Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Ok, two problems:
1, the dead leaf blocks on the preplaced dead trees don't decay.
2, if you place the Pure Daisy directly into the floor of the tree room so it converts blocks into dirt, and leave it there to convert those new dirt blocks into grass, it won't work. The pure daisy pops the dirt into... more dirt, which then never grows grass on it if you leave it be. It seems only dirt I place myself is converted properly into grass by the flower, but the dirt blocks resulting from the first conversion do allow grass to spread onto it. A metadata problem, maybe? I wish I had more than one pure daisy to start with, to speed along creation of dirt. The dead wood conversion is less important since dead saplings grow oak wood.

edit: wait, what? I misunderstood whatever's going on in #2.

The two 3x3 areas (that one block sticking out is fine) of dirt blocks just... won't allow grass on them, even if I replace the dirt with fresh blocks.

Ah, well gently caress. Another AdvRocketry jank I hoped the smaller room sizes would fix. So.. the calculation method of sealing rooms can be fucky for reasons I don't know. One consequence of this is random blocks can be left considered 'unsealed'. The causes for this are also inconsistent, which is fun. Best advice I can give is try exiting the game fully and running it again, break and replace the oxygen sealer and hope that fixes it, or place sealable blocks over where the grass won't grow and then break them.

Guess I better add that to the known issues if it's popping up again :negative:

And don't worry you'll be making your own pure daisys soon, before you need to do any Botania stuff anyway :P

(Also yes, funnily enough you can't 'grow' dead trees so they and the leaf blocks had to be placed by hand :P)

Also it turns out that there is no possible way of adding Galacticraft's atmospheric system to an Advanced Rocketry dimension due to the way it is coded as a part of a dimension's initialisation, which would necessarily include things like Galacticraft's handling of gravity and the skybox. AR is coded in a different way, and is designed to be able to add its atmosphere system to arbitrary dimensions. It's an extremely frustrating situation all around.

Oh by the way, a couple of tips I'll give is that you can use a relatively newish feature of IE to connect powerlines across sealed rooms. By placing an LV Wire Connector on both sides of a block, and then right clicking one of them with a hammer, it'll make a passthrough. So you can have a solar panel upstairs while powering things in the arboretum if you wanna do your stuff there for example. And once you get iron and can make a bucket, a water bucket plus 8 Dried Sand will turn it into regular sand, giving you a use for all the stuff in broken rooms.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

OgNar posted:

New Ad shows off a little of the Create mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMfF9TYETM

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java---bedrock-edition-pc-out-june-7
"JAVA & BEDROCK EDITION FOR PC IS OUT ON JUNE 7
No more picking and choosing, Java and Bedrock will be sold together!"

"To be clear, Java and Bedrock will remain separate games with their own distinctive features."

I wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end for Java edition. Now that everyone on Java has Bedrock, it'll be easier to shuffle people over. If they could release a nice API for Bedrock it'd be hard not to move.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
saw this modpack on reddit, looks neat - supposedly a newer take on E2E/sevtech: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/decursio-project

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Ah, well gently caress. Another AdvRocketry jank I hoped the smaller room sizes would fix. So.. the calculation method of sealing rooms can be fucky for reasons I don't know. One consequence of this is random blocks can be left considered 'unsealed'. The causes for this are also inconsistent, which is fun. Best advice I can give is try exiting the game fully and running it again, break and replace the oxygen sealer and hope that fixes it, or place sealable blocks over where the grass won't grow and then break them.

Guess I better add that to the known issues if it's popping up again :negative:

And don't worry you'll be making your own pure daisys soon, before you need to do any Botania stuff anyway :P

(Also yes, funnily enough you can't 'grow' dead trees so they and the leaf blocks had to be placed by hand :P)

Also it turns out that there is no possible way of adding Galacticraft's atmospheric system to an Advanced Rocketry dimension due to the way it is coded as a part of a dimension's initialisation, which would necessarily include things like Galacticraft's handling of gravity and the skybox. AR is coded in a different way, and is designed to be able to add its atmosphere system to arbitrary dimensions. It's an extremely frustrating situation all around.

Oh by the way, a couple of tips I'll give is that you can use a relatively newish feature of IE to connect powerlines across sealed rooms. By placing an LV Wire Connector on both sides of a block, and then right clicking one of them with a hammer, it'll make a passthrough. So you can have a solar panel upstairs while powering things in the arboretum if you wanna do your stuff there for example. And once you get iron and can make a bucket, a water bucket plus 8 Dried Sand will turn it into regular sand, giving you a use for all the stuff in broken rooms.

The dead saplings grow dead leaves, so you could make that room by growing the saplings then replacing the oak wood blocks with dead wood.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I tried this, the problem is that when exposed to vacuum naturally-grown leaves are forced to decay, even the BoP dead leaves.

