Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

happyhippy posted:

Does the school have any internal CCTV?
I am surprised we haven't see one killer going from class room to class room yet, even if it was just a still of them walking the corridor.
Can only say only saw the columbine ones, nothing newer.

In several countries, Germany for example, such footage is not shown to the public to avoid giving the perpetrator any attention whatsoever (even posthumously) and to prevent copycats.

In the US, who the gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

imagine there were 0 tapes of 9/11

we could just look at the New York City skyline and confirm it. That was a horrible analogy

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/palsux/status/869594906024660993?t=aJSQKiDFccRRR50xVlEk3Q&s=19

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Remember during the Iraq war when they would not allow photographs of dead soldiers? Same principle, I imagine

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

we could just look at the New York City skyline and confirm it. That was a horrible analogy

yea alright fair enough

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

How is this not an admission of guilt? Is incompetence a defence now???

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

GolfHole posted:

fairly certain that guilt will finish off a good portion of those cops, so don't worry too much

lets just hope they dont take any innocent lives with them if they blow their dishonorable brains out

lol yeah I'm sure the folks who did nothing -while- a bunch of kids were getting slaughtered will feel real bad about it after the fact. part of the mental complex is being incapable of ever admitting that you were wrong. half the country thinks like that and the cream of the cream at thinking like that become cops

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Washington washed his dick, that's why they called him that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

police officers are in no way compelled to put themselves in danger to protect others. They are literally just around to give speeding tickets. They have no other job

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
hassling minorities is a benefit
E: unpaid

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

so he abandons his radio, bumbles around for over an hour trying to figure out which is the right key, and then...nothing? just sat around till everyone got to the scene?

quote:

The chief pinned the blame for the 77-minute span between his arrival at the school and the elimination of Ramos primarily on officers' inability to find the correct key to the door of the classroom in which the shooter had locked himself. Over the course of the attack, he says he was given two different key rings to try.
and he didn't know he was in charge???? did he suddenly forget his rank?

okay whats the real reason there is no way this is what they are going with

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GolfHole posted:

fairly certain that guilt will finish off a good portion of those cops, so don't worry too much

:munch:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

police officers are in no way compelled to put themselves in danger to protect others. They are literally just around to give speeding tickets. They have no other job

OK, I get that, Supreme Court ruling and whatever... but this guy chose to act, if we're believing what he says. There's often a narrative that gets spun when a cop kills an unarmed black guy, "was he following standard operating procedure?" Presumably this is so the dept. can absolve themselves of responsibility by throwing him under the bus, IIRC this happened with Chauvin. Is there not a SOP to use your loving radios? It's the most important piece of tactical gear they carry. You'd think it would be drilled into them to loving use it. To my mind, this pig coming out and saying "I left my radio behind," is an admission of incompetence. Why didn't he just stop at "I was scared for my life," leaving everything to that "well technically they don't have to protect anyone" defence?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

also, why on earth would you want to see one troubled child kill many others?
I don't want to see it, I think the people who are against gun control should see it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The police chief didn't know he was in charge? Isn't that what police chief means?!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Maybe they interviewed the police chef by accident?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mister Speaker posted:

as per SCOTUS cops aren't liable for... hmmm... anything they do

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, I get that, Supreme Court ruling and whatever... but this guy chose to act, if we're believing what he says. There's often a narrative that gets spun when a cop kills an unarmed black guy, "was he following standard operating procedure?" Presumably this is so the dept. can absolve themselves of responsibility by throwing him under the bus, IIRC this happened with Chauvin. Is there not a SOP to use your loving radios? It's the most important piece of tactical gear they carry. You'd think it would be drilled into them to loving use it. To my mind, this pig coming out and saying "I left my radio behind," is an admission of incompetence. Why didn't he just stop at "I was scared for my life," leaving everything to that "well technically they don't have to protect anyone" defence?

Whoa, calm down buddy, were on the same page here. the police are incompetent and useless. A garbageman serves a function, collects your garbage and takes it to a dump or other facility. A sewer worker serves a function, making sure the sewers and other water lines in your county work. What position does the policeman fill? They do nothing to serve or enrich the community.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

also, why on earth would you want to see one troubled child kill many others?

Not the killer, or the act itself, but I would argue seeing the bodies (or even of the victim cowering moments before) would scare/sicken people into doing something.

