Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Some of those might be worth looking at. Last time I had the issue it was due to minify everything. I uninstalled a normal vent and the game was not pleased and I'd get thousands of errors about trying to assign someone to haul the things. Deconstructed them with God mode and poof everyone happy again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Speaking of minify everything, I just hit up some pristine ruins since they were close and with a reasonably high wealth finally. Among the great stonking piles of loot (and two of my favorite transport pods!! That's the biggest score of the night) were 5 minified steam geysers.

I choose to leave them as to not totally cheese all power generation needs :v:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Question about one kind of annoying aspect of the game.

What is the best way to insure that pawns won't eat survival meals while in the colony, but will eat them while travelling?

I know you can set up multiple food restrictions, so you can setup one that allows and one that forbids survival meals and then switch between them when you send out a caravan, but, just picture me in black and white turning towards the camera and going

"There's got to be a better way!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess store them in a forbidden zone that only a couple dedicated haulers (with perma-diet-restrictions) have access to? i think caravan forming doesn't care about zones

alternatively, forbid the meals once produced. caravan forming doesn't care about forbidden status.

or cook better meals! pawns'll prioritise eating fine/lavish meals over gruel and slop

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

or cook better meals! pawns'll prioritise eating fine/lavish meals over gruel and slop

how dare you! my pawns love their insect meat nutrient paste

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pulsarcat posted:

What is the best way to insure that pawns won't eat survival meals while in the colony, but will eat them while travelling?

Not sure you can find an insurance company that will offer a policy for videogame events tbh.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pulsarcat posted:

I know you can set up multiple food restrictions, so you can setup one that allows and one that forbids survival meals and then switch between them when you send out a caravan, but, just picture me in black and white turning towards the camera and going

I use the Flickable Storage mod on a Deep Storage meal rack, setting it to Accept Only. Pawns will insert meals but won't take from it to eat, and can still grab them to load into caravans. Works nearly perfectly, and if you're some kind of masochist who doesn't use Deep Storage the same strategy will work with vanilla stockpiles as well.

I find that this doesn't help much if you end up with pawns that are being hand fed (prisoners, medical patients) because it seems to often result in feeding survival meals since they're occasionally closer to the nurse than the dining room and I don't feed my prisoners lavish meals anyways.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

isndl posted:

I find that this doesn't help much if you end up with pawns that are being hand fed (prisoners, medical patients) because it seems to often result in feeding survival meals since they're occasionally closer to the nurse than the dining room and I don't feed my prisoners lavish meals anyways.

I like to keep stocked fridges with fine meals in my hospitals, same with simple meals for prisons. Helps their nurses, and passers-by who might need one for their inventory, and makes sure they don't take the wrong meal. Unless the nurse starts pathing from somewhere way, way away

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't have to refrigerate survival meals. Store them in the rear end crack of nowhere for emergencies.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah I keep mine locked away with all the other valuable poo poo I don't want them getting their hands on.

That Toggle Storage mod sounds good tho.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I in fact do not have the deep storage or flickable storage mods, looks like I'll be adding them.
Even though I mostly cook fine meals, pawns would still snag a survival meal every once in a while, so thanks to everyone for the advice!

Everyone except for you.

Private Speech posted:

Not sure you can find an insurance company that will offer a policy for videogame events tbh.

You're the worst! :mad:

Kind of a funny story, I was just about to send out a trade caravan when someone decided that exact moment they needed to slaughter one of the horses, so they barreled into the caravan just before it started leaving and decided to kill a horse.

Trade goods and food exploded everywhere, the rest of the caravan basically decided a trade mission didn't need any of that and started hauling rear end for the edge of the map.

I didn't notice until just after they left the map.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

Two better ways:

1) Forbid them until you're ready to travel, then unforbid. Much easier than setting food restrictions

2) Keep them somewhere out of the way that's inconvenient to reach by hungry pawns. This isn't foolproof but works pretty well. Putting them behind a forbidden door makes this foolproof but is basically just option 1

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 11, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pulsarcat posted:

Kind of a funny story, I was just about to send out a trade caravan when someone decided that exact moment they needed to slaughter one of the horses, so they barreled into the caravan just before it started leaving and decided to kill a horse.

