Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Devils Affricate posted:

I think it's actually the anchovies. Instead of taking the fillets out individually they just dumped the tins upside down and called it a day.

It’a not “anchovies and potatoes”, just a lovely translation. In Sweden ansjovis is the commercial name for canned sprat of some sort. This product, which is nothing like anchovies, along with potatoes and cream and some other stuff, are ingredients for the Christmas dish Janssons frestelse, and I’m pretty sure that’s what those turd looking things are supposed to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jansson%27s_temptation

Definitely does not belong on a pizza though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would be "tempted" to throw that out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Von Pluring posted:

It’a not “anchovies and potatoes”, just a lovely translation. In Sweden ansjovis is the commercial name for canned sprat of some sort. This product, which is nothing like anchovies, along with potatoes and cream and some other stuff, are ingredients for the Christmas dish Janssons frestelse, and I’m pretty sure that’s what those turd looking things are supposed to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jansson%27s_temptation

Definitely does not belong on a pizza though.

This was a real emotional rollercoaster, my interest going uphill when I found out it wasn't anchovies, only to come flying back down again upon finding out canned sprat are just different small fish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jack Fat could eat no sprat.

e: his wife could eat no bream

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sprats aren't even necessarily different fish, it's ended up being a culinary term for that size, whatever the genus

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
those are just loaded fries

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But all glued together, fries are best enjoyed one at a time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No way those fries aren't incredibly soggy.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I'd gently caress with those pizza fries

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Von Pluring posted:

It’a not “anchovies and potatoes”, just a lovely translation.

This was news to me, as a Finn. I always assumed our anjovis was the same as the anchovy, but apparently you're right and it's a completely different family of fish.

Jansson's temptation is still loving vile, but apparently it could be even worse?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I got anchovies on a pizza one time. And sorta out of a mix of spite and curiousity. My ex was paying and said she didn't care what was on it. Futurama tricked me into thinking anchovies might be a viable food/topping. I had a slice when it was fresh and didn't like it, so I had a second and put some hotsauce and mustard on to try to bring it around but it was still way fishier than I would want. by the next day the fishiness had congealed into the cheese and even picking them off didn't do anything to help. I still question whether it was the fish being cooked that caused it or if they were like thrown on from some tub that had collected liquified fish juice that wet things before the cheese melted. If anyone has had good anchovies please tell me because I really could do some sardine pizza and am confused why a worse tasting fish would be used.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anchovies just have an aura that permeates everything. I like their flavor on pizza a little bit, but I won't order them again because they're just too overpowering. I feel like you could just toss a single slice onto the pizza and it would be enough to give the whole thing about the right amount of flavor.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Some anchovy paste in the sauce is good, whole anchovies on the pizza is awful.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Anchovies are good

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like getting a slice or two with anchovy where such a thing is available but the one time I ordered a whole pie with it, yeah, it was tough to make it through the leftovers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uh, would

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

But you have to consume the whole thing in a single gulp, no using your hands.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

By popular demand posted:

But you have to consume the whole thing in a single gulp, no using your hands.

deal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anchovy is good but here's the secret: soak the anchovy in a little water for a few minutes to leech out some salt and then cut them up into smaller pieces

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

By popular demand posted:

But all glued together, fries are best enjoyed one at a time.

Pizza fries are a fork and knife food, like any loaded fries. And now I want some either pizza fries or poutine or some such concoction

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Poutine you absolutely eat with a fork. But a knife??

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Anchovies are good and any place worth getting them at will RINSE the fish before topping. That is the only secret.

Some cans of anchovies will have actual salt crystals on the fish they're so salty. Rinsing also helps with capers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wtf; i'd never in a hundred years expect goons to form a rabidly anti anchovy contingent.

Anchovies are the highest tier pizzas topping, and there can't be too many anchovies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Anchovies are good

nah

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

At least you posted this effluvium in the correct thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Wtf; i'd never in a hundred years expect goons to form a rabidly anti anchovy contingent.

Anchovies are the highest tier pizzas topping, and there can't be too many anchovies

anchovies are great but not on pizza, wtf

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anchovies are maybe the thing I'm least surprised at goons forming a contingent against :psyduck:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I've never had anchovies on a pizza.

But I have had sea food. Tuna too (is not good).

Edit: holy poo poo, I hadn't realized the shrimp is uncooked and it still has the poop line there

I searched for a "marinera" pizza, there's supposed to be shrimp on this:

Tuna!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have two questions

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
When you guys are describing anchovies on a pizza, what exactly are you putting on? It sounds like a whole fish rather than a sliver of an anchovy fillet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've had anchovies maybe twice or so in my life. The first time I was very young and the only time I heard of them was from the ninja turtles. We were at a decent Italian place and someone ordered a pizza with them. I was scared but tried it and really liked it. But they were the tiny cut up ones on a thin crust tavern style (square cut) pizza so it was a nice small dose at a time.

I made a HUGE mistake of ordering a deep dish pizza from a local place a few years ago with anchovies. I don't know what I was thinking because that doesn't sound like it'd work anyway. But it was like 2 decades since I had them so I figured, eh gently caress it. I was hoping they'd have some tiny ones cut up and thrown about inside of it. Well the pizza had like eight 6" long anchovies baked right under the top layer of cheese. And they tasted horribly fishy at that. I had to throw the whole thing out. Like a 2-3 loving pound pizza. I was very sad. :(

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 12, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

When you guys are describing anchovies on a pizza, what exactly are you putting on? It sounds like a whole fish rather than a sliver of an anchovy fillet.

Everyone here is almost certainly talking about the salt-cured fillets. I've never seen anchovies sold as whole fish. I'm sure you can get them at markets selling fresh fish, but that's not what people typically use on pizza or really anything else.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

My "Delicious Pizza Wrap" ad has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my ad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

The one time I ordered it from a chain it was smaller filets. I've seen pizzas with whole ones but I don't know how common that is if you're just ordering from a random restaurant.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've had anchovies maybe twice or so in my life. The first time I was very young and the only time I heard of them was from the ninja turtles. We were at a decent Italian place and someone ordered a pizza with them. I was scared but tried it and really liked it. But they were the tiny cut up ones on a thin crust tavern style (square cut) pizza so it was a nice small dose at a time.

I made a HUGE mistake of ordering a deep dish pizza from a local place a few years ago with anchovies. I don't know what I was thinking because that doesn't sound like it'd work anyway. But it was like 2 decades since I had them so I figured, eh gently caress it. I was hoping they'd have some tiny ones cut up and thrown about inside of it. Well the pizza had like eight 6" long anchovies baked right under the top layer of cheese. And they tasted horribly fishy at that. I had to throw the whole thing out. Like a 2-3 loving pound pizza. I was very sad. :(

That first one sounds like I'd be cool with it. I got mine from a chain place that threw handfuls on and everything tasted fishy as gently caress. I tried every thing I could put on it to keep trying to choke down those slices and it couldn't be covered with any amout of condiment. I think the small dose of them would have been better and from what I've been reading the rinsing them off seems like a necessary thing. Maybe I'll try again at a place with good reviews for pizza the next time I go to the coast.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You are like tiny babies.

Anchovies and pineapple together at last.

was not a great idea to try from a chain place

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Big Beef City posted:

You are like tiny babies.

Anchovies and pineapple together at last.

was not a great idea to try from a chain place

I don't like pineapple but I really wanna try this and see if they balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004