Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So if I want to do Columbo, what? Reaction Speed, Logic, Conceptualization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The real question to ask is what's the most worthless skill and why is it Drama

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Gaius Marius posted:

SAVOIR FAIRE [Trivial: Failure] What?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Savour Faire is interesting because while inland empire and shivers may ask you to attempt things that are not really possible, they can actually manage to do.. something. Even if it's not real. Savour Faire on the other hand actively tells you to do physically impossible feats that you cannot possibly perform and then blatantly lies to you that you did them.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NewMars posted:

Savour Faire is interesting because while inland empire and shivers may ask you to attempt things that are not really possible, they can actually manage to do.. something. Even if it's not real. Savour Faire on the other hand actively tells you to do physically impossible feats that you cannot possibly perform and then blatantly lies to you that you did them.

hey, it does get you up that ladder, just... not the way it says it will

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dmboogie posted:

hey, it does get you up that ladder, just... not the way it says it will

Why climb or teleport when you can just rip and tear your way in??????

In a reasonable facsimile thereof to this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Josef bugman posted:

What skills are associated with the politics of the game. Whilst I know that Rhetoric is the one used for Communism, I think that Volition may have a part to play in it

Volition tells you that you should persue Communism when all your skills go "meh" *precisely* because it's failed in the past and is doomed to fail. You should try because it's impossible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Despite owning the game since like a few months after release I finally started playing, thanks to that AI image bot stuff going around and some discussion of the game on a discord I frequent. Game's fantastic. I'm not far in the game at all (About 8pm on the first day) but I'm already captivated by it.

As an anarchist I appreciate "they were killed so bad most people forgot they were there" line concerning the anarchists during the Revolution.

Game got some genuine reactions out of me, mostly laughs. The failures are as entertaining as the successes and it's real Lucasarts adventure game "try everything to see the funny dialogue" kind of energy that I'm really behind.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 10, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Heath posted:

Reaction Speed is the "oh, one more thing..." skill so yeah (though I had terrible Motorics and the only time it actually did the thing was in the first meeting with Klaasje). Empathy might help, and also Encyclopedia to keep a tidy archive of all the trivia bits your wife/nephew/barber/cousin casually told you the other day and just so happen to be vital information now.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Drama is needed too sire

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

What skills are associated with the politics of the game. Whilst I know that Rhetoric is the one used for Communism, I think that Volition may have a part to play in it

it's one hell of a moment for the early game and is totally awesome

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Gaius Marius posted:

Hey now. Drama makes you better at karaoke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

AnotherGamer posted:

From what I understand, you need to pass specific high Authority and Endurance checks AND fail a low Conceptualization one when you first talk to'em, which unlocks the options to ask him about his job, which turns out to be a pie delivery man, allowing you to ask him to deliver one for you, which you can then get when you meet him later in Whirling-In-Rags. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWAEvK8h-U

I'm not gonna lie, I'd be sore tempted to try a pie like that, even if it was delivered by a cryptofacist.

Party Boat posted:

The best example is Asterix. Cover to cover puns, translated into over 100 languages.

Shame about the racism in it, tho.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

Hey now. Drama makes you better at karaoke.

The "failed" karaoke performance is better than the successful one, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd be sore tempted to try a pie like that, even if it was delivered by a cryptofacist.

Shame about the racism in it, tho.

Yeah French people don't actually have noses like that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Somebody think of the Romans

e: Serious response: I'm guessing the racism in question is probably in the depiction of African cultures. It's been a long time since I read any Asterix so I don't actually remember but I could easily imagine something written by a western culture in the 60s and 70s being mildly racist at best which is obviously poo poo

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 10, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wafflecopper posted:

Somebody think of the Romans

e: Serious response: I'm guessing the racism in question is probably in the depiction of African cultures. It's been a long time since I read any Asterix so I don't actually remember but any actual racism is obviously poo poo

they're visually caricatured, but so is every other culture. asterix going to other countries and having adventures with funny foreigners is the content of every book.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

sebmojo posted:

they're visually caricatured, but so is every other culture. asterix going to other countries and having adventures with funny foreigners is the content of every book.

