Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I bought a Quest 2 for my wife, who tried VR at her friend's house the other day, and she loved it.

I got to try it today, and everything looks kinda blurry, even after adjusting the headset and meddling with the lens spacing. It's probably just the fact that my eyes suck though.

I connected it to SteamVR via Oculus Air Link and ran a couple of games wirelessly, but the motion isn't as smooth as running games natively on the headset. Is that just how it is? Choosing between Steam's library/UI and a better technical VR experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

WhiteHowler posted:

I bought a Quest 2 for my wife, who tried VR at her friend's house the other day, and she loved it.

I got to try it today, and everything looks kinda blurry, even after adjusting the headset and meddling with the lens spacing. It's probably just the fact that my eyes suck though.

I connected it to SteamVR via Oculus Air Link and ran a couple of games wirelessly, but the motion isn't as smooth as running games natively on the headset. Is that just how it is? Choosing between Steam's library/UI and a better technical VR experience?

the focus of most VR headsets is set at about 2 meters

so if you can't focus at that distance you should wear your glasses or contacts or get some prescription lens inserts for the quest

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

marumaru posted:

was gonna ask, do any of those come with the modern big vr mods like planck and the one that make magic work better in vr?

FUS does, as I am currently playing it right now with PLANCK and oh boy I can't remember what a poo poo-show vanilla Skyrim VR was, and I am better for it

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

WhiteHowler posted:

Sometimes when I used Airlink to connect to Steam it ran kinda jittery.
Not every time, but enough to be bothersome.
I was told this would help, and it did.
Everything runs smooth even though you are still running over wifi.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TIP posted:

the focus of most VR headsets is set at about 2 meters

so if you can't focus at that distance you should wear your glasses or contacts or get some prescription lens inserts for the quest

I definitely need glasses. My eyes are all messed up and have gotten worse throughout the pandemic. One eye can't see well more than about a meter away, and the other can see well far away but is blurry on anything closer than a few feet.

With the Quest though, I can see pretty well looking straight on, but things further out to the periphery are blurry. Is that just an effect of how VR works? I don't get a similar effect in the real world, even looking at a large TV or PC monitor close to me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

WhiteHowler posted:

With the Quest though, I can see pretty well looking straight on, but things further out to the periphery are blurry. Is that just an effect of how VR works? I don't get a similar effect in the real world, even looking at a large TV or PC monitor close to me.

you should be able to see most of the field of view in focus, but the closer you get to the edge the worse it's gonna get

it can also be worse if you don't have it set to the right IPD, you fall outside the IPD range, or you fall right between the three available settings

if you're between settings you can just kinda push the lenses into the in between and leave it there, it will probably pop over into one of the settings occasionally but you can also get a lens spacer that holds them at your preferred IPD

aside from that there's also fixed foveated rendering (FFR) in a lot of games, that basically means that the center of the screen is rendered at a higher resolution than the edges, so that can contribute to it as well

they use FFR at this point because with the fairly limited field of view and imperfect optics most people will turn their head instead of their eyes to see something on the edge of their view, so it makes for a decent performance/quality trade-off in standalone VR

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

I definitely need glasses. My eyes are all messed up and have gotten worse throughout the pandemic. One eye can't see well more than about a meter away, and the other can see well far away but is blurry on anything closer than a few feet.

This is my experience also and my eyes are also hosed, for what that's worth

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wear glasses; I'm not blind without them but I do need glasses to make things clearer and I was having the same "is this just a limitation of the hardware?" thoughts because I was seeing stuff sorta blurry in there too. After a year or so of dealing with it I picked up prescription lenses from VR Optician that attach to the lenses in the headset and it's seriously kind of incredible how much of a change it made. They're relatively affordable and attach to the lenses using magnets that let you easily pop them off and on. Highly recommended if you are a glasses wearer and things look kinda blurry in VR.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Diephoon posted:

The mod pack program for Skyrim is called Wabbajack and it's actually fairly young in the history of Skyrim modding.

