Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mackerel, whether roasted, vinegared, or smoked, is a favorite of mine, but I'd like to get more into tinned fish, and I had my first can of mackerel the other day, Japanese-style in soy sauce. I put it in storebought ramen with ginger, garlic, and a little perilla oil (didn't have sesame), topped with a poached egg. It was good! Absolutely bursting with umami. I should have taken a picture, though, because it wasn't exactly pretty. Now to try the tins of sardines and mackerel (most packed olive oil) in my pantry, probably on toast? I'm new at this.

I also bought a tube of Kalles Kaviar. Again, smoked seafood is a big YES for me, but I'm not huge on cod roe. Any serving suggestions apart from the standard "on toast" or "on boiled eggs"?

I'm going to try it on crusty bread right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Put it on Jacob's Cream Cracker.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's good! Not sure I can convince my family, but gently caress 'em. They can have their NZ Marmite.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Put it on Jacob's Cream Cracker.
I'll look for that at the store; we'll probably have something similar, anyway. I'm guessing it's good on a Wasa, too.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hirayuki posted:

Mackerel, whether roasted, vinegared, or smoked, is a favorite of mine, but I'd like to get more into tinned fish, and I had my first can of mackerel the other day, Japanese-style in soy sauce. I put it in storebought ramen with ginger, garlic, and a little perilla oil (didn't have sesame), topped with a poached egg. It was good! Absolutely bursting with umami. I should have taken a picture, though, because it wasn't exactly pretty. Now to try the tins of sardines and mackerel (most packed olive oil) in my pantry, probably on toast? I'm new at this.

I also bought a tube of Kalles Kaviar. Again, smoked seafood is a big YES for me, but I'm not huge on cod roe. Any serving suggestions apart from the standard "on toast" or "on boiled eggs"?

I'm going to try it on crusty bread right now.

Mackerel, best fish. I had some smoked tinned mackerel, German style, in baked pasta last week.
Probably will eat another can on some salad for the weekend if this heatwave continues.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/728431839147982928/984833615324147792/e6ca50fdc2ad3d6b90370c1f9a45c87d.mp4

The constant calls for engagement, the narrator having the slightly off cadence of TTS, combining grams with teaspoons, plus the absolute :psyduck: that is the recipe, all make that video feel like an alien conducting some kind of experiment on humans.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
so where's the roommate's review?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Mr.Radar posted:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/728431839147982928/984833615324147792/e6ca50fdc2ad3d6b90370c1f9a45c87d.mp4

The constant calls for engagement, the narrator having the slightly off cadence of TTS, combining grams with teaspoons, plus the absolute :psyduck: that is the recipe, all make that video feel like an alien conducting some kind of experiment on humans.

Mmm, slurried beef, my favourite :discourse:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For some reason about 60% of all burgers in Scandinavia are made from something resembling that.

It's like they haven't heard about just using regular beef except in expensive hipster places.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cyberia posted:

Mmm, slurried beef, my favourite :discourse:

It's almost sort of vaguely creamed chipped beef, deep fried? It feels like it should be really wet, but apparently it's oddly dry? I don't feel like I like it? Please comment below. We want to know.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr.Radar posted:

I like the frying pan switching for no reason.

E: I just showed this to my girlfriend, and realized that some of those measurements don't match the stated value at all, also I think that's yogurt and not heavy cream at the beginning. :psyduck:

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

so where's the roommate's review?

I feel like the roomate is just a very polite person that will eat whatever weird poo poo in the name of being polite.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jun 11, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

If they started with the flour and added the egg, milk, etc. before putting the beef in last your brain would probably accept this as a fritter of some kind with no problem, but starting by making a beef milk soup just triggers some horror from which you can't recover.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God dammit stop saying recipeee

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr.Radar posted:

This puts me in mind of those lovely Eastern European nonsense videos they put on Youtube for bots and children. All that's missing is a lifehack about putting lipstick in a glue bottle and Spiderman making GBS threads rubber balls into pregnant Elsa's mouth.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Honestly, that actually sounds good. I wouldn't use whole (halved) pecans, I'd chop/grind them up fine to bulk the bbq sauce. And I'm not much for tofu, but I'd give it a shot before suggesting major changes.

Haven't had a quail's egg, so that's a blank spot in my experience (fell down a reddit hole trying to remember the term "taste hyperphantasia," that was a mistake and I'm reflexively saying I don't have that to get away from the weirdos claiming they do), but I've heard they're denser and richer than chicken eggs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

For some reason about 60% of all burgers in Scandinavia are made from something resembling that.

It's like they haven't heard about just using regular beef except in expensive hipster places.

Not even during german occupation when people had to come up with emergency solutions to make due did they make abominations like that.

Mr.Radar posted:

combining grams with teaspoons
Do you weigh the spice you use in your cooking?

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Jun 11, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'd eat that and probably be reasonably satisfied.

rydiafan posted:

If they started with the flour and added the egg, milk, etc. before putting the beef in last your brain would probably accept this as a fritter of some kind with no problem, but starting by making a beef milk soup just triggers some horror from which you can't recover.

Yeah, it's the rear end backwards process that makes no sense, but asi wrote in another thread, the result is basically just a savory crumpet. I'd also replace the meat with cubed ham.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jun 11, 2022

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

What's weird about combining grams with teaspoons? If a recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of something I'm going to use a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon rather than try to weigh out 2.5g of spice on my kitchen scales.

In theory anyway. In practice I just put the right amount in because I know what a teaspoon of stuff looks like.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

What's weird about combining grams with teaspoons? If a recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of something I'm going to use a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon rather than try to weigh out 2.5g of spice on my kitchen scales.

