Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The crystals and stuff aren't so bad really, you just make them as soon as you find the materials and then they grow while you're farming, mining, etc. They don't despawn and I can definitely find 20m to waste during the early part of the game before I have the power requirements necessary to realistically run an ae2 setup.

That said, definitely also don't feel bad about cheating them in/changing recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The whole crystal growing thing is certainly... A choice they made. It doesn't really bother me other than having to flick my magnet off when I get to the surface, it's just sorta a bizarre change to make from 1.12

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

1.19 drops and Fabric, Iris, Sodium, Lithium, Phosphorus et al all update day of, god drat :stare:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

It will absolutely never stop being the most creepy looking poo poo when people animate minecraft models with full range of movement and with non-pixelated mouths that have depth. How did this become a persistent aesthetic among minecraft youtube stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The algorithm demands big wacky faces

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

1.19 drops and Fabric, Iris, Sodium, Lithium, Phosphorus et al all update day of, god drat :stare:

Fabric is good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Danaru posted:

It doesn't really bother me other than having to flick my magnet off when I get to the surface

oo-err

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Taffer posted:

Fabric is good.

Honestly, once/if M&A ports to Fabric, I won't have much reason to stay with Forge

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Too many of my favorite tech mods are still forge only.
Otherwise I would love to play fabric.

It runs far smoother.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ash Rose posted:

It will absolutely never stop being the most creepy looking poo poo when people animate minecraft models with full range of movement and with non-pixelated mouths that have depth. How did this become a persistent aesthetic among minecraft youtube stuff.
so you mean like CaptainSparklez's style?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyu7-Jcyl_8&hd=1

I like that style of minecraft design upgrade, blocky with some slight increases like individual fingers(but still blocky), and a little bit of bendiness in the eyebrows, mouths, etc to give a wide range of expression. I think it's about the best you can possibly do to "enhance" minecraft's extremely basic character design while keeping the general style.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

New Ad shows off a little of the Create mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMfF9TYETM

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java---bedrock-edition-pc-out-june-7
"JAVA & BEDROCK EDITION FOR PC IS OUT ON JUNE 7
No more picking and choosing, Java and Bedrock will be sold together!"

"To be clear, Java and Bedrock will remain separate games with their own distinctive features."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 8, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a decent (hopefully quest based) modpack for Fabric yet? Been interested in checking it out and it's starting to seem like its getting enough stuff ported to be fun.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
So I've been craving some modded Minecraft lately and I keep thinking about this launcher/modpack I played a lot in like 2012...

It was an absolute chaotic mess of mods that added tons of dungeons and creatures that would appear as you explored, and it also had a ton of crafting mods like that thaumaturgy one. It even had stuff that was crazy at the time like being able to spawn workers who would mine for you. Maybe it was Technik?

Anyway I know a lot has changed but is there a pack with a similar all-inclusive balls to the wall feel? It was definitely a mess but it was really fun finding endless amounts of weird content on a new map and just getting lost in all of it.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Sounds like Hexxit. I'lll leave it to others to give modern equivalents.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Black Pants posted:

Hey so after the feedback of my space station pack and after failing to solve some issues that frustrated me, I decided that I had to start over and made a new station with a different design philosophy to better alleviate the problems I was having. This also included a revamped questline and a more refined progression especially on the tech side.

It's still.. largely around the same sort of completion percentage as before, but I've spent the time figuring out what I want to do and how I want to do it, so that first attempt was an important learning experience at least.

Anyway all this is to say I've uploaded a playtest to Curseforge and I'm waiting for it to be approved in case anyone wants to check out what I've been doing.

Edit: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp

Just shilling this one more time because I think I've fixed all the existing problems it had. At least based on feedback given so far. But I'm happy with it and work is continuing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Hoo boy just entered the creative tank era in Nomifactory, time to completely rethink my base

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I asked this earlier but I'm still having a problem with AE2 integrating with the microverse projectors in Nomifactory. Having messed with things a bit, I still run into situations where the I'm missing ingredients in the input buses. The buses have the room and the recipes have all the ingredients. I'm also using ME cables and not ME conduits. I've tried the facial interfaces as well as the block interfaces. Nothing so far has affected it. The Discord didn't have anything to say.

