Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

tomapot posted:

Oh drat, R2’s sweater is cute. There’s always a hook in these advent sets.

Oh, man. R2D2 has a C3PO sweater, and C3PO has a R2D2 sweater. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrChu posted:

Classic Space never did, but some of the earliest Castle sets had figures that used those helmets with other kinds of visors: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=cas085a#T=I

I have one of those faceplates and it always went on my most badass spaceman

The one that rode my winged motorcycle

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm annoyed it has a second seat with no '66 Robin and no way to buy one without paying through the nose on the secondhand market. :argh: Cool set though!
Classic TV Robin cost $8 or so used until that set was announced. I was planning on buying the set, so I snagged a Robin fig for about $12, as it immediately started increasing. Now you can't get one for below $40. Wild.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Almost done with my 4th set. Sets 1 and 2, no problem. Set 3 was missing a piece and now set 4 is missing a piece. I know that poo poo happens but I would have thought that this problem was rarer than this.

Worst part is that I'm trying to finish this F1 before I open the Boxer that arrived today. I also realize that this is a pretty high class problem.

This loving guy is ruining my day, 13 pages from the end:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
99% of the time, a "missing" piece has simply gotten caught inside one of the bags, or in a corner of a sorting bin, or something. I've sworn up and down on a dozen occasions that a piece was missing...only to find it after retrieving a part bag out of the recycling bin, or buried in the rug next to my work area, or on me, and so on. To date, have never actually had a truly missing piece.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Habibi posted:

99% of the time, a "missing" piece has simply gotten caught inside one of the bags, or in a corner of a sorting bin, or something. I've sworn up and down on a dozen occasions that a piece was missing...only to find it after retrieving a part bag out of the recycling bin, or buried in the rug next to my work area, or on me, and so on. To date, have never actually had a truly missing piece.

I'm pretty sure the first one was on me but I was very careful about the parts bags for this build and have put my finger on each piece left to make sure I wasn't missing it. I have looked everywhere it could be, and searched through my "extra pieces" from my other kits and it just isn't here. While I can't say with certainty that it isn't my fault, I can't say that it is either because I have been very careful :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've had 5 piece situations:

1 - thought piece was missing. found on floor later.

2 - thought piece was missing. never found it. it's possible I dropped it on the floor and couldn't find. ordered a new one.

3 - thought piece was missing. never found it. it was definitely missing. ordered a new one.

4 - set had extra piece that didn't belong in the set.

5 - set had extra piece that didn't belong in the set.

So piece shenanigans do happen. to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As someone that furnished two rooms recently with ikea furniture I will never sass lego quality control ever again. Yeah wood is a different beast because it's constantly shrinking and growing as humidity changes but even then you'd think they could drill two adjacent holes to the same depth.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lego’s quality control is really good when you consider the vast amounts of tiny little bits that end up just fine in millions of boxes. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the huge production bump in the amount of high piece-count sets they’re releasing now has had a negative effect on quality control.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Carbohydrates posted:

Classic TV Robin cost $8 or so used until that set was announced. I was planning on buying the set, so I snagged a Robin fig for about $12, as it immediately started increasing. Now you can't get one for below $40. Wild.

Surprised they never did Classic '66 Batcycle with detachable sidecar, Batboat, Batcopter, Batgirl with her Batcycle, or the Joker's Jokermobile.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lego’s quality control is really good when you consider the vast amounts of tiny little bits that end up just fine in millions of boxes. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the huge production bump in the amount of high piece-count sets they’re releasing now has had a negative effect on quality control.

I said what I said out of anger, I'm better now :) I totally understand that poo poo happens and I'm very grateful that they offer the replacement in these cases. I mean, it's not like I'm going to send it back out of anger lol.

If something is wrong with the Boxer, that's a different story. ;)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just to put sort of an ending conversation on my FedEx complaints, here’s some thing they do that I always get a little peeved about.

Lego ships my package via FedEx and everything says delivery estimated on the 8th.

