Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cross posting from bike thread

does anyone have any experience with Wing eBikes? I'm, still kinda on the wanting to go ebike route and they seem right in the price range I am looking for, but all the reviews im seeing are either "THIS BIKE IS GREAT SO IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!" posted 3 years ago or "THIS IS A HUNK OF poo poo THAT BROKE DAY 1 AND CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPLETELY GHOSTS ME" posted 8 months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm a tall guy and the biggest thing for me on my regular bike was frame size. I destroyed my back on my first few bikes and only resolved it when I specifically tracked down xl frames in the 62 or 63cm range for my last couple.

I'm not sure what to do on an e-bike because frame sizes are more limited. I can go to giant and get a whole range, but a lot of the companies that make e-bikes only have one to two frame sizes. A couple of hours won't tell me about back issues and I don't know enough about how I should fit a more upright frame to be sure about fit on a test ride.

Would I be reasonably safe on a fairly upright frame that isn't as big because the geometry is less sensitive to height than a road bike? Anyone have any experiences like this?

I didn't splurge on a regular bike until I spent a bunch of time on used beaters and knew what I needed. It's not really an option given ebike prices

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Frame size is a lot more important on a road bike than an upright bike with high bars. As long as they have more than 1 size there is a good chance you'll be okay with the larger size.

I am working with the assumption that you are not an extreme outlier like Shaq.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Nah. 6'4", not some seven foot tall guy. Just feeling the back situation more than I was ten years ago!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Do you already have a bike that you know is comfortable for you? Slapping a motor and a battery on that is gonna be the most sure thing as far as getting fit right.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

yeah at 6'5" I just went with a motor kit on my commuter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

acidx posted:

Do you already have a bike that you know is comfortable for you? Slapping a motor and a battery on that is gonna be the most sure thing as far as getting fit right.

If you have a reasonably high tolerance for loving around, yeah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

If you have a reasonably high tolerance for loving around, yeah.

I do and I considered getting a kit for my dad's bike, since he worked out all the ergonomics and accessories the way he wants. But a decent kit with a battery seems like would be half the price of a whole bike, I'd have to set it up and maintain it, and the end result would be ugly and half-assed anyway.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I'm 5'11" (mostly due to long limbs) and got a Lectric XP Step-Thru 2.0 with the suspension seat post. The seat at maximum height just barely lets me get a full leg extension, but due to the seat compressing down while riding, I can never break a sweat pedaling or my knees will feel like I owe the mafia money. So I just kinda lightly move the pedals and let the motor do most of the work, which is fine for commuting. Had I done more research, I would have bought the regular XP 2.0 for its higher maximum height.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Get a longer seat post? Diameters are plentiful but if you have a set of calipers you can measure what you need and most likely find something that will solve your ergonomics problem. Personally I dislike seat post suspension but people like different things.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Invalido posted:

Get a longer seat post? Diameters are plentiful but if you have a set of calipers you can measure what you need and most likely find something that will solve your ergonomics problem.

Specs I pulled from a review (not even the site itself, which is so typical of low end e-bikes):
SEAT POST:
Aluminum Alloy, Tapered Clamp Mount
SEAT POST LENGTH:
500 mm
SEAT POST DIAMETER:
31.8 mm

To get more height, you'd be going into Brompton territory.
https://www.amazon.com/TOOYFUL-Aluminum-Folding-Bicycle-Equipment/dp/B09CKV8W78?th=1

This one's only an extra 4", though since it's rigid it probably gives you a couple extra effective inches on top.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SamsCola posted:

Speaking of R&M, I have had my eye on their Multicharger for a couple years now. It's got all the bells and whistles that I'd want on a bike, but are they worth the money? The Tern HSD also has everything I am looking for, but it's $3k less...

I currently have a Radrunner and, while I like it a lot, I have some quality issues with it. Plus I definitely need gears and I think it's like to have a middrive while I'm at it.
I've ridden R&M bikes and they're nice, but not $3k nicer (to me). The 20" wheels are really what makes a long tail nice to ride once you load it up, and the GSD/HSD are the nicest of that bunch IME.

T.C. posted:

Would I be reasonably safe on a fairly upright frame that isn't as big because the geometry is less sensitive to height than a road bike? Anyone have any experiences like this?
Lots of bikes have extremely wide size ranges, and while you can't try most DTC bikes, lots of brands have local resellers who'll let you try them (and help you take care of them if you decide to buy there).