:toot:

Edit: oops. I did something again and forgot to update the quest book for it, so I'll just give the solution here. In order to get the initial obsidian for making gold seeds, so you can make redstone seeds, so you can make obsidian seeds, you'll need to get the Omnitool from the shed thing outside the hangar, and make a Charger to power it. Just try not to turn all the lava into obsidian.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Hey Black Pants, I am maybe missing something, is there a way to get more dead wood? coal seeds call for it but I turned all of mine into regular wood before knowing that.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Hey Black Pants, I am maybe missing something, is there a way to get more dead wood? coal seeds call for it but I turned all of mine into regular wood before knowing that.

Dome upstairs has more. Unless you used all that too. That was kind of the contingency in case someone did that with all the trees in the arboretum.

Good work. But yeah, I can work something out.

The reason it has dead wood is because when I was coming up with the recipes I thought that I'd use stuff from the environment for each of them btw, in case anyone was wondering. I could use a dead sapling instead actually...
VVVV

Oh also I'm curious, for people who are playing this, how does the rotation/orbit of the station feel to you?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 11, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

Dome upstairs has more. Unless you used all that too. That was kind of the contingency in case someone did that with all the trees in the arboretum.

guess what my dumbass did.
It's chill, I'll just cheat some in trading for normal wood, maybe an emergency repeatable quest to do so might help idiots like myself.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in years, the last time was when Technic was a big thing and I played a lot of that with my buddies. We're thinking of starting again, but I loaded up a random modpack using the loader that seems to be the popular one now and was pretty put off by achievements popping up constantly and some really out of place looking monsters and buildings.

What would be the pack to use if I want a mostly vanilla-ish Minecraft experience, with maybe a few updates (minimap ain't so bad) and some technical stuff like generators, electricity, etc? Some bonus explorable worlds like the Nether to explore would also be cool, I just don't want to be super overwhelmed by an unrecognizable experience right from the start.

As has been said you're probably best off building and sharing a modpack yourself. If you're looking for interesting but not overwhelming technical stuff, Buildcraft and Industrialcraft have pretty much been supplanted by things like Thermal Expansion, Immersive Engineering, Create, or if you're into the more intense resource grind, Mekanism. I wouldn't recommend pairing almost any of these unless you want to do some serious work manually balancing recipes, as they each have very different ideas for how ore processing and increased yields should work.

Create is great if you want to get into building huge involved Rube Goldberg devices and stuff like hand-crafted elevators run by directly transferring kinetic energy along rotating bars. Also adds a couple redstone-related tools and has great 'secret base' applications. IE is a more conventional industrial focus with emphasis on storing and transferring generated power by running powerlines everywhere. The garden cloches are fun to have if you're sick of waiting for stuff to actually grow. TE and Mekanism are both mostly a series of boxed, upgradeable machines that generate and run on energy to crush ores to increase yield, do smelting and alloying, etc., though Mekanism scales up to a much more ridiculous ceiling and offers some fancier functions in return.

You'll also probably want a storage mod, which for my money Refined Storage (with Refined Storage Addons) is probably the best bang for your buck. Storage Drawers is a nice simple option too.

Supplementaries is just nice to have in general for decorative and somewhat practical additions (like directional signs you can attach to a fencepost).

As for bonus explorable worlds, the only one I can think of off the top of my head with recent version compatibility is DimensionalDoors... although that apparently uses Fabric instead of Forge now, and you can't combine the two. MystCraft and AbyssalCraft are both still stuck all the way back on good ol' 1.12.2. So yeah, limited options.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 11, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Strated Rustic Waters 2 is fantastic so far, I like how it actually used loot and dungeons reasonably well and isn't afraid to let you loot sequence breaking stuff if you try hard enough.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

MystCraft and AbyssalCraft are both still stuck all the way back on good ol' 1.12.2. So yeah, limited options.

nothing about abyssalcraft is a 'bonus' anything or 'good'

we can leave that one in the dirt, forever

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patware posted:

Eh, I think people gave abyssalcraft too hard of a time. The problem with it isn't even the mod author's fault -- it's sevtech's fault for making it so you have to whittle down abyssalcraft's damage sponges with literal sticks and rocks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patware posted:

I enjoyed abyssalcraft when it was early game in sevtech. I didn't realize at first that it washeavily modified so you can imagine my surprise when I threw it into a small pack while testing things out and it turned out to have endgame scaling and generally not be very fun at all.

