Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

I can't speak for CVN's, but on one particular CGN, engineroom temp was generally 35F higher than seawater temp. Feed Pump Watch in the Caribbean was, as they say, no bueno.

Feed pumps on Nimitz class CVNs would be 135 or so at the hottest I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It was fun in the early teens when I was in Hawaii and we were required to keep our ACs and such on ships set at the same values they were in San Diego despite the 15-20 degree difference in the temp of the water there vs Pearl Harbor.

It was hot and sweaty all the drat time.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Being on the flight deck at least I always had a nice breeze. :smug:

Until it was 10 degrees out. :v:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Indian Ocean is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different temperature than the Persian Gulf. Once you get into the Gulf of Oman its fine. As soon as you go back through the Strait of Hormuz its just buckets, soggy lagging, and rags everywhere.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I just got down from "hiking" Diamond Head. That is my contribution to Hot and Sweaty Chat.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I thought it was fun. A nice view of Waikiki that you can take in without blowing a day on it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Lay period in Sharja was sea temp >100, ER temps of >150, and then we had to go dead ship to change out a SW overboard. Only time I've been hotter was plugging tunes in a steam drum at sea. Much prefer Indian Ocean.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Checking in after a month being out of the Navy.

It's still awesome.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Checking in after a month being out of the Navy.

It's still awesome.

Have you smoked all the weed yet?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I got out 30 years ago yesterday. It's still good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Madurai posted:

I got out 30 years ago yesterday. It's still good.

21 years for me and I’m good with it.

I don’t regret my time in at all though I’m just happy I made the right choice to get out when I did. I almost re upped in the gulf (pre 9/11) but they wouldn’t let me change my NEC (?) so I said gently caress it which was the right call.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
18 more months and I'm done...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh…. 6 more years then another 8.

Gonna be so drat broken at 58.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just passed two years and my life improved exponentially after leaving.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I got out 22 years ago. Still had a dream this week that I was deploying back to a ship as a fat, old 48 year old gs15.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Honestly If it wasn’t for the PRT I’d weigh at least 30lbs more.

Maybe not the worst reason for staying in but it’s better than nothing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Honestly If it wasn’t for the PRT I’d weigh at least 30lbs more.

Maybe not the worst reason for staying in but it’s better than nothing.

You just change your motivation from external (pass because Navy says so) to internal for why you exercise. I now exercise as I cannot imagine how much I'd hurt if I got heavier than 195lb or more sedentary

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This April was 10 years out for me, and I relish every day I don't have to muster in the hangar bay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

You just change your motivation from external (pass because Navy says so) to internal for why you exercise. I now exercise as I cannot imagine how much I'd hurt if I got heavier than 195lb or more sedentary

You’ll be fine until 220lb trust me.

>.>
<.<

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't miss the reasons I got out but if there was some magic finger snap reason to just go on an underway again then go back home I would do it in a SECOND.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I don't miss the reasons I got out but if there was some magic finger snap reason to just go on an underway again then go back home I would do it in a SECOND.

My friend have your heard about the reserves and USNS ships?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Crab Dad posted:

My friend have your heard about the reserves and USNS ships?

Naw there's still like, BS associated with those. I'm just saying if I could walk on the day of deployment, walk off when we get back, and stand 1 in 4's I'd happily do it. Maybe 1 in 3's if I could stay on midwatch.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anybody know anything about what's going on here? https://news.usni.org/2022/06/11/destroyer-uss-bulkeley-commander-cmc-removed

"Lack of confidence in their ability to work as a command team" sounds like something they'd write when they won't write the actual reason.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Have you smoked all the weed yet?

It's too hard, I just finished off a gram of flower that's been getting me stoned every other dayish for two weeks, this modern poo poo's too potent.

I'd reenlist if I was allowed to take a giant tub of edibles underway with me, and grow a beard.

(No I wouldn't, I loving love my new job)

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Madurai posted:

Anybody know anything about what's going on here? https://news.usni.org/2022/06/11/destroyer-uss-bulkeley-commander-cmc-removed

"Lack of confidence in their ability to work as a command team" sounds like something they'd write when they won't write the actual reason.

I don't know anything about it (retired 9 years ago) but here's a link with some other firings, too. Three COs canned in one week.

Good job, Navy.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/three-navy-commanders-relieved-of-duty-in-the-past-week/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I like that the Navy loves shitcanning leadership unless of course it’s part of a massive pacific wide conspiracy including high ranking admirals to defraud the government to fund the hooker and coke account for awesome Indonesian foam parties or if it’s a CMC trying to abuse and grope their way through their staff in which case promote ahead of peers.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Nevermind. Didn't mean to kill the thread.

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 15, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elendil004 posted:

Naw there's still like, BS associated with those. I'm just saying if I could walk on the day of deployment, walk off when we get back, and stand 1 in 4's I'd happily do it. Maybe 1 in 3's if I could stay on midwatch.

