Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Every year stinks. This one does too. I hate it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Time is awful and must be stopped.

e: I'm renaming my nascent ambient drone album this

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Trig Discipline posted:

Time is awful and must be stopped.

e: I'm renaming my nascent ambient drone album this

It can be a companion to my recent album THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED.

I traded in my Minilogue XD to Patchwerks - not because it's not a great synth, but because I've barely even turned it on in six months and I'd rather put more of my effort into my modular ecosystem. In return for that (and one or two modules I don't use anymore), I got a stereo filter (After Later Popple), a matrix mixer (the AI Synthesis kit), and a used FX Aid. I've been skeptical of the hype the FX Aid gets, but it's absolutely proven itself in the short time I've had it and it sounds amazing. Popple isn't as interesting as some stereo filters I was looking at (namely the Bastl Ikarie), but it's nice and smooth and makes the Acid Rain Chainsaw sound f a t. And I'm excited to figure out neat patching acrobatics with the matrix mixer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I need some advice.

I'm building electronic Uilleann bagpipes. I'm currently reconsidering whether I want to just go with MIDI output and have something else generate tones, instead of what I'm currently doing with rolling my own (currently not working right) 4-operator FM Synthesis.

I only know MIDI from the implementation side: with the event types and control values. I have no idea what's been done with it in actual synthesizers. I'm hoping someone in here can help me out with deciding whether what I want is achievable.

In addition to stuff that's probably standard in 2022 like 6-voice polyphony, I need the following abilities:

• Bend notes with arbitrary range. Like, I need to be able to bend from D4 to D2 with smooth stepping along the way: 127 steps is not enough for two octaves.
  • If I can't bend notes that far with precision, some sort of ability to say "I know I told you we were playing G4, but now we're playing A4 and I want to zero the pitch bend".
  • Send a ranged value for to specify "nasality": this instrument has "alternate fingerings" that, as far as I can tell, lightly alter the pitch and apply something like a high-pass filter on the tone
  • I need to be able to transition from one note to another without triggering an attack on the voice or decay on the one previously played. This instrument sends sound non-stop, and the attack should only be triggered when it begins playing from silence.

Does a synth module exist which can do all this with MIDI input? I know MIDI 2 is near standardized now and I think will solve a lot of this, but I don't know that anything is using it yet.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I think what you describe lines up with the functionality of MIDI Polyphonic Expression, which has been adopted into the 1.0 standard.

One channel delivers master control messages, and the other channels are used for individual notes, including note-specific pitch bend and note-specific CC messages.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I didn’t know Ulililia had anything to do with bagpipes, what a fascinating dude.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So Math posted:

I think what you describe lines up with the functionality of MIDI Polyphonic Expression, which has been adopted into the 1.0 standard.

One channel delivers master control messages, and the other channels are used for individual notes, including note-specific pitch bend and note-specific CC messages.

Okay, I'll grouse around for synths that support this and read up on the standard to see if it covers what I need. It does seem close. Thanks!

I know in like 1991 Yamaha sold a thing called a WX11 that had a WT11 tone generator, which may or may not have been a DX-7 engine (4-operator FM synthesizer) with some added special gubbins for increased wind controller expressiveness. I'm not sure if it was as expressive as I need, though. Was sort of hoping someone clever had come up with something since this was released in the 20 years since then, but maybe MPE is as close as I'm going to get.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I didn’t know Ulililia had anything to do with bagpipes, what a fascinating dude.

Apparently "Uilleann" means elbow in Gaelic or Irish. Or maybe Irish is Gaelic, I'm not sure.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 10, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pitch bend is a 14 bit parameter, you've got access to way more than 128 values even in the most ancient implementation.

Also look into portamento and portamento control support in modules.

I'm guessing this maybe isn't a monophonic instrument, in which case mpe is a must.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
:whatup: fellow wind synth maker!

I think some synths may be able to support what you're looking for via MPE. Try putting together a patch with the Vital VST and see if it fits the bill.

