Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cena is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/kinofabino/status/1535462534316183552?s=21&t=o_J3Csiz7ObfBqDZrp4aoQ
Now I want this. I don’t care if he’s too old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
alternatively, cast him as old Duke

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
https://twitter.com/GetGianni/status/1535517950886744072?s=20&t=w-BItCoxJMuMYhRHH5oTxQ

Oof.

Gianni seems like a real neat guy, I hadn't noticed JSJ being a weird rear end in a top hat, but here we are. What a Duketastrophe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Total non-story

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
JSJ was complaining on twitter that not enough people interact with his tweets so I think he just has an ego.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The voice actor for Duke Nukem has an ego? Heavens forbid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he must be stopped

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I remember Jon being kinda bitter at talks/panels about the CARTOON VO MAFIA YOU CAN ONLY JOIN WHEN A MEMBER DIES and also partying hard at cons so he might be that special combination of drunk and overprotective/trying not to be “replaced” by a cheap soundalike or understudy? It’s disappointing, but I guess Jon’s just being weird in the name of protecting his one consistent gig (ignoring all his other regular gigs like random Valve characters?) Psychology is weird and I’ll be honest, I’m drinking at a gig ATM so I’m more shocked that this very post is properly spelt/grammatically correct than anything else!

(On the plus side, one of the new blood guys replied to that thread basically saying that Stephen Weyte is an utter champ, which is nice to know/confirm!)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, JSJ just comes across as a bit of a confused rear end there. Not the terrible revelation I feared from clicking on the link.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Map design is definitely much more complex than PW1. Lots of open spaces and up and down. M3 was actually pretty cool and had a nice lil boss arena at the end (M1 and M2's bosses were just kind of boring and grindy). M4 seems to be more of a twisty labyrinth thing with more exploring and traps but I ate a rocket to the face and decided to call it there for the night.

Magic is special abilities now, on a cool down. Dual wield, which was in the demo (first map in EA is a slightly rejigged (I think?) version of the demo map), a spell that freezes nearby enemies, and a flamethrower sort of thing that just does a lot of damage to everything in front of you. Useful, but nothing really game changing, just a bunch of panic buttons.

e: I don't think I remember how magic works in 1 at all, so can't make a comparison.

Then it's already better than the original, which was MP based. I don't blame you for forgetting how PW1's magic was because the guns were so much more useful, but it's nice to see that aspect getting overhauled.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

So Austin Powers?

That, too.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
That JSJ bullshit pisses me off. Gianni's being too nice. :colbert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

They've been talking about doing a Duke Nukem movie for so long that Dolph Lundgren was attached to the role at one point. I doubt it ever reaches celluoid, or, uh, whatever they put movies on nowadays. Hard drives? Insanely encrypted downloads? Holocubes?

Hard drives in these funny kits that make it seem like TOP SECRET DO NOT STEAL marerials

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So stfu then? Man twitter is the worst

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
more importantly,

https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1535644882265591810?t=WjCEGwfZF308C7j7uUo44Q&s=19

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Welp, I know what I'm doing Monday! Nice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
When I first got linked to Selaco I had a brief moment of being disappointed in the protagonist choice/artwork. There needs to be more leading woman, but why do we keep getting baby-faced models instead of Ellen Ripleys. Is Ellen Ripley not good enough for you?! Then I saw the actual gameplay they pulled off in gzdoom of all things and stopped giving a poo poo. So it was only a very brief moment, you see.

Fuckin' stoked for that demo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can't make it look too much like Sigourney Weaver for legal reasons, so they go with a brand new design over making it look distractingly almost not exactly like Sigourney Weaver

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
She does look overly similar to IF's Shelly tho. Anyway, Trepang2 is supposed to have a new demo out then too so it's a really banner year for F.E.A.R.likes.

I do wonder if Selaco has any plans at all to put in slo-mo, maybe as a powerup or something.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alright, it's still pretty basic but I've finished writing my first Doom mod, Laevis.

The tl;dr is: as you do damage with a weapon it gains XP and eventually levels up, as it levels up it gains permanent damage bonuses. If you have Legendoom installed it can also gain LD effects (with rarer LD weapons being able to learn multiple effects and switch between them, although sadly you can't have multiple LD effects active at once).

I have a bunch of stuff I want to add to it, most notably LazyPoints integration (earn XP based on LP score rather than using its built-in XP calculation based on damage dealt) and weapon/player upgrades more interesting than "do a bit more damage" and "take a bit less damage", but I figured this is the first milestone where it's actually playable and does something vaguely interesting.

This is the first I've heard of this and it looks incredible.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Alright, it's still pretty basic but I've finished writing my first Doom mod, Laevis.

The tl;dr is: as you do damage with a weapon it gains XP and eventually levels up, as it levels up it gains permanent damage bonuses. If you have Legendoom installed it can also gain LD effects (with rarer LD weapons being able to learn multiple effects and switch between them, although sadly you can't have multiple LD effects active at once).

I have a bunch of stuff I want to add to it, most notably LazyPoints integration (earn XP based on LP score rather than using its built-in XP calculation based on damage dealt) and weapon/player upgrades more interesting than "do a bit more damage" and "take a bit less damage", but I figured this is the first milestone where it's actually playable and does something vaguely interesting.