In theory anyway. In practice I just put the right amount in because I know what a teaspoon of stuff looks like.

I would have expected mL instead (1 tsp is (depending on where you live) either approximately or exactly 5 mL). As an American I would expect the recipe to either consistently use metric (grams/mL) or customary units (pounds/ounces/teaspoons). Although considering that the teaspoon is used as a unit in some other English-speaking counties maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jun 11, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dareon posted:

Haven't had a quail's egg, so that's a blank spot in my experience (fell down a reddit hole trying to remember the term "taste hyperphantasia," that was a mistake and I'm reflexively saying I don't have that to get away from the weirdos claiming they do), but I've heard they're denser and richer than chicken eggs.

Denser and richer but they still taste mostly like chicken eggs which is why you can use them in 'mini' recipes without throwing the taste too far off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean it's basically a savoury pancake with meat in it.

I guess if you can't get beef but can get dairy and flour, it makes sense to bulk out the meat?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's basically a savoury pancake with meat in it.

I guess if you can't get beef but can get dairy and flour, it makes sense to bulk out the meat?

Sometimes people would use potatoes or peas to bulk out the meat because meat was expensive, but nothing resembling that video.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I kept thinking “well like, that’s just a blueberry pancake … but with meat instead of blueberries”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I kept thinking “well like, that’s just a blueberry pancake … but with meat instead of blueberries”

We have something like that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fl%C3%A4skpannkaka
But, and I feel that I must stress that again, that's not how we make burgers. I honestly don't know what FreudianSlippers is talking about.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

AlbieQuirky posted:

Food is unbelievably cheap in Brazil by US standards. Fancy cocktail for the equivalent of $6? Steak tartare for $10? Seafood stew with saffron for $15? There are lots of other reasons to go to Brazil, but the great food at low prices doesn’t hurt.
Also true for Central America, you can get incredible food, fish in particular, for very low prices. It's gone up since then, but within the last decade I got a kilo of mahi for like $7 that was fresh enough to make a killer poisson cru. Also, $1 margaritas.

Hirayuki posted:

Going to assume you've had nova on a bagel (with all the fixins of course). If not, do that. Smoked fish also works great in tacos and especially cracker dip, but I was not impressed when I tried smoked shrimp.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kinda coming around on the "burgers" on the grounds that if you used cabbage instead of beef everyone would think you made some decent okonomiyaki. Well, maybe skip the inexplicable dairy too. At least they didn't put them between buns, I was dreading that moment.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

no sugar added, BARF

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lack of cross-contamination is impressive.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

LifeSunDeath posted:

no sugar added, BARF

there is so much garbage ice cream out there. I had to teach my parents about real ice cream vs. "frozen dessert product" recently.

but good ice cream is getting so expensive. if it's ever on sale I always grab something nice (I miss living in west Oregon where I could find deals on Tillamook)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Lack of cross-contamination is impressive.

I assume each was cut and then carefully shaved to remove it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Technically the bulk of food crops rely on domesticated animals for pollination, but I've never heard vegans raise a fuss about those anyways.

It's a very arbitrary philosophy with a dumb name.

I think they were talking more about how figs end up with wasps and other burrowing insects dying in them so often that there is an actual FDA regulation about the maximum allowed amount of wasp heads per fig to be safe for consumption hth

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Every fig has a dead figwasp inside it. Mmm.

(I actually love figs.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

But, and I feel that I must stress that again, that's not how we make burgers. I honestly don't know what FreudianSlippers is talking about.

I was exaggerating slightly but I've had a lot of lovely burgers in Sweden which taste like they could be made from something resembling that concoction because they sure as hell weren't just regular ground beef. Also a couple in Denmark but not as widespread since Danes seem to be generally slightly better at food than Swedes. The texture and taste of these burgs resembling what we in Iceland call kjötfars which is a weird mix of beef, pork, mutton, potato flour and water ground until it becomes a sloppy slurry and looks like this

Basically bland depression era food

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlbieQuirky posted:

(I actually love figs.)

...Even when I posted that I had forgotten that the whole figwasp/fig fruit reproductive cycle does, in fact, involve at least one wasp dying inside the fig by its very definition. You just don't want more than one, either because it'll make the fruit burst or because it means there's something other than figwasps within.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was exaggerating slightly but I've had a lot of lovely burgers in Sweden which taste like they could be made from something resembling that concoction because they sure as hell weren't just regular ground beef. Also a couple in Denmark but not as widespread since Danes seem to be generally slightly better at food than Swedes. The texture and taste of these burgs resembling what we in Iceland call kjötfars which is a weird mix of beef, pork, mutton, potato flour and water ground until it becomes a sloppy slurry and looks like this

Looks like white people chicken breast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

(I actually love figs.)

only some species; commerically cultivated figs are a female parthenocarpic variety, and have been bred not to need pollination

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ror posted:

but good ice cream is getting so expensive.

EVERYTHING is getting so expensive, god drat.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

As a Swede I was a bit confused about this but I think I solved the mystery. I looked up the really bottom tier frozen hamburger patties in a few of the big Swedish supermarket chains and they all have potato flour in them. No wonder that it reminds you of kjötfars since both are just industrially processed meat combined with potato flour.

You've been eating at places serving awful frozen burgers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pretty sure I had a burger like that at a musical festival in Belgium once. There was definitely something not quite intentionally potato-y about it. Not something I encountered outside places where it's possible to feed drunk metalheads anything for an insane price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tunicate posted:

only some species; commerically cultivated figs are a female parthenocarpic variety, and have been bred not to need pollination

Oh! Today I learned, thanks!