Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MacheteZombie posted:

lol what can go wrong with everyone re-registering right before the sale starts

If Shopify can keep up with thousands of horny dudes constantly F5'ing VinSyn's site, Shopify can handle Severin's re-registers. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Plus it’s helped that the box set sale part isn’t until Saturday (rest of the site is Friday/22 minutes from now) so the rush for the folk horror set for late buyers won’t be immediate

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
grats to severin finally figuring it out

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

grats to severin finally figuring it out

lol yea, that's what I said

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Severin not already being on Shopify or WooCommerce and instead just constantly trying to keep their garbage site band-aided together through every sale says so much about the company.

If you’re an e-tailer, it’s never worth trying to use a custom site without any dedicated support. Never.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Hello physical media thread, if I want the best 4k discs of Lord of the Rings with both versions, is it this one? https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Extended-Theatrical/dp/B08KQBYM1Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=IR3YQWZD7UGK

The best overall LOTR set would be that, plus the remastered Blu-ray set for the supplements (and the same remasters in HD):
https://www.amazon.com/Picture-Tril...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Half the price of the Middle Earth deluxe set, plus you get both cuts in 4K and HD with Atmos on either format, as well as all the supplements. Of course, if you already have the original extended Blu set, only the remasters and Atmos are upgraded.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is that Blu ray set different than the Blu ray set that originally came out for the extended?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Make sure to consider if you want the 4k set, as there's a number of issues. Personally I'll stick with my Blu-rays, but judge for yourself. This is an excellent and reasoned breakdown of the set, with screencaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Z58uiwcME

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
DNR is always a no sale

stop airbrushing movies

also: stop changing the grading after the fact too, and leave the original aspect ratio alone (this one is pretty much aimed at storaro)

the fact that we need to do research on anything that isn't shot on black and white film stock to see if they hosed around or not is the biggest drawback to collecting imo

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 10, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MacheteZombie posted:

Sleazy horror on your bluray shelf is the best

Well there's "sleazy" (I have plenty of that on my shelf already) but then there's "movie about a guy who flamethrowers naked women in his creepy torture dungeon".

CPL593H posted:

I don't think it's a very good movie if we're being honest. I was just saying what to expect from it and if someone likes Maniac or similar films they'd like Don't Go Into The House.

I mean I like both versions of Maniac, but I wouldn't have either one on my shelf either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Lord of the Rings UHDs fall into that category where they have both positives and negatives, and you do have to weigh those out especially if you already own the blu rays and you'd be double-dipping. I think due to the benefits of HDR, and the corrections they made to the color grading on Fellowship, the UHDs are the way to go overall.

But yea we've discussed this before how UHD as a format can be tougher to evaluate because most films are gonna get a pretty big boost from HDR, so that's a given. So you'll get some releases that have flaws but at the same time it's still gonna be the best the film has looked due to that HDR. And of course HDR isn't infallible either, it can be overcranked to the detriment of the film. I do think that the lessons learned from mistakes made early in the blu ray era have benefited UHDs though, and the overall percentage of quality UHD releases is a lot higher than it was for blu ray.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That’s why I liked that the release they put out for UHD was JUST the movies and both versions of them. Made it a no brainer to complement my Blu-ray’s.

Raiders Steelbook tomorrow, that’ll be fun to throw on and show my gal this weekend.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

worms butthole guy posted:

Is that Blu ray set different than the Blu ray set that originally came out for the extended?
The original set came in a nicer-looking box.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It's not a deal breaker for me but the 4K release of Heat will not include Atmos

edit; a few pages ago someone asked what issues PTA has with 4K and I cannot speak for him but since 4K has become just-about-ubiquitous he has only released two films; Phantom Thread (which got a 4K release) and Licorice Pizza. Apparently PTA said on a podcast somewhere that LP will not be getting a 4K release. Of course, this is just me wildly speculating and I cannot speak for PTA but I suspect that that has something to do with wanting LP to look like a 70s movie. I know that movie images had great quality in the 70s but, you know what I'm talking about.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 10, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hippo posted:

It's not a deal breaker for me but the 4K release of Heat will not include Atmos
The audio track on the Blu-Ray already sounds incredible, so they could just lift that one for the 4K and I'll be happy. I watched that Blu-Ray the other night and oh my god, those gun sounds :magical:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

edit; a few pages ago someone asked what issues PTA has with 4K and I cannot speak for him but since 4K has become just-about-ubiquitous he has only released two films; Phantom Thread (which got a 4K release) and Licorice Pizza. Apparently PTA said on a podcast somewhere that LP will not be getting a 4K release. Of course, this is just me wildly speculating and I cannot speak for PTA but I suspect that that has something to do with wanting LP to look like a 70s movie. I know that movie images had great quality in the 70s but, you know what I'm talking about.

Pretty sure we had a poster say something a while back about working on a PTA project in some capacity and that he'd said something about not being a fan of the 4k format. I may be misremembering that though.

My own un-educated guess is just that releasing his previous films on UHD would be something he would want to have direct control over and be hands-on with, but he's been consistently working on actually making movies so he hasn't had time or the desire to prioritize that over directing new stuff.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Not the person in question, but I suspect PTA's whole thing about 4K is that he doesn't want it for home video formats as he believes that films should be viewed in the theater, and to give that amount of quality to a home viewing situation would be 1. cheapening the experience of something that should be viewed in a theater, and 2. ceding some amount of power and control to the viewer, which some filmmakers (and studios, especially) don't like.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Basebf555 posted:

The Lord of the Rings UHDs fall into that category where they have both positives and negatives, and you do have to weigh those out especially if you already own the blu rays and you'd be double-dipping. I think due to the benefits of HDR, and the corrections they made to the color grading on Fellowship, the UHDs are the way to go overall.

I haven't owned any of them since DVD. Hopefully it'll end up feeling okay on the balance.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of Mr Anderson and his latest film, I just got my copy in from the UK, which has a nice slipbox (not slipcover) and art cards. I also added another two titles to my Gasper Noé collection

I got the poster for Licorice Pizza from the US DVD I picked up last month. "Why DVD?" I figured there was an outside chance that the poster would be bigger, since the DVD package is bigger. It was not :pwn:

At least the artwork is bigger/less cropped. It didn't even come with a digital copy, sad.

Here are exploded product shots from the manufacturers.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Should've taken bigger pictures imo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It doesn't even have a Blu-ray.com listing yet, but the French-based Re:Voir is releasing a near-complete box set of Jonas Mekas' "Diaries, Notes, and Sketches" films.

https://re-voir.com/shop/en/jonas-m...ekas&results=90

Eight discs, book on the films, set of postcards, and a 16mm film strip! Only cost $114 shipped to the US for me. Even neater is that it was a joint effort with the Lithuanian Film Centre.

Happy Hippo posted:

Collateral doesn't have Atmos either, so he might just not be fond of remixes or even the format. I'm surprised he's not into UHD since Phantom Thread is one of the best-looking releases on the format. And Sony has included Punch-Drunk Love on their UHD polls, so there's definitely a 4K master out there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Inland Empire 4K next year

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1535452323627077633

pwn
May 27, 2004

Wasn't Inland shot on loving SD video? What the hell?

Seriously people get brainworms for the new shiny format and don't consider if something actually should be on 4k.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just saw the restoration of this in a theater last month. It was great! I don't know if I'll be able to get through it again next year. Inland Empire feels like the kind of movie I watch once every handful of years. I'll probably still get the UHD when it comes out, though.

pwn posted:

Seriously people get brainworms for the new shiny format and don't consider if something actually should be on 4k.
The 4K restoration process was wild. IIRC it was like SD upscaled to HD then downscaled to SD then AI upscaled to 4K or something crazy like that. It looked really good in the theater, though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

The 4K restoration process was wild. IIRC it was like SD upscaled to HD then downscaled to SD then AI upscaled to 4K or something crazy like that.

