Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Excel used to not let you change an axis to log scale if some of the data were in the negative range. It may still be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It looks like :prepop:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
That looks like a flat, straight, line would fit just as well as that curve.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
clearly that datapoint at d11 isn't an outlier and needs to be counted

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

N=6. Yeah, that's worth a graph, why wouldn't it be?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I count eight points on that plot.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ultrafilter posted:

I count eight points on that plot.

I count nine There's one way up top near the title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

And it's completely driving the fit of their "model" too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/1c/42/00422239.0005.png

The N is the number of patients, the data point is the mean of all of them

which does raise the question what the gently caress happened to one or all of them on that day 10 visit

I mean, to be fair it could totally be a legitimate data point, aliasing and all.

this is it, for the curious https://investor.cariboubio.com/news-releases/news-release-details/caribou-biosciences-announces-positive-initial-data-cb-010-anti

ahahahahaha the n=5 for 'evaluable' so they can claim 100% response rate

e: which seems to be because the 6th patient was too new for the trial submission cutoff date

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jun 11, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

poo poo like this really erodes my confidence in the "softer" sciences. I've spoken with biologists that happily put their small samples into a statistical black box that yielded "results" with absolutely no understanding of the process. Charts like the above are just insulting. I hope this poo poo isn't as widespread as it seems.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

poo poo like this really erodes my confidence in the "softer" sciences. I've spoken with biologists that happily put their small samples into a statistical black box that yielded "results" with absolutely no understanding of the process. Charts like the above are just insulting. I hope this poo poo isn't as widespread as it seems.

I'm a non-academic research statistician and this is something I spend a fair amount of time thinking about. The tl;dr is that there is reason for concern but not for despair. I want to do a more serious treatment at some point but I still need to spend some time thinking about what exactly I want to say.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How should they proceed with studies that can only have a small sample size out of necessity?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol 'softer' sciences

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134305/

I think this makes a compelling argument for keeping small n studies around

In defense of that graph, the trend line does do its job of demonstrating their hypothesis of how the dna is replicated in the body over time in general. Biology by nature is going to be very noisy anyways.

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jun 11, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You have to do small studies in medicine when dose finding, it would be unethical to go straight to big study sizes. The issue is that PK curve isn't supported by their data.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As someone with a background in super soft science (linguistics/phonetics), I was always taught that you should just present the data as is instead of making graphs if your sample size is that low. Just skip the statistics entirely and just look at the data. It's not like your p value or error bars or whatever is meaningful anyway.
And then just write "looks like people get less cancer around day 10 in this sample" instead of trying to visualize it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
well for this its the concentration of the specific gene edit/creation. It doesn't seem too out there to say 'the mechanisms at play here see a maximum of replication after around 10 days' and you must be aware there are many many people who need a nice neat curve to understand something and for whom a bunch of points is meaningless.

Also, we don't know the context for this particular graph. Considering the study sponsor is presenting this at an industry(?) event right now, it seems reasonable they want to make things look pretty to easily get their point across.

Heck, as a layperson I could totally see them pointing to this and saying 'well as you can the max concentration of copies is around 10 days in, after which it falls off over a month. Realistically you only need to watch for a CRS for X days' or something like that

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Jun 11, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah understanding the expansion of the cells is really important for understanding toxicity and efficacy, but what they've done is fit what would be expected from a normal autologous CAR T product to their allogeneic one. They can't infer the timing of peak expansion from their data.

The expansion of cell therapies is also highly variable and the lack of any kind of range means you can't understand what's going on at day 10.

The research and product is pretty interesting, being a potential off the shelf lymphoma cell therapy, and it's gene edited in a way that ~should~ improve the efficacy. However, that graph is bullshit.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol 'softer' sciences

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Count Roland posted:

Since when is biology a “soft science”?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

M.D.s doing research and leading a study even though they have no experience and just started after medical school

:awesome:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah understanding the expansion of the cells is really important for understanding toxicity and efficacy, but what they've done is fit what would be expected from a normal autologous CAR T product to their allogeneic one.

so what you're saying is they are *definitely* pointing to it for investors :v:

Whooping Crabs posted:

M.D.s doing research and leading a study even though they have no experience and just started after medical school

:awesome:

To be fair, checking her CV she did years of a clinical residency to start with. did she lead studies in that??

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

To be fair, checking her CV she did years of a clinical residency to start with. did she lead studies in that??

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic and unfair to her. Just speaking from experience, I have worked with some very demanding and bad MD researchers (and also some good ones). The graph would not hold up to publication level scrutiny, and that's why it's on a research poster.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

King Hong Kong posted:

Since the gender ratio of biologists got to be about even.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I were rich I would build a machine that fires buckshot at a target and then a robot comes in and draws a trend line on it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see you've played American connect-the-dots before

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.theonion.com/gently caress-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If I were rich I would build a machine that fires buckshot at a target and then a robot comes in and draws a trend line on it.

It's fine we have the R squared on there!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Probably one of the Onion articles that they were more OK with coming true

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
maps are charts right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

maps are charts right?

I demand Latvia cease hostilities and end this naval blockade at once!

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Since the gender ratio of biologists got to be about even.

I honestly can't tell what joke you're reaching for here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jeebus bob posted:

I honestly can't tell what joke you're reaching for here.

there's a correlation of a science field having more women and it being classified a "soft" science, and it's not a coincidence

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jun 11, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's called :biotruths: for a reason.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Way back in the day, SNL made a commercial making fun of the Trac II. They added another blade (how ridiculous!) and called it the Triple Track. The first blade pulls the hair out, the second grabs it and the third sneaks up and slices it.

And by that graph, we should be approaching infinite blades. I'm picturing a tank tread like belt with blades.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

It's harder than psychology but softer than chemistry. As I mentioned above I've met/known biology students with no real mathematical understanding-- they just plug numbers into a computer. I've not encountered this in fields like neuroscience or physics though I'm sure it's still possible.

This isn't meant as a dig. Lacking math doesn't invalidate a field of research. Seeing scientists gently caress up basic statistics is concerning to me though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

It's this but real life:

https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html

quote:

Electron Band Structure In Germanium, My rear end

Abstract: The exponential dependence of resistivity on temperature in germanium is found to be a great big lie. My careful theoretical modeling and painstaking experimentation reveal 1) that my equipment is crap, as are all the available texts on the subject and 2) that this whole exercise was a complete waste of my time.
Check this poo poo out (Fig. 1). That's bonafide, 100%-real data, my friends. I took it myself over the course of two weeks. And this was not a leisurely two weeks, either; I busted my rear end day and night in order to provide you with nothing but the best data possible. Now, let's look a bit more closely at this data, remembering that it is absolutely first-rate. Do you see the exponential dependence? I sure don't. I see a bunch of crap.
Christ, this was such a waste of my time.
Banking on my hopes that whoever grades this will just look at the pictures, I drew an exponential through my noise. I believe the apparent legitimacy is enhanced by the fact that I used a complicated computer program to make the fit. I understand this is the same process by which the top quark was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
does anyone who puts stock in a distinction between hard and soft sciences ever put their discipline on the soft side?

anyway, whenever I hear hard science I think of