I'm just going to drop the skyrimvr reddit "for modding start here" link https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/. Modding Skyrim can be a huge undertaking but I think Wabbajack automates the process making it much easier for newcomers.

This reddit post has 5 packs it recommends for skyrimvr

A post like that is exactly what I was hoping to find! Thanks so much!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

If you know your prescription, pick up a set of these. They fit in most VR headsets without touching the lenses, I use them in a Q2 and a Rift S with no issues, and they're cheap as hell. Cant hurt to see if you get better visuals

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
If you need glasses for VR getting a set of lens inserts is such a slam dunk in usability as to be a requirement imho. A huge reason why the Varjo Aero I have isn't used nearly as much is that aspect specifically.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is my experience also and my eyes are also hosed, for what that's worth

I played some more with the IPD, and while things (especially text) to the sides are still a little blurry, it's easy enough to turn my head slightly to read. I've been putting off an eye doctor appointment for a couple of years now, so I'll deal with that once COVID numbers drop a bit.

I tried out Walkabout Mini Golf, and holy crap, I love it. I'm a sucker for minigolf games, and I've spent an obscene number of hours on Tower Unite's courses.

My wife wanted Beat Saber, so I grabbed that too but haven't tried it. I also picked up a few highly-rated free things (VR Chat, Rec Room, and Echo VR).

I'll go back through the thread and look for more recommendations, but are there any must-have games or apps I should pick up that run well on a Quest 2? I'm mostly not looking for multiplayer games unless they're cooperative.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

If you need glasses for VR getting a set of lens inserts is such a slam dunk in usability as to be a requirement imho. A huge reason why the Varjo Aero I have isn't used nearly as much is that aspect specifically.

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/varjo-aero

Any reason you havent spend the 100ish bucks for your 2000+ dollar headset?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

but are there any must-have games or apps I should pick up that run well on a Quest 2?

Resident Evil 4 is great.
Walking Dead is great.
Pistol Whip is great.
Ragnarock is my preferred rhythm game (though I have been playing a lot of Beat Saber lately), and is ... great.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

23 Skidoo posted:

Ragnarock is my preferred rhythm game (though I have been playing a lot of Beat Saber lately), and is ... great.

They just released some new poo poo too. I should fire that up and see how the new songs play. :D

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

EbolaIvory posted:

that's where i've just ordered lenses for my index from. ordered wednesday, they'll be here on monday. wild!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diephoon posted:

The mod pack program for Skyrim is called Wabbajack and it's actually fairly young in the history of Skyrim modding.

I'm just going to drop the skyrimvr reddit "for modding start here" link https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/. Modding Skyrim can be a huge undertaking but I think Wabbajack automates the process making it much easier for newcomers.

This reddit post has 5 packs it recommends for skyrimvr

Thank you for this. I have been looking at Skyrim VR but was reading that it really requires mods to get working correctly. I hope Starfield has VR built in from the start.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

EbolaIvory posted:

Wasn't available when I first got it, neat!

EDIT
ordered a set, thanks again for pointing this out. There wasn't any lens adapters available at all for it when I first had it.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 10, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I have also been enjoying Ragnarock recently; it's not a strict upgrade to Beat Saber but I think it will still completely replace that game in my rotation?

But then I wasn't the biggest fan of Beat Saber's threadbare presentation and unfocused song selection to begin with, so it's not surprising that something a bit more extravagant with a more focused music genre is appealing.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Anyone got any thoughts on the VR Optician lenses versus the ones the ones on the official Meta Quest store (or any of the others really)?

I notice that VR Optician asks for your specific PD and if you choose one way outside the Quest's normal settings they say "we can't compensate for that", whereas the official ones have an FAQ that basically says "why didn't you ask for my PD? Answer: Just use one of the 3 PD settings on the Quest". Which makes me think that the VR Optician ones are probably better in that regard at least.

chippy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 10, 2022

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there any real drawback to setting up SideQuest for the quest 2? Mostly I'm interested in all the fan-made beat saber tracks at the moment, which I believe needs additional hoops to jump through too?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
From what I have seen -- especially when it comes to DIY lens inserts -- I think most people misunderstand PD and the role it plays in lens design. There are a lot of DIY options for lens inserts (like, 3D print the holders and order cheap glasses from Zenni) and when it comes to PD selection when you're ordering lenses, the DIY guides are all like "uh choose 65 mm I guess? That's the default for the Quest lenses so that's what you should choose :shrug:" and eyetwitch.gif

The role PD plays in lens design is this: when looking directly ahead, your eyeballs should be centered behind the "optical center" of the lenses in front of them.

