Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's made by Bacardi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked it up and it looks like there are two. The original and one made by bacardi to profit off the originals name. Or maybe it's the reverse.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It's both. The original Bacardi was in Cuba, the owners fled the revolution, Cuba took over the distillery and started making Havana Club with it, the Bacardis kept the Bacardi name and made rum elsewhere, then Havana Club had such a good rep that apparently Bacardi started calling some of their rum Havana Club.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of rum and thus tropical/tiki drinks and the insanity of getting into that genre of cocktails(which appropriate to my handle, I'm dabbling in).

I 've never had a Singapore Sling, and no place nearby makes one. Is buying the D.O.M. and the cherry heering worth it to try out? I wish they made them in smaller proportions/more available.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Singapore Sling good. Tiki good. Do the tropical thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Quixotic1 posted:

Speaking of rum and thus tropical/tiki drinks and the insanity of getting into that genre of cocktails(which appropriate to my handle, I'm dabbling in).

I 've never had a Singapore Sling, and no place nearby makes one. Is buying the D.O.M. and the cherry heering worth it to try out? I wish they made them in smaller proportions/more available.

I think it's a pretty good drink although whether or not it's worth spending $50-100 to make is kind of iffy. Benedictine and Cherry Heering aren't super common cocktail ingredients but they're both used in a decent amount of recipes so you can definitely find a few more to make besides just Singapore Slings.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A singapore sling is a fun and tasty drink, but if you’re getting into tropical stuff, that heering is going to be pretty limited in utility and I would suggest considering something else.

Outside of the various styles of rum, I think you’d be better served by looking into, in rough order of utility:

-Orange liqueur
-Orgeat (easy to make at home, though I prefer some of the store brands)
-Absinthe
-Velvet Falernum (you could make this yourself)
-Allspice Dram (same)
-Maraschino liqueur

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else tried the Brucato Amaro? I just got the Chaparral and think it's pretty amazing, pretty similar to Chartreuse, but less sweet? Mainly neat so far, but could be quite fun in some cocktails.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Benedictine is tasty on its own too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can also find $20 375 ml bottle of Dom Benedictine.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

This is the move, because its shelf life isn’t indefinite. My partner really enjoys Benedictine in almost any application, and I’ve found that it makes some $30 whiskeys taste more like $60 bottles, making an exception for the obvious addition of sugar.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody ever worked with licorice root? Apparently a large amount of it can lower your potassium and raise your blood pressure. cocktailsafe.org has some info. I guess just "keep it low" like using cinchona bark?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is the move, because its shelf life isn’t indefinite.

Really? It's 40% alcohol.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that sent me on a wtf spree, and the sources I found all say it's shelf-stable forever.

Benedict is apparently a fortified wine that will eventually spoil though, but that's a different thing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Waltzing Along posted:

& if you’re not wild about it in mixed drinks, try mixing it 50/50 with brandy for a B&B, which slaps (esp. as a highball).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh word? That’s cool then.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody ever worked with licorice root? Apparently a large amount of it can lower your potassium and raise your blood pressure. cocktailsafe.org has some info. I guess just "keep it low" like using cinchona bark?

What’s your use case for the root? There are a bunch of other foods that have the same flavors and are safer to extract in a relatively uncontrolled setting (either your bar or home).

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Just to fill out a complex anise note.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Just to fill out a complex anise note.

Fennel, star anise, Thai basil, tarragon.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

B&B is my favorite highball and you can buy it premixed or mix your own in large quantities, owns bones

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I like highballs and drink a fair amount of them and I like B&Bs and have one every couple years, but I’ve never thought about turning a B&B into a highball. Do you garnish with anything or no?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

B&B is my favorite highball and you can buy it premixed or mix your own in large quantities, owns bones

:cheersbird:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scythe posted:

I like highballs and drink a fair amount of them and I like B&Bs and have one every couple years, but I’ve never thought about turning a B&B into a highball. Do you garnish with anything or no?

I don't. If I'm feeling saucy it's B&B on the rocks. If it's hot outside or I want something lighter in goes the soda water!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't. If I'm feeling saucy it's B&B on the rocks. If it's hot outside or I want something lighter in goes the soda water!

A lemon twist is a nice add, as is using sparkling mineral water instead of straight soda, which would have been the way to drink it in the late 19th/early 20th C

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I really should say I'm inadvertently too deep in tiki i should say. MOSTLY Due to the usual curse of expressing you like something off hand (me saying i liked the drinks I had at Trader Sam's at Disney) and suddenly that's all you get gifted, I have:

Rums:
Smith and cross
Apple estates signature blend
Flor de Cana 7 year
Siesta key spiced rum
Plantation O.F.T.D
Plantation Pineapple
Bacardi Superior
Blackwell black rum
Barbancourt Pango Rhum

Midori
Wild Turkey Rye 101
Hendricks Gin
Cointreau
Grand Marnier
Rumchata
Orange bitters
Angostura bitters
Orgeat
Falernum
Grenadine
Grassl Torino Sweet vermouth
Peach liquor

Mixel app says i can make 197 cocktails O.o

Would the Hendricks be alright if i do go and make the Sling drink, or would that make the drink radically different.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That’s fine. It has a cucumber note in it but you’re not gonna discern that over the Heering and fruit juice.

