Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if the USA will ever participate in the baseball World Cup. Probably not because they suck at sports.

e: Oh sorry they have participated; they've just never gotten a single point lmao smhd.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, since "ethnicity" doesn't actually mean anything outside of racism, sure why not.

Would you say you are "colour blind"?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Members of Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española

What is Israel doing there?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Count Roland posted:

What is Israel doing there?

Sephardi Jews, I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah Spain expelled jews in the late medieval and then the arab world expelled jews in response to the Nakba, so most sephardim nowadays are in Israel, France, or the Americas rather than in Iberia. Outside of South America idk how many of those people use spanish at all, but it's not totally ludicrous.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PeppermintFlyBy/status/1535112549825318912

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, since "ethnicity" doesn't actually mean anything outside of racism, sure why not.

In practice, no.

Ethnicity is a useful word for cultural identity, though I mean yeah it can be used in a creepy blood and soil sense by chuds I guess? Still a weird rear end post.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah Spain expelled jews in the late medieval and then the arab world expelled jews in response to the Nakba, so most sephardim nowadays are in Israel, France, or the Americas rather than in Iberia. Outside of South America idk how many of those people use spanish at all, but it's not totally ludicrous.

The missing link in here is the Spanish Jews heavily went to Greece (or what is now Greece). Specifically Thessaloniki.

As to why Greece wouldn't also show up in that map.... well Thessaloniki was part of the German occupation zone in WW2. :smith:

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 11, 2022

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wonder if the USA will ever participate in the baseball World Cup. Probably not because they suck at sports.

e: Oh sorry they have participated; they've just never gotten a single point lmao smhd.

This post got me to look up the baseball world cup because I didn't even know such a thing existed.

I found like four different baseball world cups (Baseball World Cup, Olympic Baseball Cup, World Baseball Classic, WBSC Premier12) but not a single one the US hasn't at least gotten second.

Baseball needs to chill on the number of world championships, especially if there is a mystery fifth tournament that the US has never played in.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who cares about baseball- 56 time world football champs baybee

Wow Brazil, five whole wins in 90 years, that's so cool, psyche, :patriot:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 11, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In practice, no.
Um, what? So you think I'm being some sort of weird racist or something?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In practice, no.

lol this is the social equivalent of saying that money isn't even real

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

ranbo das posted:

This post got me to look up the baseball world cup because I didn't even know such a thing existed.

I found like four different baseball world cups (Baseball World Cup, Olympic Baseball Cup, World Baseball Classic, WBSC Premier12) but not a single one the US hasn't at least gotten second.

Baseball needs to chill on the number of world championships, especially if there is a mystery fifth tournament that the US has never played in.

If a world baseball tournament cup championship thing does not do the dance with Major League Baseball to allow MLB players to participate, then it is not a world baseball tournament cup championship thing. MLB contracts extend into the depths of the minor leagues, and contain not only Estadiounidense but the rest of the players in the Americas worth having (and a good wodge of Asia as well). Might as well run the World Cup without UEFA players.

Natty Ninefingers fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 12, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The Swiss Bermuda triangle is in effect today:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Saladman posted:

The Swiss Bermuda triangle is in effect today:

What's happening? ATC strike?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What's happening? ATC strike?

ATC computer failure: https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220615-switzerland-closes-airspace-after-computer-failure-air-traffic-controller

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Huh, my first guess was Austrian invasion.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Huh, my first guess was Austrian invasion.

Nah, Liechtenstein orchestrated coup.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The whisky war is over!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thank god a modern-day Metternich finally emerged to sort this one out, "gently caress let's just half-and-half the tiny uninhabited island, peace in our time!" Pouring one out for the world's most wholesome territorial dispute

:canada::hf::denmark:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

lol that it was even naturally split in half and they were still arguing about it for decades

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lol that it was even naturally split in half and they were still arguing about it for decades

Canada is slightly less big now and you’re laughing. You’re laughing

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Canada is slightly less big now and you’re laughing. You’re laughing

I've been to alberta and personally think Canada could afford to lose some featureless land.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could reduce Canada by 85% without losing more than 5% of the population.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah I dunno if that diplomats message is really coming across the way he thinks it is.

From now on whenever anyone talks about the land border in Canada I can say “which one?”

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This also makes “what two countries share the shortest land border in North America” a good trivia question.

Though I haven’t checked, maybe there’s a shorter one?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Ahh, the political maps classic:
According to the information available, none of the officials involved in the negotiations have visited Hans Island

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

VictualSquid posted:

Ahh, the political maps classic:
According to the information available, none of the officials involved in the negotiations have visited Hans Island

drat imperialists just drawing lines on maps without consulting the local penguin population

there is still a tim hortons further north than this, so Canada obv has the best claim

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...4!4d-62.3461246

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Only three men in the world have ever really understood the Hans Island business

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I tried to draw Europe from memory and failed miserably

Square Europe with silly proportions and for some reason North African fjords

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, it's lucky that Canada didn't forcibly resettle people to the island to solve the issue like they did with the north pole.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

The EU's dick and balls are somehow combined with Norway and the Kola peninsula to become a pteranadon coming for Denmark. Northern Ireland has sunk to ensure peace. Australia has moved into the southern Mediterranean because it really needs to feel like a true eurovision member.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Honestly, it's good enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scandinavia is the head of a pterosaur biting off Jutland.

Baltic Sea is Rorschach blot № 7.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FishBulbia posted:

drat imperialists just drawing lines on maps without consulting the local penguin population

there is still a tim hortons further north than this, so Canada obv has the best claim

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

That looks pretty OK for a map drawn by hand on a napkin from memory in under 5 minutes? Probably more detail than like 98% of Europeans if you asked them to do it on the spot. The only glaring "wtf" issue I see is that you seem to have massively overcorrected the exaggerated largeness of Greenland on normal maps to make it exaggeratedly tiny.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

That looks pretty OK for a map drawn by hand on a napkin from memory in under 5 minutes? Probably more detail than like 98% of Europeans if you asked them to do it on the spot. The only glaring "wtf" issue I see is that you seem to have massively overcorrected the exaggerated largeness of Greenland on normal maps to make it exaggeratedly tiny.
Yeah, you have to adjust for Europe also normally being exaggereted.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Finding maps like these was surprisingly difficult considering the sheer number of mil/gun nerds out there. They claim to depict main service rifle cartridge type.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Reveilled posted:

This also makes “what two countries share the shortest land border in North America” a good trivia question.

Though I haven’t checked, maybe there’s a shorter one?

The shortest in both Americas, even. According to wikipedia at least it's only beaten by Botswana-Zambia (155m) and Spain-UK (1.22km at Gibraltar, just beating it by 40 metres). Also possibly Macau but that doesn't seem like it'll be claiming independence any time soon from my surface-level google search of Macau's relationship with china

e: also a tiny area between Sri Lanka and India which may or may not have land in it at the point where the border is

Angepain fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FishBulbia posted:

Why is there an embassy there?!?