The "optical center" of the lenses in a VR headset is (basically) matched to the physical center of the lenses. The physical spacing of the lenses in a headset is changed to (more or less) match the PD of the person wearing it. So that's easy.

But in eyeglasses, the width of the frame (which determines the spacing of the lenses) is fixed, meaning the lenses can't move to match your eyes. If you have a wide IPD, your eyeballs will be centered towards the outside edges of the lenses in your glasses. If you have a narrow IPD, your eyeballs will be towards the inner sides of the mounted lenses. So to accommodate this, an optician asks for your PD so that the lenses can be manufactured such that their "optical center" matches your actual eyeballs. This usually puts the "optical center" of the eyeglass lenses either wider out or closer in compared to the physical lens. Your eyeballs can then look straight out the "optical center" of the lenses, despite the frame on your head (and therefore the location of the lenses) not being adjustable to match your personal eye spacing. The optician just cuts off more or less on one or the other side of each lens before mounting them in the frames.

Back to what this means for DIY lens inserts:

If ordering eyeglasses with the intention of removing the lenses to put into DIY lens inserts, you should ideally be ordering lenses with the PD selected to match the physical center of the lenses inside whatever frames it is you're ordering. This will put the "optical center" in the physical center of each lens. This will have nothing to do with your personal IPD, your headset's "default" PD, or what have you. Lenses with a PD matching the physical center-to-center spacing of the frame's lens mounting will result in lenses that have the "optical center" in the middle of the lens, which is appropriate for sticking them onto an eyepiece with a physically-adjustable PD.

Mismatching the PD will still work, but it won't be optimal and will lead to different amounts of eyestrain (depending on the person). It'll be worse for people with complex (aspherical) lens prescriptions, like people with astygmatism. It won't be a game-breaker, but it's an inefficiency that doesn't need to be there.

If you're ordering cheap glasses to WEAR while using your headset: give them your personal IPD.
If you're ordering cheap glasses to harvest the lenses and put into 3D printed lens inserts: ideally order them with a PD number that locates the optical center in the physical center of the lenses (which is frame-dependent). This isn't always easy to figure out, I know, but it's the "right" way to do it and a far cry from the typical "idk 65 I guess? because that's the headset's default? pls like and subscribe, kthxbai"

(Also, while splitting hairs: depending on the actually shape and the design of the inserts, a manufacturer may actually want the optical center of the lenses in the inserts to be a little this way or that way to match their mounting design.)

But mainly I could not resist griping about DIY lens inserts on one hand being super clever with design, but when it comes to actually getting PD right and matched they just shrug their shoulders.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nighthand posted:

Is there any real drawback to setting up SideQuest for the quest 2? Mostly I'm interested in all the fan-made beat saber tracks at the moment, which I believe needs additional hoops to jump through too?

The only thing you really need Sidequest for these days is loading files onto the Quest itself, which you need to do to load BMBF for custom songs. There’s not really any downside, I just wouldn’t bother with an account these days. Unless you want DrBeef’s engine ports which you should.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Eyes Have It posted:

From what I have seen -- especially when it comes to DIY lens inserts -- I think most people misunderstand PD and the role it plays in lens design. There are a lot of DIY options for lens inserts (like, 3D print the holders and order cheap glasses from Zenni) and when it comes to PD selection when you're ordering lenses, the DIY guides are all like "uh choose 65 mm I guess? That's the default for the Quest lenses so that's what you should choose :shrug:" and eyetwitch.gif

The role PD plays in lens design is this: when looking directly ahead, your eyeballs should be centered behind the "optical center" of the lenses in front of them.

