Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah thirding that the original version of the game looked better. New trailer looks very generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

God, I wonder what derogatory message Layers of Fear will peddle a third time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God, I wonder what derogatory message Layers of Fear will peddle a third time.

Wasn't the message in the first don't be a drunk rear end in a top hat?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pulcinella posted:

https://twitter.com/lunarsoftware/status/1534972102079565832

Apparently they are basically starting from scratch, which doesn’t fill me with confidence that it will actually come out (e.g. Scorn basically started over at least once for shinier graphics and doesn’t really seem any closer to finishing.)

Edit: Also agree that I think I prefer the older, blockier look.

I think this looks loving stunning, holy poo poo I'm thrilled.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Wasn't the message in the first don't be a drunk rear end in a top hat?

From what I remember, yes, but I remember it almost trying to excuse being one. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Wasn’t Layers of Fear’s message how hilarious it is to watch a little kid run full speed into a wall over and over again?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wasn’t Layers of Fear’s message how hilarious it is to watch a little kid run full speed into a wall over and over again?

Someone please do the needful

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bloober never released a good game. No, that one with a sleepwalking Rutger Hauer also sucked.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IGN called it that, the devs themselves call it a "Re-Reveal Trailer" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_wpvT6uDDQ

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am loving blown away that we got a new trailer for Routine in TYOOL 2022.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Now I want someone to make a game based on the original Routine teasers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Now I want someone to make a game based on the original Routine teasers.

The original game looked like it was basically Alien Isolation, which is probably why it got delayed for so long.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Longshot here but does anyone remember an indie horror game getting announced where you played as a city? I think the premise was you were given sentience because of a weird presence or a cult or something and you were basically like, manipulating the streets and alleys at night or when people weren't around to make them go certain places and potentially be killed either by the cult or maybe by you, like a tunnel might be one of your many mouths or whatever. Looked vaguely simmy, might have been sepia toned or black and white in the one or two screen shots.

I remember reading an article about its announcement and it had a couple screenshots but this would have been years ago, I assume it's just vaporware at this point since games will come out and not hit but usually I'll still hear about them at some point. Not being able to find the name is driving me a little crazy though and googling "horror game where you play as a city" just brings up stuff like the Sinking City cause it has the word city in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

I'm laughing that Youtube's recommendation is Alien Isolation because I'm pretty sure the devs at one point posted about their frustration at Isolation eating their lunch.

I don't know if this is a cinematic pre-rendered trailer, I certainly like their older blockier style better than this ultra smoothed over look.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you search the thread there will be at least an article about them complaining

Edit: clearly Bloobers new game is actually silent hill 2 remake and this is just a smokescreen. You can tell because they added an s to the end of the game like how silent hills added an s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silents Hills

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have thoughts on Maid of Sker? I've never even heard of it but it's on sale on steam and has some pretty polarizing (but mostly positive reviews)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard it's Skery

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Maid of Sker? I've never even heard of it but it's on sale on steam and has some pretty polarizing (but mostly positive reviews)

It's a good amnesia-style game. If you want a good amnesia-clone where you sneak around a spooky Welsh SAW trap inn while avoiding the monsters who ran the place then you'll enjoy it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question where I expect the answer is very much no.

Are there any games, or even stories, where the protagonist is a predatory mimic/The Thing type monster (Who does NOT have amnesia, or is in a simulation, whatever). Who is in human form to take advantage of the fact otherwise cunning """perfect predator""" space creatures who wisely avoid you normally, seem to drop everything to stick their noses inside closets and lockers if a human is involved.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

thebardyspoon posted:

Longshot here but does anyone remember an indie horror game getting announced where you played as a city?

I dunno what game you mean, but I would also like to know! This sounds dope.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sakurazuka posted:

Silents Hills

it's french, like how femmes fatales, films noirs or forces majeures get pluralized

la silents hills

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
sacre bleu, tête de pyramide

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Section Z posted:

Are there any games, or even stories, where the protagonist is a predatory mimic/The Thing type monster (Who does NOT have amnesia, or is in a simulation, whatever). Who is in human form to take advantage of the fact otherwise cunning """perfect predator""" space creatures who wisely avoid you normally, seem to drop everything to stick their noses inside closets and lockers if a human is involved.

The Hitman series in my headcanon. That is the only explanation for how his disguise skill is so good.

Space Station 13 has a role for that.

Among Us

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

The Hitman series in my headcanon. That is the only explanation for how his disguise skill is so good.

Space Station 13 has a role for that.

Among Us

I like counting Hitman as this, as much because lore perfect Agent 47 does not kill civilians (though may sometimes beat them over the head with their own instruments to steal their clothes). I have never gotten around to playing Space Station 13, so I will take your word for it there is a "Eat generic people eaters, by impersonating people" role. I mean, doesn't that game also have literal wizards and other bullshit?

The spoiler doesn't really seem to fit though. Because it is known for "Ate the stupid human" instead of "Ate the stupid monster, who thought I was a delicious helpless human."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 11, 2022

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So basically "Alien: Isolation except you're The Thing and have a taste for xenomorphs."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shadowlyger posted:

So basically "Alien: Isolation except you're The Thing and have a taste for xenomorphs."