What I'm trying now is spacing the input buses out from each other and having one recipe per interface per input bus.

When I cancel the recipe, I'll just lose stuff like tier seven micro miners that were part of the process. Where the hell do they go?

Shipon posted:

Hoo boy just entered the creative tank era in Nomifactory, time to completely rethink my base

Just slapped on more floors -- especially when you get that creative RF cell. I'd probably be mostly done here if it weren't for all my mining missions clogging up and losing a pile of miners and advanced components into the void when I cancel the job.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Just shilling this one more time because I think I've fixed all the existing problems it had. At least based on feedback given so far. But I'm happy with it and work is continuing.

I'm happy you are enjoying your work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Just found out that in order to get GDLauncher to work with Curseforge *at all* you have to manually update it via downloading the GDLauncher installer again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
prediction: the post 1.16 mod era is going to gradually lose ground to Fabric and the next mod golden age will be on Fabric. It looks like the way Fabric works makes it a ton easier to port between versions, which is probably the silver bullet

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Impermanent posted:

prediction: the post 1.16 mod era is going to gradually lose ground to Fabric and the next mod golden age will be on Fabric. It looks like the way Fabric works makes it a ton easier to port between versions, which is probably the silver bullet

Yeah the full general optimization suite is already there for 1.19 along with Iris and shader support, REI, WTHIT, Origins, Xaero's, Tom's Storage, FallingTree, Appleskin, and the last couple mods I wanted (Mouse Tweaks and Carrier) are simple enough that while they haven't updated yet, I was able to hack in support for 1.19 just by changing an 8 to a 9 in the mod header lmao

...oh yeah, except for Create. They're making impressive headway, but still working towards a stable Fabric release for 1.18 and the 0.5 update for both Forge and Fabric so I think a 1.19 release might be a ways away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hmmm maybe I should give fabric a try.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just slapped on more floors -- especially when you get that creative RF cell. I'd probably be mostly done here if it weren't for all my mining missions clogging up and losing a pile of miners and advanced components into the void when I cancel the job.
This really feels like you may have missed turning on blocking mode on your interface that's connected to the input bus of the microuniverse projector.

I built my projectors in pairs with a single interface connecting the two input busses and a single interface 2 blocks away connecting the two output busses, and had this issue until I realized I forgot to turn on blocking mode.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

is the teleported supposed to work? I cannot find my way to the damaged section.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Ash Rose posted:

is the teleported supposed to work? I cannot find my way to the damaged section.

The quest log indicates that you have to go outside to get to it. You'll need to leave the safe confines of the station and find your way to the other part of the station. I suggest trying to make sure you do it in daylight hours as I tried to do it at night the first time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bhodi posted:

This really feels like you may have missed turning on blocking mode on your interface that's connected to the input bus of the microuniverse projector.

I built my projectors in pairs with a single interface connecting the two input busses and a single interface 2 blocks away connecting the two output busses, and had this issue until I realized I forgot to turn on blocking mode.

That's the logical conclusion but I had tried it both ways. I started with the recipes blocking but then also tried with it off on some notion that maybe these multi-stack, multi-cell recipes were aborting mid-insertion because something was already in the inventory. Somebody on Discord suggested putting a chest on the interface and sending that to the input and that ultimately worked. Whatever the build of Nomifactory I am using just cocks up on ME interfaces connecting directly to MV input buses.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't played Minecraft in years, the last time was when Technic was a big thing and I played a lot of that with my buddies. We're thinking of starting again, but I loaded up a random modpack using the loader that seems to be the popular one now and was pretty put off by achievements popping up constantly and some really out of place looking monsters and buildings.

