Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The Tracer Bullet arcs are so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Giant Ethicist posted:

Most gas ranges here, anyway, have a little sensor like that so it shuts off automatically after a couple seconds if a) there's nothing on it, or b) the thing on it gets over a certain threshold temperature.
I've never seen a gas stove(or any stove, for that matter) with that feature, although it makes sense(assuming its thresholds for "nothing on it" and "over a certain temperature" aren't annoyingly tight, as shown by Qrais :v:).

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Continuing our tour of the 80s comics page, we have:

I think it's important to have proof that not all comics were better in the past. (although I'll admit The Girls grew on me a bit after a week-ish of posting)

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 03, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Wow, nice job with the hat.

Rhymes with Orange

Mother, I cannot click the pinwheel.

Get Fuzzy 6/9/02

Brenda Starr 11/28/48

Smokey Stover 5/30/48

Everyday Movies 4/1/35

"Don't hop, Daddy -- slink!"

I like how Wortman makes "Daddy" look stiff and off-balance here without having to use exaggerated body language.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 10, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 09, 1951)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Japanese really are advanced if they have weight sensors in their stove burners.

E:F;B

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I'm so glad that the Weird Sales Director storylines keep coming. Also this guy sounds like Squidward in my head.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple – Brian's Insides Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

When I started this story, i was a spent force, mentally. Then I caught Covid and was a physical wreck too. What you see before you are the embers of my empire. At the time of writing I feel a lot better. Thank you for reading despite these headwinds. The action returns to badmachinery.com with a new SOLVER story next week.

Here's the “cover” for the SOLVER special starting next week:

John Allison posted:

The Autumn Special was meant to run in the autumn but then it was moved to the summer. It takes place in the autumn. If I haven’t changed this by the time it runs, I guess I have made peace with certain decisions. At least it’s not about toilets.

Vargo Comics

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 3, 1934)

Peanuts (June 13, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

ComicBookHarriet of the Stuck Funky blog puts way too much thought this morning into the question of Cayla's dad that just makes me go cross-eyed, if we're being honest.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 10, 1939)

Out Our Way (January 19-21, 1939)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero posted:

Classic Nancy 1947

Every panel is a masterpiece.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 ()

Again, you really shouldn't treat the only person who willingly spends time with you this way.

I seem to be the only person who likes Big Nate, and this is why. I don't think we're supposed to see him sympathetically. I think we're supposed to see him as kind of a dick who's always getting what's coming to him. But my sense of nostalgia might be tinted. I'm too young to have read Calvin and Hobbes in actual newspapers, and Big Nate was the closest equivalent.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I'm having trouble believing anyone working at a grocery store ever dressed like that.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 09, 1951)

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga!

e: Also, Bets has just shy of a million followers? I'm not fully looped in on social media follower counts, but that sounds... significant.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/28/48

Say, when was the last time Brenda Starr did anything that could actually reasonably be called work? I remember she almost did some work when she threatened the plagiarist guy with an expose article about how he's a plagiarist if he keeps fooling around on his wife. I want to guess...maybe when the fat lady at the circus murdered the guy whose diet pills gave people a rare tropical disease?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm having trouble believing anyone working at a grocery store ever dressed like that.

It still happens in some places

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

El Spamo posted:

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga!

e: Also, Bets has just shy of a million followers? I'm not fully looped in on social media follower counts, but that sounds... significant.

Depends how many exist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 13, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

ComicBookHarriet of the Stuck Funky blog puts way too much thought this morning into the question of Cayla's dad that just makes me go cross-eyed, if we're being honest.

I find the entirely coincidental connection of these two similar topics in the same post far more interesting than is reasonable. The knowledge that Marcie's parents and grandparents both got married very young is...odd, as is the extremely specific reference to a hockey league (not even a team, a league) that no longer exists. But it's all in the service of the joke and who doesn't love jokes right? Whereas this month's Very Special Episode of Funky Winkerbean is wrapping around to arcane Batiuk lore mostly just so he can remind us that the arcane Batiuk lore even exists.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Remember when Baituk awarded his self insert the Oscar for Best Actress?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Is it just me or does Arlo seem uncharacteristically prudish today?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

I think he's actually worried about her health.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Plus it's hard to work the yard w/ a boner

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

They are both well into the age where you start caring a lot about skin cancer.

The artist is too, for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote that strip after a visit to his dermatologist.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "268 - Jucika In The Bistro"

"269 - Jucika's Fashion Show"

"strandruha = beachwear, fürdéshez = for bathing, fürdés után = after bathing"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (more Jack Randall edition)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

It's a running gag, Arlo is always on her case about protecting her skin.

Perhaps not without reason ...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Pondus

L-Innsikt

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The_Other posted:

Vargo Comics

Thanks for taking over my Vargo comics, I am back from the forest and can return posting them tomorrow!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I feel like Huey's complaining rings a little hollow here given that he's spent the last several months complaining, correctly, that John Kerry was an atrocious candidate who was going out of his way to wage a terrible campaign.

quote:

Retail

Aw, this is just cute as hell.

quote:

Popcom (more Jack Randall edition)

I'm not a big fan of the way Westerns are pigeonholed in pop culture discourse given how many of them, Blueberry being just one example, have exceptionally complex and nuanced writing that goes way beyond lazy Cowboys and Indians tropes. But Jack Randall is just like...the platonic ideal of the stereotypical Western. It's so generic it's borderline parody.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm struggling to figure out if there was some kind of wordplay that was lost in translation here or if this was just a really gross and pointless gag.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait, Bets is supposed to have a million followers on Instagram? Posting selfies of herself with confused surprised people? Have the Evans ever actually looked at Instagram?