Trade goods and food exploded everywhere, the rest of the caravan basically decided a trade mission didn't need any of that and started hauling rear end for the edge of the map.

I didn't notice until just after they left the map.

Lmao yeah the auto slaughter logic needs a bit of work. Like someone else said in reply to a post of mine, it can be a bit heavy handed.

I watched just last night as one of my dinosaurs was hauling some advanced components from a drop pod, the chef casually walked by and slit it's throat and kept going. I can't wait for the same to happen but in the middle of an animal rescue, dumping a critically bleeding pawn on the ground in my courtyard.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A good place to store them is on a shed by your caravan hitching spot along with bedrolls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrath posted:

Lmao yeah the auto slaughter logic needs a bit of work. Like someone else said in reply to a post of mine, it can be a bit heavy handed.

I watched just last night as one of my dinosaurs was hauling some advanced components from a drop pod, the chef casually walked by and slit it's throat and kept going. I can't wait for the same to happen but in the middle of an animal rescue, dumping a critically bleeding pawn on the ground in my courtyard.

We can all hope to go this way, irl. Carrying stuff around in an Amazon Warehouse and then your wrist starts blinking to indicate that you've turned 40, and a manager just walks by and quickly slits your throat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just don't make survival meals. I drop pod to places and then teleport home

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can set prisoner food restrictions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't make survival meals, I make pemmican. :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

We can all hope to go this way, irl. Carrying stuff around in an Amazon Warehouse and then your wrist starts blinking to indicate that you've turned 40, and a manager just walks by and quickly slits your throat

Hey I think I saw that Justin Timberlake movie.

E: poo poo some mod is interacting with SRTS Expanded. I can order bombing runs, the pod does the run, I get the notification in the top left that bombing has begun, but there are no explosions. Time to dig. :aaa: Oh my god you have to load it with mortar shells as well as a pilot. Duh. Wow bombing runs rule.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 12, 2022

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

I make a bill to sustain something like a hundred packaged meals and don't mind when one is eaten for breakfast. Pawns * 2 fine meals, then Pawns * 2 simple meals, then as much packaged meals as I deem necessary.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've been running transhumanist a lot specifically so my pawns are okay with nutrient paste. I don't have a problem managing cooking food and all that, I'm just done with the micromanagement required to keep them from whipping a meal out of their pocket after combat or something and getting that ridiculously punishing "ate without table" debuff. They actually have to walk all the way back to the lovely dining room I set up to eat nutrient paste, and end up happier on balance.

Of course caravans need to eat pemmican or survival meals, and I'm not going to bother changing assignments every time I send someone out, so I just allow everyone on the "paste" food assignment to eat pemmican while I have caravans out. It's hell. Half my colony is tribals who I have worship at the anima tree daily. Whenever there's a caravan out they all make themselves miserable by snacking on pocket pemmican after their daily meditation. And it's not like I could build a dining room next to the anima tree, even if I wanted to.

It occurs to me that I could just mod out the "ate without table" debuff, rather than jumping through all these hoops to make sure my dumbass pawns actually use the dining room, but that feels too much like cheating.

Now if there was a mod that let me forbid colonists from putting food in their pockets, that might be a better feeling solution. Why do pawns carry food with them by default? It only makes them miserable and everything runs a lot smother when they actually have to return to a central location to eat. It's not like the penalty for being a bit hungry while you walk across the map is all that severe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Schedule your meditation an hour after they wake up, so they'll have a chance to eat first before running off into the woods

