Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon at least 20 times. Love that movie. Hero also great. House of Flying Daggers also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good wuxia to watch. Like if you could only pick one

Also in the mood for some Indian bro comedy suggestions like Three Idiots and Delhi Belly

Last Hurrah for Chivalry, one of John Woo's earliest films and one of his few Wuxia films. English dub only though.

People call me Pray, because when someone touches my sword, I pray when I kill them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Upsidads posted:

Mad Max Fury road logging on

one of the best movies ever made

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ong Bak fuckin owns. Watch all of them right now

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

lament.cfg posted:

You should watch How To with John Wilson if you haven't yet. It's a pretty perfect blend of Joe Pera and Nathan for You.

To everyone here, I highly advise screening the How To Cover Your Chair episode at your next family gathering.

Fun for all ages, and there's cats!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

pospysyl posted:

I hope you see another movie someday.

I hope you stop being a pretentious rear end in a top hat someday.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Papercut posted:

The bus scene was the only part of Shang Chi that I enjoyed at all and it was in like the first 10% of the movie.

The martial arts stuff and even the family drama stuff was great but I tuned out when it got to the cgi extravaganza at the end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Field Mousepad posted:

Ong Bak fuckin owns. Watch all of them right now

Add Tom Yum Goong to that list

One of the best single take fights in all action movies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talking of being disappointed by things that goons hyped to death, RRR did not do a whole lot for me :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

precision posted:

talking of being disappointed by things that goons hyped to death, RRR did not do a whole lot for me :shrug:
It did really start to lag for me, and by the childhood flashback i was kinda exhausted BUT i did still love it
Honestly the Jesus Christ Superstar rear end whipping song brought a tear to my eye

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

mcmagic posted:

one of the best movies ever made

Facts. Fury Road is infinitely watchable.

The Raid 1 & 2 combined are probably my fave action movies ever tho.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is a few weeks out yet, but the trailer just dropped and it's about my hometown so figured I'd share it now. True crime doc about the Beatrice Six, a group of individuals who through lengthy police interrogations were convinced they carried out the 1985 rape and murder of a 68 year old grandmother. They didn't actually commit the crime, and were decades later exonerated through dna evidence and won a nearly $30m lawsuit against the county. One of my best friends is featured in the trailer, so that is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXPYl-R_oWY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Enos Cabell posted:

who through lengthy police interrogations were convinced they carried out the 1985 rape and murder of a 68 year old grandmother.

Alright that’s going on the watch list

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Alright that’s going on the watch list

It's wild, one of them to this day still believes she did it even though it's been conclusively proven she wasn't even there. Brains are something else.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Enos Cabell posted:

It's wild, one of them to this day still believes she did it even though it's been conclusively proven she wasn't even there. Brains are something else.

This is perfect timing because I recently read articles about how police interrogators used brainwashing techniques to gaslight suspects into thinking maybe they committed crimes and can’t remember because their mind blanked in the heat of the moment

Absolute hell

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

I hope you see another movie someday.

:agreed:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Field Mousepad posted:

Ong Bak fuckin owns.

Hell yeah brother

Field Mousepad posted:

Watch all of them right now

Wait hold on a sec

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tom Yum Goong is great and all, and when it works it really fuckin works but as a whole it's not as strong as Ong Bak. Like the tower fight is better than anything in Ong Bak but the setting is weak, there's no atmosphere, a couple of the fights (look I loved him as rictus erectus but any scene with Nathan Jones is rough) are dull, and the connective tissue just isn't there.

It reminds me of The Raid: Redemption vs Raid 2: Berandal. There are moments in raid 2 that are better than anything in the first movie but there's a lot that's much worse too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tom Yum Goong is great and all, and when it works it really fuckin works but as a whole it's not as strong as Ong Bak. Like the tower fight is better than anything in Ong Bak but the setting is weak, there's no atmosphere, a couple of the fights (look I loved him as rictus erectus but any scene with Nathan Jones is rough) are dull, and the connective tissue just isn't there.