I’m jealous of your gifts.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Tiki Question: how much of a difference does the pot still black rum make in a Jungle Bird? Because I made it the other day with regular 'ole dark rum and it was mighty delicious, very different flavor profile from most other tiki drinks I've had.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It's worth trying! Look for something like Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum (Ham Jam, as we called it at my old place). It's a fun bottle to have around, even beyond its usefulness in a Jungle Bird.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

Tiki Question: how much of a difference does the pot still black rum make in a Jungle Bird? Because I made it the other day with regular 'ole dark rum and it was mighty delicious, very different flavor profile from most other tiki drinks I've had.

Nothing wrong with subbing different rums! Jamaican rums, especially the dark pot still rums, typically have a lot of "funk". Which is a flavor I can't really explain but you'll know it once you try a couple. So it probably makes a pretty appreciable difference but like I said there's nothing wrong with experimenting with different rums to see how a drink turns out. Even between two rums/liquors of the very same category you can often taste a noticeable difference in a cocktail. The point at which you start making something that's a different drink entirely because of substitutions is a bit subjective/controversial.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

"funk". Which is a flavor I can't really explain but you'll know it once you try a couple.

I've always described it as "your brain tries to instantly set off 'don't drink this or you'll die!' alarms"

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The funk is known as “hogo”

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've always described it as "your brain tries to instantly set off 'don't drink this or you'll die!' alarms"

Oh you mean like Jose Cuervo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Going wild on syrups and liqueurs today. Ironically I originally embarked in this exploit intending to make creme de mûre, but I forgot to buy wine. I’m also planning to make a corn and oil milk punch for my partner’s birthday trip, so I wanted to make some falernum. It’s easy to do a bunch once you’ve gotten rolling though, so now I’ve got (in process:)

Limoncello
Creme de menthe
Falernum
Allspice dram
Ginger syrup
Cinnamon syrup

With creme de mûre and creme de cacao to probably follow next month.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Last night I had the most wonderful rum old fashioned that used a banana oleosacharrum as a base. I didn't think you could do that with bananas, but here we are. Delicious.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Regular dark rum is going to be closer in style to the Blackstrap rum that's usually called for in a jungle bird, so it makes sense. The hamilton pot still black isn't really a Black strap and it wouldn't be the first thing I reach for to sub in for it. Dark rum, "pot still black" and Blackstrap are all fairly distinct rums

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Fart Car '97 posted:

Regular dark rum is going to be closer in style to the Blackstrap rum that's usually called for in a jungle bird, so it makes sense. The hamilton pot still black isn't really a Black strap and it wouldn't be the first thing I reach for to sub in for it. Dark rum, "pot still black" and Blackstrap are all fairly distinct rums
That's what I love about Rum. I went to a rum tasting party pre-COVID and we had like 20 or so rums there and the enormous variety of flavors really changed my outlook on the stuff. I think at this point it's my favorite spirit. Appleton Estate is my go to for basic dark rum, but I'm currently trying out a bottle of Havana Club because I was on a bit of a budget and it's got a nice flavor to it as well.

Unrelated, I finally got my hands on some Dolin. :holymoley: that stuff is excellent. I can see now why folks swear by it. I put it in a Negroni today and it completely changed my outlook on the drink.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 11, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Last night I had the most wonderful rum old fashioned that used a banana oleosacharrum as a base. I didn't think you could do that with bananas, but here we are. Delicious.

Woah. I’ve had a banana cocktail before that I couldn’t figure out how they packed so much flavor into without a banana liqueur of any kind, and you may have just cracked the case.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
was that made like any old Oleosacchrum, or is there some other trick to making it from bananas?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

was that made like any old Oleosacchrum, or is there some other trick to making it from bananas?

Barman said it was just like any other. First batch he said he added water because he thought there wouldn't be enough liquid, but that was a poor choice. Second batch normal recipe but with banana, worked a treat. Really tasted nice. Rum was a five rum blend they do at the bar, with a coconut water ice cube and orange peel/cherry garnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Strange Matter posted:

That's what I love about Rum. I went to a rum tasting party pre-COVID and we had like 20 or so rums there and the enormous variety of flavors really changed my outlook on the stuff. I think at this point it's my favorite spirit. Appleton Estate is my go to for basic dark rum, but I'm currently trying out a bottle of Havana Club because I was on a bit of a budget and it's got a nice flavor to it as well.

Unrelated, I finally got my hands on some Dolin. :holymoley: that stuff is excellent. I can see now why folks swear by it. I put it in a Negroni today and it completely changed my outlook on the drink.

Dolin sweet vermouth? Huh I only ever use it for dry, and stick to Italian reds.