Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Side comment; has anyone seen stylerenz primer acting hydrophobic to paint after applying? I am very confused about that.

It’s because they turned it into hot poo poo during the pandemic then ‘fixed’ it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Side comment; has anyone seen stylerenz primer acting hydrophobic to paint after applying? I am very confused about that.

They mucked with their formula during the pandemic. They denied having done so, even as twitter blew up with people showing before and after differences in behaviour. Then, the claimed they had fixed the problem which previously they denied existed. It's tough to know if there is still a problem with what they are currently churning out, or if people are still getting old bottles. They never did a recall.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That really sucks to hear, it was my go-to primer.

e: Couldn't really see anything on twitter even searching by years, are you sure it wasn't a bad batch and lovely sales tactics?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

It’s because they turned it into hot poo poo during the pandemic then ‘fixed’ it.

that's roughly when I bought it, in 2021? i think

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

After a long time messing with the base, this thing is done.

Shout out to the cute little guy in the pipe

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

ijyt posted:

e: Couldn't really see anything on twitter even searching by years, are you sure it wasn't a bad batch and lovely sales tactics?

I gave it multiple chances over the best part of a year because previously I really liked it. I’ve posted this picture a few times but here:

The newer bottles were just trash over that time, all of them had the same issue.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I wanna try that Vallejo Red-Brown primer for undercoating yellow!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm not going to spike my airbrush into the toilet or whatever but my next one won't be with them - what's a good alt for when I want to replace my patriot/sotar when they biff?

Just hold your nose and enjoy that it's got a lifetime warranty.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm not going to spike my airbrush into the toilet or whatever but my next one won't be with them - what's a good alt for when I want to replace my patriot/sotar when they biff?
You’d think they’d be used to wearing masks while they work being an airbrush company and all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

badger more like badgerms gonna liquefy their lungs

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can any company even vaguely related to this hobby just Be Normal so I'm not constantly having to figure out how to avoid giving my money to the worst people in the world.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can any company even vaguely related to this hobby just Be Normal so I'm not constantly having to figure out how to avoid giving my money to the worst people in the world.

No.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Big companies will almost always disappoint you if you hold even vaguely left-leaning political beliefs, especially in the tabletop gaming sphere where there is an over representation of reactionaries and upper middle class white guys.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I haven't seen Vallejo do anything stupid, thankfully.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used to like that primer, but the last two bottles of black I purchased got gloopy real quick, if not immediately. Tons of clogging issues, now I just rattlecan black to save me the headache.

White has been fine to this point, so I dunno.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I haven't seen Vallejo do anything stupid, thankfully.

Aren't they primarily an actual art company what expanded into wargame and model paints and supplies?

I mean, a chud will always show their whole rear end at some point, but it seems like it might be tougher to when you have a corporate structure that also has to worry about THE BRAND's reputation with more normal people and regular artists.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ijyt posted:

Maybe it was Facebook and those posts got purged? See Mr. Teatime's posts though. It documented sufficiently so as to render Badger's gaslighting effort on the "nothing changed" front worthy of ridicule. Even before they announced the return to their original supplier for some chemical component, you know, for the product that hadn't been changed at all.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

I doubt it, but maybe a normal painting video will help you handle companies being wankers:

https://youtu.be/8uAGWAyj47s

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Starting out in this hobby with this guy. Just been messing with the base colors; black, runelord, leadbelcher and some tesseract. Decently happy with how he's turning out but I'm kinda wanting to add some random color on just parts of the armor, like just the shoulderplates or something, any suggestions on what could fit in?

I really like how just a tiny bit of tesseract on the barrell comes out, not a fan of painting the whole thing in that color.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Really depends on if there's a specific dynasty or tomb world you're going for.

You could paint it like part of the Sautekh Dynasty which is the "default" Necron scheme you mostly see in promotional material. Maynarkh Dynasty has glowing orange accents. Nihilakh Dynasty rocks teal and green accents.

Here's some stuff from WarCom that might inspire:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/02/dynastic-colours/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/21/necrons-painted-by-the-experts/

and Goonhammer:

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-necrons/

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Not trying to make a dynasty accurate color, more just messing around and trying to make something that looks good. If I end up liking it I might color the other two guys in the starter box the same way and think about collecting an necron army.

Those links are helpful though, thanks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Starting out in this hobby with this guy. Just been messing with the base colors; black, runelord, leadbelcher and some tesseract. Decently happy with how he's turning out but I'm kinda wanting to add some random color on just parts of the armor, like just the shoulderplates or something, any suggestions on what could fit in?

