Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

Best time tracking app? I'd like to track how much time I spend doing certain things (ie, practicing a skill, or wasting time watching Youtube) and having an app that I can just set up bunch of tasks/events (maybe categorised into things like Work, Hobbies, etc) and just be able to slam a start + stop widget for each thing as I'm doing it would be nice. Bonus points if it's something I can share across my phone and desktop to reduce the resistance to using it. I don't mind throwing some Google bucks at it, I stopped answering those surveys a long time ago but I've still got some cash to burn in it.

There's Jiffy, which allows you to start/stop tracking for a specific task by touching an NFC tag.
You don't have to buy their branded ones if you have some others lying around. It does have widgets as well, if you prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there an alternative to using the native Microsoft Teams app?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there an alternative to using the native Microsoft Teams app?

Not that I'm aware of. If you have to use Teams, you have to use the app.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

5er posted:

Toast Museum too; are there scanners you advocate? I appreciate the recommendations so far!

Sorry, my experience has been with USB scanners connected to PCs, so not directly applicable to what you're going for. No idea if this particular model is any good, but it's the sort of thing I was talking about when I mentioned Android devices with integrated barcode scanners. Some models have either fixed or removable pistol grips, which is handy when you're doing a lot of scanning. Others have physical keyboards, which I'd guess is meant for use cases where you're likely to be wearing gloves.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm using a Mate SE temporarily while I wait for the Pixel 5 that's replacing my EDL mode'd Pixel 3, and... oh man I miss having a multicolor notification LED!

It looks like the "Holey Light" app might accomplish this alongside regular AOD. Anyone have firsthand experience with it?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's the best app for tracking workouts nowadays?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used Strong when I was going to the gym pre-covid. Very happy with the free version and me not being an intense body builder.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.strongapp.strong

Strava is my go-to for biking. It also covers running (which I hate doing).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava

Otherwise use Google Fit, which kinda sucks!

I also used the Fitbit app when I had one. Then I got a Garmin and used the Garmin app, which I didn't like as much.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks, I'll check out Strong. I'm just doing body weight exercises, but from the store description I should be able to add anything I do just fine.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have continued to use FitNotes for years, and it works great for strength training purposes. I can't say how it compares to other apps these days, but I've never found it lacking.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything that'll take GPS readings every so often, and draw a 'snail trail' over a map from the results? I'll be taking an overnight train journey later this year, and it'd be interesting to retrace the route I took. I understand that this is a feature of the Google Maps timeline, but I'd rather use something I can consciously flick on and off, that's divorced from Google's ecosystem and privacy settings mess.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use OSMAnd for hiking and that's got a logging interval. Max on that is 5 min gaps which might work for you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I've used GPSLogger from Mendhak/gpslogger.app. It has quite a lot off options and logging format.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use GPSLogger and also USTopomaps. Both are great.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions - GPSLogger seems ideal.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Is there a good app for improving at poker? There are loads of dreadful free apps that pretty much just explain the absolute basics; I would like something where I can play an actual game and have suggestions about what I should do and - preferably - why. Not sure if such a thing exists.

Also is there a good offline dominoes app with no ads? I'm happy to pay if it means no ads.

Thanks in advance!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How are 3rd party Twitter client these days? I remember them being flaky because Twitter is hostile to developers using the API that way

The official app is pissing me off with jittery scrolling and what feels like memory leaks, which haven't been resolved after a long time

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

repiv posted:

How are 3rd party Twitter client these days? I remember them being flaky because Twitter is hostile to developers using the API that way

The official app is pissing me off with jittery scrolling and what feels like memory leaks, which haven't been resolved after a long time

Flamingo is still working pretty well for me, although I think adding a security key to my Twitter account broke something because the one time I've tried to send a tweet since I did that didn't work. Also polls don't work, but I don't think that's unique to Flamingo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flamingo here too but can you still get it as a new user? E: oh guess that's not a thing any more

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah the state of third-party Twitter apps is that they solve most but not all of the problems that people characterize as inherent to the bird site but are mostly just because Twitter incentives antisocial behavior -- but if you don't already have one you probably can't get one because of the API key limits.

If you can reduce Twitter to just a chronological list of things posted by people you intentionally follow it's mostly fine.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Twidere X works pretty well for me. The only real downside for me is the search is pretty poo poo, but I have the official client installed for push notifications so I search on there.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Sorry to jump in and ask beginner questions, but I trust goon recommendations far more than Google results for "top Android xxxxx apps" and the OP is 2 years out of date..