Yeah, I have no idea why the concept amuses me so much. Or the idea of alien research into trying (and failing) to determine why it is so effective as some soft cosmic horror of the 'Do Humans exist to suffer?' variety. "Test 87: I tried a large and slow form with weak legs, just like the favorite natural prey of a Muncher. Xarblaz testing Human form ran right past me, stacked some chairs, and crawled into an airvent. The muncher ran right past me to look in the airvent. Why does this keep happening?"

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Aliens Vs To Catch a Predator?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Prototype and its sequel.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What did people think of Dye nfl Light? I’ve been looking to play a new horror game and I saw it’s only $12 on steam at the moment.

I really liked the resort part of Dead Island although I felt like it went downhill after that.

I’ve watched a couple of Dying Light gameplay videos and the parkour looks pretty cool, not sure about the melee combat though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dye NFL light 1 is pretty drat good but can be a bit repetitive and weirdly balanced. It's mostly really fun and has a ton of post launch support. Dye NFL light 2 is ok enough but sort of a mess check it out in 2 years. Currently the first one is almost objectively better imo.

They are both flawed but not a bad time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Dye NFL light 1 is pretty drat good but can be a bit repetitive and weirdly balanced. It's mostly really fun and has a ton of post launch support. Dye NFL light 2 is ok enough but sort of a mess check it out in 2 years. Currently the first one is almost objectively better imo.

They are both flawed but not a bad time.

LMAO, I read your post and thought “man the autocorrect did a job on this person” and then scrolled up and saw my own post :doh:

I actually typed “dyeing” or something and autocorrect came up with the correct spelling and I swear I selected it, and then it does that poo poo to me somehow.

I’m leaving it the way it is, though!

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

if you play any of the dye nfl lights, the first one would be the one to go with

dont play 2 because its awful and a step backward in almost every way

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
You start out as a slow, bumbling fuckwit named Kyle Crane and you will eventually become the agile, one-man death machine fuckwit named Kyle Crane. Story's pretty dumb, I'd say dumber than Dead Island in some ways if you can believe that, but the gameplay's a significant improvement on it in every conceivable way. I dunno if they're ever gonna do events again since the last one before I totally finished with the game was an epilogue kind of thing that leads into DL2, but there's still so much poo poo to do that you can keep yourself busy enough and that's without factoring in the DLCs.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

0 rows returned posted:

if you play any of the dye nfl lights, the first one would be the one to go with

dont play 2 because its awful and a step backward in almost every way

Dl2 is great for parkouring around.
Zombie and story parts weren't that good though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Got a chance to play through a little bit of The Quarry last night, I like it!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

The Chameleon is a stealth action game where you play as a human mimic trying to escape a research factory. It’s more of a 70s tinged comedy horror than actual dread horror, I mean your primary form is Mexican Magnum P.I.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Section Z posted:

Arguably The Darkness 1&2? Depends on who you think you're playing as, anyway.

The executions are pure monstrous brutality too, and you have some weird affinity with black holes which is a bit more sci-fi.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Was browsing Steam Store and apparently a new game dropped into early access on June 8th called Eternal Evil. Apparently story complete, with the early access mainly for the dev to squash bugs that will pop up on computers other than the one they developed on and a plethora of alternative stuff. The game is complete others and at only 15.99 gonna take a stab at it.

It's billed as an old school survival horror fps

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

Prototype and its sequel.

al-azad posted:

The Chameleon is a stealth action game where you play as a human mimic trying to escape a research factory. It’s more of a 70s tinged comedy horror than actual dread horror, I mean your primary form is Mexican Magnum P.I.

tight aspirations posted:

Arguably The Darkness 1&2? Depends on who you think you're playing as, anyway.

The executions are pure monstrous brutality too, and you have some weird affinity with black holes which is a bit more sci-fi.

I guess the fact so many suggestions, or attempts to search for "What if you know you are a mimic, but you play the part of a victim as bait for monsters?" are for games where you are still running around killing tons of humans, is part of why I started wondering about it in the first place.

Though karate kicking a helicopter to death was pretty loving sweet in prototype :allears: And that Chameleon game looks like you are punching a lot of robots to death, even if you are still the victim. So definitely a step closer to the idea.

And No That one cool game with a great shotgun doesn't count. Your nature is meant to be a plot twist. And they even throw you in an incinerator and try again with another mimic if you don't do 'It was all a simulation' right and try to exit early. Even if that game itself is real fun.

Evil Kit posted:

Was browsing Steam Store and apparently a new game dropped into early access on June 8th called Eternal Evil. Apparently story complete, with the early access mainly for the dev to squash bugs that will pop up on computers other than the one they developed on and a plethora of alternative stuff. The game is complete others and at only 15.99 gonna take a stab at it.

It's billed as an old school survival horror fps
Okay so, zombies, ghouls? Nothing you can't handle-

*Sees a screenshot of a Bloody bear eating a body.

Well, gently caress.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 11, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kojima is probably working on a horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I love how these game companies a) treat the development of a new game like a state secret and b) think a takedown request will do anything but confirm a rumor is real.