I really like how just a tiny bit of tesseract on the barrell comes out, not a fan of painting the whole thing in that color.

An easy way to add some different shades and values would be to pick up a wash or two. Nuln Oil is a great wash and it applies very easily and you will be immediately surprised how much it can impact the areas with lots of little nooks and crannies and sharp edges, which are plentiful on the Necrons. The washes add interest without drastically shifting the colors you chose. Orange and red are colors I see somewhat often to highlight Necrons. Sometimes teal. I don't think I have seen much yellow or white.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Laughing Zealot posted:

Some things that would be easy / maybe helpful:

* A glaze of black or some other dark color over the silver bits. The values of the gold and silver are the same, so the whole mini reads as one big surface instead of "parts"
* Some chipping or weathering on the gold. There are dents in the sculpt, so he's obviously beaten up a little, so lean into it.

And then do a contrasting base: since the model is light / bright, a dark and textured base will be nice.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Not trying to make a dynasty accurate color, more just messing around and trying to make something that looks good. If I end up liking it I might color the other two guys in the starter box the same way and think about collecting an necron army.

Those links are helpful though, thanks.

If you are just starting the hobby and are willing to slowly build your collection I would consider this partwork magazine : https://warhammer40000imperium-usa.com/

It is delivered monthly (if you are in the US. If you are in the UK I think you can just pick it up weekly) and has a graduated introduction to the rules of WH40K, and gradually builds up an Imperium Army of Space Marines, a few Admech guys, and a few Sisters of Battle along with a sizeable Necron army to fight against. It also comes with some paints, a few hobby tools, some terrain, and a few other goodies. It is a little expensive, but the total savings of the collection is pretty good compared to what the models would sell for at GW MSRP. One potential drawback is that it would be about 2 years to finish the collection, but on the plus side that might keep a more manageable painting schedule for you.

Overview of Imperium here --> https://www.fauxhammer.com/featured/warhammer-imperium-magazine-contents-list-issues-1-80/

Description of full contents and the cost savings calculations here --> https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-imperium-magazine-full-collection-savings-breakdown/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no idea this was a thing and I'm very interested.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm on wave four and getting wave five later this month, it's good for noobs

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I canceled the insurance on a motorcycle I haven't ridden in over a year, signed up for Imperium, and I'm still saving money.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:allears:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

As someone who wears a mask all day for work, I'm kinda on Badger's side here.

gently caress that poo poo, I'd rather stay home.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just imagine that all the con breath also contains aerosolized acrylic paint particles

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It is entirely their prerogative to stay home.

But

They also don't understand what's going on

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In a crowded exposition hall where you probably have to speak in raised voices to be heard it probably makes sense to wear a mask. If you are going there with the intention to speak to and be in the close proximity of hundreds or maybe even over a thousand other people all who have recently traveled to be there and will be traveling when they leave it seems prudent and responsible to wear a mask, regardless if you want to or not. I certainly don't want to wear a mask but I do when it would be prudent, out of consideration of the others I am directly interacting with and of society at large.

If a company is going to miss a big expo in which they could sell hundreds of their products, or at least help get their name out there, because they don't want to wear a mask that seems like a poor business decision, but advertising this fact seems like a terrible business decision and reads to be some sort of chud virtue signaling.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

:qq:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny Nox posted:

yeah, id rather stay home from work too

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:jerkbag:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

:qq:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

This is a weird question but has anyone ever experienced resin parts rupturing in an ultrasonic cleaner before? I had one resin base look like something burst inside it and chalked it up to a bad cast or something but I just fished a resin drop pod out and one of the doors has experienced the exact same thing. Did I literally manage to boil some uncured liquid in a void or something and pop the dang thing? :psyduck:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

This is a weird question but has anyone ever experienced resin parts rupturing in an ultrasonic cleaner before? I had one resin base look like something burst inside it and chalked it up to a bad cast or something but I just fished a resin drop pod out and one of the doors has experienced the exact same thing. Did I literally manage to boil some uncured liquid in a void or something and pop the dang thing? :psyduck:

I've never seen this, but I've only done a couple dozen prints on my 3d printer.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Don't ultrasonic cleaners heat up the cleaning fluid?
It would make sense if there was a pocket of uncured resin, heat could cause it to expand and crack the exterior of the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

I don't know if I've put anything cast resin in a cleaner, but I've put printed pieces in and when they come out they're covered in microfractures.