Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Tenet was a fun action movie with poo poo sound mixing, I thought. Some cool scenes and a plot that's different from the usual stuff that comes out monthly. Wasn't going to revolutionize anything though, and you really get that feeling that Nolan felt he was creating something that would survive the test of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Breetai posted:

Frankly Nolan should've called it quits after Inception. Everything since has been frustrating to watch at best.(though I haven't seen Dunkirk)

good news, dunkirk sucks too

sound mixing was so unbelievably terrible that most of the dialogue was incomprehensible

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

Tenet was a fun action movie with poo poo sound mixing, I thought. Some cool scenes and a plot that's different from the usual stuff that comes out monthly. Wasn't going to revolutionize anything though, and you really get that feeling that Nolan felt he was creating something that would survive the test of time.

All of Nolan's movies suffer from this. I guess Momento didn't as far as I remember but the DK trilogy sound levels are insane.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is it overrated? I've literally never seen a positive review of it.

There was a slew of people lining up around the block to suck the movie's dick, mostly while loudly proclaiming that you definitely needed to watch it several times to get it thanks to Nolan's amazing genius as a director.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

All of Nolan's movies suffer from this. I guess Momento didn't as far as I remember but the DK trilogy sound levels are insane.

I think, without any evidence to back it up, that Nolan is somehow hearing impaired.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OPAONI posted:

I think, without any evidence to back it up, that Nolan is somehow hearing impaired.

I guess. But if that were the case, you'd think he'd crank up the dialogue. I can't watch any of his movies without my sound remote next to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Maybe he's also got that brain thing where he can memorize the dialog perfectly. He wrote and directed it, he already knows every line perfectly so he doesn't need to actually hear the dialog clearly to understand it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Breetai posted:

There was a slew of people lining up around the block to suck the movie's dick, mostly while loudly proclaiming that you definitely needed to watch it several times to get it thanks to Nolan's amazing genius as a director.
I think for the term "overrated" to have any meaning at all, there needs to be a consensus opinion because even the worst poo poo in the world has rabid fanboys overrating it :v:

OPAONI posted:

I want to say I saw an interview where someone who'd worked with him said the sound mixing was like that because he thought it was "more realistic".

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

OPAONI posted:

Nolan's a big ol baby about The Theater Experience and hates that plebes watch his films on televisions at home. The sound mixing is only intended to work in theaters with high dynamic range sound systems played at ear shattering volumes for maximum ~*immersion*~.

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't watch any of his movies without my sound remote next to me.

To be fair, this describes like 90% of action/blockbuster movies played in stereo. I finally broke down and got a soundbar that let me crank dialogue channels and everything is much better. Nolan is the worst about it though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lol just crank the volume to the maximum setting.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Nolan's a big ol baby about The Theater Experience and hates that plebes watch his films on televisions at home. The sound mixing is only intended to work in theaters with high dynamic range sound systems played at ear shattering volumes for maximum ~*immersion*~.

It was really cool for the first dive bombing scene in Dunkirk. That poo poo was terrifying.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pilchenstein posted:

I think for the term "overrated" to have any meaning at all, there needs to be a consensus opinion because even the worst poo poo in the world has rabid fanboys overrating it :v:

I want to say I saw an interview where someone who'd worked with him said the sound mixing was like that because he thought it was "more realistic".

I believe I read that interview too. Just because it's more realistic doesn't mean it will make for better storytelling.

(This is coming from a person that liked watching Tenet).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like anyone who uses background music and foley has no place talking about realism in sound.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

good news, dunkirk sucks too

sound mixing was so unbelievably terrible that most of the dialogue was incomprehensible

Aside from the soundmixing, the sense of scale in Dunkirk was also pretty garbage. It's supposed to portray one of the largest evacuations in military history, but what was actually in the movie looked more like the local YMCA's beach day. So Nolan dislikes CGI and wants to do as much as possible in camera, fair enough. But if you can't rustle up more than a few hundred extras and refuse to use the one tool that could let you convey the real scale of things, that's seems less like being principled and more like just being overly full of yourself and your ~*~vision~*~.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Android Apocalypse posted:

I believe I read that interview too. Just because it's more realistic doesn't mean it will make for better storytelling.

(This is coming from a person that liked watching Tenet).

Wait, did you like Tenet or did you like watching Tenet? There’s an important distinction.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess. But if that were the case, you'd think he'd crank up the dialogue. I can't watch any of his movies without my sound remote next to me.

I wonder if it's not just him, but sound mixing in general in modern movies. Most movies I've seen over like the past decade have horrible mixing where the music & sound effects are BLASTING but voices are whisper quiet (unless there's no background noise). I think I heard something about studios not bothering to change up the audio for people using home setups, so it always ends up sounding off-balance & lovely coming from a home theater setup vs. IMAX or a regular theater.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Wait, did you like Tenet or did you like watching Tenet? There’s an important distinction.

liked watching, didn't like listening

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

I definitely liked watching it, as I took the risk of seeing it in n a theater during the pandemic (there was only 2 other people there and we all sat super far apart).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The last Nolan I saw without captions on was Interstellar in an Imax theatre and I didn't have any problems with the dialogue there, so anecdotally confirmed?

Dunkirk I watched on a tiny airplane-back seat on a flight back from Hong Kong, captions absolutely necessary

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

:hellyeah:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I wonder if it's not just him, but sound mixing in general in modern movies. Most movies I've seen over like the past decade have horrible mixing where the music & sound effects are BLASTING but voices are whisper quiet (unless there's no background noise). I think I heard something about studios not bothering to change up the audio for people using home setups, so it always ends up sounding off-balance & lovely coming from a home theater setup vs. IMAX or a regular theater.
I think it's been going on for longer than that. I forget when I started bringing earplugs to the theater but I swear it's been more than ten years. I'm sure this sounds very :corsair: but they reduce the volume from "earsplitting" to "just loud enough" and I have no regrets.

