Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Well, at least he tried, rip to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The supreme court justices want to kill women.

Seems fair.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Seems like a clear cut case of self defense.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The guy called to turn himself in -- and less than twelve hours later, McConnell demands more SCOTUS security in advance of the Dobbs ruling.

This was an op.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rightwing media is yelling about a 2020 speech wherein Schumer said there'd be hell to pay for the most recent SCOTUS additions, claiming it was incitement for the Kavanaugh gun guy.

Meanwhile, hearings on the actual J6 incitement and coup are ongoing.

You can't make up this level of shamelessness.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mdemone posted:

The guy called to turn himself in -- and less than twelve hours later, McConnell demands more SCOTUS security in advance of the Dobbs ruling.

This was an op.

Wasn't it already demanded? And provided, in fact, after the leak?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fuschia tude posted:

It's something else to talk about while J6 and gun poo poo is happening elsewhere

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

This was an op.

Jimmy in-n-out is making good money I see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mdemone posted:

This was an op.

I can't believe the party that insists every mass shooting and other incident that reflects negatively on their beliefs is a false flag, would also be the party that engages in very lazy and obvious false flags.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nevermind, found an article.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Fuschia tude posted:

Senate passed. House has not.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's not a false flag you lunatics. How can you mock the nonsense conspiracy theories the right wing invents and then immediately indulge in it yourself? What, it helps the gop so they must have orchestrated it, that's your evidence? It's wildly more likely that some mentally ill suicidal guy wanted to make a difference in the world than some shadowy cabal finding a guy who is willing to get convicted of attempted murder in order to make the libs look bad for one news cycle. Get ahold of yourself man.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The difference is that he didn't actually do anything or hurt anyone.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Magic Underwear posted:

It's not a false flag you lunatics. How can you mock the nonsense conspiracy theories the right wing invents and then immediately indulge in it yourself? What, it helps the gop so they must have orchestrated it, that's your evidence? It's wildly more likely that some mentally ill suicidal guy wanted to make a difference in the world than some shadowy cabal finding a guy who is willing to get convicted of attempted murder in order to make the libs look bad for one news cycle. Get ahold of yourself man.

You don't know what a trial balloon is?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There's literally zero reason to invent a loving conspiracy.

This country is full of desperate people, it has easy access to firearms, and limited mental health treatment. This guy is a holy trifecta of all that.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
This country is so hosed up that you don't even need the mental health caveat at this point, just sheer desperation for anything other than the status quo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't think it's a false flag because like how do you convince someone to plead guilty to attempted murder of a supreme court justice, but I think the part that's throwing people for a loop is that he called the cops to confess his crime before doing it, which is how they knew to pick him up. It's a little weird but clearly a cry for help unless for some reason he had a crisis of conscience before trying to murk Kavanagh

If anything it's a demonstration of the lack of appetite for violence amongst the left, which is a good thing imo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When you subject people to an insane pressure-cooker of a culture and tell them it’s their own fault and remove all avenues for agency other than spectacular violence, it’s not a stretch to see people becoming violent all on their own. Many of them probably don’t even want to be violent and would like to be stopped, which is why one might call the police asking for help.

And the naturally occurring violence helps the establishment maintain its control anyway, so why would they have agents pretending to do it when the real thing is just as good?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, when you have people doing incalculable harm to millions of folks and you have no avenue with which to prevent that and the people that maybe could are just throwing their hands up and saying "nothing we can do, better vote just like the last time there was nothing we could do!" it's easy to see how violence starts to look like the only answer.

Honestly, it's pretty wild that one guy with a gun is seen as more violent than Kavanaugh overturning Roe.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

When you subject people to an insane pressure-cooker of a culture and tell them it’s their own fault and remove all avenues for agency other than spectacular violence, it’s not a stretch to see people becoming violent all on their own. Many of them probably don’t even want to be violent and would like to be stopped, which is why one might call the police asking for help.

And the naturally occurring violence helps the establishment maintain its control anyway, so why would they have agents pretending to do it when the real thing is just as good?