The "optical center" of the lenses in a VR headset is (basically) matched to the physical center of the lenses. The physical spacing of the lenses in a headset is changed to (more or less) match the PD of the person wearing it. So that's easy.

But in eyeglasses, the width of the frame (which determines the spacing of the lenses) is fixed, meaning the lenses can't move to match your eyes. If you have a wide IPD, your eyeballs will be centered towards the outside edges of the lenses in your glasses. If you have a narrow IPD, your eyeballs will be towards the inner sides of the mounted lenses. So to accommodate this, an optician asks for your PD so that the lenses can be manufactured such that their "optical center" matches your actual eyeballs. This usually puts the "optical center" of the eyeglass lenses either wider out or closer in compared to the physical lens. Your eyeballs can then look straight out the "optical center" of the lenses, despite the frame on your head (and therefore the location of the lenses) not being adjustable to match your personal eye spacing. The optician just cuts off more or less on one or the other side of each lens before mounting them in the frames.

Back to what this means for DIY lens inserts:

If ordering eyeglasses with the intention of removing the lenses to put into DIY lens inserts, you should ideally be ordering lenses with the PD selected to match the physical center of the lenses inside whatever frames it is you're ordering. This will put the "optical center" in the physical center of each lens. This will have nothing to do with your personal IPD, your headset's "default" PD, or what have you. Lenses with a PD matching the physical center-to-center spacing of the frame's lens mounting will result in lenses that have the "optical center" in the middle of the lens, which is appropriate for sticking them onto an eyepiece with a physically-adjustable PD.

Mismatching the PD will still work, but it won't be optimal and will lead to different amounts of eyestrain (depending on the person). It'll be worse for people with complex (aspherical) lens prescriptions, like people with astygmatism. It won't be a game-breaker, but it's an inefficiency that doesn't need to be there.

If you're ordering cheap glasses to WEAR while using your headset: give them your personal IPD.
If you're ordering cheap glasses to harvest the lenses and put into 3D printed lens inserts: ideally order them with a PD number that locates the optical center in the physical center of the lenses (which is frame-dependent). This isn't always easy to figure out, I know, but it's the "right" way to do it and a far cry from the typical "idk 65 I guess? because that's the headset's default? pls like and subscribe, kthxbai"

(Also, while splitting hairs: depending on the actually shape and the design of the inserts, a manufacturer may actually want the optical center of the lenses in the inserts to be a little this way or that way to match their mounting design.)

But mainly I could not resist griping about DIY lens inserts on one hand being super clever with design, but when it comes to actually getting PD right and matched they just shrug their shoulders.

But in the case of VR Opticians, they are supplying the lenses too. You're not removing the lenses from eyeglasses to put in DIY inserts, they are supplying the whole thing. They let you specify the PD in 0.5mm increments, and also tell you what IPD setting you should use on the Quest, based on what you tell them. So presumably in this case you should just tell them your PD (and SPH, CYL, etc.) based on your prescription for regular glasses (which I have) and they will supply lenses that are going to work? Maybe they can somewhat compensate for the lack of granularity in the Quest's IPD settings?

chippy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 11, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Sidenote: How the gently caress is Virtual Desktop so much better than AirLink? With AirLink I still get that little bit of tracking/spacewarp judder every now and then (although the Public Test version did improve it somewhat) and if I put it on 90Hz I get noticeable compression artefacts. With VD I just played Alyx for half an hour on Ultra Quality, 90Hz and it ran beautifully and looked amazing. They should give that guy a job.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That’s a lot of words to say get lasik :blastu:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

chippy posted:

Sidenote: How the gently caress is Virtual Desktop so much better than AirLink? With AirLink I still get that little bit of tracking/spacewarp judder every now and then (although the Public Test version did improve it somewhat) and if I put it on 90Hz I get noticeable compression artefacts. With VD I just played Alyx for half an hour on Ultra Quality, 90Hz and it ran beautifully and looked amazing. They should give that guy a job.