T.C. posted:

Nah. 6'4", not some seven foot tall guy. Just feeling the back situation more than I was ten years ago!
6'4" should be totally doable on most cargo bikes. Which ones have you looked at?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 28, 2022

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Specs I pulled from a review (not even the site itself, which is so typical of low end e-bikes):
SEAT POST:
Aluminum Alloy, Tapered Clamp Mount
SEAT POST LENGTH:
500 mm
SEAT POST DIAMETER:
31.8 mm

To get more height, you'd be going into Brompton territory.
https://www.amazon.com/TOOYFUL-Aluminum-Folding-Bicycle-Equipment/dp/B09CKV8W78?th=1

This one's only an extra 4", though since it's rigid it probably gives you a couple extra effective inches on top.

Thanks for the link! The 600mm seat post you listed should be more comfortable than my suspension 400mm. I'll do an update when it gets here in 2-4 weeks.

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 29, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

T.C. posted:

I'm a tall guy and the biggest thing for me on my regular bike was frame size. I destroyed my back on my first few bikes and only resolved it when I specifically tracked down xl frames in the 62 or 63cm range for my last couple.

I'm not sure what to do on an e-bike because frame sizes are more limited. I can go to giant and get a whole range, but a lot of the companies that make e-bikes only have one to two frame sizes. A couple of hours won't tell me about back issues and I don't know enough about how I should fit a more upright frame to be sure about fit on a test ride.

I didn't splurge on a regular bike until I spent a bunch of time on used beaters and knew what I needed. It's not really an option given ebike prices

Do you live in a place where you could find a shop to sit on a few? I've definitely felt like sizing is way less sensitive on an upright fat tire ebike that replaced a drop bar road bike for me, but it's hard to get a feel for it without at least going around the block on one.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm visiting my grandparents on the East Coast and took a day to myself to do a 30-mile circuit of New York City on a Citi Bike ebike. Would have liked to get a proper ebike rental where I could turn off the assist as I'd like, but the Citi Bike ended up a little cheaper and much more convenient pickup/dropoff. Had intended to stick to the riverfronts, but eastside's bike routes are spotty at best and I ended going straight through the middle down to Battery Park, then back up the much easier westside greenways. The poor bike finally gave out mere blocks before my destination going up a steep hill just past the Little Red Lighthouse.

Definitely a fun way to get out and see the city for those who might otherwise struggle with long ride in mixed traffic! Maybe one of these days we'll get cars banned from the city and open the streets up to people.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
More city bike share should have ebikes, it's ideal since those are always big heavy clunky bikes to start with and the e-assist fixes that. I wish my city did.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Academician Nomad posted:

More city bike share should have ebikes, it's ideal since those are always big heavy clunky bikes to start with and the e-assist fixes that. I wish my city did.
I think most places are still swapping out batteries manually but dock-based bike share systems are also perfect for ebikes if they can just work out the details of how to connect the docks to electricity and charge the bikes automatically when they're docked.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Spent more time with the Rize MD. Pretty happy with it so far. I'm definitely on the heavier side, and it's got no problem getting me up the steepest hills in Seattle provided I'm in the right gear and pedaling myself.

Only 50 miles on it so far since I got out of surgery, so not a ton of use, but the bike feels well made. I did have to spend a bunch of time reindexing the rear derailleur, which isn't too challenging.

The other thing that I want to point out is that it is big. It's not quite fat-bike big, but people on the trail will not mistake you for a regular cyclist. That weight and size also makes it far more cumbersome after you stop pedaling. In retrospect, I would probably have been fine with something like a Priority Current, but I don't feel bad about my choice.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I sometimes feel like I should have gotten a Rize MD since it seems better than my RadRover 6 on paper and is only a few hundo more. But the fact that Rad Power has a local shop nearby, and that they are such a successful company and thus will be around when I need them, gives me the peace of mind that tipped me over the edge. I'm also very happy with my RadRover 6 after over a hundred miles now. The motor can be 'unlocked' using the debug mode on the pedal assist software, so it's pretty easy to maintain 24mph on flat open terrain, and acceleration feels nice and snappy. My only negative would also be the bulk. At about 75lbs with my baskets, the RadRover 6 is a chunky boy and a little more of a pain in the rear end than I'd like. I also somewhat regret not getting a step through, on further reflection. But I know what I signed up for. It's still a great bike.

That is a sick red on the Rize as well. I was also looking at Vanmoof, and those things are so ugly in comparison..

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I need someone to tell me I'm very stupid for wanting to buy an Urban Arrow since the third kid is coming and the trailer will not fit them all - it does not feel like a good use of $8000 but I really want it!

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Sab0921 posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm very stupid for wanting to buy an Urban Arrow since the third kid is coming and the trailer will not fit them all - it does not feel like a good use of $8000 but I really want it!

Do it. Box bikes are rad AF.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Citizen Z posted:

Do it. Box bikes are rad AF.