Mystcraft sadly got kind of replaced with RFTools, which I love RF Tools, but I felt was different enough that they both could coexist in the realm of modded minecraft. Still, Mystcraft is super old at this point. 1.12's version was last updated two years ago which was when 1.16 came out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, I think people gave abyssalcraft too hard of a time. The problem with it isn't even the mod author's fault -- it's sevtech's fault for making it so you have to whittle down abyssalcraft's damage sponges with literal sticks and rocks.

even aside from the insane balance and the worldfucking all the other zones you go to just look outright hideous

it was fun to detonate its omegabomb out in the middle of nowhere though with friends

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Doing Abyssal in PO3 was fun enough because by that point you had jetpacks and massively over enchanted gear and weapons that let you blow through them like a vengeful god.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I only just noticed something.

Has... has nobody yet ported Uppers to Fabric??

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ugh, they changed GT: New Horizons large boilers to only use regular coal coke instead of compressed. It eats each one in 4 seconds!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh, they changed GT: New Horizons large boilers to only use regular coal coke instead of compressed. It eats each one in 4 seconds!

Not that it's what you wanted to hear, but large boilers (really, any steam setup not from a Large Heat Exchanger past LV) are a giant noob trap. Steam's energy density is poor and the pipe throughput needed to actually realize the power is nonexistent. I recommend you move towards oil and light fuel. Even the most conservative LV light fuel setup yields 10 amps of LV power. For reference, that's enough to run two introductory EBFs full time with leftover power for running a machine stack.

Made with GTNH Flow. Ignore the numbers in parenthesis before the name of each machine, they are an internal ID used for debugging.

Plus, it has an easy upgrade to diesel in MV.

This is just barely enough throughput to run an EV EBF, all with MV technology. By the time you can actually deliver EV voltage to an EBF, you can execute the third upgrade to cetane-boosted diesel. There's even a fourth upgrade to High Octane Gasoline, but going whole HOG is quite a bit more complex, plus nukes open up in EV and they are way easier.

CBD:

Riding high on the HOG:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

All about fossil fuels

This is what I did when I played GTNH up to early EV and it is an extremely good idea. Not emphasized enough is that having an oil setup also makes it extremely easy to tap off bits for oil byproducts like plastics, epoxy, and such, which you want a lot of, as well as certain acids. Going with oil-diesel-CBD for LV to HV seemed like such an obvious choice I was surprised the game kept gating things as if I was making biodiesel for some reason.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BlondRobin posted:

This is what I did when I played GTNH up to early EV and it is an extremely good idea. Not emphasized enough is that having an oil setup also makes it extremely easy to tap off bits for oil byproducts like plastics, epoxy, and such, which you want a lot of, as well as certain acids. Going with oil-diesel-CBD for LV to HV seemed like such an obvious choice I was surprised the game kept gating things as if I was making biodiesel for some reason.

Exactly. I don't model it in that CBD flowchart, but the cracked naphtha to ethylene step should really be done in a full height distillation tower. That way you get the benzene (misc orgochem), toluene (ITNT, THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT), propene (epoxid), ethylene (PET, also like a full third of all orgochem), methane (teflon, hydrogen), butadiene (synthetic rubber), and other less useful fractions. Just about the only thing you DON'T get is premade phenol, which is a perk from distilling wood tar.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hey, who remembers Nuts & Bolts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVyjHSLGyQY

:stare:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like it's been forever since mods did this kind of thing and it looks just as janky as the Create trains lmao. Bring it on!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The old airship/ship mod where it converted big groups of blocks into vehicles worked really well most of the time. It just had a tendency to desync in multiplayer and corrupt chunks. Fun to see if they've been able to fix that problem.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

President Ark posted:

saw this modpack on reddit, looks neat - supposedly a newer take on E2E/sevtech: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/decursio-project

Had me at sevtech lost me at "like E2E"

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I have been dying for a Skies of Arcadia themed mod forever. Even just to build Final Fantasy Style Airships to putter around in, especially if I can put processing machinery on them.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress YEAH!

Airships!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I need airships, the older mods like it used to wreck severs with non standard blocks, but I'm willing to risk it again.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My wife and I once used the airships mod + the quarry mod + ae2/thaumcraft/botania to fly around the world mining enormous holes into the deep ocean, using golems fishing cooked fish into gourmealysis that used mana to generate RF while we stripmined the world. It was really fun, but the server exploded about 2 weeks after the airship came online, as you'd expect.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

but the server exploded about 2 weeks after the airship came online, as you'd expect.

The big killer if it was the one where you could make customs was if you had a ship that crossed chunk boundaries - which was most of the ones worth actually building. If it went from an entity back to blocks over multiple chunks as it was generating from, say, going too fast then it would usually corrupt it and kick you out. Had to be super careful

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Ive never played modded minecraft before but skyblock really intrigues me. What’s the best version for me to get started on?