This guy talks a little bit about pitch bend implementation here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4xMJ3tyX_s

You may want to eventually implement your own synth to keep the whole thing self-contained and give more precise control, but that's probably easy enough to add once you have the general control stuff figured out more.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

You may want to eventually implement your own synth to keep the whole thing self-contained and give more precise control, but that's probably easy enough to add once you have the general control stuff figured out more.

https://github.com/mtytel/vital

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Woah I did not know vital was actually open source. Might be overkill to try and cram it all into an embedded implementation but you could definitely gank oscillators, filters etc. from it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Additionally, If you’re looking to spend some money on a physical MPE synth then I can’t recommend the Hydrasynth series more highly. They are loving fantastic.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cruft posted:

I need some advice.

I'm building electronic Uilleann bagpipes. I'm currently reconsidering whether I want to just go with MIDI output and have something else generate tones, instead of what I'm currently doing with rolling my own (currently not working right) 4-operator FM Synthesis.

I only know MIDI from the implementation side: with the event types and control values. I have no idea what's been done with it in actual synthesizers. I'm hoping someone in here can help me out with deciding whether what I want is achievable.

In addition to stuff that's probably standard in 2022 like 6-voice polyphony, I need the following abilities:

• Bend notes with arbitrary range. Like, I need to be able to bend from D4 to D2 with smooth stepping along the way: 127 steps is not enough for two octaves.
  • If I can't bend notes that far with precision, some sort of ability to say "I know I told you we were playing G4, but now we're playing A4 and I want to zero the pitch bend".
  • Send a ranged value for to specify "nasality": this instrument has "alternate fingerings" that, as far as I can tell, lightly alter the pitch and apply something like a high-pass filter on the tone
  • I need to be able to transition from one note to another without triggering an attack on the voice or decay on the one previously played. This instrument sends sound non-stop, and the attack should only be triggered when it begins playing from silence.

Does a synth module exist which can do all this with MIDI input? I know MIDI 2 is near standardized now and I think will solve a lot of this, but I don't know that anything is using it yet.

there are a fair amount of soft synths that support OSC or the other extended control format that never took off and I can't remember the name of. a laptop might not be the ideal thing for cool factor or reliability, but it's there and it works and it's a thing you wouldn't have to make yourself while you're trying to make the other thing you're making. if you have the stomach for it, you could probably patch all that together yourself in a weekend -> a month with reaktor or cycling or something

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Latest patch in vcv rack. Trying out using noise through a LPG as a modulation source, and then I got carried away with drum modules and sequencers. Was actually happy with some of the sounds, so I remembered to hit record.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/evening-patch

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Latest patch in vcv rack. Trying out using noise through a LPG as a modulation source, and then I got carried away with drum modules and sequencers. Was actually happy with some of the sounds, so I remembered to hit record.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/evening-patch

Enjoyed this. Modulation source like FM or like slewed/filtered noise -> random cv? I'm also very curious about the sequencer side, you landed in some cool spots (4:00 in or so is a nice vibe w/ the breaky percussion and faint chord drone in the background) and wanna know how you did it!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have my tascam model 12 up on reverb if anyone wants a quality mixer interface thing. Dm me for a link if you want to see pics and we can arrange a private sale so I don’t get sharfted by reverb

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

drat, I love ryuichi sakamoto. He’s been dealing with cancer for a while, he wrote the score to the revenant thinking it was the last project he’d work on, and it’s beautiful. When I saw it in at a theater the score alone made me cry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czv8J1W4yYU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Enjoyed this. Modulation source like FM or like slewed/filtered noise -> random cv? I'm also very curious about the sequencer side, you landed in some cool spots (4:00 in or so is a nice vibe w/ the breaky percussion and faint chord drone in the background) and wanna know how you did it!

Hey thanks!

