Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lol didn't read cuz I get to play as WARIO lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It is a bummer that the Mario sports games this gen have been so threadbare with their single player content. It didn't bother me with the new Mario Golf because hey all you need are a bunch of golf courses to have a good time by yourself but it definitely hurts the other games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

'E3' /Direct predictions? I'm thinking they might show off a roadmap of upcoming n64 titles, and maybe a BOTW 2 trailer.

Are they still doing one of those ? This “e3” has been incredibly not exciting

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
tldr Wario eats a drat garlic lamo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The world went down a dark path when they started using the font from Wii Fit for every single sports and party game

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
All jokes aside, Strikers does suck? I was excited and was going to go get it today :gonk:

That sucks. I guess I’ll just hold out for baseball (which will never come).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

eightysixed posted:

All jokes aside, Strikers does suck? I was excited and was going to go get it today :gonk:

That sucks. I guess I’ll just hold out for baseball (which will never come).

Um, did you not read the post that says you get to play as WARIO?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are they still doing one of those ? This “e3” has been incredibly not exciting

They're officially not doing an E3, but I strongly believe that there'll be a direct this week (it's when other companies are showing off stuff), followed by a treehouse or something similar, where they deep dive into some games. Two years ago, I think that was done with Origami King. Last year, they played the then-upcoming Mario Golf.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Um, did you not read the post that says you get to play as WARIO?

I can do that in Golf and Tennis.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

eightysixed posted:

I can do that in Golf and Tennis.

Skip it. The reason why they did those 1 hour beta tests is because the online play really only works when you have a mass number of people online. When there isn't Battle League is useless and there's barely any single player content. Wish ninte do allowed refunds

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Out of the three switch Mario sports games, it makes sense that Golf is probably the best; it's chill and doesn't need anyone else to enjoy it (but is WAY better with friends).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fair enough :smith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wheres mario baseball

And that one basketball game with the final fantasy characters

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Out of the three switch Mario sports games, it makes sense that Golf is probably the best; it's chill and doesn't need anyone else to enjoy it (but is WAY better with friends).

Yeah, I have hundreds of hours into both, and still basically play a round or a match probably once a day.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wheres mario baseball
:tviv:
That could be fun if they did it right….. if they did it right.

I misread this as Mario Basketball.
But still, it'd be fun if they did it correctly.
But I agree, where is Baseball?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 11, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, I have hundreds of hours into both, and still basically play a round or a match probably once a day.

I need to get back into it, myself. I love the motion golfing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

An Actual Princess posted:

lol didn't read cuz I get to play as WARIO lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd want another Mario Basketball but only if Soken does the music for it again so he can put it on his resumé too.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

'E3' /Direct predictions? I'm thinking they might show off a roadmap of upcoming n64 titles, and maybe a BOTW 2 trailer.

Given that they do a Zelda game every year, I wouldn't be surprised by either ww/tp ports, or Oracle remakes (grezzo's last game was the Awakening remake 3 years ago).

I could see an eShop Kirby game coming out, as an anniversary title and nso fodder.

Probably wishful thinking, but maybe a Metroid prime trailer for 2023 release.

What I'm really looking forward to is a deep dive on bayo3, which is practically guaranteed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kid seems to enjoy Strikers :shrug:

Maybe they'll beef it up like they did Tennis and Golf, but I'm not calling for a refund yet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mdemone posted:

Kid seems to enjoy Strikers :shrug:

Maybe they'll beef it up like they did Tennis and Golf, but I'm not calling for a refund yet.

no sorry it has no content and is bad actually. no one is having fun with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m not having fun because I really wanna see what secret gear unlocks after completing galactic difficulty but it’s really loving hard. :rant:

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

An Actual Princess posted:

no sorry it has no content and is bad actually. no one is having fun with it.

I mean most of us don't have the mindset of a five year old and like some content in our games

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

worms butthole guy posted:

I mean most of us don't have the mindset of a five year old and like some content in our games

nice av

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

What else could they add to Strikers other than Cups for single player content? Career mode in a Mario sports game sounds weird as hell, it would just be cups but with extra dialogue and junk getting in the way of the actual games.

Actually now I’m imagining a mode where you’re a rookie Wario trying to make it in the big leagues and I’m sold. A super serious sports sim career mode a la FIFA or MLB The Show except you’re Wario eating Garlic and farting in the locker room in between games.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

What else could they add to Strikers other than Cups for single player content? Career mode in a Mario sports game sounds weird as hell, it would just be cups but with extra dialogue and junk getting in the way of the actual games.