What would be the pack to use if I want a mostly vanilla-ish Minecraft experience, with maybe a few updates (minimap ain't so bad) and some technical stuff like generators, electricity, etc? Some bonus explorable worlds like the Nether to explore would also be cool, I just don't want to be super overwhelmed by an unrecognizable experience right from the start.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ash Rose posted:

Double check the coordinates of the damaged section-- it's above you!

I'm trying the pack out, too, and I've hooked the power back up but some of the vents won't work no matter what I do. It's like they're not getting enough air? They have enough power.
edit: oh, of course, as soon as I post about it I tried picking up and re-placing a vent and it started working.
edit2: I think the trick is you break it, place it, and then turn redstone control off? Then the vent starts working after like 5 seconds of waiting.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 11, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

What would be the pack to use if I want a mostly vanilla-ish Minecraft experience, with maybe a few updates (minimap ain't so bad) and some technical stuff like generators, electricity, etc? Some bonus explorable worlds like the Nether to explore would also be cool, I just don't want to be super overwhelmed by an unrecognizable experience right from the start.

Most packs these days all seem to be big bunches of everything someone can jam into them at once. I feel smaller-scale stuff doesn't really get made any more and you're most likely going to just have to bundle some mods together yourself for the experience you're looking for. Of course, this really hurts with the discoverability of new things, too since you really only can pull stuff you already know about, right? Modded is kind of in a rough spot right now if you're looking for something that's on the scale of like 30 or less mods and not 200+.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in years, the last time was when Technic was a big thing and I played a lot of that with my buddies. We're thinking of starting again, but I loaded up a random modpack using the loader that seems to be the popular one now and was pretty put off by achievements popping up constantly and some really out of place looking monsters and buildings.

I hadn't played Minecraft since like 2011 or so and ended up with https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/valhelsia-enhanced-vanilla as the one pack that seemed understandable to me, looked pretty ootb, and didn't crash when I tried to load it. I have no idea where everything Minecraft has added over the last decade ends and the mod begins but I'm enjoying it as an exploration focused player. I do think it's probably too heavy for what you want with it's rpg stuff but I had a similar quandary and no interest in figuring out my own mod stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I too enjoy a mostly vanilla experience, so I grabbed a handful of mods that imo you should start with and then add more depending on what you want.

stuff like Corpse and Sophisticated Backpacks are wonderful quality of life stuff, SB allowing for a large backpack that can condense stacks of 64 blocks into stacks of 1.02k blocks is great for, say, dismantling a piglin bastion for all those sweet sweet blackstone bricks, and then using them to build a massive edifice in the middle of a jungle leading to an underground nether portal

Corpse is vital imo, leaves a corpse with all your stuff on it, just need to do a corpse run and not have to panic so much to get there within 2 minutes or whatever despawn time is.

Simple Magnets, just cheat a gold magnet into your inventory and activate it, then place it in your backpack, and it'll eliminate tedious running-around-and-picking-everything-up nonsense.

Farmer's Delight is great for the moment since Pam's Harvestcraft hasn't updated to recent versions of minecraft yet, I like that you can make a cutting board, then have to manually cut up things, but are rewarded with more efficient food for the tedium of having to place a piece of food and then switch to the knife to cut it and repeat.

Biomes o Plenty has been a crucial standby for increasing world variety for me since basically they first released it, and it's still great today.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Ok, two problems:
1, the dead leaf blocks on the preplaced dead trees don't decay.
2, if you place the Pure Daisy directly into the floor of the tree room so it converts blocks into dirt, and leave it there to convert those new dirt blocks into grass, it won't work. The pure daisy pops the dirt into... more dirt, which then never grows grass on it if you leave it be. It seems only dirt I place myself is converted properly into grass by the flower, but the dirt blocks resulting from the first conversion do allow grass to spread onto it. A metadata problem, maybe? I wish I had more than one pure daisy to start with, to speed along creation of dirt. The dead wood conversion is less important since dead saplings grow oak wood.

edit: wait, what? I misunderstood whatever's going on in #2.