People have the Hollywood notion of gun violence, like being hit once you insta fall down and insta die.
No squirming on the ground, no blood drained faces, eyes rolling back into the head, screaming, making GBS threads yourself in adrenaline fueled fear deaths.
Showing what an AR15 does to a kids head will shut up more of the gun wavers imo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Whoa, calm down buddy, were on the same page here. the police are incompetent and useless. A garbageman serves a function, collects your garbage and takes it to a dump or other facility. A sewer worker serves a function, making sure the sewers and other water lines in your county work. What position does the policeman fill? They do nothing to serve or enrich the community.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you. We are absolutely on the same page. I guess what I'm confused about is, if the cop is choosing to act (even though according to SCOTUS he has no duty to act), why is he admitting that he acted incompetently? He would have been protected for sitting back and doing nothing, but he's admitting that he stepped in with no radio comms, which seems to me like negligence causing harm. I don't know if I'm articulating this properly at all. Or is this one of those things that's covered under that other SCOTUS thing, 'qualified immunity'?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you. We are absolutely on the same page. I guess what I'm confused about is, if the cop is choosing to act (even though according to SCOTUS he has no duty to act), why is he admitting that he acted incompetently? He would have been protected for sitting back and doing nothing, but he's admitting that he stepped in with no radio comms, which seems to me like negligence causing harm. I don't know if I'm articulating this properly at all. Or is this one of those things that's covered under that other SCOTUS thing, 'qualified immunity'?

What are they gonna do, fire him?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

happyhippy posted:

Not the killer, or the act itself, but I would argue seeing the bodies (or even of the victim cowering moments before) would scare/sicken people into doing something.

People have the Hollywood notion of gun violence, like being hit once you insta fall down and insta die.
No squirming on the ground, no blood drained faces, eyes rolling back into the head, screaming, making GBS threads yourself in adrenaline fueled fear deaths.
Showing what an AR15 does to a kids head will shut up more of the gun wavers imo.

1) I completely understand parents who don't want the lasting image of their poor, innocent, murdered child to be a sensationalized, gory crime scene photo.

2) It won't change those people's minds because they revel in the carnage. They know exactly what these weapons do just like they know exactly what the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for...
:nallears:

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/1534604060321521664?s=20&t=S_XbxxU3ezmBxTdm3t1v4g

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tarquinn posted:

In several countries, Germany for example, such footage is not shown to the public to avoid giving the perpetrator any attention whatsoever (even posthumously) and to prevent copycats.

In the US, who the gently caress knows.

Didn't we have Columbine footage? And that was like 20 years ago.

Away all Goats posted:

The police chief didn't know he was in charge? Isn't that what police chief means?!

Sorry, he thought he was the police chef

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Bill Maher jumping on the Hollywood Violence bandwagon -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebg2YnBj9II

Unless he's trash talking about Trump, Bill is such a piece of poo poo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

2) It won't change those people's minds because they revel in the carnage. They know exactly what these weapons do…
I’m not so sure this is true of a lot of them, but even if some have an idea of it, seeing the reality is different.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

1) I completely understand parents who don't want the lasting image of their poor, innocent, murdered child to be a sensationalized, gory crime scene photo.

2) It won't change those people's minds because they revel in the carnage. They know exactly what these weapons do just like they know exactly what the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for...
:nallears:

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/1534604060321521664?s=20&t=S_XbxxU3ezmBxTdm3t1v4g

The rifle it replaced shot a way larger caliber bullet. All this focus on the AR-15 is really weird to me because it's like... if you ban them then people will just use another gun that shoots the same exacty bullet at the same exact rate to kill people. It feels like "gun control" that doesnt actually attack the real problem, ownership of guns in general, by hyper-fixating on a specific type of gun that is only differentiated by superficial characteristics. Like how the assault weapon ban didnt do poo poo but people could point to it to trick other people into thinking they were doing something for gun control.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Liquid Chicken posted:

surprised he didn't blame it on video games, what with it being the 1990s and people caring what bill maher has to say

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Liquid Chicken posted:

Scratch a liberal, etc., etc.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Liquid Chicken posted:

didnt watch

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Buschmaki posted:

The rifle it replaced shot a way larger caliber bullet.

It's not just about calibre, though. The AR platform was adopted because of its ease of use in general. It's lighter, less cumbersome, the bullets are lighter which means you can carry more of them, and its recoil is more controllable than its predecessor.

quote:

All this focus on the AR-15 is really weird to me because it's like... if you ban them then people will just use another gun that shoots the same exacty bullet at the same exact rate to kill people.