It's half the books, the other half is is village or gaul tour shenannigans or wacky new roman threat.
One moment dealing with becoming forced tourist hotspot or Normand invasion, the other traveling to Spain or Corsica.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

EorayMel posted:

Problem

A mass of fantastic races swirls in your head: desert pygmees playing with their own excrement, kojkos juggling potatoes, eczema ridden mauns grinning and dancing on wooden clogs. Everyone is there, the whole race gang, plus some that you may have come up with yourself: the thieving sub-kipts and the seolite cast of Fortunates hatching some kind of scheme. In the eye of this *race empyreon*, a vertigo reaching up to the heavens, you sense something... drawing nearer... nearer...

Solution

Everything is calm in the eye of the racestorm. Your mind is lucid and bright. The mindbending phylogenetics appear more distant and, to be fair, a little ridiculous. The great Race Mystery has cleared up. All that's left to do is to verbalize your thoughts - go and talk to Measurehead about your newly-found insights.

I did this and then walked over and told him that he just copied racism from white people and switched the races around. He got mad. 10/10 goty

It was an Encyclopedia/Visual Calculus run and I spent so much of the game saying things that were technically true but not at all helpful.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 10, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Encyclopedia is probably my favorite skill. You know so much and it's so worthless.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I love to do the innocence quiz with high encyclopedia.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Encyclopedia is probably my favorite skill. You know so much and it's so worthless.

Until you get the Wompty Dompty Dom internalized.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

If you wanna get technical, going by the numbers here and here, I'd argue it's Savoir Faire. With 143 passive checks, 4 white checks, and only 2 red checks, it's the second-least used skill in the game. And the actually least-used skill, Hand-Eye Coordination, has the most red checks of any skill, and obviously comes up at some pretty critical parts of the game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone feel the voice over's changed in one of the recent update? I was watching some recent playthrough and feels some of the line are delivered differently from what I remembered. Jean from what I remembered always snaps at Harry because he can't take Harry's poo poo anymore, but in the playthrough I am watching now he sounds more depressed in his delivery.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hand-eye coordination is used the least by far, but when you need it, man do you need it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

NewMars posted:

Hand-eye coordination is used the least by far, but when you need it, man do you need it.

Gamers stay winning

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

pedro0930 posted:

Anyone feel the voice over's changed in one of the recent update? I was watching some recent playthrough and feels some of the line are delivered differently from what I remembered. Jean from what I remembered always snaps at Harry because he can't take Harry's poo poo anymore, but in the playthrough I am watching now he sounds more depressed in his delivery.

Several voice actors/performances changed when they added narration for the updated version.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hand-eye is critical at one point if you're following the Inland Empire tie quest.

High or low, either way. But it will be critical.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I also love how Half-Light is mostly an unhelpful weirdo except when it comes to saving Harry's life

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

uPen posted:

Several voice actors/performances changed when they added narration for the updated version.

Jean's lines specifically got changed again some time after the final cut released - he sounds a lot... deeper and less emotive now i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDZUNmkD4I&t=11s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can't believe thees shiiiit

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Jean...

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

pedro0930 posted:

Yeah I noticed this specifically with Jean and Titus when I did my last playthrough to get the jacket achievement with Kim. Like they've definitely gone back and changed some lines *again* after the big voice update.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What's your favourite voice acting in the game, other than Kim?

I'm a big fan of Siileng.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The big scab guy is pretty good once you drill him a bit. Made me shiver.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you wanna get technical, going by the numbers here and here, I'd argue it's Savoir Faire. With 143 passive checks, 4 white checks, and only 2 red checks, it's the second-least used skill in the game. And the actually least-used skill, Hand-Eye Coordination, has the most red checks of any skill, and obviously comes up at some pretty critical parts of the game.

Savoir faire is fingerguns the skill and is thus the most useful skill

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Gaius Marius posted:

Savoir faire is fingerguns the skill and is thus the most useful skill

it also gets you into the harbour without having to internalise advanced phrenology so that's something

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

It got me into the mystery crate!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah I noticed this specifically with Jean and Titus when I did my last playthrough to get the jacket achievement with Kim. Like they've definitely gone back and changed some lines *again* after the big voice update.

I could swear the Scab Leader has an entirely different voice actor from the one after the full voice update. If not, that was one hell of a performance shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Heath posted:

I feel like Colombo has really high Volition too. Just really down to earth and whenever those snooty murderers are looking down on his clothes and his car, he never gets his morale rattled one bit.