I currently run fabric/iris for shaders as my only mods on java edition.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

walruscat posted:

Ive never played modded minecraft before but skyblock really intrigues me. What’s the best version for me to get started on?

I currently run fabric/iris for shaders as my only mods on java edition.

There's far too many skyblock packs to choose from without knowing what you're looking to get out of the pack. Browsing the entire skyblock category on curse might help.

For a more specific suggestion: Project Ozone 3 is one of my favourites and has a fantastic mix of magic and tech all woven together pretty well, especially on the 'harder' difficulties. You do visit non-skyblock locations for progression/resources. Has a bunch of quest book stuff that will work you through most of the major mods but will require wiki diving for others. Not the most new-to-modded friendly modpack.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I liked Modern Skyblock 3 and Enigmatica 2 Expert: Skyblock both of which I thought had pretty great questbooks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
are there any good resources on there on putting modpacks together and editing recipes to work together seamlessly? I keep finding packs that almost have everything I want in them, and I'd like to just start putting something together that I like rather than make do.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A program where you add in a ton of mods with searchable recipes that you can change.
If there are 4 Tins it would let you choose which one was the main and only that one would spawn.
Being able to disable mod added mobs like tiny skeletons.
And would let you export out to a modpack.

One can dream

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I decided to bite the bullet and just make my own pack of mods. Is there an easy guide somewhere to doing this, and will I have to talk all my friends into downloading a launcher, or is it possible to just send everyone a .rar with all the mods they need and use the default minecraft launcher?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and just make my own pack of mods. Is there an easy guide somewhere to doing this, and will I have to talk all my friends into downloading a launcher, or is it possible to just send everyone a .rar with all the mods they need and use the default minecraft launcher?

So the steps here would be something like:

1. Get an instance manager (overwolf, gdlauncher, multimc, polymc, etc)
2. Learn to set up an instance of minecraft with a specific forge version. This should be super easy in all managers and you should be fine with just picking the recommended versions to start with. This will create an instance folder that stores all your minecraft saves and various other stuff, including a mod folder.
3. Go hog wild downloading mods and put them in the mod folder.
4. Once you're happy, try to actually start the drat thing. You will probably run into a few errors here, usually version conflicts or missing dependencies. You will rarely get an error for an incompatible forge version, luckily it is pretty easy to switch with most instance managers I've used.
5. Pack up all the mod files into a .zip or .rar or whatever.
6. Walk your friends through step 1 and 2 and throw the rar file at them to unzip into the mod folder. You can also give them the installer for the right forge version and skip the instance manager entirely. I would still recommend using one for setting up a modpack in case of version conflict errors and figuring out which mods are causing problems.

I haven't tried fabric yet, but I assume the steps should be basically identical.

Impermanent posted:

are there any good resources on there on putting modpacks together and editing recipes to work together seamlessly? I keep finding packs that almost have everything I want in them, and I'd like to just start putting something together that I like rather than make do.

I believe the modern way to do this is kubejs and it's tutorials. You can write scripts that adds and removes custom recipes as well as add tags to stuff (really good for chisel and bits!!). There's also a script floating around on reddit for unifying ores, it won't stop 4 variations of copper spawning but it'll at least make them all drop as the same thing. FWIW I exclusively play custom modpacks and needing to fix recipes is actually pretty rare. There is also this one that will give you an option to choose what you craft if two things have the same recipe.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/polymorph

Xun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 15, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does anyone have any good skyblocks they'd recommend from the last 2 years or so? Modern Skyblock, E2E, and Project Ozone are good, but not exactly new at this point.
Similar but separate question: Is Nomifactory playable in skyblock mode? I know it was intended but not really fleshed out, because you had to get clay and the like from your surroundings early on. Have they overcome that or do you still need worldgen on?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If this pack is going to be more than 3-4 people I really wouldn't recommend manually distributing it. That can lead to all kinds of issues and eventually you'll want to tweak or add or remove something and you'll have to go through the whole process again. Better to use a system that is built to do that.

That said, with curseforge sucking rear end recently I'm not sure what the best choice is.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Vib Rib posted:

Does anyone have any good skyblocks they'd recommend from the last 2 years or so? Modern Skyblock, E2E, and Project Ozone are good, but not exactly new at this point.
Similar but separate question: Is Nomifactory playable in skyblock mode? I know it was intended but not really fleshed out, because you had to get clay and the like from your surroundings early on. Have they overcome that or do you still need worldgen on?

I liked Sky Bees. Wouldn't play it again because I hate singularity endgames, but it offers some cool automation challenges. I had never used Modular Routers before, that mod is super fun to tinker with.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean, once the initial setup is done it should be easy to hand out a new .rar file when you want to make a change. Hell sometimes I just send a .jar file directly through discord :v: Although I don't usually play with more than 3-4 people so ymmv.