A couple days pass and on FedEx is site it says arriving on the 8th early originally scheduled for the 9th. A couple days pass and it says arriving on the 9th early originally scheduled for the 10th. A couple days pass and it’s the 9th and it’s not here yet and it says delivery on the 10th. Now, who knows if it’s gonna show up tomorrow on the 10th. But what I find funny is they do this all the time and it’s like “Ooohh, see it was originally for the 10th ha ha ha! Pay no attention to those original quoted dates. See?! We’re right on time!”

Obviously, first world problems. But I just find that the way they operate is not very reliable. Extreme delays that I have experienced notwithstanding.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXUlaiPwwVY

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Sup thread,

Just now getting back into Lego!

Started with the Bonsai and Birds of Paradise botanical sets.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Fuckin nerd

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Flyinglemur posted:

Fuckin nerd

:trumppop: also I like the Mercedes F1 set and the formula e set those are Speed sets if I recall.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I like the Boutique Hotel. I'm so impatient, I wonder what next year's modular will be!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Is it my imagination or was there a leak about a minifig scale Keaton style batmobile?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Siroc posted:

Is it my imagination or was there a leak about a minifig scale Keaton style batmobile?

Yep, it’ll be for the Flash movie(lol)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

RatHat posted:

Yep, it’ll be for the Flash movie(lol)

Huh? Are they rereleasing the one that was a gwp for the 1989 batmobile?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scipiotik posted:

Huh? Are they rereleasing the one that was a gwp for the 1989 batmobile?

Oh, maybe I misunderstood your post. There will be a Batmobile set for the Flash movie(where Keaton is playing Batman again) but I don’t know if the design is going to be the same as the ‘89 movie.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

:glomp:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So to finally end the saga of my four Optimus Primes, I got my two last week with no Cosmic Cardboard GWP (it was in my cart at order but disappeared in the confirmation email). LaserShip finally delivered the two my partner ordered yesterday and lo and behold she managed to get the GWP! So I’m returning my two and foregoing the VIP points since I’d rather have the GWP. (and then spending the refunded cash on the Ferrari).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Classic Space never did, but some of the earliest Castle sets had figures that used those helmets with other kinds of visors: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=cas085a#T=I

Well there's a 3.5 decade old mystery solved

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just to tie up my "lost piece" crap from yesterday, I did a thorough search of the instruction manual since I am very close to the end of the build. This is the part I need:

This is the part I have, that has no place left in the kit:

I think this is just an honest mistake, and I can't imagine the workings around the manufacturing/packaging for all of these kits so I understand. I briefly worked at a USPS distribution center and it is an act of God/Wizardry that anyone gets any mail correctly, much less on time. I'm just upset because I was looking forward to starting the Ferrari. Thank you all for your time.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

RatHat posted:

Oh, maybe I misunderstood your post. There will be a Batmobile set for the Flash movie(where Keaton is playing Batman again) but I don’t know if the design is going to be the same as the ‘89 movie.

Oh, ok, they should release the other for sale. It's really nice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

So to finally end the saga of my four Optimus Primes, I got my two last week with no Cosmic Cardboard GWP (it was in my cart at order but disappeared in the confirmation email). LaserShip finally delivered the two my partner ordered yesterday and lo and behold she managed to get the GWP! So I’m returning my two and foregoing the VIP points since I’d rather have the GWP. (and then spending the refunded cash on the Ferrari).

Ha what an ordeal! Mine (just the one) arrived in decent-ish time. I added something small to mine to get the free extra then realised I could've used a code from a work benefits thing to get it without bumping up to the threshold. But it just means I have extra stuff, so no matter...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Flyinglemur posted:

I think this is just an honest mistake, and I can't imagine the workings around the manufacturing/packaging for all of these kits so I understand. I briefly worked at a USPS distribution center and it is an act of God/Wizardry that anyone gets any mail correctly, much less on time. I'm just upset because I was looking forward to starting the Ferrari. Thank you all for your time.