This is the first I've heard of this and it looks incredible.

Selaco is common chat in here, it's shaping to be one of the best shooters. Every decent channel that tried the closed demos says it's amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1535436399104561152?s=20&t=52b3SuY1MDnhMR5ng2DD9Q

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
shame about jon st jon being a bit of a jerk, big bummer about how conflicted gianni is. tbh he should just keep making columbo content, it's some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's absolutely true. nothing compares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

it's absolutely true. nothing compares

What about doom II wads.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Which speaking of, I'm like 2/3rds through TNT Evilution and boy does it stink. Theres highlights here and there but most of the peaks are downed out by flat rectangles full of chaingunners and poorly laid out techbase mazes. My favorite level so far (MAP18) turned out to be made by the people who went on to make Plutonia so I'm pretty excited to get to that whenever I wrap up Evilution ...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Plutonia is definitely a lot better but I enjoy TNT for what it is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I don't mean to be too harsh since I'm comparing it to like. The next 30 years of WAD design. It's cool to get a tactile glimpse at the state of very, very early community sourced level design for Doom, warts and all. Especially considering what kind of hardware and software was used to even to make a set like this in 1995 for hobbyists. I can sit here and be like "Hey your textures are misaligned! Just hit up arrow in visual mode in UDB3!" while I'm sure they probably had to enter texture offsets by hand and just check out the visuals by playtesting. Pure misery!

So it's not very often fun to play exactly, but I'm also not going to stop at all, I wanna see every level here and I have been enjoying the journey.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

I do wonder if Selaco has any plans at all to put in slo-mo, maybe as a powerup or something.
Slo-mo is kind of a pain in the rear end to do in GZDoom. In Half-Life or whatever, you'd be able to change the "timescale" - that is, the speed of the gameplay simulation - but in GZDoom this is restricted to a debug console command that mod scripting can't really touch for reasons that become apparent if you do it - menus and stuff are also affected to the timescale even though they probably shouldn't be.

So if you wanna do slo-mo in GZDoom you kinda have to do it yourself. There are a few ways to do it - the Painslayer mod does it as an example - but it's enough of a fiddly mess that if they were gonna do it they probably would have shown it off by now.

Or maybe I'm just a little bitter because I'm not smart enough to figure out the polished, non-crap ways to do it myself? :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

not smart enough

I'd buy Reelism at £20 so I think you may be off the mark here

"haven't had time to figure out" may be more accurate :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

In Training posted:

What about doom II wads.

well yeah but i mean compared to the more recent slate of retro fps revivals. doom 2 remains king obviously

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

dracula vladdy AF posted:

shame about jon st jon being a bit of a jerk, big bummer about how conflicted gianni is. tbh he should just keep making columbo content, it's some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen

If I was Gianni I'd keep doing Duke poo poo out of spite. "Don't use Duke's voice for political stuff" Man get hosed, absolutely brain dead how some people can reduce an entire section of the population's right to live and thrive as "politics." smh

Anyway here's a slick Portal lookin rear end game where your gun controls time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZaQ-dYmH_I

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If I was Gianni I'd keep doing Duke poo poo out of spite. "Don't use Duke's voice for political stuff" Man get hosed, absolutely brain dead how some people can reduce an entire section of the population's right to live and thrive as "politics." smh

It's also weird for him to say because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuLyUHxq7Sw

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

:psyduck:

JSJ down bad with the fragile ego syndrome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I also recall JSJ posting about telling a certain, unnamed presidential campaign in 2016 to gently caress off when they allegedly offered him big bucks to voice an ad campaign. The only thing consistent here is inconsistency.

In unrelated news, I updated my thing. No new features, just some bug fixes here and there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He also did that Doug Huggem thing, though of course that was a just a short sketch and nothing serious.

"Can I get a good old Christian SIDE HUG?" is still one of his best lines, though.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Pro wrestlers and voice actors; surprisingly similar when it comes to social media (and nastier stuff)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

In Training posted:

I can sit here and be like "Hey your textures are misaligned! Just hit up arrow in visual mode in UDB3!" while I'm sure they probably had to enter texture offsets by hand and just check out the visuals by playtesting. Pure misery!

As someone who spent 1996 - 2004 making Doom maps without the wonders and ease of Doom Builder, typing in the offsets manually and then testing the map was indeed the way and it wasn't that bad it's loving horrible to even contemplate going back to that method of doing things. Thankfully I missed out on the earliest days of mapping where the nodebuilders took forever and a loving day and occasionally exploded for no good reason, slowing down the testing even more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm a little ways into my replay of System Shock 2 having not played it for many years, and I don't remember being as starved for cyber-modules as I am right now. . . or some of the early level costs being so high. Like 8-10 mods just to get the base level of some skills. I'm glad I got some points in Strength and Standard Weapons in the character building (I went Navy) to make early combat a little easier but man do I need some improved healing ability and some more health. Also very glad to get the OS upgrade to base movement speed because hoo boy are you pokey. The game's pretty much the definition of late 90's kludge all around but I'm sure once the ball gets rolling it'll be more tolerable.