It is maybe a bit misguided to put all the focus on one particular rifle platform, but you have to acknowledge there's something about it that makes it the arm of choice for people looking to murder the most people possible in the shortest amount of time. Maybe it's the ease of use as stated above, maybe it's an aesthetics thing like feeling like you're in No Russian. There is some nuance to things, and here in Canada one of the longest points of contention was exactly what you mention; the Ruger Mini-14 is basically the same thing as an AR15 - one was banned and the other was not. One of them was used to massacre 14 women in Montreal in the 80s, and the other... looks like an AR15. The Mini-14 was finally banned a year or two ago, so we don't really have that argument anymore.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but I find that generally when gun advocates make this argument, the drawn comparison is simply brought up to dilute the discourse and instil lack of confidence in the competence of 'the law'. IMO, the best response to someone genuinely bringing these things up as if it's a legitimate argument against some semblance of gun control is, "Hey good point, we should ban those too."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mister Speaker posted:

It's not just about calibre, though. The AR platform was adopted because of its ease of use in general. It's lighter, less cumbersome, the bullets are lighter which means you can carry more of them, and its recoil is more controllable than its predecessor.

It is maybe a bit misguided to put all the focus on one particular rifle platform, but you have to acknowledge there's something about it that makes it the arm of choice for people looking to murder the most people possible in the shortest amount of time. Maybe it's the ease of use as stated above, maybe it's an aesthetics thing like feeling like you're in No Russian. There is some nuance to things, and here in Canada one of the longest points of contention was exactly what you mention; the Ruger Mini-14 is basically the same thing as an AR15 - one was banned and the other was not. One of them was used to massacre 14 women in Montreal in the 80s, and the other... looks like an AR15. The Mini-14 was finally banned a year or two ago, so we don't really have that argument anymore.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but I find that generally when gun advocates make this argument, the drawn comparison is simply brought up to dilute the discourse and instil lack of confidence in the competence of 'the law'. IMO, the best response to someone genuinely bringing these things up as if it's a legitimate argument against some semblance of gun control is, "Hey good point, we should ban those too."

Yeah I had the mini-14 in my head when I made this post. I think part of the reason ARs are used so much is like, their affordability and maybe even their notoriety, since shining a spotlight on them acts almost like a hosed up marketing thing. And yeah I know a lot of people bring this up as a sorta "Banning the AR15 is misguided so we may as well not ban anything", but I think like, it's much more important to focus gun control on objective measures of the poo poo you're banning like technical specifications and capabilities. If not I feel like it runs the risk of just exhausting all the political will for gun control to ban one specific thing, and then psychos will just use a gun capable of the same thing the next time this happens instead of actual meaningful legislation that actually affects gun ownership and poo poo.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
there be videgames and movies in all the world

yet we do not see mass shootings like in america

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Murdstone posted:

I don't want to see it, I think the people who are against gun control should see it.

the cops already saw it though

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

there be videgames and movies in all the world

yet we do not see mass shootings like in america

sure, but the rest of the world doesn't have that American Ambition™

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry, he thought he was the police chef

Chef literally means chief.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Re: people focus too much on my precious AR!

Ban it. Ban all semi autos. Only allow bolt action rifles, and single action revolvers. Then "hunters" still have something "to feed themselves with", and hobbyists can keep fondling something. And if a malcontent idiot wants to bring one to a school, their scrawny arms would tire out from working the bolt before they can do much damage. It seems failproof to me, nobody can give a good argument why detachable magazines, semi auto fire, etc are necessary in the hands of civilians other than "feral hogs"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mister Speaker posted:

thanks to qualified immunity, if we find out that his incredible incompetence put him at fault, it will then establish a precedent that maybe the next guy who fucks up that badly might get in trouble

but officer hero here of course has qualified immunity because it hasn’t previously been determined to be bad in a court of law and he will get in no trouble

:patriot:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Zefiel posted:

Re: people focus too much on my precious AR!

Ban it. Ban all semi autos. Only allow bolt action rifles, and single action revolvers. Then "hunters" still have something "to feed themselves with", and hobbyists can keep fondling something. And if a malcontent idiot wants to bring one to a school, their scrawny arms would tire out from working the bolt before they can do much damage. It seems failproof to me, nobody can give a good argument why detachable magazines, semi auto fire, etc are necessary in the hands of civilians other than "feral hogs"

but what if I have to kill 15-30 feral hogs to protect my children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
cause you know I aint letting those dirty rear end kids in the house