The drone in the background was made by running a mix of most of the signals from a Ts-L oscillator into the strum input on Rings, and hitting some of the different CV inputs with separate gated and filtered noise bursts. Some of the CV inputs ( damping I think, and maybe the brightness control?) were fed chaotic lfo signals. The percussion sequencing came from some Euclidean sequencers running on different clock divisions, and Grids getting different signals to the map coordinates by hitting a S&H of the chaotic LFO at whatever long divisions I happened to plug into on the clock divider.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I was digging in LSDJ after not touching it for years. The wave synth is really good!

It generates wavetables by sweeping a resonant filter with distortion. Very crunchy.

Also, I found a website that catalogues single cycle waves from commercial game boy releases.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hmm knobs on the syntakt are starting to wiggle a little bit. this never happened on my analog four

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I made a Befaco Noise Plethora build video. All the background music/sound is 100% the Noise Plethora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDuElcioHs

It's 50 minutes long, so here's a 16 second clip:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx6y2xNz64YWLHtMl0FuVbFme1uohDOmU7

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

net work error posted:

Happened to be in Detroit and checked out Detroit Modular. Very cool shop with a good inventory as well so if you're in the area I'd recommend checking it out.

I'm several pages late but yeah, they own. I'm about 10 minutes around the corner from Sweetwater but still order everything from Detroit Modular because they're less of a pain in the rear end to deal with. Also, they're smaller, and I feel like they benefit from my money more.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I made a Befaco Noise Plethora build video. All the background music/sound is 100% the Noise Plethora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDuElcioHs

It's 50 minutes long, so here's a 16 second clip:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx6y2xNz64YWLHtMl0FuVbFme1uohDOmU7

Your sixteen second clip owns.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Hello fellow Fort Wayne area synth goon.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

Your sixteen second clip owns.

Thank you, have some more:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx5k85SQlnrNL15Gdi5Vqo4d-Yo-9h3Q7n

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxyv6MFsR9bYLfS3aEQOWVCTZhDgQtmi9t

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

So Math posted:

Hello fellow Fort Wayne area synth goon.

Howdy! This town is so weird in how completely un-weird it is. It's gotten a lot more interesting lately, but WOW does it have a way to go still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh hey a new synth must be out, because my youtube suggestions is suddenly filled with the usual suspects mentioning the exact same product! And all uploaded within 5 minutes of each other!

I'm being marketed to and I don't like it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh man i love the barrage of non-biased videos that drop the minute the embargo lifts

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
At least we can safely ignore all the ones not made by Loopop.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hainbach is made one too.

From a very brief look, I'm thinking Moog 0-coast?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Take the challenge if you dare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv39FNc4XR8

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

net work error posted:

Hainbach is made one too.

From a very brief look, I'm thinking Moog 0-coast?

for about 130$ less. Looks pretty neat TBH.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The Moog Mavis looks great. I somehow have managed to avoid Moog stuff this far but that one is surprisingly tempting. I like the size vs. features -ratio.

Here's a case that I'm currently building and patching. It's for playing live psy/goa trance to give hippies something to dance to if someone books me for a gig. :ducksiren: I'm maybe halfway there with the patching and such but it's already showing some promise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWHGYms3Gc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

j.peeba posted:

The Moog Mavis looks great. I somehow have managed to avoid Moog stuff this far but that one is surprisingly tempting. I like the size vs. features -ratio.

The price is relatively good too. The marketing worked on me!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Some of the sounds on that are real nice

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Looks and sound like an upgraded Werkstatt which I liked quite a bit.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
imagine being mad about a new Moog product

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I dunno bout the mooger, West Pest seems like the better deal

net work error posted:

Take the challenge if you dare:

Lol of course I can't ID anything made after 2010, really disrespectful to the ER-1 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the new moog synth looks like it sounds great it’s just very funny to see people make videos about it getting released the instant the embargo lifts that only ever compares it to other moog products. influencer marketing will always just be very funny to me no matter how good the product being advertised is