There's one custom track in Synth Riders where they made a tunnel effect out of rotating squares; it looks fine in VD, but Airlink just absolutely shits the bed and goes "aaaaahhhhh I don't know, have a screenful of pink noise!".

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

chippy posted:

But in the case of VR Opticians, they are supplying the lenses too. You're not removing the lenses from eyeglasses to put in DIY inserts, they are supplying the whole thing. They let you specify the PD in 0.5mm increments, and also tell you what IPD setting you should use on the Quest, based on what you tell them. So presumably in this case you should just tell them your PD (and SPH, CYL, etc.) based on your prescription for regular glasses (which I have) and they will supply lenses that are going to work? Maybe they can somewhat compensate for the lack of granularity in the Quest's IPD settings?

Well, I don't know what VR Optician's process is but it makes sense to provide them with whatever it is they are asking for. It sounds like they try to match what they create around the three hard stops of adjustment the Quest 2 offers, and maybe try to account for some in-between values.

But mainly I'm griping that wading into the DIY end of things has a lot of people who have clever designs taking advantage of 3D printing and discount eyeglass places like Zenni, but also appear to fundamentally misunderstand IPD while they're at it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nuts and Gum posted:

That’s a lot of words to say get lasik :blastu:

Doesn't work for everything sadly.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm not a candidate for lasik, too thin cornea. It is destroying my vr life.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Been deciding between the Supernatural sweat liner or the Kiwi one.
Went with Supernatural because its $12 compared to $45, and i'm poor AF.

https://shop.getsupernatural.com/products/sport-liner
https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-Accessories-Customized-Compatible/dp/B09LQJBMSN

Saw the Kiwi one on a Mac in VR video yesterday.
Nice, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgRkl24FUQ

e: i have a feeling that the Kiwi one will prevent fogging better though.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 11, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm not a candidate for lasik, too thin cornea. It is destroying my vr life.

Did you bring this up to the eye doc? Maybe if they understood the severity of the situation…

But for real I’m very lucky I was a candidate. Id say do whatever you can to not use glasses with VR, even if it’s just putting in contacts.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sab669 posted:

A friend gave me his old racing wheel/pedals, so I just ordered a collapsible stand off Amazon.

Steam says Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 are both "VR Supported" - anyone ITT have any insight as to which is easier/better to get working with an Index?

Didn't even realize there was a PC3 but reviews are mixed on steam :shrug: Also I mostly play Gran Tourismo when I owned a Playstation, so... also whichever would be closer to that I guess? I'm not sure which is more Sim

its not what you asked for but I'm going to proselytize because i love the game so much: try Richard Burns Rally, its free and comes in a complete package. VR support hacked in lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBR these days is so incredibly hacked together it's honestly barely worth the trouble to gently caress with, I tried it again recently and just getting my modern wheel to work with the game was an hour in forum threads. Just get Dirt Rally 2 and be done with it if you want to get muddy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drat this is sick as hell, imagine never having played skyrim at all and this being the first pass.

njsykora posted:

RBR these days is so incredibly hacked together it's honestly barely worth the trouble to gently caress with, I tried it again recently and just getting my modern wheel to work with the game was an hour in forum threads. Just get Dirt Rally 2 and be done with it if you want to get muddy.

drat really? what happened lol. only thing i really ever hosed with is make sure my on screen lock was set correctly/inverting handbrake which is pretty easy via the launcher. csl dd for reference. also making sure to install the ancient dx9 package it comes with

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 12, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It wouldn't recognise my steering axis, every other control on the wheel and my pedals binded properly but for whatever reason it wouldn't recognise the actual wheel part.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The VR Optician lenses I got for the OG Rift work better than my actual glasses.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, this thread is a bit dead.

No one commented how the pc gaming show decided to close with an VR mod? That was an interesting choice, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WE1qf3Z_-s

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of extra games that will support VR optionally

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147330/Lifeless_Moon/

This is a PSVR game, but I think it will release on Steam later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L52np7hEhc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've only been checking out 7th Guests list of the new stuff in the games thread but havent really seen anything of interest to me sadly.