Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah that is kinda odd, the one game I have that doesn't support Steam Cloud - the Secret of Mana remake - doesn't even have the icon for cloud saves in desktop Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
asked in the store for their stock and the clerk looked at me confused "sir, its pronounced steam dreck"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux posted:

asked in the store for their stock and the clerk looked at me confused "sir, its pronounced steam dreck"

Why are you calling it steam deck in the first place

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Despite their obvious similarities I think the only market that the Steam Deck is going to steal from the switch is basically people that are playing a switch but would rather be playing on something else. The only overlap is pretty much gonna be indie games.

I could see it eventually becoming more competitive given how good the price point is down the line if Valve ever decided to market to parents or something but atm they don't need to market it to anyone lol.

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck is far more likely to be competing against the gaming PC market than the console market, tbh.

I wonder if MH Rise would work better on a steam deck than a switch :v:

I’ve been playing loads of handheld switch recently but for the most part stuff that is exclusive. I know you “can” install windows if you want to say try gamepass on it but I dunno that I actually would.

My desktop is like, essentially from 2011 and I think no joke a steam deck might run some games better but I also will not be building a new one anytime soon

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The deck feels so much nicer in the hands than playing my switch handheld. Maybe I should look into those joycon replacement things that are more this kind of shape.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I find it a lot more comfortable. I remember getting cramps in my hands when playing Metroid Dread on the switch.

I'm playing suikoden on the deck at the mo and loving it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why are you calling it steam deck in the first place

Don't mind him, he's just a Steam Dork.

In other news, my shipping estimate got moved from Monday to Sunday. Deck yeah!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My desktop is like, essentially from 2011 and I think no joke a steam deck might run some games better but I also will not be building a new one anytime soon

With the exception of it running native 720p (which is a non issue in handheld mode as it looks crystal clear, but I'm sure it would look much rougher on my 65 inch 4Ktv and changing the resolution would probably cause performance issues) I feel like steam deck runs most games as well, or almost as well as my 2018 laptop that retailed at $1800.

Just going off what I have played on all platforms, without any real scientific analysis, I'd say the steam deck plays things at about the same quality as a PS4 pro except at a lower resolution (and the deck has an SSD so it loads games 5 times faster) It's a pretty crazy little device.

I played through like half of Titanfall 2 last night and really was having trouble wrapping my head around how I was playing something that looked and played that good on a friggin handheld.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK you can dual boot windows off the micro sd card now and it should be pretty functional.

Oh, I think I'll try this. This seems like the most comprehensive guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-steam-deck

There are some people who have got dual boot working on the internal storage, supposedly, but it seems quite a bit harder than this and the tutorials are all like bad Youtube videos and not nicely written up guides like this.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Why does the Steam Dreck count play time on a game while it's in sleep mode? Is this some sort of Steam-on-Linux thing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Why does the Steam Dreck count play time on a game while it's in sleep mode? Is this some sort of Steam-on-Linux thing?

Steam itself or the game clock? There's a few games on Switch that count game time while left in sleep mode as well.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

njsykora posted:

Steam itself or the game clock? There's a few games on Switch that count game time while left in sleep mode as well.

Steam itself

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like that has to be a bug. Is it every game or just specific ones? I haven’t noticed it on any of the games I’ve been playing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Steam calculates play time as Game Exit Time - Game Start Time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there a feed of when and what games get marked compatible?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like that has to be a bug. Is it every game or just specific ones? I haven’t noticed it on any of the games I’ve been playing.

I guess I noticed it on Core Keeper. Maybe it's just a problem for that game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harminoff posted:

Is there a feed of when and what games get marked compatible?

The Steam Dreck Twitter does tweet studio announcements when their games are verified, and there's also ProtonDB.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I personally use CheckMyDeck.
After you link it to your account, it's very satisfying to sort by "last change" and see which games in your library just got the green/yellow approval (or grumble at the unsupported mark).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What’s up with stuff that says it’s not compatible but is? Looking online RE3 seems to run great on deck and RE2 is verified and practically the same game but steam says the deck can’t run 3.

Also surprised at some relatively big games in my library still being listed as a question mark.

Just too early for it to be comprehensive/accurate or something?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

veni veni veni posted:

What’s up with stuff that says it’s not compatible but is? Looking online RE3 seems to run great on deck and RE2 is verified and practically the same game but steam says the deck can’t run 3.

Also surprised at some relatively big games in my library still being listed as a question mark.

They’re pretty strict on what counts as incompatible, like if you have to mess around too much with a separate launcher or change some boot options. Additionally, I’m thinking that some games got marked as unsupported back in February, but proton has been updated a lot since then and they haven’t gotten reevaluated.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They're *really* strict about the green tick, too. Siralim Ultimate is marked 'playable' instead of 'verified' because the opening splash screen still says 'press E to start' even though you can actually press A instead. Which is fair enough, I just think it's worth noting that yellow, at least, might mean 'totally fine'.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah I didn’t mean the yellow marked games. I have a bunch of those and they have all been totally fine.

I meant RE3 specifically has the little ghostbusters logo despite seemingly fine and all other related games being verified. Alternately metro last light is listed as untested while 2033 and exodus are verified. Just seems unlikely that no one has tested that game out at this point.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kwolok posted:

You... uhhhh.... got a link?

The nice Chinese children finished making my Steam Dick beds.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I would always test. Incompatible as well as untested (obvs) doesn't mean it won't run.