Not an empty quote and thank you for saying just the thing that’s been floating around my head

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1535296993173684224?s=20&t=pcJk1zCH1lvIPaz_MlnxAA

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Clarence knew what she was doing, hence his sole dissent in the ruling to hand info to the Jan 6th committee. If the Dems actually cared they'd subpoena her and her husbands phone records up to today (since it might also show if she was the one to leak the decision to overturn Roe).

Investigate and prosecute his rear end. If he doesn't resign then let him be the first SCOTUS member to service from a prison cell.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, they could do that… but :decorum:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clarence knew what she was doing, hence his sole dissent in the ruling to hand info to the Jan 6th committee. If the Dems actually cared they'd subpoena her and her husbands phone records up to today (since it might also show if she was the one to leak the decision to overturn Roe).

Investigate and prosecute his rear end. If he doesn't resign then let him be the first SCOTUS member to service from a prison cell.

We might finally find out what "good behavior" means constitutionally. In a 5-3 decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Opinions dropping on Monday and Wednesday next week.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fun fact, James Wilson (as in, signer of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution) was twice in debtors' prison while a justice. I don't think that included any Supreme Court cases though, there weren't many back then.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So yeah, about that suggestion Ginni Thomas was the leak:

https://twitter.com/emmersbrown/status/1535291476317437952

Seeming more and more likely.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

So yeah, about that suggestion Ginni Thomas was the leak:

https://twitter.com/emmersbrown/status/1535291476317437952

Seeming more and more likely.

Not sure I follow your logic here.

quote:

Thomas sent the messages using FreeRoots, an online platform intended to make it easy to send pre-written emails to multiple elected officials.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

She is ever more obviously deeply involved in right wing organizing, and has means, access, and will never be investigated.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

She is ever more obviously deeply involved in right wing organizing, and has means, access, and will never be investigated.

She used a publicly available mailbot tool on a publicly accessible website to email publicly-listed politicians urging them to overturn an election. You could literally do the same thing right now. While I have no doubt she's done far more than just this behind the scenes, this isn't the smoking gun you think it is.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So someone with usable political connections instead contacted 29 lawmakers specifically via a platform that all but guaranteed no one more important than an intern would ever read what she wrote? Is the accusation that she's so detached from reality she thinks those things go anywhere?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Magic Underwear posted:

i can't tell if you're joking because the first one actually makes far more sense and is infinitely more likely

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Javid posted:

So someone with usable political connections instead contacted 29 lawmakers specifically via a platform that all but guaranteed no one more important than an intern would ever read what she wrote? Is the accusation that she's so detached from reality she thinks those things go anywhere?

An intern who likely read the name on said email and immediately wrote it off as a troll after ticking the ‘for fascism’ box on the spreadsheet.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Oracle posted:

An intern who likely read the name on said email and immediately wrote it off as a troll after ticking the ‘for fascism’ box on the spreadsheet.

Or who didn't even make the connection between "Ginni Thomas", random email sender #242 and "Virginia 'Ginni' Thomas, wife of SCOTUS judge Clarence Thomas".

The worst conclusion that one can reasonably make from those emails is that the wife of a SCOTUS judge supports the idea that Trump should have won the election, but based on her prior record as an activist that shouldn't suprise anyone.

And going from "she put her name on a form to send pre-written emails to representatives" to "she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

And going from "she put her name on a form to send pre-written emails to representatives" to "she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

They aren't in the shadows, it's the republican party and they're not subtle about it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wait has anyone seen the actual emails?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wait has anyone seen the actual emails?

It's in the linked article.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh drat she used a mass mailing service? Guess I can excuse a Supreme Court justice's wife being a totally brain poisoned OANN watching senior citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh drat she used a mass mailing service? Guess I can excuse a Supreme Court justice's wife being a totally brain poisoned OANN watching senior citizen.

Excuse it? No, feel free to condemn her nutty rear end from the rooftops. Declare it a smoking gun of proof that’s she’s using all her husbands clout for masterminding a coup? Yeah, not so much.
(It’s not a mass mailing service, it’s one of those public free to use websites that aggregates pol email addresses any schmuck can use to contact their elected representatives)