There is an even more expensive one - drat wtf I don't even know why it's more expensive but I want it because it is. Marketing is a hell of a drug

https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/load-75/

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Sounds like it's time for a trike, no?

e - great little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmDu0EinBs

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
After getting a new job that requires I commute back into the city every day, I’ve put a deposit down on a low mileage second hand bike.

The distance is only 18km/11mi each way, so it seems a great opportunity for a twice daily bike ride, over sitting in traffic, parking and paying for $20 every day for the privilege.

I knew I wanted a mid-drive torque sensing bike, and eventually found a barely used 2020 Avanti mid drive with a Shimano 6000 for a pretty solid deal.

Really looking forward to putting some mileage on it, maybe posting in here a bit when I break things.

PuntCuncher fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 11, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Seconding a trike. They're not bikes and they're not fast but a trike with an articulated box trike similar to that one is an incredibly useful vehicle for heavy hauling and fun to ride in it's own right. You'll se them with five kids or so onboard at times so three including a baby seat plus their stuff and your stuff should be easily doable. Also along with their not-a-bike disadvantages, trikes come with a unique set of advantages some of which are pretty neat.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Invalido posted:

Seconding a trike. They're not bikes and they're not fast but a trike with an articulated box trike similar to that one is an incredibly useful vehicle for heavy hauling and fun to ride in it's own right. You'll se them with five kids or so onboard at times so three including a baby seat plus their stuff and your stuff should be easily doable. Also along with their not-a-bike disadvantages, trikes come with a unique set of advantages some of which are pretty neat.

What's the benefit over a bakfiet?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Sab0921 posted:

What's the benefit over a bakfiet?

The killer benefit is a bigger box. Much bigger even. Easily twice the number of kids no sweat. The weight is right over the front wheels so if those are good you can load well over 100 kg with no issue which few bakfiets can handle. Also easier to load and unload and ride at slow speeds, or when being pushed around or reversing. A bakfiets or any two wheeler really can be quite cumbersome when it's very heavy, what with getting on and off the center stand and just unstable mass in general (which shifts around a bit when it's lively kids onboard even if they're strapped in). It's literally a balancing act and the slower you go the trickier it gets. I'm fine with it, but I'm pretty strong and I have good technique. My wife rode it lots and liked it until the weight of both kids reached critical mass and after that she wouldn't ride it with two kids in the box anymore since she had a tip over and thought it too sketchy after that. Even a very heavy trike is super easy to handle at no or very low speed. It won't tip over and there's no muscling it onto or off the center stand. Just set the parking brake and it's done. At high speed the trike is a much shittier ride and it really sucks offroad or when space is tight but all things considered it's still what I'd personally choose for moving three kids around over moderate distances.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
I've got about 250 miles on my Rize MD now. The platform is very nice, among the better quality e-bikes I've messed with. The biggest thing that annoys me still is the motor wants to spin fast, so starting from a stop in a high gear is not ideal, and downshifting while braking is just weird. I've decided to change the cassette out with a Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal hub. Parts weren't much on Amazon, and my bike guy will lace up the wheel and get me dialed in.

Being able to click down at a light or something and get back to speed quickly seems really neat. Plus maintenance should no longer be a problem once I change over.

I'll keep the thread updated!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

strangeless posted:

among the better quality e-bikes I've messed with.
What others have you tried?

quote:

The biggest thing that annoys me still is the motor wants to spin fast, so starting from a stop in a high gear is not ideal, and downshifting while braking is just weird.

This is torque sensing, right? Is the issue on starting is how much you have to suddenly spin up to match the rpm the motor sets?

On downshifting while braking, is that just a controls ergonomics thing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

gently caress you, do it.

Sab0921 posted:

There is an even more expensive one - drat wtf I don't even know why it's more expensive

https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/load-75/
because r&m are expensive to begin with, and the load is fully suspended.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

e - great little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmDu0EinBs
Tadpoles near-universally ride like poo poo (because your track gets narrower and your effective wheelbase increases as you turn, and your weight is at the end of a long lever since you can't lean).