The two 3x3 areas (that one block sticking out is fine) of dirt blocks just... won't allow grass on them, even if I replace the dirt with fresh blocks.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 11, 2022

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I too enjoy a mostly vanilla experience, so I grabbed a handful of mods that imo you should start with and then add more depending on what you want.

stuff like Corpse and Sophisticated Backpacks are wonderful quality of life stuff, SB allowing for a large backpack that can condense stacks of 64 blocks into stacks of 1.02k blocks is great for, say, dismantling a piglin bastion for all those sweet sweet blackstone bricks, and then using them to build a massive edifice in the middle of a jungle leading to an underground nether portal

Corpse is vital imo, leaves a corpse with all your stuff on it, just need to do a corpse run and not have to panic so much to get there within 2 minutes or whatever despawn time is.

Simple Magnets, just cheat a gold magnet into your inventory and activate it, then place it in your backpack, and it'll eliminate tedious running-around-and-picking-everything-up nonsense.

Farmer's Delight is great for the moment since Pam's Harvestcraft hasn't updated to recent versions of minecraft yet, I like that you can make a cutting board, then have to manually cut up things, but are rewarded with more efficient food for the tedium of having to place a piece of food and then switch to the knife to cut it and repeat.

Biomes o Plenty has been a crucial standby for increasing world variety for me since basically they first released it, and it's still great today.

These seem cool, but I imagine it'd be lot harder to get my friends to download a bunch of mods piecemeal rather than just being able to point to a single modpack where I can just say "Just download that and connect" . Unless you can download mods directly from a server now? I haven't played in such a long time I'm not sure if it's gotten any easier to host a modded server.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for me it was literally install curseforge -> click links, automatically downloads and adds them to a corresponding snapshot(in my case, 1.81 since some mods have yet to be updated to 1.82 and beyond). no need to gently caress around with jar files etc, just click and it'll do it for you, takes like 5 minutes if you've got all the links at the ready.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If you want to do things a bit more automatically you could walk your friends through setting up an instance in curse (or some other launcher) and then throw a zip file with all the mods in it at them so they don't need to manually find and click on all the mods.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sophisticated backpacks is fantastic and definitely recommended if only for the auto eat food upgrade you can throw on one and stuff the back back with some food and NEVER have to worry about eating again. You can even specify how picky with the eating you want it to be.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Xun posted:

If you want to do things a bit more automatically you could walk your friends through setting up an instance in curse (or some other launcher) and then throw a zip file with all the mods in it at them so they don't need to manually find and click on all the mods.

Yep, that's what my little friends group MC server does. First weekend of the month is mod update day.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sophisticated backpacks is fantastic and definitely recommended if only for the auto eat food upgrade you can throw on one and stuff the back back with some food and NEVER have to worry about eating again. You can even specify how picky with the eating you want it to be.

God, yeah, it's so good. I found it in some modpack I played and immediately poked our mod maintainer and was like "WHY IS THIS NOT IN OUR SERVER YET".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure what PolyMC did, but I randomly tried snagging the latest DW20 pack and it downloaded fine, even though they stated that FTB had disabled it going through other programs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

OgNar posted:

Not sure what PolyMC did, but I randomly tried snagging the latest DW20 pack and it downloaded fine, even though they stated that FTB had disabled it going through other programs.

When I asked about it on the FTB discord they said other launchers should be able to use the FTB API, and that it was likely a cloudflare issue. I didn't hear back from them on it though. Maybe the problem just... went away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

New Ad shows off a little of the Create mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMfF9TYETM

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java---bedrock-edition-pc-out-june-7
"JAVA & BEDROCK EDITION FOR PC IS OUT ON JUNE 7
No more picking and choosing, Java and Bedrock will be sold together!"

"To be clear, Java and Bedrock will remain separate games with their own distinctive features."

Kind of weird advertising mods if they aren't going to host and provide a browser for mods and folks still have to go off and find whatever standalone launchers.