Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Hold up, are you calling a create-a-character a "Mary Sue" now? Do you know what a Mary Sue is?

Isn't that what an all-powerful self insert is? Or does it have to be a self-insert of the author (i.e. the devs) and not the player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kibayasu posted:

Well the ending cutscene of the first game was some amount of time after the end of the game part of the game so that’s probably the “directly” it’s following. I’m also assuming it’s a very much “we have to hide what you can do” situation and you won’t be flinging rat tornadoes at not-Catholics

PT1 was so good :lol:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

deep dish peat moss posted:

(Edit: Oops there's one gameplay screenshot which shows that it's also a deckbuilder :v: )
Whelp, that just killed my interest in the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a heads up, if anyone is expecting this to be a Marvel X-Com temper your expectations now:

Ooof, I want to be positive, but none of this sounds good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean create a characters are Mary Sues, I thought that was the point. If they aren’t then a named character works better in ever situation

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

PT1 was so good :lol:

I had some issues with the stealth but rats-as-magic is a very good hook.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well for one a Mary Sue is a woman, and create a characters can be men or women or maybe even more.

For another, a Mary Sue has specific narrative conventions and requirements attached and while a create a character is necessarily a player self insert around which the narrative will revolve, the other conventions may not necessarily apply. The whole point of a game is challenge and growth after all, so by definition you're not going to start out with everyone loving you or thinking you're great and being competent at everything, otherwise there's no game there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Hold up, are you calling a create-a-character a "Mary Sue" now? Do you know what a Mary Sue is?

Also you forgot to mention the CARD BASED BATTLING SYSTEM aka something no one ever asked for from Marvel XCom

The reason I said Mary Sue is because the character in question is:

1) An unheard-of young woman
2) That you don't create, you just pick her powers
3) And she is the key to defeating an ancient power that all of the marvel superheroes combined couldn't defeat without her
4) Because she is (iirc) the big bad evil villain's daughter who is secretly thousands of years old, or something like that (going off an interview I read a year ago here)

I was going with the fanfic theme since I also called the game Disney-sanctioned fanfic, and The Hunter is the mary sue that the fanfic writers (Firaxis) inserted as the new-to-the-superhero-business-but-all-powerful protagonist who solves everything :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 10, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have never seen a create a character we’re you have to grow unless you are being literal and mean gain more levels. They are just the characters that come in and solve all the situations the previous characters are unable to solve for no real reason other than they are the player insert.

The definition of a Mary Sue

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I honestly don't really care about the new Marvel Xcom but I especially don't care about those reasons not to care about it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Mary Sue is supposed to refer to the author's incongruous self-insert character, not the reader's (or in this case player's). If anything, the player character is the one character in the game that fundamentally cannot be considered a Mary Sue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But most create a characters give you options that let you pick how your involved how is that in any way different outside just trying to adhere to a strict definition for no real benefit

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Volte posted:

Mary Sue is supposed to refer to the author's incongruous self-insert character, not the reader's (or in this case player's). If anything, the player character is the one character in the game that fundamentally cannot be considered a Mary Sue.

What if the self-insert character is also the first person narrator? Then the video game player's actions could still be the self-insert gratification of the creator.

This is getting into some deep epistemological poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the last time I read a Marvel comic it was about a character named Cindy Moon, a.k.a. Silk, whose superpower was that she and Spider-Man really really wanted to gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

the last time I read a Marvel comic it was about a character named Cindy Moon, a.k.a. Silk, whose superpower was that she and Spider-Man really really wanted to gently caress

That was Dan Slott and once the character got out of his hands that plot line died quickly

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

This argument is extremely dumb all around and I'm sorry for making a post that started it but the character in this case is explicitly not a character created by the players and it is not a character representative of the player, it is the writer-inserted protagonist that is one of 12 characters that the player plays as, and the that the narrative centers around because they can defeat a foe too strong from the entire Marvel Superhero universe to defeat, despite them being a complete unknown with secret ancient demon girl powers.

e: I think maybe what caused confusion is that I said "Mary Sue self-insert" but the "self" I was referring to is not the player, it is the writer of the metaphorical fanfiction that this game is which I didn't make much more clear initially and I can totally see how in the context of a video-game discussion the phrase "self-insert" makes one think of create-a-character

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think "mary sue" and "self insert" are terms that can overlap but don't necessarily mean the same thing as each other. mary sues are characters that can do anything and everything and whatever flaws they have are superficial. a self-insert is someone explicitly sticking a stand-in for themselves in something. a character can be one or the other or both or neither

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The 7th Guest posted:

Beneath Oresa (2022) - Fast paced turn-based deckbuilding roguelite. Demo out now

This seems like a decent Slay the Spire clone. It has pretty good production values. It could use some tooltips, but that's probably an EA thing.

The demo let's you run through a single level, stopping right before the "Tyrant" at the end. Very StS.

The string of icons at the bottom is the map of the level, sometimes you can choose between forks, much like StS.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The reason I said Mary Sue is because the character in question is:

1) An unheard-of young woman
2) That you don't create, you just pick her powers
Wait a sec, they said back when they revealed it that you can create and design your own character, and they've used gender neutral language and called said character "the hunter" ever since. Did this change at some point? Is your create a character now stuck to the design on the box?