Invalido posted:

The killer benefit is a bigger box. Much bigger even. Easily twice the number of kids no sweat. The weight is right over the front wheels so if those are good you can load well over 100 kg with no issue which few bakfiets can handle. Also easier to load and unload and ride at slow speeds, or when being pushed around or reversing. A bakfiets or any two wheeler really can be quite cumbersome when it's very heavy, what with getting on and off the center stand and just unstable mass in general (which shifts around a bit when it's lively kids onboard even if they're strapped in). It's literally a balancing act and the slower you go the trickier it gets. I'm fine with it, but I'm pretty strong and I have good technique. My wife rode it lots and liked it until the weight of both kids reached critical mass and after that she wouldn't ride it with two kids in the box anymore since she had a tip over and thought it too sketchy after that. Even a very heavy trike is super easy to handle at no or very low speed. It won't tip over and there's no muscling it onto or off the center stand. Just set the parking brake and it's done. At high speed the trike is a much shittier ride and it really sucks offroad or when space is tight but all things considered it's still what I'd personally choose for moving three kids around over moderate distances.
boo-this-man.gif

real answer: give both a try, but the workcycles kr8 and urban arrow both ride great IMO.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 11, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
With an internally geared hub, you can downshift while you are stopped.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

boo-this-man.gif
poo poo, I never thought I'd find myself arguing for trikes of all things. I think they're an abomination. Two wheels good, three wheels bad. They just happen to offer utility that isn't available in any other package. They're like a mini van I guess (never had one). It's not something you necessarily want but at some point you just have to give up and accept that they make a whole lot of sense. Also any electric cargo bike (even if not actually a bike) full of happy kids is bound to be an awesome thing even if it rides like poo poo. The kids won't care. But the larger truth is that no parent of young kids that get any kind of e-cargobike is going to regret taking the step. These things improve quality of life immensely no matter which model you choose. They're useful and fun and fantastic and everyone should have one and stop loving driving everywhere because driving sucks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If you're going to the width of two wheels side by side, why not just go all the way to four wheels? You're going to have the same width limitations, and it's going be more stable.

Something like:

or:

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

poo poo, I never thought I'd find myself arguing for trikes of all things. I think they're an abomination. Two wheels good, three wheels bad. They just happen to offer utility that isn't available in any other package. They're like a mini van I guess (never had one). It's not something you necessarily want but at some point you just have to give up and accept that they make a whole lot of sense.
I think the scale at which they make sense is when you have >4 kids. Preschools around here have them to whisk kids to local playgrounds and museums and they're awesome for that. They load 6-8 kids each on 2 benches along the sides, facing each other (like in a troop transport), with the gear under the benches or on a rear rack.

example of something you can get in the US:
https://bunchbike.com/products/the-preschool-electric-cargo-bike-for-6-kids

Invalido posted:

Also any electric cargo bike (even if not actually a bike) full of happy kids is bound to be an awesome thing even if it rides like poo poo. The kids won't care. But the larger truth is that no parent of young kids that get any kind of e-cargobike is going to regret taking the step. These things improve quality of life immensely no matter which model you choose. They're useful and fun and fantastic and everyone should have one and stop loving driving everywhere because driving sucks.
This so much. Even our older kid (8YO) still much prefers getting scooted around to riding his own on the street or (gasp!) *walking*
We were the first to have one in our building and now there's a dozen or so. Mostly tadpoles /spit

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

I think the scale at which they make sense is when you have >4 kids.
or your three kids and a few of their friends. Or just your own kids plus the two oldest siblings' bikes cause they're too tired to ride any more. Or all your kids and a cartload of groceries. Or just two of the kids but also their grandma. Not strictly necessary maybe, but spare capacity comes in handy pretty often in real life in my experience at least.

As for quads I kind of like the idea of them. I built one once. It didn't have a proper differential or any suspension apart from tire and frame flex, but those things would have made it much better. Reverse gear was the Flintstone method, but it really would have needed that too. When it wasn't broken it saw some use hauling construction sheets and tools around on a flat large site which was neat (it was shaped like a pickup truck with two recumbent pedal stations side by side and a bed in the back), but a good quad needs to be complex which means expensive and heavy and big, which I guess is why you don't see many of them around.

Anyways, the ideal number of wheels shall always remain two, for obvious reasons.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

acidx posted:

With an internally geared hub, you can downshift while you are stopped.

Yes, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you're going to the width of two wheels side by side, why not just go all the way to four wheels? You're going to have the same width limitations, and it's going be more stable.

Something like:

or:

Yeah why is that? I guess aside from the weight, and the centred riding position, there might still be some manoeuvrability advantages to a trike despite having the same width at the front? Or people just want to hang onto the “bike”- ness?

Also those recumbent DHL pedal assisted things, despite how janky they look, are likely the future of urban cargo deliveries

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Something like:

or:

This is just a car but shittier.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shittier in my favor. Run me over with that DHL recumbent, not a mail truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Shittier in my favor. Run me over with that DHL recumbent, not a mail truck.

I assume they were talking about the top pic. The DHL recumbent is absolutely not a car but shittier, it’s an E Bike which can do a lot of the work of a van.. It fits in bike lanes and operates on pedal assist and can legitimately and easily shave significant percentage points off our collective petrol consumption (and noise and particulate pollution), today.