Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ashcans posted:

I looked up their cards and it's very fast with a lot of movement and placement stuff, so it definitely seems more complicated than 'hit it with a truck'. But it also looks fun and very good for the objectives you grab. I guess Venom is the real tank/beater of the affiliation?

He is but I'm not sure how necessary he is in the grand scheme of things. Venom only moves Short and while he's really good at what he does I'm just not sure the WW need to be worried about it. If you run him you need to be very careful about positioning as otherwise the others will leave him in the dust and while tanky Eddie can get focused down like anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Venom is a nice tank/bodyguard with the Lethal Protector card, also has a nice spender that can heal him a good amount + a counterattack for when people focus fire on him.

Speaking of Web Warriors I tried my hand at sculpting a hoodie on Miles to make him look a bit more dynamic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's a cool idea, looks like it came out well! I think it helps for the two to have different silhouettes, Ghost Spider kind of accomplishes that with her hood (and also a more dramatically different color scheme).

I have been toying with the idea of doing some light conversion work on Black Cat in order to paint her as Night Spider, Felicia Hardy's spiderverse identity:

Obviously she'd still function the same in-game. I don't think it would be too confusing? It seems like people generally do a little less converting than other miniature games but there are also fewer models so it's not hard to keep track of.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Played my second game against Dormammu yesterday, and actually managed to win this time (on points). I learned my lesson from the first time I faced him and didn't really try to brawl with him at all - instead I just gave him space and tried to focus down other team members, allowing me to eventually pull ahead on points simply because he couldn't cover the whole board. It was a really close thing and I still only won because my opponent ran too hot on power and took damage across his team. Both times have been a lot of fun though!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I play mostly Big D and the kids table, and yeah that's how you beat him. just kind of endure his activation, take out his mooks and beat him on points on turn 4/5
the only time I've ever lost on attrition was against a very hot-rolling tall Brotherhood list, big all-in swings from Juggs make perma-shocked Dormy very sad

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted Blade, chums:

Looking forward to trying Midnight Sons, though it would mean not playing Convocation, oof. Love those wizards.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

nobody gets more out of blades leadership than ghost rider, an honestly embarrassing combo. gratz

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Bunch of news today

First they released blog posts for Heimdall and Skurge

https://t.co/dFm1igNPfD
https://t.co/PMLumz07bs

Then we got an announcement for Malekith
https://www.atomicmassgames.com/cp93

Finally they announced a bunch of new shield and hydra packs for fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfJEGCXZI1A

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was so certain we were getting X-Men but it looks like Asgard/SHIELD v Hydra is on the menu for the latter half of 2022!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfJEGCXZI1A

Mildly shocked Spider-Woman, a key SHIELD character, still isn't in this but I'm absolutely loving the quality of these miniatures. Figured it was a matter of time before we got Classic Steve and the Howling Commandos / Red Skull with Hydra grunts. New Skull seems like he's a more cosmic version, which I dig. Zola and Strucker I've never been that into but the quality of their sculpts is drop dead gorgeous.

Also someone at Atomic Mass apparently wanted to do Warhammer poo poo badly and got their wish with this out of left field Malekith coming soon, holy hell

edit: gently caress lol

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That Zola figure looks amazing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hah can't believe we're getting Original Human Torch before, you know, Human Torch.

Oh hey, all we need now is a Hank Pym/Simon Williams box and we can field the Vision and His Constituent Elements team.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 10, 2022

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I love most of that but I am not at all sold on Malekith, and also super-hoping that this doesn't reflect a pivot into giant-monster-type characters, because it's something that largely turned me off other games in the past.

I am happy with Hydra grunts though! Now Bob will have some pals!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is there still something funky with the Fantastic Four's rights? I remember back when Marvel Heroes was a thing they had to pull the FF from sale and unlocking for some obscure rights related issue.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
No Spiderwoman, but two Nick Furies in a year does seem like a missed opportunity. Both since she would fit with the SHIELD stuff and also presumably drop into Web Warriors.

Edit: beaten
Releasing the Jim Hamond Human Torch before Johnny Storm Fantastic Four is a bold choice.

theironjef posted:

Hah can't believe we're getting Original Human Torch before, you know, Human Torch.

Oh hey, all we need now is a Hank Pym/Simon Williams box and we can field the Vision and His Constituent Elements team.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I am happy with Hydra grunts though! Now Bob will have some pals!

For real, I hope those bases of three guys become a standard because it would help a lot thematically if guys like MODOK and Okoye could have the AIM scientists and Dora Milaje. I could even see a Monica Rappanici and AIM Scientists set. Ooh or Jocasta and Ultron Drones.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

rantmo posted:

Is there still something funky with the Fantastic Four's rights? I remember back when Marvel Heroes was a thing they had to pull the FF from sale and unlocking for some obscure rights related issue.

It was literally because Marvel wanted to stop letting people use the Fantastic Four while they didn't have the movie rights (they even canceled the comic for a while). That's all sorted out now so I assume AMG will get to it when they get to it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AMG's 4th anniversary of the game is in 2023 so I'm guessing they're going to take advantage of that date and do the FF then

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It was literally because Marvel wanted to stop letting people use the Fantastic Four while they didn't have the movie rights (they even canceled the comic for a while). That's all sorted out now so I assume AMG will get to it when they get to it.