3) And she is the key to defeating an ancient power that all of the marvel superheroes combined couldn't defeat without her
4) Because she is (iirc) the big bad evil villain's daughter who is secretly thousands of years old, or something like that (going off an interview I read a year ago here)
Yeah "the hunter" is the child of lilith who will obviously be key in defeating lilith and sealing her away again for magical reasons. If they want to give your create a character a reason to be involved that's a good one.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mary Sue is also anymore very overused in online discussions and too often just as a lazy way to say someone dislikes something.

In this context it is definitely not the writer's weirdo insert character but the bog-standard game dev concept of making the player powerful and impactful. In a game full of Iron Mens and what have you unless you are playing those heroes the player is likely relegated to watching them do the big stuff ala WoW where the player's party/raid fight a bunch of things and then watch a powerful character actually solve it. You could make a fine game around that concept but it's not terribly appropriate to a dumb super hero story so you need to make the player uniquely powerful and not just Captain America's weapon caddy.

In these kinds of games since the writing generally sucks I don't think premade characters are worth the loss of gameplay flexibility. I'd be excited about assembling my own squad of super powered weirdos but everything about this seems boring to me. City of Heroes the tactical rpg would be way goofier and more fun.

edit: posted below that the character is actually player designed makes this pretty straightforward to me :shrug:

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 10, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Wait a sec, they said back when they revealed it that you can create and design your own character, and they've used gender neutral language and called said character "the hunter" ever since. Did this change at some point? Is your create a character now stuck to the design on the box?

Oh, you're right - all the preview material showed a specific female character but it turns out you can choose their gender and skin tone but nothing else about them. My mistake, I didn't know that!

Anyway my post that stemmed all of this was making fun of the game for being a fanfic, because it is literally a fanfic, there was no writing collaboration with Marvel, Firaxis are fans of the "Rise of the Midnight Sons" comic series and wrote their own fictional version of it, and created the character The Hunter as their fanfic protagonist who all the superheroes of the Marvelverse need to ask for help. This was posted with a comedic slant because this is a comedy website forum and therefore I tend to post with a comedic slant, so I continued the fanfiction metaphor by calling the author-created protagonist a Mary Sue - a term that is adjacent to author-created insert characters in fanfiction. I'm sorry that this caused such a big derail but most of this discussion happened at least one full page after my post and nothing from my original post was quoted except for me saying "mary sue" so most of the people now discussing it should know that what they are discussing is a joke about the game being fanfic, which is now impossible to find comedic because it has been explained with such granularity. I will avoid using terms like "mary sue" in the future because it's clear that it sparks derails and debates and precision of language grows increasingly important in humor in order to more clearly demarcate it from ignorance and bigotry :tipshat:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 10, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyway my post that stemmed all of this was making fun of the game for being a fanfic, because it is literally a fanfic, there was no writing collaboration with Marvel

Ah yes, the internally consistent Marvel Universe which has never had retcons, contradicting publications, spin-offs or alternate dimensions

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
They could fill two slots with Jonny Blaze and the Spirit Of Vengeance.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here is the real reason I'm so mad about Midnight Suns, when I first heard about it I thought "superhero x-com is one of the best ideas I've ever heard!" and then I found out that's not what it is:

Marvel Midnight Suns would be one billion times more exciting if they didn't use iconic Marvel superheroes and instead either dropped the license or gave us nameless nobodies that can actually die.

How fuckin' cool would it be if Arch-Captain Thunderpants or whatever, the sole survivor from your wasted rookie squad, was still kicking and blasting superheroes in the face with you in the late-game and you marvel at him shooting whatever freeze-rays from his fingertips while realizing that you just got to emergently play his entire origin story and watch him go from nameless nobody who could freeze a glass of water to Arch-Captain Thunderpants, a name that makes supervillains poo poo themselves.

But no, instead we get a bunch of already-established characters that canonically can not die and are never in danger

This is also why I didn't play Chimera Squad. Stop putting forced characterization in my rookie meat-grinder simulator :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ten months later and you are still put-out that you cannot slaughter your forces

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Here is the real reason I'm so mad about Midnight Suns, when I first heard about it I thought "superhero x-com is one of the best ideas I've ever heard!" and then I found out that's not what it is:

I dunno, you seem to hate the created character aspect while also lamenting the fact that it's not an entire team of created characters.

I'm curious about Midnight Suns as I like tactics and superheroes, I haven't played one of those since Freedom Force.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

I dunno, you seem to hate the created character aspect while also lamenting the fact that it's not an entire team of created characters.

I'm curious about Midnight Suns as I like tactics and superheroes, I haven't played one of those since Freedom Force.

