ian Flynn and Tyson Hesse involved.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 10, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd make my comparison to it being a criterion release of the classic games but, frankly, Sega needs the wakeup call on their arse marketing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anyone who pays 60 bucks for old Genesis games deserves to pay 60 bucks for old Genesis games.

"But it has animations!"

Cool! They're gonna be free on Youtube in a week!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anyone who pays 60 bucks for old Genesis games deserves to pay 60 bucks for old Genesis games.

"But it has animations!"

The Headcanon ports are really nice and not quite just old genesis games.

They should have just released 3&K for $5 just like they did CD, 1, 2. And with the original soundtrack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Listen pal, I'll get to play all the good Sonic games on my Switch. Frankly, Sega is doing is a solid by not charging $500.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

They should have just released 3&K for $5 just like they did CD, 1, 2. And with the original soundtrack.

They would have released it standalone with the original soundtrack back when the other ports were made if they could have.

They only had Jun Senoue dig out his old Genesis sequencing hardware because it was the only way to get the game included in this collection.

Brad Buxer and/or The Michael Jackson estate have prevented releases by either forbidding it or by asking for a fortune in licensing. More likely the Jackson estate because S3 rereleases coincidentally stopped happening shortly after Michael passed away.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Twerk from Home posted:

Still ain't worth 60 bucks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good thing it doesn't cost that

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

imagine being like "Sonic Frontiers? Day 1 buy!" but "Origins not having original Sonic 3 music is a deal breaker" I can at least respect not wanting to buy either.

My excuse is I've been saying I wanted the Whitehead ports on PC for awhile now. There's worse ways I can spend that money.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Frontiers is a new game I don’t already own five other copies of is the difference

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

but then why would the music still be the deal breaker?

also I probably already own 5 bad sonic games, don't need another on day 1

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The lack of the original music sucks, but:

1. As mentioned there's going to be a mod to restore it into the game by day 2
2. I just really want a way to replay Sonic 3&K on PC where Sonic doesn't randomly snag on the level geometry like he does in the Steam Genesis ROM

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Will it be in 4k on PC/PS/Xbox?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Oxyclean posted:

but then why would the music still be the deal breaker?

also I probably already own 5 bad sonic games, don't need another on day 1

I was willing to pay $40 to play good versions of 1, 2, 3&K, and CD on my switch. But if there's reason I'd rather play 3&K elsewhere then id just be paying $40 for 1, 2, and CD which is a bit much

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Pretty wild that the Sonic 3 beta had the prototype music & might have gave Sega an out to re-release Sonic 3 & not pay Brad Buxer royalties.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of I forget, will we be able to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately in Origins if we so choose or is it just S3K by itself?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

All indications so far point to no separate Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Maybe they will be bonuses but as far as we know they are only available in the merged S3&K.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Honestly the merged S3K wouldn't bother me but it means we'll likely get the shortened LBZ fight which is a crime imo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baggot posted:

All indications so far point to no separate Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Maybe they will be bonuses but as far as we know they are only available in the merged S3&K.

That’s fine as I pretty much only play the game as S3K these days anyway but I was just curious (maybe they could at least port Knuckles’ special intro from SK into Sonic 3 proper though like Sonic 3 Complete did)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's a shame these 30 year old single player games will stay priced at £50 for all eternity and will never drop in price, otherwise I'd buy them for say... £20.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm going to buy it on day 1

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
none of the music was ever by michael jackson

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Your Michael jackson

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stranger in Moscow staff roll kicks rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i will still buy the collection, probably multiple times even
it will take ten seconds for the steam version to be cracked and music replacement mods to be released

AIR is nice but it isn’t as transformative as the taxman treatment

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Overbite posted:

Your Michael jackson

Reported

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

"But it has animations!"

If they're paying that then they've got more pressing problems.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Big the Cat in the new sonic cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTSfcptADA0

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i am going to buy sonic origins for $40 and enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cartoon of the year