Some games which are tied behind 3rd party launcher drm are imo the only ones safely incompatible.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's pretty ridiculous what can be marked as unsupported. Streets of Rogue is fully playable, however...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/512900/discussions/0/3415431214838829075/

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Harminoff posted:

It's pretty ridiculous what can be marked as unsupported.

Unsupported doesn't and never has meant "doesn't work". It means "we ain't promising poo poo about this working, good luck you're on your own". It means literally "not supported" as in there's no extra work going in to making it work.

Unsupported has absolutely nothing to do with how difficult the game is to run on the Deck and everything to do with how many people there are to throw official time and money at it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rosalie_A posted:

Unsupported doesn't and never has meant "doesn't work". It means "we ain't promising poo poo about this working, good luck you're on your own". It means literally "not supported" as in there's no extra work going in to making it work.

Unsupported has absolutely nothing to do with how difficult the game is to run on the Deck and everything to do with how many people there are to throw official time and money at it.
What’s kinda funny is that for some of the older games on Steam, that could have been the warning anyway for modern computers because I remember seeing a lot of reviews on misc. games where people say stuff like “Warning! This game is broken on Windows 10+” etc.

That’s why I usually bought old games on GOG because they would put some effort into making compatibility patches and installers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JazzFlight posted:

What’s kinda funny is that for some of the older games on Steam, that could have been the warning anyway for modern computers because I remember seeing a lot of reviews on misc. games where people say stuff like “Warning! This game is broken on Windows 10+” etc.

patch note from 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
well, its called "steam dreck" for a reason. at least that s what i read earlier today

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Red Robin Hood posted:

Probably a hibernate bug. Happens when certain games don't properly "close" on Desktop as well (SCUM being one that apparently has admitted to doing it to avoid refunds)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Qudelix 5k is back in stock on their website if anyone is looking for a Bluetooth DAC/Amp to use with the Deck. $109 + $20 shipping.

LDAC is low enough latency after a week+ of switching between it and AptX LL. The latter isn't a must have in a headset for the Deck, but def nice to have.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

The Qudelix 5k is back in stock on their website if anyone is looking for a Bluetooth DAC/Amp to use with the Deck. $109 + $20 shipping.

LDAC is low enough latency after a week+ of switching between it and AptX LL. The latter isn't a must have in a headset for the Deck, but def nice to have.

Awesome I'm saving this for later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

v1ld posted:

I would get this if I could also use it as a in line dac and not just Bluetooth. It's tempting but I don't want to have to mix and match amps

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Red Robin Hood posted:

I see that until I close the game, and then it autocorrects to the actual in game time.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lockback posted:

I would get this if I could also use it as a in line dac and not just Bluetooth. It's tempting but I don't want to have to mix and match amps

You can: https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp/usb-dac

It even bypasses the battery and powers off the USB in this mode, lengthening battery life as they say on that page.

The iFi Go Blu will also work as a pure USB DAC - tested that with the desktop PC, though I don't know how it handles power/charging in that mode.

E: For lots more detail on the Qudelix, click through the features here: https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp

Just noticed this, emphasis mine:

quote:

SONY LDAC

We, Qudelix, have developed the LDAC library for QCC512x by ourselves, upon the official technical partnership contract between SONY and Qudelix. It's the proof of the world-class R & D capability of our team, and we're very proud of that.

Every line of the LDAC software library is optimized for the QCC512x platform and KALIMBA DSP architecture. The highly optimized LDAC library and the ultra-low-power QCC512x enables the LDAC streaming more secure and more extended.

LDAC Latency

5K offers a software option to adjust streaming stability and latency.

Secure (most prolonged latency)
Moderate (Balanced stability and latency)
Aggressive (min. latency)
In the Aggressive Mode, the latency(lag) is less than half of the CSR8675 LDAC, enabling video watching and mobile gaming without experiencing distinguishable delay or lag.

LDAC on the iFi Blu Go has been good enough for Elden Ring on the Deck. Looking forward to trying this out soon.

E: Using USB power where available feeds into their DAC performance where they have 2 modes to extend battery life: https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp/es9218p

More importantly for my use, there'll be more available power if I plug into a 5V USB looks like, which is a cool option to have.

Their pride in their design is super cool to see. Read on some audiophile forum that the company was founded by one of the lead designers at another place who wasn't allowed to implement their ideas. Seems about right from those pages.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 12, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Have they been open reservations or something where the preorder window opens for brief periods? I randomly opened Steam and saw that I could put a deposit down so I did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Have they been open reservations or something where the preorder window opens for brief periods? I randomly opened Steam and saw that I could put a deposit down so I did.

Its always been open they never actually closed the reservations I just wouldn't plan on getting one this year.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

They've never closed off reservations, so you go to the back of what I have to assume is a very long queue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ahh. That's cool. It's just a curiosity to me at this point, nothing I want much right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We really need a better community rating system than Proton DB for compatability. I have played a lot of playable games that were much more compatible than Hitman/2 (You need to manually specify DX12 for it to not stutter) or say Project Zomboid. PZ does not deserve a Verified rating imo. Yes, youcan totally play it and their controller support is decent, but I need to fiddle with tiny mouse only controls every time I start a session. It's not compatible with the touch screen and is far from a native experience.
Give us something like game ratings, let users vote on how compatible this poo poo is.