Also this made me think about what the last movie I saw in a theatre was, and I'm pretty sure it was Rise of Skywalker, loving lol what a self-own.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The last movie I saw butt-in-seat was 1917, with a promotion from the theater that if it didn't win Best Picture, my next ticket was free.

Then, y'know, pandemic. I'd try to get it honored now that they're showing movies again, but the thermal printing has faded away. :(

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 43: Tenten practically disappears from the plot after getting half an episode of action until the 4th great ninja war.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tenten is easily the most underutilized character from the village

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

christmas boots posted:

*female character* is easily the most underutilized character from the village

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

christmas boots posted:

Tenten is easily the most underutilized character from the village

Just don't ask about his time in the Congo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zero_Grade posted:

I think it's been going on for longer than that. I forget when I started bringing earplugs to the theater but I swear it's been more than ten years. I'm sure this sounds very :corsair: but they reduce the volume from "earsplitting" to "just loud enough" and I have no regrets.
Protip: most theaters turn down the volume considerably during matinees. I like my poo poo loud so this takes all the fun out of skipping work to see a movie.

Edit: Depending on how the movie is mastered, there's a good chance Atmos presentations are a lot easier to hear dialog.

Remulak has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Jun 10, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I went to a screening of Cannibal Holocaust (1980, dir. Ruggero Deodato) the sound was set wayyy too high so even the calm and soothing opening theme was an attack on the senses.

Which was great.

Almost as great as later that month when the same theater showed Pink Flamingos (1972, dir. John Waters) and I had unknowingly stepped in dogshit on my way to the cinema and didn't realize until I was going home after the show that I was the source of the overpowering smell in the theater.

Which was basically smellivison.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

The last movie I saw butt-in-seat was 1917, with a promotion from the theater that if it didn't win Best Picture, my next ticket was free.

I mis-read that as in 1917 and wondered how loving old you were. How did you enjoy The Little American?

Trying to remember the last time I went to a theater. I think it was either Godzilla: King of the Monsters or Spiderverse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I've got some bad news for him then, because even in a loving theater with good sound his mix buries the dialogue.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Phanatic posted:

I've got some bad news for him then, because even in a loving theater with good sound his mix buries the dialogue.
At this point it's practically a meme.

Like a Tarantino movie's gonna have feet, a Nolan movie's gonna have inaudible dialog

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Just wondering, how many remotes do you have?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Perestroika posted:

Aside from the soundmixing, the sense of scale in Dunkirk was also pretty garbage. It's supposed to portray one of the largest evacuations in military history, but what was actually in the movie looked more like the local YMCA's beach day. So Nolan dislikes CGI and wants to do as much as possible in camera, fair enough. But if you can't rustle up more than a few hundred extras and refuse to use the one tool that could let you convey the real scale of things, that's seems less like being principled and more like just being overly full of yourself and your ~*~vision~*~.

Yeah this really pissed me off. One destroyer. 2 spitfires. and about 20 little ships. that was it.

As a comparison, take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_at_Dunkirk

I was going to paste in a list of ships but, yeah. Take a look.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Nolan hot take: he's not trying to make the dialogue inaudible for the sake of making it inaudible, he just thinks people who would be hard to understand should be hard to understand. Tom Hardy sounds like a guy wearing a mask in The Dark Knight Rises and he sounds like a guy talking into an airplane radio in Dunkirk, etc. Most other directors recognize that people get annoyed when they can't understand the characters and just throw on a voice filter or some Darth Vader-style noises so you'll suspend your disbelief.

I do think it would be nice if TVs could have a "lovely default speakers" mode but in practice it would probably be the audio equivalent of motion smoothing and you'd have to disable it every time you watch TV at an old person's house.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Trying to remember the last time I went to a theater. I think it was either Godzilla: King of the Monsters or Spiderverse.
Last thing I ever saw in a cinema was Rise of Skywalker lol, what a high to end on :v:

lavaca posted:

Nolan hot take: he's not trying to make the dialogue inaudible for the sake of making it inaudible, he just thinks people who would be hard to understand should be hard to understand. Tom Hardy sounds like a guy wearing a mask in The Dark Knight Rises and he sounds like a guy talking into an airplane radio in Dunkirk, etc.
What's his excuse for having Michael Caine do exposition while smashing a plateful of chips in Tenet?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I saw “Men” in a theater about a week and a half ago and i repeat “what the gently caress”

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

What's his excuse for having Michael Caine do exposition while smashing a plateful of chips in Tenet?

"When a Knight decides to have lunch while shooting a scene you just roll with it."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In Titanic, we know that Rose's intended was a racist bigot woman-abusing total cock who probably kicked dogs right off camera, but if he was a halfway decent guy, the cheating is not romantic or justified.

And rear end in a top hat or not, the dude was loving right that his wife-to-be was loving around with someone else.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was confused for a minute, wondering how I completely missed Christopher Nolan's Donkey Kong trilogy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i absolutely love The Fountain & i get that its part of the story that he keeps going to work in a futile quest for a cure, but his boss keeps going like "stop working, go to your wife!" like she is powerless to prevent him from working, wtf just put him on medical leave. hell, you can make it paid since you know them both and apparently like them. but nope, boss knows where the moneys are at: grief-stricken experimental surgeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the latest episode of the Orville is some goofy horror-in-space stuff and overall, it’s pretty fun, and again overall I know it’s part of the horror genre, but it’s still annoying just how continually incompetent everyone acts at every step