As I've pointed out in my posts, you may want to temper your expectations (edit: spelling out the context to help alleviate your confusion: temper your expectations about it being a tactics game) because Midnight Suns is a narrative-focused friendship simulator and deck builder, and firaxis has hinted at it not being much of a tactics game. Also it doesn't feature any player-created characters. If you read my posts you would also probably recognize that there's not much "hate" in them beyond jokes about how bad the game is going to be :confused:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 10, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

As I've pointed out in my posts, you may want to temper your expectations because Midnight Suns is a narrative-focused friendship simulator and deck builder, and firaxis has hinted at it not being much of a tactics game. Also it doesn't feature any player-created characters. If you read my posts you would also probably recognize that there's not much "hate" in them beyond jokes about how bad the game is going to be :confused:

Yeah, I like all that poo poo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh, cool, it sounds like you might like the game then and I'm sorry for mistaking the part of your post about you liking tactics games as meaning that you were hoping it was a tactics game :cheers:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What the gently caress is a "create a character" and is it like a Character Creator?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the key thing to get mad or glad about regarding Midnight Suns is that it was rumored as "Marvel Superhero Xcom from Firaxis, the makers of Xcom" and then they confirmed the rumors but it turns out that it's a Slay the Spire type of game instead and Slay the Spire is a fun and well designed game, perhaps less so its many clones, but if you were hyped for "Marvel Superhero Xcom" this ain't it and that's a shame since we're not getting any other Superhero Xcom games on the horizon.

On the other hand if you love Slay the Spire and wanted a Marvel Superhero version of that you have every reason to be glad.

Oh, you're right - all the preview material showed a specific female character but it turns out you can choose their gender and skin tone but nothing else about them. My mistake, I didn't know that!

Anyway my post that stemmed all of this was making fun of the game for being a fanfic, because it is literally a fanfic, there was no writing collaboration with Marvel, Firaxis are fans of the "Rise of the Midnight Sons" comic series and wrote their own fictional version of it, and created the character The Hunter as their fanfic protagonist who all the superheroes of the Marvelverse need to ask for help. This was posted with a comedic slant because this is a comedy website forum and therefore I tend to post with a comedic slant, so I continued the fanfiction metaphor by calling the author-created protagonist a Mary Sue - a term that is adjacent to author-created insert characters in fanfiction. I'm sorry that this caused such a big derail but most of this discussion happened at least one full page after my post and nothing from my original post was quoted except for me saying "mary sue" so most of the people now discussing it should know that what they are discussing is a joke about the game being fanfic, which is now impossible to find comedic because it has been explained with such granularity. I will avoid using terms like "mary sue" in the future because it's clear that it sparks derails and debates and precision of language grows increasingly important in humor in order to more clearly demarcate it from ignorance and bigotry :tipshat:
Well you see the thing is when you want people to recognize what you are writing as a joke, first of all it has to be funny.

"Marvel Midnight Suns would be one billion times more exciting if they didn't use iconic Marvel superheroes and instead either dropped the license or gave us nameless nobodies that can actually die."
I dunno it seems like they could easily have all the big name superheroes not die but be knocked out for X missions, and when you approach the endgame being gone for the rest of the game. As long as they don't actually die there's no continuity problem.

Sab669 posted:

What the gently caress is a "create a character" and is it like a Character Creator?
Yes it's a Character Creator Created Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaioZiBn7Y

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 11, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It is starting to sound a little like X-Men: Destiny, from the character perspective at least.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Oh, cool, it sounds like you might like the game then and I'm sorry for mistaking the part of your post about you liking tactics games as meaning that you were hoping it was a tactics game :cheers:

I mean the gameplay video makes it look like at least somewhat like a tactics game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7_mrxDEeA

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Lissen here bud if the game is moddable and i can eventually play goku teams up with spider man while he dates dr doom i will buy it

e: Cyclops mod where all of his dialog lines are changed to "JEAN!!!!"

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 11, 2022

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zachack posted:

I mean the gameplay video makes it look like at least somewhat like a tactics game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7_mrxDEeA

I've been meaning to post this video.

Based on what they show, it still sounds pretty good to me besides the whole "Talking to characters around the base to build relationships so you can unlock cards" and having a creatable character as a protagonist. Should have just made Blade (or whoever was the main POV in the original comic) the main character.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Midnight Suns looks cool and I appreciate Magik and Nico Minoru getting some drat screentime.

Other than that bad movie that had Magik. And I guess the Runaways show I didn't watch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So other than this Marvel game which will apparently be amazing what are other good nu Xcom style games?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Qf1ueyh1w

Here's a 30 minute mission with Magik, Spider-Man and a custom Hunter. Very evocative of Slay the Spire with a lot of positioning elements within each skirmish, especially with Magik as her main skills look like they are about placing portals in a location, then kicking an enemy through the other side so they collide with other enemies or environmental hazards. It seems pretty tactical to me but I do enjoy the occasional card games like Spire, Inscryption, Magic the Gathering, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AngryBooch posted:

Here's a 30 minute mission with Magik, Spider-Man and a custom Hunter. Very evocative of Slay the Spire

I don't see it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ChrisopherOdd's video took me from super meh on the game since it was announced to at least mildly interested. If the systems seem to hold up across the entire game I could see picking it up a bit on sale instead of just never buying it. A lot of the abilities look fun to use and like good puzzle pieces.