That period where Disney suits were dictating creative decision making based on which movies rights they held was quite the thing. See also mutants almost ceasing to exist and instead Inhumans were all over the place.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Well I stand corrected, though wasn't the title being cancelled later on, after Secret Wars? Not that I can track the passage of time anymore.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

rantmo posted:

Well I stand corrected, though wasn't the title being cancelled later on, after Secret Wars? Not that I can track the passage of time anymore.

It was later, but it all comes from the same place.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Was just speculating if the video is implying a Hydra affiliation. I am wondering if that might mean Red Skull 1 will retain Cabal or become a dual faction leader option.

Edit: wait there is a Shield affiliation already. I had no idea.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 11, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think current Red Skull will stay as is but gain the affiliation. Where as nuRed Skull will be the Hydra faction leader. Also those new models look fukken sick

I want to play Cabal just for that sicko mode flying hellkitty

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gimme that fucken Zola, god that that model rules

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I have never had a problem with faction ADD (unable to stick with one army/affiliation) before but MCP has gotten me surprisingly bad. This has all been compounded by TTS enabling my behaviour, the mod is so good.

Tried Midnight Sons vs Spider Foes yesterday and had a blast melting everyone with Ghost Rider and Blade. Successfully reviving Ghost Rider from a healthy Wong was extremely satisfying. I'm sure it's been done before but I want to try the list again with Ultron.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

I have never had a problem with faction ADD (unable to stick with one army/affiliation) before but MCP has gotten me surprisingly bad. This has all been compounded by TTS enabling my behaviour, the mod is so good.

Tried Midnight Sons vs Spider Foes yesterday and had a blast melting everyone with Ghost Rider and Blade. Successfully reviving Ghost Rider from a healthy Wong was extremely satisfying. I'm sure it's been done before but I want to try the list again with Ultron.

nothing quite as cool as using that Deal With The Devil card to bring back Ghost Rider, except maybe somehow getting to use Kraven's Fearful Symmetry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

While MCP does create a lot of temptation to switch/try affiliations, it's also pretty solid about making them easy to get into and allowing you to use many of your current pieces with the new affiliation. The amount of overlap is pretty healthy, and you can always choose to bring characters out of affiliation if you want/need. So in that sense it's a lot kinder than some games!

Also that you basically only need 5-6 pieces to play an affiliation anyway.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a very player friendly design, but also extremely good from the sales angle. Very easy to think about all those affiliations you can add if you just buy another box or two.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Was thinking about the fact I might want to play in local events when they start to happen more frequently. Which got me thinking about how many of the extract and secure cards are gated via specific character packs (also some tactics cards). A large number I do not own. I wouldn't mind so much if I wanted to own those models but I just don't. Has anyone played in or run an event and how did you handle that particular issue (or any card related rules for that matter).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

unless it's a three-box event, anything at the store level is 100% OK with proxies of crisis and tactics cards. Proxies of actual minis, less so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ashcans posted:

While MCP does create a lot of temptation to switch/try affiliations, it's also pretty solid about making them easy to get into and allowing you to use many of your current pieces with the new affiliation. The amount of overlap is pretty healthy, and you can always choose to bring characters out of affiliation if you want/need. So in that sense it's a lot kinder than some games!

Also that you basically only need 5-6 pieces to play an affiliation anyway.

Yeah, now I feel good about just sticking to the couple of affiliations I like. And none of them appear to have folks coming out for a while, although I did pick up Ms. Marvel since I play Warriors and she has built-in synergy with Miles and even a tactics card for it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

unless it's a three-box event, anything at the store level is 100% OK with proxies of crisis and tactics cards. Proxies of actual minis, less so.

I wish this was true for my local events.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

admanb posted:

I wish this was true for my local events.

Same. My local store has a weird thing about proxies not being allowed.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It doesn't surprise me that much -- a lot of the DNA of MCP's card system comes from FFG's X-Wing, which had sanctioned OP with prizes provided by FFG that required you have every card you were playing. FFG was also better at making important cards accessible (better -- not good). MCP has no sanctioned events (outside of their casual events, ironically) but that feeling of "this is like X-Wing" lives on.

It sucks though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MCPDB lists Black Cat as a member of Midnight Sons. I'm pretty sure that never happened in the comics, so is AMG just winging it with affiliations?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
well AMG does groups and their friends. I want to say Black Cat did join for a story arc but was never a permanent member no. plus they do have to run things by Marvel itself

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

There's also at least one villain group just created whole cloth for the game, I think they just try to go for what works and then sometimes what a healthy game would need. Like enough villain factions, or anything for Black Cat to do, or just letting Ronan be an Inhuman Royal Family member because he had a sham marriage to Crystal for a little while.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Villains are tougher because they tend to fly solo or have nameless henchmen, so at best you end up with "all of Spider-Man's villains" in Spider-Foes, even if most of them never worked with each other.

The groupings are usually at least comic-inspired and it's more likely that character X has worked with group X than not (because comics) but a lot of the weird edge cases are more about gameplay than anything else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. You could also have Black Cat technically be in the Spider-Villains if she isn't.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

at best you end up with "all of Spider-Man's villains" in Spider-Foes, even if most of them never worked with each other
I know you picked them at random but the Sinister Six have been an ongoing super villain team for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I see that pack happening. Electro/Vulture and Rhino to round out the squad. I won't be surprised if you see affiliations swap around a lot. I am pretty confident it is why it isn't printed on the card. As the ranges expand they can easily add and remove people and not be forced into reprinting.