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think pawns carry food because when they get a job to eat, they tie up the entire meal stack the entire time they're pathing to it. good chance of causing starvation in low-food colonies

deffo should be like medicine where you can configure how many meals pawns carry though

i would also enjoy seeing an ideological precept around no-table-eating. turn it into a buff in exchange for, i dunno, decreased comfort gain from furniture or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

i would also enjoy seeing an ideological precept around no-table-eating. turn it into a buff in exchange for, i dunno, decreased comfort gain from furniture or something

Massive diplomatic malus from every other faction.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Eiba posted:

I've been running transhumanist a lot specifically so my pawns are okay with nutrient paste. I don't have a problem managing cooking food and all that, I'm just done with the micromanagement required to keep them from whipping a meal out of their pocket after combat or something and getting that ridiculously punishing "ate without table" debuff. They actually have to walk all the way back to the lovely dining room I set up to eat nutrient paste, and end up happier on balance.

Of course caravans need to eat pemmican or survival meals, and I'm not going to bother changing assignments every time I send someone out, so I just allow everyone on the "paste" food assignment to eat pemmican while I have caravans out. It's hell. Half my colony is tribals who I have worship at the anima tree daily. Whenever there's a caravan out they all make themselves miserable by snacking on pocket pemmican after their daily meditation. And it's not like I could build a dining room next to the anima tree, even if I wanted to.

It occurs to me that I could just mod out the "ate without table" debuff, rather than jumping through all these hoops to make sure my dumbass pawns actually use the dining room, but that feels too much like cheating.

Now if there was a mod that let me forbid colonists from putting food in their pockets, that might be a better feeling solution. Why do pawns carry food with them by default? It only makes them miserable and everything runs a lot smother when they actually have to return to a central location to eat. It's not like the penalty for being a bit hungry while you walk across the map is all that severe.

Good news, there is a mod to stop colonists from putting food in their pockets.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Can someone do me a solid and like MS Paint a killbox design onto this pic. I'm pretty bad at designing them and I forgot where to find the examples that you guys showed me. Killbox design is the one weakness I have when playing rimworld. So far i have a bunker for defensive work and a fallback into the mountain at the front door should I need to stack melee fighters or something to stop the oncoming horde. I'm not that far into the game so I'm hoping if I master the killbox now, it'll hold up by the time we're farming in power armor. Thank you.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
also, will the animals eat smokeleaf plants if i plant them in the pen, and also get high off the smokeleaf? v curious to see if that would work out for some reason

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In vanilla: yes, no they don't seem to get high

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

In vanilla: yes, no they don't seem to get high

drat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am playing in a Gallatross Graveyard from Alpha Biomes, and there appears to be a bucket of asphalt that lets you put heavy walls on sand? How do I get asphalt?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think you need to be in the tar pits biome (Or whatever its called). I've got a colony there and I've seen tar spewing geysers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The vanilla moisture pump can convert “soft sand” into normal sand that can support heavy structures, if that’s the kind of sand you’re dealing with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

ridiculously punishing "ate without table" debuff.

Wait isn't it, like, -3?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eating without a table is -3, equally as bad as watching someone die.

lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And the bonus for getting nuzzled by a pet is stronger than seeing a dead body, a lot of the values are just a bit out of whack but man, I've never bothered to try to optimize around the ate without a table moodlet.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
To be fair, if seeing dead bodies gave a more severe penalty everyone would be complaining about their colonies imploding after the first 5+ enemy raid with zero recourse.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, that would really suck, and encourage fire based defense so my folks never had to see bodies.

As it is I tend to give most pawns Unaffected by Death after they earn a few points just so I don't have to worry about it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

To be fair, we care a lot more about dead bodies because for most of us it's a rare sight. On the unnamed world this takes place on pawns are ready to gun/stab or otherwise kill people on a moment's notice because their worlds have entire factions of people who's ethos is 'gently caress other people and their things.' I'd expect they've seen plenty of bodies.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
better to just get that mod that overhauls mental breaks so people actually break over legitimately bad things instead of ate without table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mad Wack posted:

better to just get that mod that overhauls mental breaks so people actually break over legitimately bad things instead of ate without table

otoh: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674133613