Yep

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Watched my copy of Thriller: A Cruel Picture. Restoration looks beautiful and the movie was better than I was expecting but man, all those overcranked shots. Lol, someone was looking to pad out that runtime.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Dang, was hoping it was coming sooner. Been waiting to watch this one finally.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

It doesn't even have a Blu-ray.com listing yet, but the French-based Re:Voir is releasing a near-complete box set of Jonas Mekas' "Diaries, Notes, and Sketches" films.

https://re-voir.com/shop/en/jonas-m...ekas&results=90

Eight discs, book on the films, set of postcards, and a 16mm film strip! Only cost $114 shipped to the US for me. Even neater is that it was a joint effort with the Lithuanian Film Centre.

Collateral doesn't have Atmos either, so he might just not be fond of remixes or even the format. I'm surprised he's not into UHD since Phantom Thread is one of the best-looking releases on the format. And Sony has included Punch-Drunk Love on their UHD polls, so there's definitely a 4K master out there.

Oh. Thanks for the recommendation. And here I thought June would be easier on my wallet. :)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

lol what can go wrong with everyone re-registering right before the sale starts

Websites need to stop making it mandatory to have an account to buy poo poo. Especially if they accept Paypal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Well there's "sleazy" (I have plenty of that on my shelf already) but then there's "movie about a guy who flamethrowers naked women in his creepy torture dungeon".

The best reason to get Don’t Go In The House is to get this banger in crystal-clear audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_6XJMBRjh4

I think the shirt-buying scene is long enough that it gets through almost the whole thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got the nun box. I looked at a bunch of other movies on the website, but they all looked pretty bad. To be honest, it was starting to make me rethink buying the nun box.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stuff I'd definitely recommend from Severin (if I don't list it here it doesn't mean I think it's bad, almost all of the rest I haven't seen or don't remember if I did; I also have the nun box, the Quinqui set, and the Adamson, Milligan and Lee Eurocrypt sets but haven't had time to dive in yet):

Out of the Blue
All the Haunts be Ours folk horror set
The Fourth Victim
Blood for Dracula
Santa Sangre
Demonia
Aenigma
Lenzi/Baker set
All the Colors of the Dark
Zombie 3
Threads
Burial Ground

pwn posted:

Speaking of Mr Anderson and his latest film, I just got my copy in from the UK, which has a nice slipbox (not slipcover) and art cards. I also added another two titles to my Gasper Noé collection

I got the poster for Licorice Pizza from the US DVD I picked up last month. "Why DVD?" I figured there was an outside chance that the poster would be bigger, since the DVD package is bigger. It was not :pwn:

At least the artwork is bigger/less cropped. It didn't even come with a digital copy, sad.

Here are exploded product shots from the manufacturers.

I hope/think you'll love the Noe films! I love all three of those gets but Lux Aeterna's flashing lights make it the least likely for me to rewatch lol, if there's one thing I wish he'd show restraint on it's that

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 11, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

pwn posted:

I saw the new 4k in theaters and it's awesome, actually.

The biggest boost is what they did to the sound design, but the SD converted to 4k gives the whole aesthetic an even weirder, more surreal texture. It looks really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I went crazy and got the Folk Horror box, the Nun box, and the Lenzi/Baker box.

I was going to just get the one box, but the other two are the lowest prices I've seen, so gently caress it.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Did I miss the box set sale? I don't see them on sale on the site

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Did I miss the box set sale? I don't see them on sale on the site

No, there is a box set category right below the main sale. I just got the Milligan box.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet picked up the folk horror set. Anything in particular in that set I should check out first

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Pre-ordered everything everywhere and eternal sunshine uhds in the same order. Just felt right

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sweet picked up the folk horror set. Anything in particular in that set I should check out first

Eyes of Fire, Leptrica and Alison's Birthday were my favorites from the set. Viy is also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Viy