Actually now I’m imagining a mode where you’re a rookie Wario trying to make it in the big leagues and I’m sold. A super serious sports sim career mode a la FIFA or MLB The Show except you’re Wario eating Garlic and farting in the locker room in between games.

Yes that, tournaments, leagues literally anything else that isn't quick match and the cup modes. Even the Battle League available as a offline mode would be good. I guess the other issue though is the gear you unlock totals about 20 pieces per person and they all put a negative on your character, so you don't ever really progress

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I enjoy Strikers quite a lot. Definitely don't get it if you need good single-player. I've already beaten all the cups on both normal and hard, and until the Battle League season starts in 9 days there's nothing else to do except play online. As I said in my earlier posts, though, I'm happy that Next Level Games focused primarily on delivering fun gameplay. The actual soccer part in Strikers is awesome.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the local multiplayer like?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I guess light on single player content is a valid complaint but like, it’s clearly meant to be a multiplayer game. Don’t get it if you don’t plan on doing that?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We're having tournaments at work so strikers is good

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wheres mario baseball

And that one basketball game with the final fantasy characters

We need more basketball combat versus a behemoth

Also don't forget that NBA Street v3 and SSX on Tour had Mario (and Luigi and Peach) in them because somehow that was a deal EA and Nintendo made

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

man nurse posted:

I guess light on single player content is a valid complaint but like, it’s clearly meant to be a multiplayer game. Don’t get it if you don’t plan on doing that?

You could say the same about Smash Bros, but thankfully they didn't just whack an online mode in and call it a day like most recent Ninty offerings

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Mario Tennis had a single player quest thing where you had to gather pieces of a sacred tennis racquet or something. I didn't play it very much but I think it had unique missions, like hitting a bunch of emerging piranha plants etc. I don't think it was very well received.

I think to make a meaningful single player experience in these types of games, it's best to do it as an RPG with stat growth, like the old Camelot games. Then maybe import your character into online games (normalized to some standard so everyone's roughly equivalent).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Mario Tennis had a single player quest thing where you had to gather pieces of a sacred tennis racquet or something. I didn't play it very much but I think it had unique missions, like hitting a bunch of emerging piranha plants etc. I don't think it was very well received.

I think to make a meaningful single player experience in these types of games, it's best to do it as an RPG with stat growth, like the old Camelot games. Then maybe import your character into online games (normalized to some standard so everyone's roughly equivalent).

Agreed. However I think the base gameplay is pretty good, again this is from watching someone else play.

Just beef it. Like the others. They can manage that kind of poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

xedo posted:

Given that they do a Zelda game every year, I wouldn't be surprised by either ww/tp ports, or Oracle remakes (grezzo's last game was the Awakening remake 3 years ago).

I could see an eShop Kirby game coming out, as an anniversary title and nso fodder.

Probably wishful thinking, but maybe a Metroid prime trailer for 2023 release.

What I'm really looking forward to is a deep dive on bayo3, which is practically guaranteed.

This feels wrong. Is there really a Zelda released yearly?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

I still gotta play it at some point. There's just so many games coming out my backlog keeps getting larger. IIRC, Triangle Strategy is by the same team that did the Bravely games?

All except Bravely Default 2 I think, which was done by a different studio. Though I don't know how much of the actual team is the same between Bravely, Octopath, and TriStrat. Octopath and TriStrat also had other studios co-develop (Artdink for TriStrat). Same producer, though.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Len posted:

This feels wrong. Is there really a Zelda released yearly?

2021: Skyward Sword HD
2020: Age of Calamity
2019: Link's Awakening remake
2018: Hyrule Warriors switch version
2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Twilight Princess HD
2015: Majora's Mask 3D and triforce heroes
2014: original Hyrule Warriors
2013: Wind Waker HD and Link Between Worlds

The last year without a retail Zelda game was 2012. But granted, that's only if you count the various hyrule warrior games and other spinoffs - if you don't, that's fair. But this pace of releases is why I assumed that WW/TP ports were impossible this year until BOTW2 was delayed, and now I think they're a lot more likely as a filler release.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Kinda annoyed we're not getting a sale this weekend like the Euros.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
so what are the games on the Nintendo Switch that allow you to play as WARIO?

wario ware
smash and sports and carts

is that it? seems like a narrow crop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

so what are the games on the Nintendo Switch that allow you to play as WARIO?

wario ware
smash and sports and carts

is that it? seems like a narrow crop

Party