As mainly an iOS user I'm pretty out of touch with the Android world. I've just got an Ayn Odin gaming handheld (running Android 10) and while I've got the gaming side covered, I'm looking for apps for:
  • A better file browser than stock (e.g. being able to bookmark common locations)
  • A text file viewer/editor, or could be integrated into the above
  • An SSH server
  • An FTP server or way to wirelessly copy files from a Mac (or could make do with SCP given an SSH server)
  • Anything else that's likely to be useful and I've overlooked?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Solid explorer can probably cover most of that

Do you mean an SSH client? I've always been happy with juice ssh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Solid Explorer will do basically all of that. SimpleSSHD worked just fine for me previously - dunno if you can SCP but Solid Explorer has a FTP server anyway.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I've always used File Manager+ : seems to just work, not strewn with ads, you can connect into cloud services etc.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Solid Explorer's FTP server has been working great for me to link my phone with my FireTV's Kodi app.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks for the replies! SolidExplorer seems to tick most of the boxes in one go, and SimpleSSHD might work out for an SSH server, just need to get my head around that + SimpleBusyBox a bit more.

(I did mean server not client as I was looking to edit RetroArch etc config files from my laptop rather than on the device)

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Froist posted:

Thanks for the replies! SolidExplorer seems to tick most of the boxes in one go, and SimpleSSHD might work out for an SSH server, just need to get my head around that + SimpleBusyBox a bit more.

(I did mean server not client as I was looking to edit RetroArch etc config files from my laptop rather than on the device)

Sounds like Termux could also work for you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I often see ftp mentioned in the context of transferring files to or from a phone, why is that? I'm getting by fine with samba shares, is there some benefit to using one or the other?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

I often see ftp mentioned in the context of transferring files to or from a phone, why is that? I'm getting by fine with samba shares, is there some benefit to using one or the other?

Do you have to download the files to use them on the "client" computer?

I have an HTPC and use FTP to stream the video files from my desktop. Figured I may as well just log into that with my phone if I need one of the files, it's already set up and running.

Edit: guess this only works for me when I'm on the same network as the desktop, but I mostly only care about this when I'm in the house. I don't really need to get this stuff on the phone. I do use OneDrive and that stores my photos, which I care about most on my phone.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 14, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Do you have to download the files to use them on the "client" computer?

I have an HTPC and use FTP to stream the video files from my desktop. Figured I may as well just log into that with my phone if I need one of the files, it's already set up and running.

Edit: guess this only works for me when I'm on the same network as the desktop, but I mostly only care about this when I'm in the house. I don't really need to get this stuff on the phone. I do use OneDrive and that stores my photos, which I care about most on my phone.
There's no pre-downloading involved or anything like that. It's just another file location except on the network. You can do anything you would be able to do with local files. I play video on my set top box straight from the nas, without any additional services like dlna or ftp running. On the local network of course, I'll not exposing all this to the internet.

I went with samba because the network attached storage, the windows computers, the set top box, really whatever do this out of the box and on the phone it just takes pretty much any third party explorer app to access it all. I guess remotely accessing what's on the phone directly would take some more doing, but I don't have a lot of use for that. Did I just answer my own question here?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That honestly sounds like apps I tried like 7 years ago that weren't quite good enough, so I went back to FTP.

I'd say I should look into it, but my system doesn't give me any headaches, so it's not really worth my time upgrading. :shrug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh no, if it works, don't touch it. I'm honestly not asserting superiority one way or the other. Couldn't get it to work reliably way back is a valid answer to what I'm asking.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I have a ton of Google survey dollars and they start expiring next month. What are people's favorite/most useful/weirdest apps?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have a ton of Google survey dollars and they start expiring next month. What are people's favorite/most useful/weirdest apps?

Good question, I'd like to also hear. I wish Google still sold music.

(I spend mine in a game I play for things I don't need, but better than the credits just disappearing.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just use my fun bucks to pay for Google One storage.

$1.99 month and I usually have that much in surveys in a month so things stay steady state.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

$1.99 month and I usually have that much in surveys in a month so things stay steady state.

This

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was using mine to pay for Google/YouTube music but I just realized it's not working anymore. Weird.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could do that. As much as I don't want to capitulate to Google for removing free photo storage on principle, I guess I might have to go for this.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Same. Thanks for the recommendation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Is there a more reliable option than AMDroid? I've been using it mostly fine for a few years but every once in awhile the alarm goes off with no sound. I've been late to work the last 2 days because of this. Luckily my job isn't too strict about time, but a more reliable option would be nice to have. Maybe just use the build in alarm as a backup?