It reminds me of The Raid: Redemption vs Raid 2: Berandal. There are moments in raid 2 that are better than anything in the first movie but there's a lot that's much worse too.

I agree but I feel like that stair fight still needs to be seen

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

shang chi was more weightless mcu trash fights. no joke Titans has the best super hero fight choreography, especially the robin fights.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Look, I also think the CGI extravaganza sucks and makes the movie boring and lovely overall. The bus scene and the scaffolding scene, however, have great choreography and some impressive athleticism from Simu Liu. If you're talking poo poo about those scenes, I do think you should give them another watch. We just don't get fist fight scenes that are as well composed anymore, especially not in a major blockbuster. 16:00 and 38:00. gently caress me for liking things, I guess.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Google Butt posted:

shang chi was more weightless mcu trash fights. no joke Titans has the best super hero fight choreography, especially the robin fights.

Teen Titans yes?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I Love That For You is fun. It’s not amazing but it’s good enough. Vanessa Bayer is great and it’s nice to see Molly Shannon again.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Upsidads posted:

Teen Titans yes?

Yeah but the show is just called "Titans"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Titans season 3 was insane for how much it throws at you plot-wise in the first 2-3 episodes. Wish it kept up that pace but I still recommend it if you have HBO Max

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah it's a fun show imo

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I Love That For You is fun. It’s not amazing but it’s good enough. Vanessa Bayer is great and it’s nice to see Molly Shannon again.

Molly Shannon is wonderful in The Other Two as well recently.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

re: Shang Chi. I thought it was just okay, however I'm really happy my dude from Kim's Convenience is making it big.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I had no idea of this For All Mankind series (probably because it was on Apple+), but goddamn it's good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glottis posted:

Look, I also think the CGI extravaganza sucks and makes the movie boring and lovely overall. The bus scene and the scaffolding scene, however, have great choreography and some impressive athleticism from Simu Liu. If you're talking poo poo about those scenes, I do think you should give them another watch. We just don't get fist fight scenes that are as well composed anymore, especially not in a major blockbuster. 16:00 and 38:00. gently caress me for liking things, I guess.
The bus scene was good but that was like the first 5 seconds of the movie and it just progressively got worse after that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pingiivi posted:

I had no idea of this For All Mankind series (probably because it was on Apple+), but goddamn it's good.

Its so fantastic. It's easily the best show on Apple TV, I don't understand how it doesn't get more recognition.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Its so fantastic. It's easily the best show on Apple TV, I don't understand how it doesn't get more recognition.

i think people still have Battlestar Galactica fatigue is the only thing i can think of

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im enjoying the new adam sandler basketball movie. its very lighthearted compared to the last adam sandler movie I watched. lots of uplifting moments and sports training montages

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The director's father is Philadelphia's second most prominent and most respected public artist, as well as someone who is extremely mentally unwell and a serial harasser.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Without spoiling too much it didn’t really stick the landing for me, there was a deus ex machina and then the celebratory ending felt unearned. But I wasn’t paying super close attention

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Everything seems bad after that Severance finale. I stood up and yelled at the TV more than once, and I wasn't even drunk.

Next best thing I can find on Apple TV seems to be The Shrink Next Door, maybe Prehistoric Planet

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
How is the Shrink Next Door?

I listened to the podcast and it kind of sucked and was deeply annoying, but it seems like a more fictional, comedy version of it could be alright.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

its pretty stressful actually. but you'll completely forget that its with two comedic actors and be totally into it and then they'll hit you with something funny

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I just got really burned out on the framing of the podcast. It's pretty questionable at times. Stuff like "Well, yeah, his sister removed a bunch of the inheritance from the safety deposit boxes but she was just doing that to get his attention. Really he deserved it for being a bad brother."

Does it just focus on the shrink and the guy? That'd probably work a lot better. The story was good when it had a narrow focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Does it just focus on the shrink and the guy? That'd probably work a lot better. The story was good when it had a narrow focus.

yes