That's just being a crewman for the merchant marines.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlternateNu posted:

That's just being a crewman for the merchant marines.

Nah we stand 1 in 3 or 1 in 2.

We’re union though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Steamships are gone, its 8-5 with 30 min coffee at 10 and 15, dirty work cleanup at 1145 and 1645, and an hour for lunch. If I want off I just have to give 24 hour notice in a US port.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/aaron_con_choco/status/1537597494141497345?t=Lvqnlay7bk3EvlgyQ4rFRw&s=19

Downturns always good times for recruiters

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thinking about mobilizing in October 2023.

Anyone want to be my mob buddy?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

Thinking about mobilizing in October 2023.

Anyone want to be my mob buddy?

Where you mobilizing to, and USNS?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Where you mobilizing to, and USNS?

If the mission is still going I’d volunteer for the USNS Trenton again.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crab Dad posted:

If the mission is still going I’d volunteer for the USNS Trenton again.

You could always try for a mob to a combatant command. You’ve got a TS and you are an IT right? J6 at PACCOM (Pearl Harbor) or EUCOM/AFRICOM (Germany) are the best COCOM locations. A close third goes to NORTHCOM at Peterson SFB Colorado. CENTCOM and SOCOM are in Tampa Florida, and SOUTHCOM is in Miami. Second to last place is USTRANSCOM in the St Louis area and last place is loving STRATCOM in Omaha Nebraska.

I can’t recommend SOUTHCOM with a good conscience- the cost of living is such that you’ll go broke to not be staying in a literal crack den. Plus, the loving entire command has been an exercise in navel gazing for decades.

The missions at USTRANSCOM and STRATCOM kind of make up for their locations.

Honestly I feel like a NORTHCOM/STRATCOM/TRANSCOM would be easy to swing for without competition and would be rewarding. EUCOM is probably desperate for bodies- but I can’t imagine it’s as easy to swing a Germany mob. There’s got to be competition for that. CENTCOM and SOCOM are hell, I won’t lie. Unless you didn’t get your fill of operation useless dirt I’d avoid these two. Especially since SOCOM is more of an administrative command than combatant command, 4 star commander or not.

We had navy IT’s that worked in our J2 as J6 liaisons and they were almost all reservists. Seemed like a great job.

As long as you’ve got that TS some of the combatant commands are a great place to do your mobilization.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’d mob to Hawaii in a heart beat because my wife would love an extended vacation since we are a direct flight away. However the competition has to be fierce for those spots. Also I’d feel obligated to work on my pin.
Germany is a close second too but I’d rather go back to the USNS beer can than any of those other places. Being an EKMS guy would most likely make me pretty competitive for that gig again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh if the US goes into full on recession and job prospects dry up, and I somehow got let go from current employment, yeah sure why not I'd re-up for 4 years to avoid the underside of a bridge. 3 hots, a cot, and since I'd be coming back in at my rank I'd have decent BAH for wherever I went Id be happy. I did it to dodge the economic collapse last time too and it worked pretty ok for me. Sucked yeah but sucked less than being homeless.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thanks to medical neglect forced upon me during my time in I make almost as much in disability than I averaged in base pay gently caress that lol.

Thankfully knees backs and hip stuff is all pretty fixable just need to spend about a half and hour or so each day doing yoga and PT and it's been improving.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 18, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Thanks to medical neglect forced upon me during my time in I make almost as much in disability than I averaged in base pay gently caress that lol.

Thankfully knees backs and hip stuff is all pretty fixable just need to spend about a half and hour or so each day doing yoga and PT and it's been improving.

Same exact boat I’m in. Knee could have been fixed if Navy medical just OK’d a trip to Portsmouth for an MRI but instead insisted I just had a sprain… for two years. :stare:

Anyway, yoga and stretching each day and it’s fine with a good ol’ paycheck. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've outlined a lot of my complaints about the Navy in this thread, and I joined in '08, during the peak of the financial crisis, because I was on the verge of being homeless. I managed to excel in whatever my role as an MMN was for the rear of my career, I collected 7 NAMs and SOY over that period.

But I'd like to give a list of things I'd rather do than reenlist as an E6 in the Navy, in order of preference.

-Sell everything and live in my truck, homeless.
-prostitute myself.
- live on the streets with no means of support.
-Starve (which I've done in the Navy during a deployment where all our meat rotted and we were restricted to 500 calories a day)
-put a 9mm hollowpoint in my loving brain

I know that sounds hyperbolic as hell, but suicide is preferable to life in the Navy by a huge degree for me, personally. Basically the way I see it is the difference between a life of pain and slavery followed by death, and just death.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, I know for a fact most of the Navy never experiences the trauma I have, but for me personally, I'd sever my windpipe with a steak knife before I put that loving uniform on ever again.

gently caress. The. Navy.

Permanent unconsciousness is preferable to reenlisting.