Same weight (fools the scale) and nearly same shape (fools the shape-identifying camera). I had one or two similar mixups in the last couple of years. Always same weight and nearly same shape. That‘s why usually Lego doesn‘t plan to put such piece in the same sorting run, but obviously mistakes happen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This thread is cursed.

I just came across my (I think) first ever set with a missing piece. Set 31113, the little semi/boat/crane 3-in-1. Foolishly I believed I could find a proper replacement in my PILE but instead had to replace two pieces with a new color. Fancy blue looks nice though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Haha, same!

I was going to post that I never ever had a missing piece and lo and behold, 10 minutes ago, while building the Starry Night, one of the black inverted slopes to build the frame from was missing. :v:

Got an extra corner piece though, so I could fix it ,and once it is mounted on the wall, nobody will ever notice.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Tarquinn posted:

Haha, same!

I was going to post that I never ever had a missing piece and lo and behold, 10 minutes ago, while building the Starry Night, one of the black inverted slopes to build the frame from was missing. :v:

Got an extra corner piece though, so I could fix it ,and once it is mounted on the wall, nobody will ever notice.

Starry Night had my first missing piece as well a couple days ago, one of the 2x2 round plates, had an extra of a different color instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

720 parts of grey and blue:

I should have about 75% of them on hand, gonna need to buy a ton of 1x8 bricks though. Kinda bummed I couldn't align that strip of tiles along the near edge, but I'm trying to fit a specific measurement so don't have much room to fix it. It's possible when I assemble it for real I make some adjustments and fix it but we'll see.

Also the tube tool in studio suuuuuucks. I got mad at it and gave up.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

xzzy posted:

I should have about 75% of them on hand, gonna need to buy a ton of 1x8 bricks though. Kinda bummed I couldn't align that strip of tiles along the near edge, but I'm trying to fit a specific measurement so don't have much room to fix it. It's possible when I assemble it for real I make some adjustments and fix it but we'll see.

This is cool as gently caress.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

That looks awesome!

Could you make the near edge one brick shorter and then instead of one tile on the edge that sticks out you have a plate and a tile which should be flush?
I'm also confused why you need tiles there at all, don't bricks already have a smooth edge?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you going to make a little train to run on those tracks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm also confused why you need tiles there at all, don't bricks already have a smooth edge?

I'm assuming the studs stick out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

That looks awesome!

Could you make the near edge one brick shorter and then instead of one tile on the edge that sticks out you have a plate and a tile which should be flush?

Yes but in this case the smooth side is facing upwards. :v:

The protrusion on the near edge is half a plate thick, there's no way to fix it without redoing the entire edge, probably with a bunch of brackets as the non-plate portion of a bracket is half a plate thick. That's easier to do in real life than in studio so future me will solve it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

xzzy posted:

Having built all of three of those structures during the pandemic, I have to say this fricking amazing! Kinda jelly. :)

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
Regarding missing pieces, I’ve had a bunch of them turn up in the bag, but somewhere around three instances of a 1x1 plate or stud missing that I could use one from an earlier or later bag. My first piece absolutely missing was the Medieval Blacksmith. It was a 1x1 piece that I was able to make something that fit from several plates.

I also had my first absolutely extra piece just recently on the Vader helmet. It made me go through the instructions multiple times looking at every instance of the 2x4 wedge, disassembling everything down to the step to make sure it wasn’t missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Working on my first studio project, my progress so far:

Having a difficult time trying to get the lighting correct to highlight the interior parts so pretend it isn't dark as gently caress in there. The front was really killing me but I have come to accept this as the best solution. I'm going to make one of the Vertical Launch tubes see-through as well, which should break up the sold mass a bit. Will try and make some kind of glowing green cutout for the reactor compartment and the engine room is going to be some random equipment because its classified. and I wasn't a nuke so I didn't spend a lot of time back there anyway if it wasn't an all-hands cleanup or smoke break

I'm a little afraid of how many bricks this is going to be total, but I turn 50 this August and I have sold the idea to my wife as a Birthday Gift.